Joshua's Grace

By SusanGarod

Grace is a thirty something workaholic in New Zealand, who returns from a conference to find that her father... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (2)
Chapter 1 (3)
Chapter 2 (1)
Chapter 2 (2)
Chapter 2 (3)
Chapter 3 (1)
Chapter 3 (2)
Chapter 3 (3)
Chapter 4 (1)
Chapter 4 (2)
Chapter 4 (3)
Chapter 5 (1)
Chapter 5 (2)
Chapter 5 (3)
Chapter 6 (1)
Chapter 6(2)
Chapter 6 (3)
Chapter 7 (1)
Chapter 7 (3)
Chapter 8 (1)
Chapter 8 (2)
Chapter 8 (3)
Chapter 9 (1)
Chapter 9 (2)
Chapter 9 (3)
Chapter 10 (1)
Chapter 10 (2)
Chapter 10(3)
Chapter 11 (1)
Chapter 11 (2)
Chapter 11 (3)
Chapter 12 (1)
Chapter 12 (2)
Chapter 12 (3)
Chapter 13 (1)
Chapter 13 (2)
Chapter 13(3)
Chapter 14 (1)
Chapter 14 (2)
Chapter 14 (3)
Chapter 15 (1)
Chapter 15 (2)
Chapter 15 (3)
Chapter 16 (1)
Chapter 16 (2)
Chapter 16 (3)
Chapter 17 (1)
Chapter 17 (2)
Chapter 17 (3)
Chapter 18 (1)
Chapter 18(2)
Chapter 18 (3)
Conclusion

Chapter 7 (2)

6 1 0
By SusanGarod

A few moments later they had reached the others. Grace extricated her hand from Joshua's hand lock in order to shake hands as she was introduced to all those she hadn't met before, including Luke's date, Marina, and Zac's date Shelley.

It was a black tie affair. The men wore dinner jackets and pretended not to swelter. Fortunately it had cooled down immensely, but it was still too warm for the men to keep their jackets on for long. The woman barely wore sufficient material to keep them decent, and none of them seemed worried about the temperature. Thankfully it was still a warm night. 

Joshua waited for the introductions to be made, and as soon as they were accomplished he led her onto the dance floor and took her into his arms. He'd seen the assessing way Luke had taken note of Grace, seen the way Craig had smiled at her. Was no man immune?

Luke watched the man he considered a brother and best friend. He had taken a long look at Grace, wondering what it was that had enthralled Joshua. Sure she was attractive, but then Joshua had never been short of beautiful women to date. So why was he captivated by this one? For he was definitely hooked. Luke wondered if Joshua had admitted that fact. He might not have owned up to it, yet, but there was no misreading the truth. Joshua could start counting his single days. They were over. Luke watched the couple for several more seconds. Then his own date persuaded him to dance with her.

Possessively, Joshua locked Grace to him. They swayed in time to the music without actually moving very far off the spot. There wasn't much room. The dance floor was crowded. Couples jostled each other but no one seemed to mind.

Joshua had his arms fastened around her waist while Grace rested her palms on his jacket lapels. A few moments later, Grace moved closer to him, because his arms gave her no choice. The music seemed to mellow as the paddle boat moved out into the midst of the Waikato on its slow cruise down the river. His thigh brushed against hers before finding a niche between her legs. Fleetingly Grace registered his lips against her temple, brushing gently, and she tipped her head back to teasingly reprimand him about the public display of affection.

The words were never uttered, they were swallowed. Skillfully and swiftly his lips found their target and Grace was lost in a mind shattering kiss. His lips were hot and light as they gently worked her mouth. Her mouth, ready to teasingly scold, was worked over, ever so gently with the tip of his tongue. It was the tenderest kiss she had ever received. Gentle, delicate and shattering. All thoughts about chastising him about public displays were forgotten. 

She had lost the battle before it had even begun. She knew, after last night, that things were going to be different. She had known that tonight would be special. Very, very special. Grace gently slid her hands around his neck and pulled him closer.

