invisible string! → ron weasl...

Per -LASERBRAIN

the story of how ron weasley and kates kinley survived their years at hogwarts...and managed to fall in love... Més

INVISIBLE STRING!
i. the sorting
ii. the troll (not) in the dungeon
iii. the chamber
iv. the common room & the witness
v. the fourth year
vi. the order
vii. the lies of the daily prophet
viii. the secret army
ix. the first battle
x. the train
xii. the match
xiii. the christmas party
xiv. the midnight encounter
xv. the lavender problem
xvi. the astronomy tower
xvii. the world on fire
xviii. the spy
xix. the cottage

xi. the trials

83 9 28
Per -LASERBRAIN

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

KATES TOOK IT PERSONALLY when it was revealed Snape was to be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts that year. She really, genuinely thought she'd never have to be in his class again, yet there they were. Honestly, she was shocked to have gotten an Outstanding in the class, but as many people had told her, her skill with spells did in fact extend beyond Charms. Her quick reflexes and advance skill with magic made her far better at Defense than she had originally thought.

To her relief, their first lesson was to practice producing a nonverbal shield charm—something Kates had done several times at the end of last year. She performed one with ease, earning a playful "show off" from Dean and what could possibly have been a hum of approval from Snape. The class period, which had ended in a rather humorous manner thanks to Harry's witty remarks, reassured Kates significantly in terms of spending yet another year in Snape's classroom. At least it was a class where she knew what she was doing.

Kates was elated when the morning of the Gryffindor Quidditch trials arrived. Not only would it give her a chance to watch some Quidditch for the first time in months, but from what she had been hearing all week, it was going to be quite the spectacle. A great many people had applied for the team, surely because of Harry's celebrity status. He was, after all, the "Chosen One", and apparently that title made him the most interesting student at Hogwarts. Kates, like everyone else who truly knew him, found the whole thing rather amusing.

She walked down to the grounds that morning with Hermione, Neville, Ginny, Ron, Seamus, and Dean. The latter four were all going to be trying out, and all but Ginny were quite nervous.

"You'll all do brilliantly," Kates told them, and her optimism and good spirit that morning were enough to make the three of them groan.

"Ron and Ginny, maybe," muttered Seamus, "they were on the team last year. But Dean and I? We're goners."

"Speak for yourself," said Dean, who threw his shoulders back in a sudden burst of confidence. "Now, with everyone trying out, who knows, but I think we've got a fair shot." It was clear he was trying to convince himself as much as—if not more than—the others.

"I'm certain most of the people who signed up won't exactly be competition," said Hermione, speaking in a hushed tone. They weren't the only ones heading down to the Quidditch Pitch that morning; observers and candidates alike were making their way.

"Most of them are there for Harry," said Neville with a shrug, not caring if anyone overheard him. His self confidence has skyrocketed within the last year, and Kates was incredibly proud of him. "I'm sure you lot will do just fine."

The group split up at the Pitch, and Kates went up to the stands with Hermione and Neville to enjoy the show. The stands were mostly empty, but that wasn't saying much given how they could hold the whole school. Kates had attended the trials each year since she started at Hogwarts and never had she seen so many people. About three fourths of them were fellow Gryffindors—most of whom she knew had no interest whatsoever in the trials themselves—and the rest were students from other houses, surely with the same motivations. They, she knew, were only there to watch Harry in his natural habitat as if he were an animal in a muggle zoo. That part irked her; she would happily watch people fumble about the Pitch in an effort to spend time with him, but having them sit in the stands just to examine him was a different matter entirely.

"They're watching us too, you know," Hermione said into her ear, and as Kates took another look around she could confirm her friend's words to be true. People would occasionally divert their attention from the field and turn it on the trio in the stands. They would whisper to their friends, then look away.

"I know they think we're heroes," began Neville from Kates's other side, this time choosing to speak quietly. "But from the way they look when they're talking about us, you'd think we did something wrong." Kates silently agreed; suddenly in need of a distraction, she was grateful when Harry began the trials. Almost as if a switch were flipped, she was back in high spirits, looking forward to seeing the first broom go in the air.

Truthfully, trials weren't too exciting (other than the drama that would occur this time, of course, but that's beside the point). Drills were a great way of seeing how a potential player would do during the season, but really Kates loved them because it meant the season would indeed be starting soon.

