Heart of Gold

By LovelyWriter123

Jason McTern left the small town of Vensword to escape his sorrows. When he returns to check on his diner and... More

Chapter 1 Back in Town
Chapter 2 Behind Closed Doors
Chapter 3 Taking Charge
Chapter 4 Flirt
Chapter 5 Buzz of the Town
Chapter 6 Caught
Chapter 7 Your Kind
Chapter 8 Past
Chapter 9 Different Man
Chapter 10 History Repeats
Chapter 11 New Feelings
Chapter 12 Surprise
Chapter 13 Lies Are Easier To Believe
Chapter 14 Enough is Enough
Chapter 15 Truth is Out
Chapter 16. Freedom is Bittersweet
Chapter 17 Hard Desicion
Chapter 18 Actions Are Louder than Words
Chapter 19 A New Begnning
Chapter 20 Day One
Chapter 21 A Picture Says A Thousand Words
Chapter 22 Heart of Gold
Chapter 23 Quitting Already
Chapter 24 Late Night Confessions
Chapter 25 New to these Feelings
Chapter 26 It's a Date
Chapter 27 Haunting Past
Chapter 28 Back to Work
Chapter 29 Urges
Chapter 30 Girls Love to Shop
Chapter 31 Green Eyed Monster
Chapter 32 Giving In
Chapter 33 The Morning After
Chapter 34 Ticket Out
Chapter 35 We Break Up, We Make Up
Chapter 36 Not Over Yet
Chapter 37 He's Not Going Anywhere
Chapter 38 It's Love
Chapter 39 Bitter Love
Chapter 40 He's Back
Chapter 41 Nightmare Come True
Chapter 42 A Sacrifice
Chapter 44 After It All
Epilogue

Chapter 43 Close Call

27.6K 965 92
By LovelyWriter123

Chapter 43

Close Call

Jason's POV

Running straight at the now speeding car I had no idea what the hell I was going to do to him while he was in the car but as long as he's charging towards me he's not gone. Men bumped my shoulder in their attempt to get out of Ben's way, the swarm of frantic men did nothing to my determination. I'm not going to let him get away with my woman.

Through the windshield I saw Ben leaning forward as if the impact would come quicker, beside him Gracie gripped his arm but he tossed her aside. A animal like sound from that back of my throat, the son of a bitch! Anger pumped through my veins like a river of fire when Gracie slowly rose her head.

There was barely five feet between us when Gracie did something unexpected tossing her small body over his she gripped the wheel causing the car to jerk forward as it changed directions the tires just barely missing my feet. Halting in place I watched as the car jerked again toward the half open gates never slowing down from there it all happened so fast yet it seemed as if I saw every movement.

The large SUV charged into the thick metal gates the front of the car bending like paper and jerking upwards as if someone were holding it. For a second the SUV was airborne but than as gravity did it's job the car tilted to it's right and tumbled on to it's side and than again on it's back. The car wobbled and jiggled like an overweight man's belly when he laughs as grey smoke rose from under the crumpled hood with shards of broke glass surrounding the wreck. Beneath me my legs wobbled at the ruined car in front of me and the possible outcome of the crash.

As quick as the thought crossed my mind I tossed it out when I spotted clear liquid dripping from the upside down car. Willing the stiff legs to move forward I could feel my heart rate doubling with every step I took. When I was close enough the smoke coming from the hood made it hard to see as it did make it hard to breath. Pulling my coat over my mouth I squatted down and crab walked towards the passenger side mentally praying she was okay. Reaching the dented door I spotted Gracie through the cracked window hanging upside down her red fiery hair sticking out in every direction, her pale features flawed with dark blood that ran down her face.

Yanking on the door I cursed out loud as the damn thing didn't budge, using both hands I tugged with all my strength yet it still didn't crack open. Giving up on the door I pulled off my coat and wrapped it around my fist just as Ben grunted. Unlike Gracie he wasn't held back by the seatbelt since he wasn't wearing one, instead he had his face first into an overly large airbag. Ignoring Ben as he stirred awake I pulled my arm back and slammed it into the window causing it to shatter to the ground beneath me.

