Joshua's Grace

By SusanGarod

Grace is a thirty something workaholic in New Zealand, who returns from a conference to find that her father... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (2)
Chapter 1 (3)
Chapter 2 (1)
Chapter 2 (3)
Chapter 3 (1)
Chapter 3 (2)
Chapter 3 (3)
Chapter 4 (1)
Chapter 4 (2)
Chapter 4 (3)
Chapter 5 (1)
Chapter 5 (2)
Chapter 5 (3)
Chapter 6 (1)
Chapter 6(2)
Chapter 6 (3)
Chapter 7 (1)
Chapter 7 (2)
Chapter 7 (3)
Chapter 8 (1)
Chapter 8 (2)
Chapter 8 (3)
Chapter 9 (1)
Chapter 9 (2)
Chapter 9 (3)
Chapter 10 (1)
Chapter 10 (2)
Chapter 10(3)
Chapter 11 (1)
Chapter 11 (2)
Chapter 11 (3)
Chapter 12 (1)
Chapter 12 (2)
Chapter 12 (3)
Chapter 13 (1)
Chapter 13 (2)
Chapter 13(3)
Chapter 14 (1)
Chapter 14 (2)
Chapter 14 (3)
Chapter 15 (1)
Chapter 15 (2)
Chapter 15 (3)
Chapter 16 (1)
Chapter 16 (2)
Chapter 16 (3)
Chapter 17 (1)
Chapter 17 (2)
Chapter 17 (3)
Chapter 18 (1)
Chapter 18(2)
Chapter 18 (3)
Conclusion

Chapter 2 (2)

6 1 0
By SusanGarod

Joshua muttered to himself as he turned away. It had rapidly become apparent to Joshua that any conversation that Grace took part in was apt to veer into the ridiculous. She really was unbelievable. He'd been flippant to the point of rudeness and she hadn't even registered the attack. She was incredible. But right now he didn't want incredible, he wanted to be left alone. He focused on his first course and attempted to ignore her.

Zac sensing the rapid demise of genial talk and the escalation of open hostility immediately launched into conversation. Grace gratefully took the opportunity he presented. Their plates were cleared and there was a brief respite while they waited for the main course. Zac started on another round of amusing surfing anecdotes. Steven assisted with chef stories and Mariah and Grace laughed at all the right times. Hiding his troubled thoughts Joshua toyed with his drink.

The main course arrived. Occasionally Grace would attempt to draw Joshua into the conversation, but his stern stare eventually quelled that urge. After a while, she concentrated on talking solely to Zac, Steven and Mariah. Even though the meal was delicious Grace was pleased when all the courses had been served. Coming over had been a mistake. A big mistake. The question now was how and when she should make an excuse and escape back to the sanctuary of her own table. She had been buffeted by his silence, a cold silence that isolated her more than he could ever contemplate. For even though Zac had chatted away, it was difficult to forget the man on her left. The one who was diligently ignoring her.

Joshua tried, in vain, to ignore her. But she didn't know that. His features were schooled to hide his interest and more importantly his thoughts. But he was listening to her every word. And her laugh. Its sound was playing havoc with his heartbeat.

Grace was getting ready to leave the table, when the bridal couple doing their rounds, greeting guests and smiling happily, reached the De Souza table. The tension in Joshua was palpable. Grace couldn't help noticing the way his shoulders went rigid and the blank stare was studiously replaced with one of pseudo affability.

Craig spotted Grace instantly and, beaming at her, he came round the table to her side to take her into a warm hug. Grace smiled happily and returned the hug in full measure.

"Your RSVP said you couldn't make this."

"What a charming welcome." She remonstrated, but her smile belied her tone. She'd known him since they were children, and had often thought of him as a brother. As they'd grown they had spent less and less time together, but still that easygoing relationship was in place. 

"You know what I mean." He kissed her cheek and hugged her to him again. 'I haven't seen you in years." He kept an arm around her shoulder, pressing her to his side.

"A few years." She agreed, " And look what happens when I leave you on your own, you do the dirty on me and get married." She teased as she slapped a hand against his chest.

"Well ....." he tailed off suggestively, keeping her within the circle of his arms but turning to include the rest of the party. They were watching the reunion with unashamed curiosity.