Joshua needed no further encouragement. His mouth slanted over hers with less finesse and more passion than he'd normally show in public. His tongue became more insistent, his hands more possessive and his thigh more abrasive. His left hand splayed across her upper back and his right hand rested firmly on her bottom bringing her closer to him. Hauled to him, pressed close, she reveled in his hardness.

Her skin and the silk of her gold strapless top felt similar in texture, but where her skin was warm, the silk was erotically cool. His hands roamed, pressing, urging responding. She stood within the sheltered embrace of his arms and legs, dispensing all pretence of dancing to the melody the band played. Her neck arched as his kiss became more insistent. Her lips were swelling as his mouth sucked seductively.

Desperate for oxygen they broke apart. Silent words passed between them for the fleeting moment they were apart. A message of need, longing and lust flashed between the two with the speed and impact of lightning. Then once more he was devouring her and she was encouraging him as best she knew how. She arched against him, felt him pressing into her lower stomach, her hands grasped and held his head, forcing him to take what she was giving him freely.

Suddenly he stopped kissing her, whispering, "We must stop." He took a deep breath and as the band switched from one tune to the next he smiled, "Let's dance."

Grace allowed his knee to nudge her legs apart and allowed his legs to be caressed by her thighs as they swayed almost imperceptibly, their feet remaining glued to the deck of the boat. Her fingers splayed across his shoulders and gently kneaded the coiled tension she felt in the corded muscle sheathed in a white linen shirt. Grace turned her head to rest her cheek against his shoulder, her lips a scant couple of inches from his neck. 

The temptation was too much. Too, too much. Slowly, almost without conscious volition she moved her head nearer, her breath whispering across the sensitive skin below his ear. Her lips rubbed, slowly, lightly, where her breath had teased. Then, instinctively her mouth opened, her tongue tasted and her teeth grazed.

Blood surged through him with the torrent force of water cascading over the Niagara falls. His heart hammered and his body grew taut. All because she was kissing his neck, lightly teasingly sucking at a small patch of skin that he had never recognised as an erogenous zone.

"Grace." He pleaded in hoarse whisper, begging. When he felt the last of his control about to desert him he tried to turn. His breath ragged as he entreated her desperately "Stop." He arched his neck away from her mouth.

She saw the strip of flesh her lips, tongue and teeth had been imprinting with her passion. Grace moved a fraction of an inch and cool air dried his throbbing skin. She lifted her head off his shoulder and looked straight into his eyes. He drowned in the passion he saw contained within the depths. She wanted him.

He went down in a frenzy, his open mouth clamped over her lips, sucking on them, running his tongue over moist swollen lips that parted to allow his tongue to thrust forward. Her fingers ransacked his hair and fused to his skull as she held his head in a frame that allowed her to be devoured. There was no holding back.

The air had been forced out of her lungs when his arms, now resembling steel bands had clamped around her. They broke apart when they ran out of air. Their breathing was akin to gulping for any available oxygen. It took several minutes.

Several minutes to get their breath and to persuade their hearts to beat a normal staccato rhythm. He lifted his head and looked into her eyes. She held his gaze. 

"The Earth moved." He watched for her reaction to his light hearted but truthful statement. Deep jade twinkled and then sparkled as the smile formed. Grace smiled tentatively in answer.

Even white teeth echoed the smile in her eyes "The whole damn Universe moved." She owned up in a hushed whisper.

His teasing smile vanished, his eyes darkened and his heart slammed into his ribs with the force of meteorite on a glass pane. He moved to kiss her.

"Break it up." Zac jostled them apart, just before Joshua put his thoughts into action. Zac flashed his brother a reprimanding look, "This is a dance floor, not centre stage for the ABC guide to good sex. Thank goodness it's dark."

The barely whispered words were overheard by Grace and mortification swamped her. Joshua glared at his brother. Zac simply raised a questioning brow. Another couple bumped into the back of them. Some of Joshua's anger dissipated as their environment registered in his brain. Zac saw the instant sanity returned to his brother's mind. But he was taking no chances. He took Grace by the hand.

"Come on." He announced in imperious tones that brooked no argument, "Time to switch partners." He took Grace by her elbow and moved her several feet away from his brother. This was a turn up for the books. Normally it was Joshua reminding Zac about his surroundings and behaviour.