"..hmmm." Gracie moaned as she rolled her head her face pinched with pain

"It's okay love I'll get you out." I assured her as her lashes slowly fluttered open

"Jason!" Jack shouted not dousing far

"What the- oh god it's going to blow get me out of here!" Ben demanded as he jerked in his seat

Ignoring him I tossed my coat on the floor I leaned into the car raising my torso in attempt to avoid the broken glass still attached to the door. Shoving my hands to the side of the seat I felt around for the button to free Gracie. My fingers brushed against the plush seats and over the soft fabric of Gracie's dress but not seatbelt. Where is it?

Crawling further in I heard Gracie release a moan as she turned to face me, her eyes glossy with tears nearly breaking my heart.

"Get me out of here!" Ben shouted once more as he squirmed in his seat while slamming his fists against his door

This caused the car to shake side ways and rattling Gracie's exhausted form with it.

"Your lucky she's still in here or I'd just throw a damn match in here and walk away." I growled as Ben glanced at me his small eyes widening just slightly

He seemed to only have a few small cuts on his arm since his airbag deflated but Gracie's airbag hadn't gone off leaving her in the midst of the rough impact.

Turning my attention back to finding the seatbelt I felt my fingers brush the bumpy design but as I pressed the eject button it didn't open, again I pressed it with more force but there was a faint click sound and still didn't open.

"Jason what's going on, why can't I get out?" Gracie asked in a hoarse broke voice

Reaching below my feet I grabbed a angled piece glass and cupped her cheek with my free hand "Everything will be alright love." I assured her as the sound of multiple footsteps sounded not to far away

Gripping the top part the the belt I held the glass tightly in my hand and sawed as if it were an actual saw. It was making little progress but that was better than nothing at all.

"Oh Gracie." I heard my uncle gasp as he dropped on his knees beside me

"Jack." she croaked the corners of her mouth twitching up slightly before she winced at the simple action

My heart twisted in my chest at the pain my brave girl was enduring, first Ben now this. My hand tightened on the glass piece in my hand as I picked up my pace as three officers yanked Ben's door open allowing the weasel to crawl out on his own.

"What's taking so long get her out?" Jack exclaimed as he glanced at the now steady gas dripping

"The seatbelt is jammed but I'll get her out." I said more to myself

I have to get her out. An officer informed us that an ambulance was coming but it would get here in time to recuse Gracie. As the man spoke I continued to furiously saw at the sturdy fabric ignoring the voices around me, all I thought about was getting my girl out of the car before it blows.

"Your hand." Gracie gasped which sounded more like a wheeze

I could see blood trickling down my wrist due to my unbreakable grip on the glass. "I'm fine." I said dismissing the stinging in my palm as I cut halfway through the seatbelt

"We don't have much time Jason." Jack warned in a low whisper

Pausing I glanced at the back of the car that had a thick stream of gas trailing down to where I stood. It would be a matter of minutes when the whole car blows to pieces. The quick rhythmic pace of my heart thudded in my ears as I felt my body tense with the two options I had. One stay and possibly get blown to bits or two leave Gracie to be blown to bits.

"Jack I need you to get a safe distance away." I mumbled under my breath hoping Gracie didn't hear

"Your crazy if you think-"

"Sarah will need all of you if-if this doesn't end pretty." I added as I cut three fourths through

Jack went silent as he though it through. If Gracie and I die Sarah will need my uncle as well as the rest of the family to get through this. After a short hesitation Jack rose to his feet and patted my shoulder showing his support as he jogged back towards the truck.

It had to be done, I thought as I continued cutting the fabric desperate to get away from here in time.

"...I'm so sorry Jason." Gracie sniffed "this is all my fault." she cried as her lids drooped

"No baby it's not now just stand still I almost got it." I said just as the broke glass tore through the last of the seatbelt

In one quick swipe I had my arms under her head softening her fall. Cradling her head with one arm I reached the other back as I placed my crumbled coat on the top of the shards on digging into my torso. Slipping my arm under her torso I crawled backwards with Gracie in my arms her body titling slightly to the left. Carefully angling her body out of the window incase any loose shards of glass cut her, standing onto my feet and I readjusted Gracie in my arms.

