max ziegler | dance moms

By luvspeaknow

maxine grace ziegler is the younger sister of maddie and mackenzie. she's a fabulous little dancer, but can s... More

❤︎︎
The Competition Begins!
Wildly Inappropriate
Cheerleader Blues
Stealing the Show
When Stars Collide
Dying to Dance
She's a Fighter
Love on the Dance Floor
From Ballerinas to Showgirls
Cathy Brings It On!
It All Ends Here
There's Only One Star
Everyone's Replaceable
Return of the Candy Apples
Brooke's Turning Point
No One Likes a Bully
Jill on the Rampage
Bullets and Ballet
The Runaway Mom
Miami Heat Wave
Melissa Pleads the 5th
Waiting for Joffrey

Brooke's Back

217 5 1
By luvspeaknow

"I have a stupid math test tomorrow," Maddie complained as we drove to the studio. "I hate math."

"Me too," Kenzie agreed, licking her lollipop.

"Have you been paying attention?" Mommy asked, glancing back at Maddie for a second.

"Yes, I just don't like it," Maddie replied. "I wanna quit."

"Well, that's not happening. You'll be done before you know it," Mommy laughed.

"Today we did reading. I read 4 pages, more than the whole class!" I exclaimed, holding out my arms to emphasize my point.

"That's awesome! What did you read?" Mommy questioned.

"I don't know. Something about frogs," I shrugged.

"Max, look at this," Kenzie said, practically shoving her iPad in my face.

It was a video of a bunch of different foods dancing. It was very funny.

We arrived at the studio shortly after, and I was hungry. I blame the dancing food.

"Girls! Come on, let's go. Moms, in here," Miss Abby stated, and we all entered the studio for pyramid. "At this time, I would like to officially welcome Kendall. You're a member of the Abby Lee Dance Company. Here you go."

Miss Abby walked over to her and handed her the official team jacket, and the moms clapped.

"Now, listen to me. This doesn't mean it's smooth sailing from here on out. It means you really have to work hard. When she's wearing that jacket, she can't be all hunched over and slouching. So, if you see that, Mom, you take a thumbtack and you stick it right in between her shoulder blades," Miss Abby told her.

Ouch.

"We are going to Starbound Competition in Long Island, New York. Now, I'll tell you what. They are ready for us. They want to beat the Abby Lee Dance Company, and they are serious. They're like sharks in the water. They can taste the blood," Miss Abby insisted. "Alright, now...Mackenzie. You did well with your solo the last time. You need to do even better this time. Max. You dance like a baby. I don't want a baby on this team. Nia. Chosen for a special part. Your mom didn't want you to do it. Not a lot to say. Next...Paige. You didn't do a solo. You didn't do a duet or trio. So there wasn't a lot to judge you on. Kendall. You're off probation. You're a member of the team. However, we need to fix the feet, the turnout, the back of the knees. You still have a lot of work ahead of you hunny. Moving on...Maddie. Did a great job. Won your category. Won the overall high score. But I have to keep challenging you. And next I have...Chloe. Chloe, when you walk backstage into those wings, you have to walk in there with arrogance and your nose up in the air just like you walk in this studio everyday. Those other girls should be afraid of you just because you're Chloe and you're from the Abby Lee Dance Company. And, on top of the pyramid...is Brooke."

Everyone gasped in shock, since it wasn't Payton. We all started screaming as Brooke entered the studio.

Brooke's back!

We all gave her a big group hug, since we were so happy she came back.

Payton started crying, and we hugged her to try and comfort her.

𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚

𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚 𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚

𝙆𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚 𝙉𝙞𝙖 𝙈𝙖𝙭 𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚

"I know you all are wondering, 'How could she be on top of the pyramid?' Not only is she going to do a solo this week, and not only should she win, I demand that you win. Payton, we all know everyone is replaceable. You were not the right replacement for this group. You had a great experience. You saw the Gateway to the West. You cannot be upset," Miss Abby said.

"She has a right to be upset, Abby," Leslie spoke up. "You dangled a carrot in front of her, and you just ripped it away! For what? For her daughter to just come in and take a spot as a stranger? And for Brooke to leave and you take her back? Where is your loyalty? We have been so loyal to you."

"Loyalty?" Kelly asked in shock.