"Yeah, yeah." She grinned.

"I didn't expect to see you here." He was looking at her in speculative inquiry.

"Dad isn't well, mum's keeping an eye on him." "Nothing serious I hope."

"I think it was the seafood they had yesterday, he'll be fine, pigged out on too many oysters I think."

He looked around, "No Bri and Sash?" He asked, referring to her sisters.

"Just me, but I'm with Joshua." Blatant, barefaced lie spoken with such conviction. Why was her mouth going into action before her brain could sound out the consequences? Although everyone seemed to respond to that statement, Grace noticed that Lysette had suddenly become very attentive.

Lysette stopped talking with Mariah and moved to stand beside Joshua. "Joshua darling" She enthused as she nuzzled his cheek and looked pointedly at Grace. Grace maintained her smile. Lysette pouted up at Joshua, and wrapped an arm along his waist Grace wanted to deck the woman. "I don't remember you and Miss...."

"Grace Carvalho" Blind to the intense tension, Craig introduced Grace to his wife. "Our parents have known each other for years. Hey, I even took her to her first rugby game."

"Only because I'd won two complimentary tickets to see the game." Grace added dryly.

"Well you couldn't have gone without me." Craig pointed out. "True." Grace conceded and smiled. "Dad and his rules." "Heh, you'd have been mobbed if you'd gone on your own." "A slight exaggeration."

"Guys," Craig turned his attention to Zac and Steven, "Would she have survived a rugby game without being picked up?"

"I was ten at the time." Grace laughed. "All the more reason."

Lysette looked critically at Grace, her pale blue eyes assessing, "Have you known Joshua long?"

For no concrete reason whatsoever, Grace had taken an instant dislike to the blonde woman. So it wasn't so much the question, but the tone that did it. She just didn't like her condescending supposition.

Appearing to be totally unaware of the challenge within the question, Grace remarked softly but loudly enough to be heard by those standing close by. "Long enough to talk marriage." 

"Marriage?" Lysette squeaked and her calm facade crumbled a little.

"You never mentioned that, you sly.." Craig began, only to be quickly interrupted by Grace. Grace was suddenly smote with regret and panic. She could feel Joshua's irritation. She shouldn't have done that. She had taken a dislike to the woman and was now reduced to trading cheap shots.

Grace started bailing herself out, "Just talk." But then Lysette would have to smile like a smug cat. Almost as if she could read the panic and see through the slightly modified truth. Intense dislike was replaced with the will to flatten the pretentious woman. "And, well, Joshua had a narrow escape. Someone tried to pressure him in to marriage." Grace was improvising as she went along, yet she couldn't have been nearer the truth. "So I'm not making her mistake. No pressure."

"Way to go Grace." Craig laughed, but his eyes narrowed as they made contact with Joshua's angry green gaze. Slowly Craig disengaged, as he misinterpreted Joshua's response. "Stay in touch." He added calmly just as Lysette threaded her arm through his.

"I think we should move on darling" Lysette suggested and smiled artificially at the group around her. "We've only managed to get round half the tables." She offered by way of explanation as she tugged on her husband's arm.

"Already ruled by the petticoat government." He said happily as he was led away across the room. 

The instant they were out of earshot Joshua whipped around to face Grace. His mouth held an exasperated slant.

She shrugged, "I didn't like her." She added candidly. Like, didn't even start to describe the way she felt about that woman. There was something about her that rubbed Grace up the wrong way. Lysette was vain, supercilious and she thought she owned Joshua. 

"You shrew." Joshua marched off. He left her standing there to face puzzled curious stares. Grace was ready to curl up and die. Everyone within their immediate radius had heard him. Possibly within a five- foot radius, he certainly hadn't been quiet in denouncing her. Open up and let me slide in. She commanded the floor. But the damage was done and the floor was pretty solid.

Joshua was half way to the bar when his conscience clobbered him. Grace was a hundred percent right. Lysette had pushed for marriage, he had said no and she had taken up with Craig within the week. Now here was a woman, who he didn't even like, guessing accurately at the truth. And instead of thanking her, he'd crucified her. Loudly. He reached the bar and ordered a whisky. His brain mulling over ancient history. As far as Lysette was concerned both men were good options. Joshua realized this, Craig hadn't. But then Joshua wasn't in love. Craig was.