As a kid, Quidditch had been the one thing Kates Kinley could enjoy that her parents approved of. She couldn't care less if they approved of her or not (as shown by her actions over the past several years), but there were a few moments with her parents and brother that she could look back on and smile, and those were all thanks to Quidditch. She had grown up sitting in the French Minister's box and watching countless French National Team matches, and whilst they were incredibly disappointing (the team had certainly seen better days), they were still thrilling and entertaining. It was her parents, she realized, that she had to thank for her love of the sport.

Huh, she thought to herself. At least they were good for something.

The Chaser trials were a hilarious mess. A few flyers had merit, but their skill was overshadowed by foolish first-years, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, and gaggles of giggling girls. Kates had a few good laughs, and as the last group of potential Chasers landed she had forgotten all about the other students in the stands. As the Beater trials began, Dean and Seamus slumped onto the bench in front of where Kates and the others sat, both looking rather defeated.

"Told you so," muttered Seamus, and Dean, who sat with his legs on either side of the bench as to face his friends better, rolled his eyes but didn't respond.

"At least you two are in reserves," said Kates, offering them a reassuring smile.

"As much as I want to play, I hope we aren't needed," said Dean, looking a little less pitiful now that he wasn't putting up with Seamus' pessimism. "Ginny, Katie, and Demelza deserved the spots anyway, they did brilliantly."

The Beater tryouts were far less exciting than the Chaser tryouts, but Harry did have to throw several people off the field once he told them they didn't make the team. Kates found herself awaiting the Keeper trials, and as they began, she leaned forward with interest. Ron, she noticed, was getting considerable attention from Lavender Brown, but he merely gave her an awkward smile and searched the stands for someone else. For whom, Kates wasn't sure, but his eyes found hers for a moment and his smile became genuine. She beamed back at him, giving him a thumbs up in encouragement, then he mounted his broom and took to the skies.

Perhaps it was because of her skill in Charms, or because she was sitting right beside her, but Hermione's little Confundus charm was not lost on Kates. She turned to her friend, who looked at her with wide eyes as she felt her gaze on her. Then, Kates donned an amused smirk.

"I wish I had thought of that," she said, and Hermione bit back a laugh. "Not really a fan of McLaggen."

"Is anyone?" said Hermione, and the two girls giggled together before returning their attention to the trials. The charm, they silently decided, would be added to the ever-growing list of their shared secrets.

Half an hour later found Kates and Ron smiling at each other again, this time outside the Quidditch Pitch. Dean and Seamus applauded him in jest, and he gave them a hyperbolic bow.

"Told you you'd do brilliantly," said Kates as he slowed to a stop in front of their group. He shrugged modestly.

"Yeah, well, I caught a break, didn't I? If McLaggen hadn't missed that goal, I reckon he'd be Keeper right now instead of me." It took everything in her to not look at Hermione.

"All the better," said Seamus. "McLaggen's head's big enough as it is. If he made the team, I think he'd explode." Dean laughed loudly. "Well, I think this calls for celebration. Lunch, anyone?"

"How's lunch a celebration?" asked Dean as they started to head for the castle.

"I dunno, I'm just starvin'." Kates laughed at her friends and began to follow them up toward the castle. The two bickering boys led the group, followed by Hermione and Neville with Ron and Kates bringing up the rear.

"Congratulations," she told him as they walked. "It was a tough round of trials, you should be proud of yourself." Ron, who was suddenly red in the face, shrugged again.

"I guess I am," he murmured, staring at the ground. "I'm bloody nervous though, if I'm being honest. Last year was one thing, but this year..."

"What's so different?" she asked as it was clear he wasn't planning on finishing his sentence.

"I don't know," he sighed. "A lot's different this year." As they neared the castle, his gaze fell on the pair of Aurors flanking the castle doors. Kates' smile fell.

"At least we can count on this Ministry again," she replied, ever the optimist even whilst speaking solemnly.

"It's not even just that. I feel like...things are changing, ya know? We're all changing as we grow older." It was an oddly mature thing for him to say, but she supposed it only proved his point. They were changing.