"Wait a minute. Wait a minute," Miss Abby said, but they ignored her.

I really wanted some chocolate milk. Like, I was craving it.

"It is loyalty, Kelly!" Leslie shouted.

"We have been loyal to her for 30 something years," Kelly insisted.

"She left! How many times have you said she doesn't want to dance?" Leslie questioned.

"She left for one week. You left the studio a long time ago," Kelly argued.

"How dare you! Our history?" Leslie asked.

"Don't 'how dare' me! Payton got to go to St. Louis. She got to be in the competition," Miss Abby stated.

"You know what, Abby, if you don't want her, we will find somebody that wants her to compete on their team. Payton, let's go. You can keep your Kendall, and you can keep the rest of your group," Leslie finished, leaving the studio with Payton.

Seriously, I want that chocolate milk.

"Brooke, you have this solo that you must win. Mackenzie, you have a solo. Max, you also have a solo. The group number- high energy. Everybody join us. Everybody on your feet. Everybody dancing," Miss Abby stated.

Yay, I have a solo!

Kenzie and I left with the moms, since we weren't in the group dance.

I played on Mommy's phone the whole time, and Kenzie watched.

A little while later, I had a tap private. I love tap.

When I entered the studio, Stella was in there, practicing a routine.

"What are you doing here? I have a private," I stated, putting my hands on my hips.

"No you don't. We're learning a new duet today," Stella argued, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I was told I have a private right now," I insisted.

FLASHBACK

"Max, you have a duet rehearsal with Stella."

END OF FLASHBACK

"Yeah, I was told I have a private," I spoke as the teacher walked in.

"You girls ready to learn your duet?"

Oh.

"Yeah," Stella smiled. I just nodded.

The duet was fun, we almost finished it. Stella and I are both good at tap, so that helped make the routine flow better.

•Two days to competition•

Kenzie and I were in Studio A stretching while Brooke had her solo rehearsal.

"Can I see what we have?" Miss Abby asked Gia.

"Yeah," she replied.

"Let's go through it," Miss Abby spoke, starting the music. "Alright, can we try that? Cabriole, step, flick, flick, run, run, push, push."

Kenzie's rehearsal was next, and she had an acro routine. She's very good at acro.

"You're gonna do tuck Arabian, pike Arabian, pike split Arabian walkover, face the back, pike straddle Arabian. Tuck..." Miss Abby trailed off, screaming. "Sickled feet. Look. But you have to make it big. Go. Look, look. Chest up. Come on. C-C-Cart...and chaînés. And sit. And golly gee. You've come a long way. You just learned a dance in...30 minutes. Okay, you're dismissed. Max, let's go."

Kenzie left, and we started rehearsal.

My solo was entitled 'Count on Me,' and it's a contemporary routine.

"Push, push, jump, roll over," Miss Abby instructed. "Arabesque. Face! Use your face! Be happy!"

The music finished, and I was tired.

"Work on that face, and those legs," Miss Abby told me. "You're dismissed."

I left the studio, and the other girls had a group rehearsal. I sat in the den with Kenzie.

"How's your solo?" I asked, drinking some water.

"Good," she replied.

"Sadie gave me my paper doll," I told her.

"Cool. Is it pink?" she questioned, and I nodded. "Let's play 20 questions. You start."

I obviously chose Barbie. Like, duh.

"Is it a place?"

"No."

"An elephant?"

"No."

"A person?"

"Yes."

"Me!"

"No."

"I don't know."

"Keep guessing."

She didn't get it. I'm not sure why though. It's literally Barbie.

"Max, you have an interview. Let's go," Mommy spoke, interrupting our game. I stood up and grabbed her hand, walking to the set.

"Hey, Max," one of the producers said, greeting me. "You ready?"

"Yes," I replied.

"What is your solo this week?"

"My solo this week is contempray. Contempray. I don't think I'm saying that right. It is a song by Bruno Mars."

"Are you excited for it?"

"I am very excited for the solo. I think I will do a good job. I work very hard on it."

"Okay, you're all set."

I stood up and left the set, making my way back to the den.

"How was it?" Kenzie questioned.

"Good," I answered.

"Max, Mackenzie, you guys have a ballet class," Mommy stated, entering the den.