Grace watched Joshua stride furiously toward the bar, and then the remaining group all spoke at once to her. All with the intention of covering up the ugly silence his departure had created.

"You ok?" Steve asked quietly. He'd been surprised by Joshua's reaction. Joshua never raised his voice. Even when Steve brought Mariah home late one night after a school disco, when he'd started dating her, Joshua had not lost his temper. Instead he had been quiet, deliberate and very clear. Steve had brought Mariah home on time after that, much to Mariah's annoyance.

"Brilliant." Zac announced.

"Why did you do that?" Mariah asked.

Sighing Grace turned to face them and said "I apologise." She glanced over her shoulder in time to see Joshua reach the bar. "I'd better go say sorry to him too." Grace suggested without much spirit. She had no business jumping in just because she couldn't control her dislike of the other woman. She'd made such a mess of it all because she'd gone with her gut feeling rather than her intellect. This time she was going to think before she spoke. Not one word was going to leave her lips until her brain had sifted through the ramifications. With general good byes said, Grace picked up her small black handbag and followed Joshua to the bar.

"Joshua." She said quietly but firmly. He didn't even glance at her. Grace put her hand lightly on his shoulder. "Look, I won't take up much of your time. Please listen to me."

"I think you've said plenty already, don't you?" He couldn't keep the sting from his voice.

"Yes" Grace agreed softly, as she persevered "and I'm sorry, but you don't know why I did it."

"I don't give a shit, but I can hazard a guess." He snapped without looking up at her. "You like meddling in what doesn't concern you. You're opinionated, pretentious and you like your own way. Now what else is there?" He drawled insultingly, still not bothering to look at her. He swirled the contents of his glass, "Oh, yes, I forgot, you really do think I am yours, because your father buys your men." His disparagement was almost complete, "That about covers it." He took a long swig of his drink as if he'd said nothing of any immense consequence.

Grace was reeling from his comments, but she was grateful that at least this time he had kept his voice low and glancing furtively around she was relieved to note that no one else was within earshot. Thank heaven for small mercies. She schooled herself not to reflect the bruises his words inflicted. She'd brought this on herself. She shouldn't have interfered. She needed to apologise and leave. Just apologise and leave. Brain waves didn't result in the action intended. Grace signalled the waiter and asked for a ginger ale. Though they had hurt her deeply she attempted to dismiss his comments and explain the situation. She had to explain

"You many not believe this, but I did it to help." She studied his profile while he appeared to brood. His profile was strong and distinctive, a straight sturdy nose, sharply defined cheekbones and lips and a perfect jaw.

He snorted derisively and then looked into the amber liquid in the glass he held. The ice clinked against the side. The need to explain was quashed by that expressive sound. The waiter placed a glass in front of Grace. She smiled her thanks before he moved on to another guest. She picked up her glass and raised it in a mockery of a salute.

"Cheers. You are making an ass of yourself." She said succinctly when the bartender was out of ear shot. Then she sipped her drink.

"So what is it to you?" He snapped belligerently, not making the slightest attempt to hide the animosity.

"You seemed like a good guy. A bit grumpy and arrogant at times, but generally ok. Plus your family are worried about you. I like them." She sighed softly, "Lysette hurt you by marrying a friend of yours. But it isn't the end of the world." She asserted tritely.

"You know nothing."

"True." Grace looked at his profile, he still hadn't turned to face her. She was ready to concede defeat, but surprisingly she wanted to help him, quite why, she didn't know. He'd been rude, offensive and downright truculent, but she really did want to help him. Idiot that she was. There was a fascinating duality that had her ensnared. On the one hand he was aggressive, a starchy successful programmer and on other occasions he'd been considerate. Their journey from the airport to her cottage in Cambridge had shown her both sides. He'd been rude to her, belligerent to the point of rudeness, but when they'd returned to the car she'd also noticed that the seat had been lowered, so clearly he had tried to provide some measure of comfort when she had slept. 

He felt her staring and turned to glower at her angrily, "But?" He prompted, seeing that she was going to keep at him.

She continued maintaining eye contact, "Lysette and Craig made their choice and you getting drunk doesn't change that." Her words were flat, the pace measured, just recapping the facts.

"So?" He retorted and continued to focus on his whisky.

