Joshua's Grace

By SusanGarod

Grace is a thirty something workaholic in New Zealand, who returns from a conference to find that her father... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (2)
Chapter 1 (3)
Chapter 2 (1)
Chapter 2 (2)
Chapter 2 (3)
Chapter 3 (1)
Chapter 3 (2)
Chapter 3 (3)
Chapter 4 (1)
Chapter 4 (2)
Chapter 4 (3)
Chapter 5 (1)
Chapter 5 (2)
Chapter 5 (3)
Chapter 6 (1)
Chapter 6(2)
Chapter 6 (3)
Chapter 7 (1)
Chapter 7 (2)
Chapter 7 (3)
Chapter 8 (1)
Chapter 8 (2)
Chapter 8 (3)
Chapter 9 (1)
Chapter 9 (2)
Chapter 9 (3)
Chapter 10 (1)
Chapter 10 (2)
Chapter 10(3)
Chapter 11 (1)
Chapter 11 (3)
Chapter 12 (1)
Chapter 12 (2)
Chapter 12 (3)
Chapter 13 (1)
Chapter 13 (2)
Chapter 13(3)
Chapter 14 (1)
Chapter 14 (2)
Chapter 14 (3)
Chapter 15 (1)
Chapter 15 (2)
Chapter 15 (3)
Chapter 16 (1)
Chapter 16 (2)
Chapter 16 (3)
Chapter 17 (1)
Chapter 17 (2)
Chapter 17 (3)
Chapter 18 (1)
Chapter 18(2)
Chapter 18 (3)
Conclusion

Chapter 11 (2)

7 1 0
By SusanGarod

His tone convinced Grace to change tack. Grace tilted her head to look up at him. "It's o.k.," She tried to appease him, resorting to a conciliatory tone of voice " I'm staying with Amy until term ends."

"No Grace. It isn't o.k." He pushed his hair off his forehead in a gesture that reflected his frustration. "Damn it. I'm not leaving you here."

"It will be settled soon," She placated, lying blatantly, she hadn't a clue how long it would take to settle this, let alone track the jerk. Just how long would it take to identify him, if that was even possible? "and anyway, I'm off with Sash on Monday. She's flying into Auckland and we're going to Bali for a week. They'll have got whoever it is by then, or it may all stop anyway. It could just be some idiot kid who thinks it's a great laugh to send a feminist some sex mad letters." She was trying to sound calm and rational. Joshua wasn't buying any of it. She could see it in the way his jaw clenched. He was ready to carry her off, if the signals she read in his eyes were anything to go by, he was about to pick her up. Grace launched into speech quickly, "And when I get back, we all go to Whangamata. Sash, mum, dad and me. We are going to the Bach, for Christmas." She sounded nonchalant, "So you see I won't be at the cottage for much time anyway. "

"You won't be at that cottage at all. You won't be alone at all." He began his list of demands as frustration snapped to life within him and he began to scowl at her with barely contained anxiety. Looking after Mariah and Zac in the heyday of their teenage years hadn't been as hard as this.

Casually Grace interrupted him, "I'm staying with Amy, so I won't be alone or at the cottage except for the weekend and then on Monday..."

Joshua didn't let her complete her sentence, "You aren't staying at that cottage, for one second let alone one weekend, and that's final." 

"You're over reacting. I knew you would." She accused and her eyebrows drew together as she frowned at him.

"You haven't even begun to see me overreact." "Get a grip Josh, this is..."

"Damn it. Grace, some idiot out there has got you scared witless and you are being stubborn about it."

Grace pursed her lips, counted to ten and then said with deliberate coolness "I am not being stubborn. I have arranged to stay with a friend."

This was too important to give way on. Joshua continued to hold her glare as he said equally firmly, "Fine. Stay with Amy, but you will not return to that cottage until they get that maniac. I'll pick you up Friday night." He stated implacably, totally oblivious to his peremptory manner. He'd spent many years taking responsibility for Zac and Mariah, years of weighing up options, the final responsibility lying with him, now his response was just an automatic behaviour. "We'll go to Raglan."