Her gem like eyes were half closed and glossy with tears as she reached her arms around my neck just barely looping her arms. Wasting no time I ran as fast as my legs could take me towards one of the black chevy SUVs near the ambulance. Taking shelter behind the large car there was the loud explosion I was expecting when I so desperately tried getting us out if there, leaning Gracie against the car I felt a weight being lifted off my shoulders as small debris from the now destroyed SUV shot through the air.

We're alive, I thought happily. Cupping Gracie's face in my trembling hands I could of sworn this was a dream as she looked up at me through a set of dark wet lashes. Up close I could see her injuries much clearer. All though there were many minor cuts on her body they didn't look they hurt unlike the large purple bruise on her cheek that was swollen and the blood drizzling down from her forehead covering her face and hair in the metallic sticky liquid.

"Oh Gracie I'm so sorry." I whispered my voice hoarse as I gulped the golf ball sized lump in my throat

A faint smiled formed on her lips, raising her small cold hand up to my cheek she shook her head "Why I'm still here with you, you kept your promise."

Covering her small hand with one of my own I brought her palm up to my mouth and placed a kiss in the middle knowing this was all over. Now that I have her safely in my arms I won't let anything or anyone hurt her again. Two paramedics jumped out of the back of the ambulance and ran our way with a red bag in their hands.

Raising Gracie up onto my lap I kissed her forehead letting my lips linger as I closed my eyes finally allowing myself to relax as I inhaled her scent.

"Sir we need to take her to the hospital she might have a concussion that crash was pretty nasty." the female paramedic said

Snapping my eyes open I glanced down at Gracie who had her eyes half closed. I never even thought of that. With a nod to show my cooperation I held Gracie up and slide out from under her.

With a moan of protest she reached her arms out to pull me back to her "You need medical attention love, don't worry I promise not to leave your side." I assured

Gracie nodded just as the sound of a gun cocked behind me. Turning around I saw Ben limping our way with one of the officers rifles in his scratched up hands, the officer he stole the gun from was faced down not to far from where Ben was. His gaze narrowed at Gracie who released a gasp.

"If I can't have you.." he growled as he aimed the gun straight at her "No one can."

Without a second thought I positioned my body in front of Gracie's like a human shield ready to do what I promised, protect her.

Ben grinned a croaked dark grin "Or better yet kill him." he hackled his belly jiggling

From the corner of my eye I spotted the paramedics back away with every step Ben came forward as the gun was now pointed at my head. Gracie's small fingers wrapped around my wrists as she tried pulling me back but I didn't budge.

"Any last words before I blow your boyfriends brains all over you." Ben sneered at Gracie

Gulping hard I felt sweat running down my neck despite the chilly winds assaulting my barely there dress shirt. The very thought of dying scared the crap out of me but even with my heart thudding in my chest like the wings of a humming bird I remained in my defensive stance.

"No shoot me instead." Gracie cried out as she managed to crawl out from behind me on her knees

As soon as I realized what she was straight in front of the gun I went to reach for her when Ben returned the aim back to her.

"I left you. I put Sarah as his child. I chose to live with him. I signed the restraining order. It's all me and I'd do again because I don't want you. I don't love you and I never have." she laughed at the last part

Raising his leg up he kicked Gracie in the mid section causing her to tumble back with a heart wrenching wheeze as her head hit the hard ground with a thud.

"Nice try but I want you to suffer." Ben spit out as I pulled Gracie by her arms back to me "Don't worry I'll be at your funeral." he said before redirecting the gun once more

This is it I thought gulping harshly as I stared at the weapon that in seconds would go off and end my life. Squeezing Gracie's shoulders I silently said goodbye and kept the emotionless expression on my face.

"No!!!!" Gracie shrieked tossing her small figure in front of mine causing us to drop flat onto the grass ground as the sound of a gun went off

She had jumped up so suddenly I hadn't realized what happened till the gunshot rang in my ears with Gracie slumped on top of me her body trembling against mine. Glancing down I saw no blood oozing out of me and I didn't feel any different, than he must of shot...

"You son of a bitch, you shot me!" Ben's screamed as he clutched his inner thigh as he glared at the young officer from earlier

Several other officers followed behind with their guns aimed and locked on Ben. The young officer kicked the gun out of his hands "Your lucky I didn't hit my intended target." the officer said as he yanked Ben's arms behind his back as he read him his rights

Ben didn't shoot?! Sitting up I pulled my brave girl with me not believing what happened. A grin broke out on to my face at the realization, immediately turning my attention to Gracie ready to kiss her senseless with relief I frowned as her breathing slowed and her eyes fluttered open and closed.