"So," She emphasised, "don't do it." She gently beseeched, "Joshua, there are people here who really care about you, don't embarrass them and yourself because one idiot woman doesn't." Even to her own ears she sounded like a prissy do gooder.

He turned away, signalled the waiter and ordered another whisky. Grace downed her drink. This was pointless, he really was determined not to dig himself out of this mood. She had run out of patience and resigned herself to the fact that he was determined to wallow.

Grace capitulated. "You know Mr De Souza...."

"What happened to Joshua?" He interrupted, turning his head to look at her, quirking an eyebrow in challenge.

"He's a seditious jerk." She put her glass down with a heavy thud and turned and walked briskly away.

Grace was furious with herself and with him. It had been like talking to a brick wall. No, no, a brick wall would have been more responsive. He'd made no effort to even listen to what she had to say. Total waste of time. She should have left him to drown himself in drink, he'd regret it in the morning. That was her only consoling thought as she strode quickly away from the bar. She returned to her original seat, where she was flanked by two elderly, but sober, men. She knew they must have heard Joshua's earlier character assassination of her, but they were pretending to have forgotten all about it.

She bid her time, waiting for an opportunity to leave. Grace listened to the conversation around her, but not once did she look in the direction of the De Souza table. She didn't know whether Joshua had returned to the table and she was too angry to care. Instead she glanced surreptitiously at her watch at numerous times. Time dragged on. Perhaps another fifteen minutes and then she would make her escape.

The master of ceremonies informed everyone that the bridal couple would soon take to the floor for the first waltz. Grace breathed a sigh of relief, as soon as the floor filled with other couples she would leave. That should conceal her departure. More than likely, only the few people at her table would actually notice that she had left. Some minutes later Craig and Lysette began to dance. After several solo rounds, they were joined by the wedding party and eventually other couples. Great. Relief flooded through Grace as she watched the floor crowd. Escape was tangible. Grace smiled at the two men who had kept her entertained with stories about farming. She explained that she had to leave and she was about to push back her chair and utter further words of regret and departure, when she realised someone was assisting her. Her chair seemed to move of its own accord.

"May I have this dance?"

She recognised the voice instantly. Damn. And even more worrying, though there was nothing overtly suggestive in his manner or tone, his softly spoken request had a husky depth that made her heart somersault.

"No." She smiled automatically and without a trace of sincerity, hoping that the surprise and panic that she was feeling did not show. "I'm on my way home." She supplied as an explanation as she assessed the situation and debated whether to take to opportunity to leave right now.

Black eyebrows rose over understanding, apologetic, green eyes. "One dance." Joshua pushed, "Just one." He cajoled gently. "You can't leave a wedding reception without dancing." He chided jokingly, when he realised she wasn't being persuaded. Of course he knew she could be stubborn, but he also knew she was kind, and so he waited, his eyes holding hers, as he waited to see what she would do. 

"No you can't." Said one of the elderly gentlemen in a conspirational voice.

"Not good etiquette." Chimed the other elderly man.

Grace looked at Joshua closely, trying to ascertain whether he was drunk. He looked sober, but she knew for a fact that he had consumed at least two glasses of whisky. Plus the champagne.

"I'm not drunk." He said quietly, green eyes holding her own dark eyes hostage.

"You aren't drunk and you want to dance with me? Now that I find hard to believe." She mocked openly as she fought off her attraction to him. The smell of him, soap, sandalwood aftershave and male pheromones were making her nervous.

His lips settled into a faint smile as he acknowledged her comment. This was harder than he'd expected. He'd thought about what he'd said and he knew he'd been thoughtless. She'd received the backwash. Not surprising then that she wasn't jumping at an opportunity to dance with him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 885 58
In a world where devotion and love clash, Ella Smith finds herself at a fork in the road. Driven by her need to provide for her family, she sets out...
94 1 70
(This version is published on Amazon.) The day Grace meets Marcel, her life turns upside down. She leaves Manchester, the only city she has ever kno...
100 9 12
A young girl who had a traumatic past from when she was little, tries to find peace with herself and her past and moves to England in order to start...
204K 6.9K 59
The worst thing in a girl's life is supposed to be a bad break up. At least, that's what Grace Tanner thought before her world came crashing down on...