During class, we did some partner work. Kylie and I were obviously partners.

She stepped on my foot, and I screamed.

"You scream like a girl," Jack teased, blowing a raspberry at me.

"That's because I am a girl," I sassed. "And so do you."

"Max, Jack, that's enough. Go back to practicing," our teacher, Lindsay, told us, and we nodded.

I kept giving Jack dirty looks the whole time, and he did the same.

"Why does Jack look like he has to poop?" Kylie whispered, and I snickered.

Stella was laying on the floor. I think she gave up. Kayla was trying to get her up.

Lindsay went over to try and help her, but it wasn't working.

I decided to try and help, so I walked over to the three.

"Max, no. I know what you're gonna do. Go back to Kylie," Lindsay told me, and I groaned.

"Please? It will work," I insisted, and she shook her head.

"I said no. Now leave and let me help Stella," Lindsay said, and I stormed away.

"She wouldn't let me help," I complained to Kylie. "Can you believe that?"

"Yes," she laughed, and I glared at her. "Screaming in her face won't help."

"It stopped Jack and Josie's fighting," I shrugged. She didn't say anything.

After a good 10 minutes, Stella got up, and we continued class.

After dance, we were invited to the Hyland's again to celebrate Brooke being back on the team.

Paige answered the door, and we all hugged her.

"Hi!" we all exclaimed, going into the living room.

Brooke was doing her homework. It looked like math. It looked very hard.

"Taylor Swift is releasing a new album," I stated, earning everyone's attention. "It's called 'Red.' It will be good."

"Like the color?" Paige asked, and I nodded.

"Cool. I'll be sure to listen," Chloe said, and I smiled.

"I hate math," Brooke complained, putting down her pencil. "It's too hard."

"Yeah, I don't like math either," Nia agreed.

"I'm more of an English person," Chloe told us. "I like writing and stuff."

"I like writing letters and numbers," I added.

"I miss kindergarten. Life was so easy back then," Paige joked.

"Easy? Those Q's are no joke," I said, and they laughed.

"Maddie, Mackenzie, Max, we're leaving!" Mommy yelled.

"What?" Maddie asked in confusion, standing up. "Bye, I guess."

"Bye!" Kenzie and I exclaimed at the girls.

"Bye guys!" they yelled back, and Kenzie left the living room.

"Wait," I stated, giving each girl a kiss on the cheek. "Now I can leave!"

They laughed, exchanging goodbyes for real this time.

I ran to the front door where Mommy was waiting. Maddie and Kenzie were already in the car.

"Come on, baby," she said as I followed her out the door.

We made it to the car, and Maddie immediately started firing questions at her.

"Why did we have to leave? No one else was leaving. Did something happen? It's so early, why are you making us leave so soon?"

"Woah, slow down, Mads," Mommy spoke, and Maddie calmed down. "We had to leave because the other moms were saying some not nice things."

"Christi?" Maddie questioned, and she nodded.

"I'm bored," I stated. "I didn't want to leave."

"I know, Maxie. But we had to. You can sleep if you want," Mommy suggested.

"Okay," I shrugged, closing my eyes.

•One day to competition•

"Did you get me anything?" Maddie asked as we drove to the studio.

"No, you wouldn't like anything where we went," Mommy insisted.

Mommy and Jill went shopping together. I guess they're becoming friends.

"Oh, Max, I forgot to tell you that Sadie's mom texted," Mommy said, and I perked up. "She wants to know if you liked her paper doll."

"Yes! Yes I did!" I exclaimed, and she chuckled.

"I'll tell her that when we get to the studio," she insisted, and I smiled.

"Can you ask her to make me one?" Kenzie questioned, and I nodded. "Thanks."

"She likes making them," I told her.

When we got to the studio, Kenzie had a solo rehearsal. The rest of us were chilling in the den.

"Can you do my hair?" I asked Chloe, since mine was still down, and I didn't want Miss Abby to yell at me.

"Sure. What do you want? Two braids? Pigtails?" she questioned, walking over to me.

"Pigtails," I replied, and she did as told.

As Chloe finished doing my hair, Kenzie came back into the den.

"I made Miss Abby cry," Kenzie told us, and we gasped.