"I need a medic!" I shouted as her arms dropped limply to her sides

Gripping her shoulders I shook her roughly "Come on love stay with me, help is coming."

"I'm... so tired Jason." she whimpered as the two medics rushed back towards us their bags in hand

"No, no baby stay awake. Don't close your eyes." I pleaded as her lids slowly drooped

"Just a little nap." she mumbled as her eyes finally shut closed

No! No! No this can't be happening, she couldn't have...

"Gracie love wake up, you'll be fine just get up." I said as I gave her another shake causing her head to bobble limply forward

I heard Jack telling me to calm-down as two men pulled me my by shoulders back as the paramedics checked Gracie's pulse. I heard the woman say it's weak as she exchanged a grim expression with her coworker.

"You wake up damn it!" I cried out feeling my heart twist as another medic came back with a stretcher

Like de'ja'vu I watched helplessly as paramedics moved a bruised unconscious Gracie up onto the stretcher.

"Get yourself together boy." Jack said in a broke voice holding back his own tears

"No love don't do this." I cried out as a crippling pain shot through my heart causing me to drop onto my knees from the pain "Don't die." I added in a small whisper the words barely leaving my lips

Jack dropped beside me and gripped my shoulders pulling me into one of the first hugs in what feels like forever.

"It's alright son, it's alright." he said in a non convincing tone as I watched the ambulance pull away possibly with Gracie too

Gracie's POV

It all seemed too familiar as the sound of machines beeping and humming not that far rang in my ears. My eyelids felt heavy as I tried opening them but had no luck, frustrated at my failed attempt I squeezed my eyes until I saw bright colors that made my eyes ache more forcing them to crack open. As soon as my eyes opened I wished they hadn't. Squinting up at the blinding florescent light above I turned my head away only to feel a slight jab at the side of my neck.

Hissing at the unexpected pain I went to sit up when a burning in my sides caused me to slump back against the soft white pillow under my head. It felt as if I haven't moved in three days.

"Good morning sleepy head." a deep hoarse voice greeted

Looking around the room I spotted Jason sitting right beside the bed I now noticed i was resting in his hands sprawled out over my legs with his head barely up. His thin pink lips were pulled up into a smile as eyes lit up with in instant spark despite the dark circles under his vibrant blue eyes that seemed a bit duller, his jaw was covered in a dark stubble that was thicker than his usual and his cheeks seemed a bit hallow, not to mention the way his dark hair was sticking out in every which direction indicating he just woke up. His clothes seem to have gotten looser, the plaid red button down shirt hung off his shoulders when I recall not too long ago that shirt in particular clung to his body like a second skin, his pants which once outlined his sculpted legs now had enough room for me to stick my hand into when I couldn't before.

Propping my hands at my sides I sat up gritting my teeth as my body throbbed with pain.

"Easy love." Jason said as he stood and arranged the large pillow behind me so it would help support me

"You look terrible." I said as I examined his exhausted figure again

A faint smile touched his lips but it didn't reach his ears or brighten his face like always "I'm glad to see you too." he teased

My brows furrowed together in confusion, what did he mean by that? Noticing my puzzled expression Jason released a sigh as he reached his handout resting it against my cheek. His gaze quickly saddened as he rubbed his thumb over my cheekbone.

My heart ached at the sight of that far away look in his gaze, the sadness in it's depth when there should be happiness.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I placed my hand over his but as I lifted it I saw a thin plastic tube sticking out of my arm

Lifting my gaze up I saw the heart monitor right beside my bed and next to it a large machine with three tubes connected into my arms. I'm at a hospital?!

"What happened?" I asked as I met Jason's worried gaze with one of my own

"You don't remember?" he asked a small crease forming between his brows

I shook my head as I thought back, I remember going out on a wonderful date with Jason and finding out he's staying in Vensword, Jason promised we'd celebrate when he came home...