"Have you heard yourself?" Grace's chin rose a fraction and her eyes narrowed with contained resentment. "Joshua, I'm not going into hiding just because of some idiot out there. I can't hide forever. If the police don't get him, I'll have to take my chances. I can stay at the cottage."

"Like hell." He stormed as his annoyance at her inability to see sense overrode his control of the situation. He noticed the defiant look she had perfected was back in her eyes. Things were never this difficult with Riah and Zac. They did what he suggested when he suggested. Well eventually they did. He'd have to try a different tack. "Look, I was planning on spending time at the bach this weekend, get it aired for Christmas, that sort of thing. Come with me, you can help me. We could spend some time together. I'll even take you up to Auckland on Sunday night." 

"There's no need for all this. Amy doesn't mind me being with her and if I wanted to I could drive up to Auckland on Friday."

He released a long pent up sigh, now that he had persuaded her not to stay at the cottage, she was going to her parents, and he would rather she stayed with him. "The bach at Raglan is right on the Point, you'd love it." He really couldn't stand the thought of her being in any danger. And he wanted to be with her. "Grace?" He could see that she was tempted, but fighting it. "No strings Grace." He promised rashly, "It's a great spot. You'll love the place."

She chewed her lower lip as she considered the offer. She wanted to spend time with him, wanted to be away from the cottage and wanted some time out. This seemed perfect. He was right, she was worried about that idiot, but she was trying very hard to subdue her fear. It was the 'not knowing' that was really getting to her. Not knowing who was stalking her and why. Not knowing for how long she would have to live with that threat. Not knowing whom. And she didn't want to worry her parents unnecessarily.

She agreed. "I guess Amy and Greg will probably have heaps to do."

"Greg?" Joshua felt his shoulders drop slightly, she was close to agreeing to his suggestion.

"Yes, that's who I'm staying with. Except, Greg, he's a pilot, and he's on a flight at the moment. He's due back friday, I think."

"Ahh, " Joshua smiled knowingly.

"I guess, I'll go with you." She conceded finally.

"Your enthusiasm overwhelms me." He wanted to whoop with joy but as a grown man of thirty three, amongst the unseen but no doubt nearby students of lesser years, he decided against it. He settled for squeezing her hand. She smiled reassuringly at him. 

Joshua drove to the Police station after he'd escorted Grace to her office. He spent fifteen minutes with the officer in charge, talking through every angle, asking for answers. They were doing all they could to trace the maniac out there. But they told him it would be difficult to trace. Difficult and time consuming. Joshua did not like the situation. He told the police he was taking her to Raglan the next weekend. By the time he arrived back in Auckland he had plan B ready. Joshua phoned Luke.

"I need a detective." He announced without preamble when his friend answered the phone.

"Problem at work?" Luke replied casually as if it was the most normal occurrence.

"No, personal."

Luke's tone changed. "What?" There was genuine concern in his voice now. "Are you ok?"

"Grace received threats in the mail." Joshua told him candidly, "I need someone to trace them."

"Threats?"

"I've spoken to the police, not much they can do. I think they had me as a possibility. Do you know anyone who could help track this jerk?"

"Leave it with me. I'll get someone."

"Thanks."

"Is she ok?"

"She thought it was Lysette. The letters are postcoded Auckland." Josh rubbed his eyes, "She doesn't now." 

"What's she doing about the situation?"

"She's staying with a friend till the weekend, then I'm taking her to Raglan, and she's off to Bali. The police are handling all her mail before she gets it, save her some of the unpleasantness, but" Joshua was quick to explain. "they've got no leads. And, as they explained, it will be tough tracking the letters."

"Yeah. They're right." Luke agreed. "Leave it with me, I'll get someone onto the letters. You take care of Grace."

"Easier said than done. You have no idea how annoyingly obstinate that woman is."

Luke tried to keep the smile out of his voice. He had guessed at her independence the very first time he'd met her. Yet it seemed like Joshua had only just discovered the fact. Of course the woman was insubordinate, it was in her very makeup. "You'll handle it. You did with Riah, Zac and" Luke added an after thought, "me."

"You guys were a piece of cake." Joshua couldn't understand how he'd fallen for a woman who was so much his opposite in so many ways. "Grace doesn't know what compromise means. She hasn't a clue about concession. And to her, stubbornness is a positive quality."

