Penny & the Guardians

By SunshineRo91

When Penny takes a job as a carer for Alice, who's mobility and memories are fading. She doesn't expect this... More

Disclaimer
1 - Release
2 - Room to grow
3 Not a suitable option
4 - There is no price
5 The moon, the fox and the worm
6 - Have to be earned
7 - Neighbours a show
8 - New home
9 - Do this properly
10 - I have eyes
11 - You left
12 - Man sweat
13 - Moon Goddess
14 - Berries and Honey
16 - Barielles
17 - The Merciful isle of Osira
18 - Crash Solo
19 - Garnian Corporation
20 - River water
21 - Deino
22 - Matsu
23 - Upturned Prongs
24 - Cabin
25 - Floating
26 - Exile
27 - Stuck Up Bounty Hunters
28 - Moving on
29 - Ten mini pasta dishes
30 - Harold
31 - Lost in the night
32 - Barbara
33 - Squad 5
34 - Landrags
35 - Training
36 - Flyers Tavern
37 - Fight
38 - Tales

15 - First Meeting

11 1 0
By SunshineRo91

The bedroom door bangs and my eyes open filling with bright light.

"Come on, sleeping beauty, we have to leave in fifteen if we don't want to miss the start."

I stumble up and shower, pulling on a long floaty light yellow skirt and a cute white short-sleeved blouse, I was boiling my skin heating at all this movement. I popped a loose violet cardigan, its long sleeves covered the bruises on my arms. I let my hair down, now washed, the heat was already making it big. I put some serum in and was thankful when at least a curl was managed at the end. I put some small chunky gold hoop earrings in, some tinted moisturiser and mascara to make me feel like I had a healthy-looking mask to hide behind. I felt half-human as I assessed myself in the mirror. If I felt more myself I might have laughed at the irony that I was only half human. If I was lucky to have a human connection, all I knew was at least part of me has guardian blood.

Seth drives ridiculously fast for a Sunday morning to the hall and we are five minutes early. I carry the casserole that's still warm through to the side door and on a long table. I go back for Alice Seth has pushed her up the steep ramp and I take her from there. He smiles

"You got this." he whispers next to my cheek and I smile.

I see Leo and the spokesperson welcoming people as they come through the door. I pushed Alice and it's easier today my arms start aching as I reach the door, my blood feeling like its boiling. I reach the doorway and they both smile at Alice and me.

"Welcome Penny" Leo says, shaking my hand and touching my back ever so gently. The move feels like he's checking me over as my back tingles, a new ripple that is not my own makes my heart race.

I keep moving while ignoring any nerves. Fortunately, the effort to push Alice was enough to distract me. My muscles are weak. This is hard and my slow movement is noticed by a couple on the back row of seats who give me arched brows..

"We can stay down here." Alice hushed up to me, but I ignored her.

I grit my teeth as I push her up the ramp to the raised area at the back. She felt like she was carrying a cinder block in her lap.

They were good seats with a decent view of everyone and the podium. I sit next to Alice no one joins us. My neck is sweating from the energy to push Alice up the ramp. I slip my cardigan off for a moment so I can cool down my melting skin. 

I look down expecting to see steam rising under my cardigan from my heated skin. 

A dizziness blurs my vision, my eyelids heavy.

my stomach dips as if I've missed a step. No! it's not happening. I can't have an episode here, now, no please, please.

Breathe I command myself I focus on the floor in front of me exhaling trying to bring my focus back distracted from the swelling in my skin from the heat underneath.

Alice finds my arm and after a moment my skin cools I wipe my neck from the dampness I can feel. My eyes focus sharper and I feel clearer.

I feel eyes on me and turn to the town hall doors which are closing.

I fear trickled through me as I took in Leo's face, his eyes staring at me like he hated me. I shuffled my gaze to the front feeling like a foolish gazelle turning from a preying lion.

Run. My back tingles

I gripped my cardigan and placed it over my shoulders. I had no idea what he was mad at me about.

The community meeting consisted of celebrating births remembering the recently passed members sending thoughts for their families and ideas to help those who were going through hard times. At the end, I feel like we should all clap but no one did. Then four small children no older than seven I thought, had a talent show and it was the cutest thing to see their dance routine. Then a pitch for kids to come around and update all your household gadgets for a yearly fee. I was impressed with their funny pitch like everyone else. When it was finished I headed for the food table

"Are you hungry?" she asks with a smile on her face.

"Yes, starving. I reach for a berry and hear a gasp. I turn the raspberry at my lips.

"Penn!" Alice barks."

"What?" I say, biting into it and licking my lips.