"No way. Really?" Paige asked, and she nodded. "Why? How?"

"I did my dance very good," she replied. "Max, you're turn."

I stood up and entered the studio to find Miss Abby wiping her eyes.

Damn, Kenzie.

"You're sister did her dance so well that she made me cry. Can you follow that? Can you make me cry too?" she questioned, and I nodded. "Alright, let's see it."

Gia began playing the music, and I started dancing.

"Straighten those legs! Why are they so bent? Point your feet!" Miss Abby yelled.

I finished dancing, and Miss Abby wasn't crying.

"There's a reason I'm not crying. That arabesque was a hot mess. And your feet, they're always sickled! Do it again. No mistakes," Miss Abby instructed.

I did the dance again, and I thought it was better than the first time.

"Better. Your feet weren't as sickled, and your legs were straighter. I expect that you do what you did here on that stage tomorrow. You understand?" she asked, and I nodded. "Go. You're dismissed."

I went back into the den and collapsed on the ground. Everyone laughed.

"Did you make Miss Abby cry?" Maddie questioned.

"No," I replied. "I think she was trying not to cry tears of sadness. Not joy."

They all laughed, but I wasn't joking. She didn't seem happy with my solo.

"Brooke, let's go, babe," Miss Abby stated, summoning Brooke into the studio.

I got up from the floor and sat next to Chloe, leaning my head on her shoulder. She laughed, patting my head.

"You seem extra tired today," she stated, and I nodded.

"It's true. Having a solo is extra tiring. Even without a group dance," I said.

"I agree," Kenzie added, playing with the zipper of her dance bag.

"Max!" Kylie yelled, entering the den. She must've thought I was the only one in here. Everyone gave her weird looks. "Oh...hey..."

"What do you need, Kylie?" I asked, taking my head off of Chloe's shoulder.

"Just...come with me," Kylie said, grabbing my hand and dragging me away. I shrugged at the other girls as we left the den.

"Where are we going?" I questioned as we went outside for some reason.

"Outside."

No, really? I thought we were on the moon.

She took me to a nearby tree, where the others were hiding.

"Why the frick are we hiding behind a tree?" I asked, and they all shushed me. "Sorry."

"Look," Kayla stated, pointing at a car. "That's them."

"That's who?" I whispered, watching the white car pull into the parking lot. At least, I think it's white. It's hard to see when it's dark out. "Hello? Who is that?"

"That's Nora and her mom Patricia," Olivia told me. "They're new."

"Why are they coming here so late?" Jack questioned. They all shrugged.

"Why are we spying on them?" I asked as Nora got out of the car.

"Will you stop asking so many questions?" Josie complained.

"They're going inside! We're losing them!" Caleb whisper-yelled. "We gotta follow them!"

We all quietly followed them from a distance as they entered the building, being greeted by Mommy at the front desk.

"I'm so confused," I stated, looking at each of them. They were all focused on Nora and Patricia.

"Nora used to live in our town," Cam started, pointing at Olivia, Stella, Jordan and Claire. "She was the bad girl, she was mean to teachers and other kids. She moved a few months ago, and she would always say how much she hates dance and thinks it's stupid."

"So why is she here? At a dance studio?" I questioned. "How did you know she would be here?"

"That's why we're watching her. We knew she'd be here because her friend Izzy told us. Izzy is also our friend," Jordan added. "And Nora hated all of us. We can't just talk to her."

"Why can't the rest of us?" I asked.

"She is bad news. We can't take the risk," Claire spoke up.

"They left! No!" Jack exclaimed. "Now what?"

"I'll ask Mommy where they went," I suggested, and they immediately rejected that idea.

"Nobody can know we're doing this," Stella insisted. "Top secret stuff."

"Should we go in and try to find her?" Cam asked, and they all agreed.

We made our way into the studio and split up into groups to search for the new people.

"Max. It's dark out, be careful when you're going outside," Mommy told me, and I nodded.

I was with Kayla, Claire and Jordan. Interesting group, that's for sure.

We were assigned the task of looking through all of the studios. Even if classes were in session, we were instructed to look anyway.

We went into a den where Christi, Kelly and Holly were sitting.

"Hey, kids," Kelly greeted as Kayla went into Studio B.

"Hi," I replied.