A gasp escaped my lips as everything came back in waves. Ben. He tried running over Jason but I crashed the car. Jason saved me but Ben still didn't give up, he tried shooting Jason!

Running my hands over his shoulders and down his arm I grazed my fingers lightly over his chest feeling for any injury. When I found none I released a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"Your not hurt." I said relieved

"No I'm not." he answered simply turning his face away from me

Scooting closer towards him I grabbed the sides of his face forcing him to look me in the eye what I saw broke my heart. Jason's eyes were moist with unshed tears. Automatically my thoughts turned dark, did Ben hurt someone?

"Are Sarah and Jackie okay?"

He nodded his head.

"And Jack?" I asked recalling Jack speaking to me while Jason pulled me out of the car

"Everyone's fine."

"Than why do you look like someone isn't." I said fearing the worst

He didn't answer right away. With a sigh he sat back down onto the cushioned seat he was on before. "Gracie when did Ben sneak into the house?"

"I'm not sure yesterday or the day before." I shrugged not understanding why it mattered

Jason leaned forward and took both my hands in his "Gracie it was two months ago."

Two months? No, it can't be that would mean I've been asleep for that long. I shook my head unable to believe what I was hearing.

"Gracie you've been in a coma we had no idea when you'd wake up." he said as he raised my hands up to his mouth and kissed every finger

I could hear the pain his words as he allowed his lips to linger on each finger but I barely felt his warm lips as I processed his words. I've been in a coma for two months. That explains why Jason looks so terrible, why there seemed to be a hollowness in every word he spoke. It must have been awful and just plain frustrating for him to just wait around wondering when or if I'd wake up. What about the rest of the family? Jack, Sarah, Lucielle and Jackie? They must have been worried sick.

Fighting back the stinging of tears I felt my chin tremble at the horrible situation I put my family in despite that fact that if I could go back I'd do it again just to save Jason.

"I'm sorry." I sniffed as Jason raised his gaze back to me

His expression softened as he examined me intently as if I were some priceless object. "Sorry for what love, for getting Sarah and Jackie out of there. For fighting when you could have just given in. For saving my life while risking your own which you will never do again." he stated the last part sternly

Standing up he sat at at my side and raised his large beaten up boots up onto the bed so he was now sitting right beside me with one arm around my shoulders.

"If anyone should apologize it's me. I should have protected you..."

With a shake of my head I pressed two fingers against his lips "I knew the risk the day I walked out with you that day at the hospital, I choose to go that didn't mean you had to protect me from every little thing." I said raising my chin up confidently

When Jason tried saying other wise I just shook my head refusing to hear him stating his obligation. Staring deep into the depths of the ocean like eyes I felt what little bit of anger dissolve as if it were never there.

I came so close to never seeing him again. The thought caused me to wrap my arms around his neck pressing myself against his lean figure despite my body's aches. Instantly his arms wrapped around my waist as rested his chin against my shoulder releasing a long sigh.

The only sound in the room was of my heart monitor as it beeped abnormally due to the man nuzzling his face into my neck.

"Hmmm that tickles." I giggled as I squirmed against him but didn't pull away

"I missed you." he only responded

Lifting my head I pressed my lips against his cheek allowing my lips to linger on the hallow area. Slowly his mouth curved into a genuine smile that eased any doubts in my head that he wasn't okay. Grabbing hold of my waist he slid lower into the bed pulling me on top of him carefully so no tubes came out. Resting my head against his chest I listened to the wild beats of his heart and the unevenness of his breathing and smiled knowing that was the cause of our closeness.

We sat that way in silence for a while with only the low sounds of the hospital around us.

"Where is everyone else?" I finally spoke

Jason had a strand of my hair wrapped around his finger as he twirled it over and over again "Sarah's at school while everyone else is at the diner. After the lunch rush everyone takes turns coming by and Sarah spends the afternoons here with me."

"So you're always here?" I asked lifting my head

"Not always." he lied

Just as I was going to tell him how incredibly stupid that was of him I realized if I were in that position I would have done the same.

His large hand cupped the side of my face and forced me to meet his mesmerizing gaze "I love you." he said the emotion in the three simple words

I gulped hard recalling those were my last words to him before my encounter with Ben.