They left Joshua standing with Shelley. Shelley smiled pensively and waited for Joshua to focus on her. She hadn't known him long and she wasn't sure how he would take his younger brother's cavalier approach. But when Zac told her his plan, she'd agreed.

"Shall we?" Joshuaasked as he took her elbow.

"Sure." She'd met Joshua for the first time this evening, and according to Zac this date thing between Grace and Joshua had been a set up. It didn't look like a set up to her. From where she stood these two people were in total lust with each other or in love. Either way this was no scam.

The music changed tempo and an insurgent beat from a recent chart hit throbbed. Couples split as the beat demanded more vigorous movement. People jostled, bumped and stepped on each other as they tried to make space for their frenetic movements.

"Can we sit this one out?" Grace hollered over the loudness. Zac heard her shout, though he wasn't sure that he caught the words or simply lip read them. He nodded. Slowly they made their way through the heaving mass as Zac escorted her back to the table.

Joshua saw them go. He'd never taken his eyes off her. He waited for the song to end before he escorted Shelley off the dance floor and made his way to their table.

"Where are they?" Joshua asked Luke as his friend gallantly surrendered his seat to Shelley.

"Grace went to the little girls' room. Zac's getting the drinks." Luke said, a teasing glint in his eyes. "I suggested he get you heaps of ice."

"I'll go help him get a bucket." Joshua replied as he turned away.

Joshua reached the bar just as Zac was paying. Joshua tapped his brother's shoulder. Zac turned his head saw that it was Joshua and threw him a questioning look.

"One of these for me?" Joshua asked as he reached for one of the empty pint glasses.

"No." Zac retorted bluntly. "Get your own." 

"She's my date Zac. I can kiss her."

"Kiss?" Zac picked up four bottles of beer. "Kiss?" He repeated impudently, before accusing boldly, "You were having full on sex."

"You sound like a worried father." Joshua told his younger brother. This was a novel experience. Receiving a lecture from Zac about personal relationships. The longest Zac went steady was a week.

"I am worried." Zac snapped at his brother, "I set this particular ball rolling and I don't like the way you are playing ball." He thrust the four bottles at Joshua and turned to pick up the other glasses. "I feel responsible." He tried to keep his voice calm as both brothers faced each other. "Don't blow it Josh."

"We were kissing." Joshua tried to placate his irate younger brother.

"Yeah, but for whose benefit?" Zac demanded then he reminded his brother in a furious voice. "Pretending for Lysette?"

"Lysette?" Joshua shook his head, wondering if he'd missed part of the conversation. What did Lystette have to do with all this? He thought they were talking about Grace. He saw real concern in the eyes of his normally laid back brother. Incredulity surged through Joshua before he all but spat in a savage whisper, "I don't give a shit about Lysette."

"O.k., don't get steamed Josh." Zac's easy going nature resurfaced. He grinned at his brother. "I was just making sure that's all."

"I'm planning on marrying Grace." Joshua snapped, still recovering from Zac's lack of logic.

Zac nodded ruefully, "Yeah, but your idea of planning includes not remembering to cancel dates with other women and worse still allowing Grace to find out. Some strategy." He beamed "And be a bit discrete on the dance floor. I don't want Shelley thinking my family are all nymphos. A touch of restraint would be appreciated."

"Look who's talking."

Zac continued to grin infuriatingly at his older brother. "Don't switch the subject. We were talking about you." He nudged his brother, "Let's go." He turned ready to walk back to the table where the others were no doubt waiting, "Oh, oh, here comes Grace."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

398 7 43
Emma Grace- a young 18 yr old enjoying her summer break with her best friend, and secret crush, Jeremiah Tidwell before going off to college. Knowing...
1K 61 22
Wesley had always struggled with breaking away from his family's expectations, but now he's made a big decision that will change everything. He's fin...
2.3K 114 21
"Blindness makes me see your undeniable beauty." - Edrei Hasluck This is a short story. Language used is English. Please bear with my grammar. :)
78 6 23
This story follows a small town girl named Grace, waiting tables and singing in her church choir. Her dreams of making it big as a singer are met whe...