"Nothing," Kayla told us, and I went into Studio C. Miss Abby and Gia were getting massages! I laughed and closed the door.

"What's in there?" Christi questioned.

"Are they there?" Jordan added, and I told them what I saw. Christi went up to see for herself, and Kayla, Claire and Jordan laughed as we left the den.

We did this for all of the studio's, and she wasn't there.

"Wait, wait, wait. Stop," Claire stated, and we stopped walking. "Look."

Patricia was walking out of the bathroom and went down the hall, out of our view.

"Let's go tell the others," I said, and we went back to the tree.

"Did anyone find anything?" Cam questioned once we were all there.

"We found Nora," Olivia stated. "She was at a water fountain."

"And we found Patricia, leaving the bathroom," Kayla added.

"This is good. We need a plan," Caleb said. "A plan of action."

"What?"

"It's in all of the movies."

"Whatever. We have to find Nora again," Jack insisted. "We must overhear her conversions with Patricia."

"Maybe she just decided she likes dance now," I shrugged.

"No! Nora would not do that," Olivia said. "There is something else."

"Do it tomorrow. I have a tap private," Josie told us.

"No. I have competition," I insisted.

"We'll tell you what happens," Kylie said, and I nodded.

"Okay. Everyone come back here tomorrow," Cam instructed. "Got it? This is important business."

They agreed, and we went our separate ways. I went back into the den and packed up my bag. Most of the girls had already left.

"What was that about?" Paige questioned.

"Taste test. They tried gross food combos," I lied. That was the lie we all collectively came up with if anyone asked what we were doing.

"Kids these days," Paige joked, shaking her head. I laughed.

•Competition day•

We woke up bright and early for competition, but all I could think about was that Nora girl. Was she really there to dance? Or was there another reason behind it?

I walked past Maddie's room, and I saw my Barbie's on her bed. It was a horrific sight.

One of them was missing a head, the other had a terrible hair cut. There was marker drawn all over them, their clothing was cut up, and one of them had clown makeup. Literally.

"What are you doing?" Maddie asked, scaring the crap out of me. I turned around to find her leaning against the doorway with a brow raised.

"My poor Barbie's," I stated, looking back at them.

"Too bad. You remember our deal. Now move, I gotta finish getting ready," Maddie insisted, pushing past me.

I went back to my room and started playing with all of my perfect Barbie's until it was time to go.

"Max, look at this new Barbie game," Kenzie said once we were in the car.

The game was that you were basically Barbie. You got to control her life and make decisions for her.

"I want that!" I exclaimed, handing her my iPad so she could install the game.

"There," she spoke, handing me my iPad.

We started playing the game together. My Barbie looked like the actual Barbie while Kenzie's looked more like Raquelle.

Once we got to the studio, we did what we always do. Load our bags into the bus and board the vehicle.

I made my way to Chloe, who was scrolling through her phone.

I immediately started telling her all about the Barbie game, and she downloaded it on her phone!

"We're going to Starbound in Long Island, New York. So there's going to be some tough competitors here," Miss Abby informed us as the bus began moving.

"Kenzie! Play the Barbie game with us!" I shouted, and she yelled back an 'okay.'

Although we can't see each other in the game, it's still fun knowing other people are playing the same game.

"Look! I got a date with Ken!" Chloe exclaimed, showing me her phone screen. I pretended to barf, and she laughed.

"Max, I unlocked the castle!" Kenzie shouted, and I gasped.

"No way! How did you do that?" I questioned, and she shrugged.

"I also just unlocked the castle," Chloe stated.

"What the frick," I said, looking back at my iPad. She chuckled.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get it," she insisted.

Miss Abby started yelling at the bus driver, as always. She even started questioning the GPS.

After a long bus ride, we finally arrived at the competition.

"Here we go," Miss Abby said as we all got off the bus. "Come on, guys."

"Maxie, you have your blanket?" Mommy asked, and I nodded, holding it up so she could see it.

Once we got settled in our dressing room, we started getting ready for the solos.

"Max, here, go change," Mommy instructed, handing me my costume.

"You look so cute!" Mommy exclaimed once I came out of the changing room.

Maddie started doing my hair while Mommy did Kenzie's.