"I love you too." I said feeling a sob clog in the middle of my throat

He leaned forward pressing his mouth so gently against mine with such soft tenderness I nearly melted at the sweet kiss that ended too quick.

"Not so soon." Jason chuckled when I wrapped my arm around his neck pulling him down to me

He's worried about me since I just woke up but I just really want to kiss him. A real kiss. Gripping his soft black hair I crushed my mouth onto his in pure, white passion not paying any attention to the wild beeping of the heart monitor but rather the feel of Jason's mouth hungrily moving over mine. The feel of his hands sliding down my sides and resting on my butt. The roughness of his stubble as it brushed my skin, the rough denim of his jeans brushing my bare legs as the hospital gown continued to ride up as I swung one leg over his increasing the intimacy I was starving for.

"Gracie..." he moaned deeply between kisses never pulling his lips away not that I was complaining

Just the deep husky way he moaned my name had my aching body throbbing but not with pain. Freeing my hands from his hair I ran it over his chest feeling him shudder beneath my touch, satisfied by his reaction I unbuttoned his shirt as he slid one hand into my hair. His large fingers felt amazing against my scalp that I could no longer repress the throaty moan that was caught in Jason's mouth.

"I can't stop." I panted as I trailed kisses down Jason's jaw as he gripped my hips with one hand as I grind against the rough fabric of his jeans

"Than don't." he breathed out as I reached the middle of his chest

I wasn't kidding either, my body just lit up as soon as Jason's lips touched mine. It's as if my body was starving for Jason's kiss, touch, caresses and I sure wasn't going to deprive my body of what I also wanted. Yanking his shirt off his shoulders I tossed it carelessly behind me not knowing or caring where it landed, instead I ran my hands down his bare torso. At this point we were both goners and we both knew it as soon as I felt Jason's fingers brush against the nape of my neck intending to pull the one knot that kept my skin from touching his.

The sound of some clearly their throat caused me to snap out of the spell I was under. Reluctantly I pulled my mouth away from Jason's and turned around just to be greeted by none other than Jack and Lucielle and in Jack's arms was a face I had missed.

"Sarah." I gasped as I slid off of Jason's lap

"Momma!!"

In seconds she dropped to the ground and jumped onto the bed wrapping her small arms around my waist as I pressed her close to my chest. Blinking away tears I kissed the top of her head thanking God for keeping my little girl safe.

"Oh baby I'm so happy to see you." I said as she pulled back her large emerald eyes swimming with unshed tears

"Daddy said you were going to wake up, I knew you would." she said her voice cracking halfway

Kissing the two sets of tears that trailed down her cheeks I looked over at Jason silently thanking him for keeping my little girl positive.

"Oh Gracie honey!" Lucielle cried as she ran over to my side trapping Sarah and I in a bear hug

I chuckled as Sarah gasped from the air tight grip the older woman had in us. When her arms loosened Jack shyly stepped forward and placed a fatherly kiss on my forehead that had my bottom lip trembling.

"I'm glad your okay sweetheart." he said his voice reflecting his words

Jason's long arm snaked around my shoulders as he pressed his side against mine. Turning to meet his gaze I found myself speechless as my family sat around me with so much love I never thought I'd ever get to know.

"I can't begin to explain how I feel right now." I said my voice thick with emotion

With a small smile Jason pressed a small kiss on my cheek "There is no need for words." he said and he was right besides no words can describe how happy I felt as I held my daughter with two wonderful people who practically took me in and the man I love beside me

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's not that last chapter lovelies!!! There is still going to be one more plus maybe an epilogue only if you my lovely loyal readers want it ;D

Still and Always Your,

LovelyWriter123 :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 24.7K 39
Michelle doesn't want to think about her parents divorce. No more, then she already has. Michelle swears she will never let herself forget what her...
Salvation By Kaitlyn

Teen Fiction

318K 5.3K 35
She's his prize, his beautiful, flawless prize. She's his trophy, a girl he stole from the world. He holds her captive in the harsh shadows of the ba...
58.8K 460 28
This story is about a girl that feels unloved and unwanted by her friends and family. She is just a very depressed girl. Well before long she meets t...
26.1K 352 20
Kendall, a bisexual 16-year-old, is living at home with an abusive mother, who's also an alcoholic. To cope with the physical pain received from her...