"For the better, though," she reassured him, the corners of her lips turning up again ever so slightly. "I mean, look at us. We were never this close. We only became good friends in the last year or so."

"True," he said, and as she looked to him she saw that he was smiling too. They entered the castle, and as Kates prepared to enter the Great Hall with her friends, she stopped in her tracks. Her brother had just left, and he had done so alone. Her heart skipped a beat; after waiting over a year to have a conversation with him alone, she may finally have her chance.

"What is it?" Ron was by her side, looking concerned. She faced him.

"I'll catch up with you all in a bit. There's something I have to take care of." He looked curious, but she was grateful when he didn't question her. He merely nodded and went on, and with one last glance his way she took off in the direction Wesley had gone.

She jogged to catch up, following him on several turns until she was close enough to get his attention.

"Wesley," she called out to him, slowing to a stop just a few feet behind where he had stopped upon hearing her voice. He turned to face her, a look of surprise written across his features.

"Katherine." It was the first time in years she hadn't despised hearing her full name. The way he said it was somehow comforting. It gave her hope for the direction of their conversation...but there was something else she had to check on before she could get too confident.

"I'm surprised you're not with Carrow. You two were always inseparable."

"With everything going on, we've all been told to keep a low profile." He let out a low chuckle, his gaze falling to the ground. "Besides, we aren't as close as we used to be. He doesn't know that, of course, but it's true nonetheless." Kates nearly smiled; that was precisely the response she had been hoping for. She visibly relaxed, but only just. Wesley looked back up at her, and whilst he tried to maintain a straight expression, she noted that his eyes were softer than she had seen them in quite some time. "I heard about what happened at the Ministry. You were lucky."

"We were." Neither of them said anything for a moment. Then, Kates noticed the black ink peeking out from the bottom of his sleeve. Her heart sank. "You got it, didn't you?" It wasn't a question, and the defeated look on her face must have been downright pitiful because her brother sighed and averted his gaze. He tugged his sleeve down.

"Last summer," he murmured, and she heard shame in his voice. "Wesley and I both did, about a month after you left."

"Wes," she sighed, taking a step closer to him. He stood up a bit straighter, turning his head to the side and keeping his gaze on the floor, as if he couldn't bear to look at her. She took a cautious glance around, then continued. "You've just been pretending this whole time, haven't you? Since Cedric's death?" He nodded, but didn't reply and didn't look up at her. She lowered her voice. "You can get out, I can help—"

"No," he said finally, looking up at her. He had, she could tell, come to some sort of decision. He looked suddenly certain of whatever it was he was about to say. "I can do more good where I am, you'll see." Kates' eyes widened.

"You can't mean as a—"

"Not here," he told her firmly. "What I can say is that I'm sorry for how I treated you when we were younger. I didn't...I didn't know—"

"I know," she told him softly. In spite of herself, the corners of her lips turned up ever so slightly. "I knew you'd come to your senses sooner or later." He shook his head, but she noticed that he too looked a little less grim than he had earlier.

"You're really not mad at me? You give me too much credit."

"Maybe," she shrugged. "Or maybe I just knew you better than you knew yourself."

"We'll give yourself some credit too, why don't you." He looked around to ensure their conversation was still private, then continued, but he spoke in vague terms just in case. "The incident made me realize the cause may not be as noble as it seems, but when you left, I tried to see and hear things from your perspective." Kates' smile brightened. "I should get back before Carrow gets suspicious, I told him I wouldn't be too far behind. I only took back hallways because I knew I was being followed." He smirked at her, and she flashed him a grin. With one last nod, he was on his way, and she watched him go before turning around and heading to the Great Hall.

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

16.1K 469 39
If every person we loved leave us, could we make our mind to love anyone? Either you love them so they can leave, or you don't love them so they won'...
46K 863 21
Y/N and the Weasley twins have always been close. What happens when she starts to fall for one of them? ˗ˏˋ a little bit of love and a sprinkle of 𝘴...
7.1K 177 72
Charlotte Hodges finds herself in the middle of a love triangle. One of those boys being her red-headed best friend. Then one night she found him wai...
55.5K 822 35
You're a Gryffindor in your sixth(or fifth. Whatever year they're in in goblet of fire) year with Fred and George Weasley. You'd been best friends si...