Joshua's Grace

By SusanGarod

Grace is a thirty something workaholic in New Zealand, who returns from a conference to find that her father... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (2)
Chapter 1 (3)
Chapter 2 (1)
Chapter 2 (2)
Chapter 2 (3)
Chapter 3 (1)
Chapter 3 (2)
Chapter 3 (3)
Chapter 4 (1)
Chapter 4 (2)
Chapter 4 (3)
Chapter 5 (1)
Chapter 5 (2)
Chapter 5 (3)
Chapter 6 (1)
Chapter 6(2)
Chapter 6 (3)
Chapter 7 (1)
Chapter 7 (2)
Chapter 7 (3)
Chapter 8 (1)
Chapter 8 (2)
Chapter 8 (3)
Chapter 9 (1)
Chapter 9 (2)
Chapter 9 (3)
Chapter 10 (1)
Chapter 10 (2)
Chapter 10(3)
Chapter 11 (1)
Chapter 11 (2)
Chapter 11 (3)
Chapter 12 (1)
Chapter 12 (2)
Chapter 12 (3)
Chapter 13 (1)
Chapter 13 (2)
Chapter 13(3)
Chapter 14 (1)
Chapter 14 (2)
Chapter 14 (3)
Chapter 15 (2)
Chapter 15 (3)
Chapter 16 (1)
Chapter 16 (2)
Chapter 16 (3)
Chapter 17 (1)
Chapter 17 (2)
Chapter 17 (3)
Chapter 18 (1)
Chapter 18(2)
Chapter 18 (3)
Conclusion

Chapter 15 (1)

10 1 0
By SusanGarod

He drove down to Hamilton on Friday and they went to the cinema. "I was expecting Sasha to be here." Grace flashed him a speaking look. He laughed.

"She's gone surfing with her mates this weekend. Whangamata. Feel in need of a chaperone do you?"

Joshua hesitated, "Yes. But the cinema is pretty public, that should keep you safe." He took her arm, "What would you like to see?"

"I'm not sure." She closed the door behind her. " Anything romantic on at the moment?"

Joshua groaned. "I suppose science fiction is out?"

Grace shook her head, "No, I can cope with a scifi movie. Though I should warn you I cried at ET."

"ET?"
Grace nodded, before continuing, " I won't go to a horror movie." 

"Ok, horror movies are out. What about comedy?"
"Yes. But subtle humour rather than slapstick."
"Picky."
"You asked." 

An ordinary date. He bought the tickets, she bought the popcorn. They talked through the ads and then settled to watch a comedy that neither of them was really interested in. But for appearances sake they sat through it, their fingers laced, their eyes on the screen.

Coffee was an automatic next stage. Coffee made, and drunk, Joshua asked if he could stay the night. He asked nervously, she agreed shyly, and fortunately, for both of them, he stayed.

A shaft of light tickled her eyelids until Grace sleepily forced her eyes open. But she was reluctant to wake up. She burrowed deeper, snuggling against the body beside her. A warm male body to cuddle up to. She closed her eyes and drank in the intimacy, revelling in the fact that they had gone past the stage of coyness.

"You keep that up, and you and I are going to be exercising early." Joshua whispered against her skin.

Grace tipped her head back and turned toward the voice. Firm warm lips teased at her ear lobe before kissing her cheek. His tongue tracing faint circles as he moved his lips along her jawline.

"I like exercising." She told him impudently. The hand that was stroking up and down her spine moved higher to hold her head whilst he kissed her soundly.

"Me too." He whispered then rolled her. "Lots of exercise."

"Perfect." The smirk in her voice was swallowed as his lips retraced their path back to her face and her parted mouth. That was the end of lucid conversation that early Saturday morning.

It was way past mid-morning when Joshua finally made it into the kitchen. He'd showered and as the kitchen was between the shower and the rest of the house, he had to walk through the kitchen to get back to the bedroom and his clothes. As he sauntered past, with a towel around his hips, Grace couldn't help voicing the question that had been revisited in her thoughts for days. 

"Why exactly did you suggest marriage?" The question had been with her ever since her talk with Sasha. She needed to know. But she wasn't sure how to ask. And she wasn't sure when would be a good time? Before sex? During? After? Time to be bold. Enough of this guess work. Now seemed like a good time. They'd been great in bed, they were always great in bed.

It was the last thing Joshua was expecting to be asked, so his response was semi-automatic. "Lots of reasons." He shrugged not realising just how important his answer was. What a crazy question to ask after such a fantastic night. It was obvious, surely.

"Like?" She questioned bluntly. She was going to wait this out. She needed to know. Joshua looked her over, frowning in genuine puzzlement. What had brought this on, he wondered. How ready was she for the truth?

He stalled. "Why don't I get some clothes on. We can sit outside and talk."