Jill and Miss Abby started arguing about something I didn't care about. All I cared about was doing well on my solo.

"When are you going to do Kendall's headpiece, and worry about her costume? You're all worried about theirs. Let her dance!" Jill exclaimed.

"Okay, your hair looks good," Maddie said. "Let me do your makeup."

"Brooke is one dance after Mackenzie. She has not run her dance with her, she didn't help her with the headpiece, she didn't look at her hair," Kelly insisted.

"You know what, Kelly, be happy your child has a solo," Jill said.

"Oh, Jill, shut up," Kelly snapped. "This kid doesn't have a solo, the same as yours."

"You did not just tell me to shut up," Jill spoke.

"Yes!" Kelly exclaimed.

Jill was speechless. She just stared with her mouth open at Kelly.

"Kelly, she has a solo! I got nothing!" Jill yelled.

"Okay. Last week, should I have complained because yours had a solo, and neither one of mine did?" Kelly asked.

"You did complain," Jill argued.

"Okay, I'm done. You look good," Maddie said, walking away.

"Max, come here, let me paint on your abs," Mommy spoke, and I ran over to her.

"Brooke was not here...she came back, she got a solo! She's at the top! Be happy with that!" Jill exclaimed as I started quickly going over my dance.

"There's no making her happy. She doesn't want to win, she doesn't want to be good," Miss Abby insisted.

"We're used to being at the bottom," Kelly stated.

"She doesn't want to be on the top," Miss Abby said.

"I need Mackenzie, Brooke and Max to come with me," the director spoke up. How long was she there? "Now."

"Okay," Miss Abby said, and the three of us left with the director.

We made it backstage, and Kenzie's solo was coming up.

"Good luck. You got this," I encouraged, reaching up to grab her shoulders.

"Judges, up next is acro, 'The Party Starts Right Now,'" the EMCEE announced, and Kenzie took the stage.

She was awesome!

"Good job Kenz," I said, giving her a hug once she left the stage.

Brooke's solo was right after Kenzie's, and mine was a few numbers after Brooke's.

"Number 322, 'Starry Night,'" the EMCEE stated, and Brooke went onstage.

She did an amazing job.

My solo was coming up soon, and I was nervous. I always get nervous before competing.

Brooke gave me a short pep talk before giving me a good luck hug. So did Kenzie.

"Up next is number 329, 'Count on Me,'" the EMCEE spoke, and I went on the stage.

Oh-oh

If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea

I'll sail the world to find you

If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see

I'll be the light to guide you

We'll find out what we're made of

When we are called to help our friends in need

You can count on me like one, two, three, I'll be there

And I know when I need it, I can count on you like four, three, two

And you'll be there

'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do, oh, yeah

My music finished, and I happily left the stage. I think I nailed that dance.

"Good job Max," Kenzie said, giving me a hug.

"Yeah, you were great," Brooke added, giving me a hug when Kenzie let go.

Maddie and Chloe also had an unaired duet entitled 'Inside of Me.' They both also had unaired solo's. Maddie's was called 'The Girl I Want to Be,' and Chloe's was 'I Want to Be a Rockette.' Both solos were amazing.

The three of us walked back to the dressing room, happy with our performances.

Kenzie and I ran over to Mommy, who immediately hugged us.

"You guys were so good, you killed your dances!" she exclaimed.

We went back to the auditorium for awards, and I was scared. I really wanted to do well for Miss Abby.

"We love coming here, because the talent is always amazing," the announcer stated, and everyone clapped. "Junior Mini, in second place, 'Count On Me,' Max!"

Oh no.

I went up to get my award, and I saw Miss Abby shaking her head in the audience.

"Junior Petite, in second place. Come on up, number 229, 'My Boyfriend's Back,' Cassidy. Come on up, top Junior Petite: 323, 'The Party Starts Right Now.'"

We all cheered as Kenzie went up to get her award.

"Who choreographed this for you?" the announcer asked, pointing the mic at Kenzie.

"Abby Lee Miller," she replied.

"Bravo. Thank you for doing a great job today. Let's give it up for Mackenzie!" the announcer exclaimed, and everyone started clapping again.