Luke chuckled even though he heard the frustration in his friend's voice. "So why are you pursuing her?"

"No choice." Joshua retorted, "Logically we are poles apart."

"And illogically?"

"She makes my blood sing. I can't imagine life without her."

"Oh shit." Luke whispered, Joshua's words confirming what Luke had thought all along. Joshua had met cupid. They talked some more, then Joshua hung up and Luke called the agency he used. On Friday Joshua drove to her office.

"Back again?" The receptionist teased. "Can't keep away."

The receptionist informed Grace of his arrival and then told him to go on through.

"Hi." He said as he walked in.

She was in the process of switching off her computer. The machine shut down and she came toward him, smiling as if she had been waiting for him all her life.

"You made good time." She said as she reached for her light cotton jacket and leather bag.

"I was in a hurry." He moved toward her.

"Oh?" She turned innocently to face him, a frown marring her brow. She hadn't realized he was this close, she bumped into him. "Sorry." She tried to take a step back. He stopped her by simply placing his hands on her shoulders.

He bent his head, his eyes open as he kissed her. He saw the flare of sensation in her eyes just before her eyelashes fluttered down and then his own eyes closed. Instantaneous, no preamble, passion flared. She really made his blood sing. They came up for air. Her bag had fallen to the floor, along with her jacket. He picked them up and handed them to her, smiling as if she had just given him everything he had ever asked for every Christmas for the last thirty-three years.

"Come on. Let's beat the Hamilton rush hour!" He looked around, "Where's your gear?" She pointed to the bags by the door. His brow quirked. "I did say weekend!"

"Cheek!" Her lips twitched despite her trying to stop the smile, "I've got stuff from my stay with Amy, stuff for the weekend, and stuff for my trip with Sasha."

"Sure." He teased and then picked up the three bags. He slung one over his shoulder and held the others, one in each hand.

"I can carry something." She took one of the bags off him before he could even argue the point. For a second he contemplated arguing, and then realized she had provided him with a perfect opportunity. He waited for her as she pulled her office door shut, and as she turned he reached for her hand.

For a second she hesitated, then she took the hand he offered. Hand in hand they walked out of the building.

By three thirty they were on their way to Raglan. It was an hour's drive from the office to the Bach via a road that wound round a series of hills and clung to the very edge of the hewn out ledge. Joshua concentrated on the road and Grace concentrated on Joshua.

"Any progress?" He asked having just negotiated one particular hair- raising hairpin bend. He knew Luke's detective had traced nothing as yet but the man was still working on it.

She sighed, "No." She shifted in her seat so that she was almost facing him, "But then I guess I wasn't expecting to hear anything. They said it's rather difficult tracing these things. It could just be some idiot prankster."

Joshua didn't turn his head, he kept his eyes on the road, "I don't care if he's a bloody bishop. I want him found."

"So do I." She agreed with feeling and patted his thigh for a second. She felt the muscle tense and quickly retracted her hand. He threw her a quick sideways glance before he negotiated the next bend. Grace shifted in her seat and turned back to face the road. The scenery flashed by.

In the last few days she had become intensely aware of just how isolated she was at the cottage. Living with Amy for a couple of nights had been quite strange, there were so many new noises to get used to. Back at the cottage, things were always so incredibly peaceful, quiet, tranquil. All due to the isolation. Isolation she liked. The isolation that now worried her. After a few seconds of amicable silence they talked about their respective families. Safe topics. Topics that kept the conversation flowing. Sasha, Zachary, Briar and Mariah were described in friendly but minute detail. Quirks, peculiarities, charms, attributes. By the end of the drive, Grace had learnt things that Zachary and Mariah would have rather kept quiet and Joshua knew Sasha and Briar trivia that both would have disputed or pretended never existed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100 9 12
A young girl who had a traumatic past from when she was little, tries to find peace with herself and her past and moves to England in order to start...
3.5K 247 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
8.7K 626 24
Grace Allen is an independent women who never let's people in too far. That's until Matt Davidson refuses to let her push him away. What happens when...
45.8K 2.3K 14
Justin's blind. Ever since the car accident when he was ten, Justin lost the ability to see and hates it. He lost everything that day. But, it could'...