It wasn't the right answer. He could see it in her face. She turned away from him. Well Sasha was wrong, Grace admitted to herself as she put aside her feelings of loss. If he was already in love with her, he would have told her. She had just given him the perfect opportunity. Especially after last night. He might want to sleep with her, but he didn't love her. If only he did. But she couldn't let him see just how much she'd needed the words, not when he wasn't feeling the way she was. She strove for indifference. "Forget it. I was just curious that's all." Her voice sounded calm.

"O.k.," He grimaced, seeing that he'd lost this round, knowing that she wasn't going to take note of anything he said now because he'd blown it. "You're fun, you're sensitive, compassionate, caring, loyal and stubborn, a great kisser, terrific figure, you're great to be with, though a touch illogical, you don't cling, you aren't after my money, you're intelligent, you're attractive and we have good sex." He rattled off what ever came to mind. He could tell that he had floored her and his lips twitched as he tried to suppress a smile. "Good enough reasons?" He asked flippantly when she still hadn't spoken.

"You can buy good sex at the corner of Queen's and Ruawhine." She snapped having finally found her voice.

"Oh really?" Both eyebrows rose in teasing union.

"Look, I don't really know why you were hassling me into marrying you, for all I care you can go marry Lysette." Now why had she said that? She certainly didn't want to give him the impression that she was jealous. The way she was going, that would be the only conclusion he would draw. And he'd be right.

He quirked a brow at her, "She happens to be married to Craig."

"From what I've seen and heard so far, that is very short term." Grace flung at him distastefully. He noticed her eyes suddenly dim, as if a light had been extinguished. A thought that had nigled away at her for along time resurfaced. "Are you still using me to hold her off? " She finally asked in a hushed voice.

It had never occurred to Joshua. How could he be in love with some one so illogical? He'd given up trying to fathom out the way women's minds worked, let alone their logic, but up until now he'd always thought he'd been able to at least keep up with the conversation. With Grace he was beginning to wonder.

"No." He stated emphatically, knowing instinctively that this was an important point to make.

"Really." She retorted flatly and folded her arms in a defensive move.

Joshua's eyes narrowed at her lack of trust. Slowly he came toward her. Grace held her ground. She was not going to back away. She squared her shoulders and braced herself. He stopped well inside her personal space. 

"Is Lysette around now?" He asked in dangerous tones. His exasperation was visible in his eyes and in his voice.

"No." Grace murmured quietly, really unsure about the direction or point of this conversation. Why was he exasperated? She was the one who should be. Her chin came up in defiance. "So?" She challenged belligerently.

"So." He moved nearer and took her into his arms. Then he kissed her. It was a kiss that shattered her. A deep hungering kiss, that gave and took with no half measures, a kiss that delved deep into her soul, while baring his, a kiss that swirled her blood like a raging tornado, a kiss that turned cognitive processes into nonsense. Slowly he stepped away from her, noticed her eyes were still shut, her lips swollen and parted. He hauled her to him and squeezed her tight.

"You are a real piece of work."

Her eyes snapped open. "What?"

"Fearless and insecure." He murmured into her ear. Grace pulled back.

"Am not."

He picked her up, "Are so." He carried her to the bedroom.

"Am not."

"Are so." He whispered in her ear, nibbled lightly and then set her down, "But I think I like that contradiction."

Two hours later, around mid day, Grace was stacking dishes when he sauntered back into the kitchen, a towel wrapped around his hips. Two showers before the day was even half way through. He smiled. The second shower had been more than necessary, his body had been slick with sweat, and his skin salty to taste. 

"Any chance of getting something to eat? I'm starving."

"If you put some clothes on I might deign to feed you.'

His eyes twinkled as he mischievously moved toward her. He only intended to tease. Grace backed away. The man was insatiable. Grace moved around the table, "This is silly." She told him.

"Uh-huh." He agreed and moved a chair out of his way, "Come here woman." He growled sexily.

"Joshua stop this at once." Grace flicked a brief look at her exit route.

Perhaps there was still enough energy left in him for another short spell in bed. "Try it." He challenged.

She did. He caught her. She squealed as he lunged for her.

"I win.' He said triumphantly. Then without saying a word he picked her up, again, and tipped her over his shoulder. She was bent at the waist and half dangling down his back. He patted her rump. "Back to bed I think."

"Joshua. We can't." She squirmed, "Put me down you great oaf."

"Oaf." He simulated outrage and patted her bottom again, with a touch more firmness. As he walked his towel loosened and with both his hands otherwise engaged, the material slowly began to slide off his hips. Grace reached for it. Her fingers touched his skin instead as the towel fell to the floor.

"Feel free to touch." Joshua told her as he walked toward the bedroom. "You owe me heaps of touching. Time to collect."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 247 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
2.2K 127 56
Evangeline had spent many a fanciful moment creating fantasies that involved Seth. Seth and his grandmother was her new neighbours. In her 'Cinderel...
2.8K 316 102
COMPLETE EDITION The spritiual journey of love , Torn between twin flame or soul mate? grace falls in love with a popular guy cameron ,they both...
2.3K 114 21
"Blindness makes me see your undeniable beauty." - Edrei Hasluck This is a short story. Language used is English. Please bear with my grammar. :)