"Our top ten teen soloists: 287 is the score for fourth place. It goes out to number 1017, and that is Jenna. Third place goes out to 322, 'Starry Night.' That is Brooke, Abby Lee Dance Company. Come on up here, Brooke. Give it up. Our third-place teen dancer," a different announcer said, and Brooke received her award.

Maddie and Chloe's duet placed first, Maddie's solo placed first and Chloe's solo placed third.

We went back to the dressing room, and I was scared for what Miss Abby was gonna say.

"Whoo!" Miss Abby exclaimed, entering the dressing room.

Mackenzie ran up to her and gave her a big hug.

"Congratulations!" Miss Abby said to her. "Brooke, I think you did well, considering that you danced two hours before the rest of those girls."

She nodded in understanding.

"Max, you have no reason not to win. You never left the studio, you were there, training. Second isn't good enough. Second is the first to lose," Miss Abby stated, and I nodded. "Girls, close your midsections, tuck your derrière under. You keep using your legs to jump instead of your core, your center. Understood?"

"Yes," they all answered.

The girls were getting ready for the group dance while I looked at myself in the mirror.

My makeup was funny looking.

If my makeup was better, would I have won?

Thanks a lot, Maddie.

"I'm actually gonna borrow some lipstick. So Jill, if you would feel better if I borrowed it from you, I will," Miss Abby insisted.

"Would you like me to put it on you?" Jill offered.

"I would love it," Miss Abby replied. "Do I need anything else? A little powder up here?"

"Mhm," Jill spoke, putting powder on her face.

"Now who's kissing who's butt?" Mommy questioned, and I laughed.

"Kissing butts," I smirked, and Paige laughed with me.

"Oh, Max," Chloe sighed.

"Is that a full moon? What's going on?" Christi asked as Jill sighed. "That means weird things are happening."

Jill and Christi started arguing about when we left the Hyland's early.

"We're gonna rehearse in the hallway, guys," Gia spoke up, leading us out. "There's a good space out there. Come on, guys."

Kenzie and I went with them to escape the mothers arguing.

We went back in shortly after so Miss Abby could talk to the girls on camera.

"You are going on in 20 minutes. Some of these numbers, these kids have been working on since the middle of August. I talked to their teachers. You've had this dance for four days," Miss Abby stated. "You guys are the national champions. There were all these complaints: somebody didn't have a special part, and blah-blah-blah-blah-blah. This is about the group. It's a team. And when you're in a Broadway show, it doesn't matter if your part is this big or if you have one line. And when you step out on that stage, you own it. Understood? Let's do it."

We left the dressing room and went to the auditorium, Kenzie and I going into the audience with the moms.

"This is number 320, 'Avalanche,'" the EMCEE announced, and they took the stage.

They were fabulous, as always.

Soon after, it was time for awards, and I was nervous for them.

"Top Junior groups, are you ready? Here we go. Third place today: 'Carwash,' Royale Nova. Top two: both of these groups were 290 or above, and it's not easy to get a score of 290. In second place, with a score of 290, it's going out to number 320 'Avalanche,' Abby Lee Dance Company. Come on up, ladies," the announcer spoke, and they all went up to get the award. "Congratulations. A great score today. Fantastic job."

We headed back into the dressing room, waiting for the girls to return. When they did, Kenzie and I went straight to Maddie.

Miss Abby looked very mad.

"You just need to be better dancers. You need to out dance everybody. I don't know, what did you all think?" Miss Abby asked.

"They did it really good. And their really good wasn't good enough to win, and that's kind of depressing," Jill stated.

Gia took us out of the dressing room and into the bus, leaving the moms and Miss Abby to argue or something.

At least the cameras stayed with them.

The mothers came out shortly after, and we started our journey back to Pittsburgh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 503 23
Alison Montgomery has been dancing at the aldc since she was 3. She is considered Abby's "star". One day, she is selected to be on a new reality tv s...
4.1K 91 8
maddie and mackenzies dad left them after the divorce from their mother who died a view months later in a car accident so the only one left is their...
11.7K 211 37
Claire is a dancer at the Aldc. When abby starts a reality show she invites Claire to be on her competition team. Claire is known to be a very dedic...
13.4K 312 11
everyone knows maddie and mackenzie ziegler. abby lee's favorite dancers. but let's throw one more into the mix, malia ziegler. the oldest half siste...