"That food is not for you!" She glares but I can see the amusement in her eyes as I place the raspberry in my palm and smile at the dirty looks surrounding us.

My cheeks burning I force a smile.

"Sorry! My first meeting! I brought a great casserole." I point to my dish and a few dirty looks shift to eye rolls. I move Alice away from the table as fast as I can to an open door at the side of the hall. "Why didn't you tell me?" I whisper in her ear. My embarrassment burning up internally the stress was making my back fizz.

"I forgot!" she whispered back a small giggle escaping revealing her innocence was not pure.

"Nice try" I cut back at her.

"Behave, he's coming" Alice says, I look up wondering who she was on about. I see Leo approaching a serious mask on his face.

"Hello, Mr Navarro" I tried my nerves mounting as I remembered his fury.

"Don't even try that with me, Penelope!" he starts, halting and shifts as people notice his hushed tones. He rubs the back of his head. I can't help but feel excited instead of worried when he says my name with such fury. Okay, maybe I do have a problem. I'm free now. He should not have this effect on me.

He finally looks at me, taking a step so we are the closest we've even been.

"This way now." he steps through a door, the movement fast that I feel the air ripple as he leaves my side. I glance at Alice who's frowning at me "Go on then child." she scoffs. I follow him as soon as she gives me the okay to leave her.

I give her the peace sign with my two fingers to tell her I wont be long.

I see a door open through the pale cream hall and Leo pacing inside. When I step through he barks.

"Close the door."

I do and step closer, his pacing making me feel guilty instead of scared.

"Why are you so mad with me?" I am not sure I had the energy to have banter with him or even a row.

He stops pacing when he looks at me, his eyes darting to my cardigan covered arms.

"Show me them." he says into my eyes and my stomach swirls fro the intensity even across the room I can feel his anger.

"It's not what you think, it was all under control." I say when I see his eyebrows raise at me not removing my cardigan. I raise my hands slowly, pulling it from my shoulders. When it's off he reaches me from across his large office in an instant. So close his body warmth is like an air heater, his smell circling me as his eyes glued to my arms, his fingers reaching out to lift them but he doesn't touch my skin.

"They're big hands." he comments the coldness in his tone, making me shiver.

His finger caresses my chin moving my eyes up to his swirling pupils.

"Come back." he says into my eyes, my back becomes alive with ripples and I'm not sure if its joy or a warning. I step back and he follows my move.

"Let me show you this community for what it really is. This ," His fingers barely make contact with the skin on my upper arms " whatever happened to give you this is never right for you. Getting hurt like this is not acceptable without an explanation." His voice losing its cutthroat edge. His eyes were pleading and I wasn't sure if everyone got to see this version of our leader. Somehow I think I knew who had one out of Leo's abilities, his logical pragmatism.

I breathe deep, his scent actually being very comforting.

"I had a bit more growing to do Navarro." I say quietly into his eyes and to my relief he smiles.

"You are tired, if you want to stay home this evening I can drive you back later." he looks serious as he offer his fingers while still holding my arms. My heart does that little swell.

"You are a good leader. My brother will be happy to know you are looking out for me." I stand up and try and stabilise the dizziness I feel. I feel him close.

"Penny, are you okay?", his arms wrapping around me. This was too close but he has an arm around my back, he is looking me over as if expecting to see more bruises hidden. I close my eyes and feel like I can relax.

Before my body relaxes I spring my eyes open. I couldn't fall asleep here.

"I'm fine, thanks just tired." I smile up to him as he gently puts my cardigan back on. "Thank you for including me." I'm honest when I say this to him and the worry shifts in his face.

"Surprised it's not all human sacrifices and chants?" He says quietly next to me a small smirk growing on his worried expression. My stomach pulled as vision flashed through my mind of Friday night.

"Can I come next Sunday?" I ask him his eyes widen, I'm so close I can observe the little movements.

"You better do, if you want to keep your freedom in Deacon." his eyes go a little dark as deacon leave his lips.

"Understood Mr Navarro." I say trying to lighten the mood and wondering if he would ask me to call him Leo, ever. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 122 26
A school where teens learn how to be superheroes. I do not own anything in this fanfic. As always,please be respectful to not only me but also every...
2.4K 239 48
Rain. That's what my mother named me. I am born tough and strong but extremely pretty. My one and only weakness... Life in middle school wasn't ea...
2.5K 621 45
||This book is currently undergoing major editing. The new version may have a lot of alterations but you can go on reading. It has not been changed y...
11.4K 800 68
If your life went from ordinary to extraordinary, it would be great, right? Wrong. Cursed by a fairy queen. Split into two people. Magical powers th...