Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 9

258 16 5
By arlenerae

Ares Simon's POV:

"Keep your guard up, I'm going to throw a jab," I nodded as Maron warned before he extended the lead hand quickly and aimed for my face.

On reflex, my body moved on its own as I defended. He followed, throwing a hook, "Block!" He said.

I got into a blocking position just as someone's soft laughter echoed in my head. Distracted, I blocked his hook partially, getting hit in the sides and stepping back.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"Nothing!" I got into a defending position again as Maron kept throwing punches, but her laugh, voice, and the moments from years ago kept me distracted, resulting in getting several hits in return.

"What the hell, man? What's going on with you?" He barked at me, but his voice didn't register in my head.

A sudden memory from years ago flashed in front of my eyes, and Sven's words echoed, along with a disturbing memory of them together.

"Stay away from my woman!"

"You have no right!"

"You think I didn't notice the way you look at her?"

"You aren't just a jerk but an indecisive coward too, who can't even decide who he actually loves,"

"I'm no saint, but even I'm better than you. At least I know what I really want,"

"You have done enough damage already, stay the f**k away from us!"

"LEAVE MY GIRL ALONE!"

I recalled as I dashed back inside school towards the hallway to apologize to Elysia, but I didn't find her alone there. It was Sven Damaris who was holding her before he leaned down and kissed her, but the worst thing was she never pushed him away.

"Argh!" I rushed forward to land insane punches as he tried to defend, but I was mad, ragingly mad. I hated both of them.

I felt my knuckles split open inside the gloves, but there was nothing that could stop me at this moment. Those moments, the feelings, lies, my regrets, everything came rushing down upon me at once.

"F**k, get into your senses, man! It's been a while since you acted like this. Now, I'm missing Adira; at least, she calmed your madness a little," Maron said as he tried to defend as much as possible but still ended up being beaten. The mere mention of Adira halted my movements.

Everything around me calmed down, slowly falling back into its place. Adira Beyonce Jackson, the only woman who was the reason for my whatever trust I had left in women. The woman who proved to me that true love does exist, and the woman who proved that there's still some women left who were loyal and loved only one man in their entire life...

"Wow! Now that's a magic word. I should have used it sooner," Maron mocked, wiping his lips that were bleeding.

"You were the one who opted for this, and honestly after what you did today, it definitely serves you right," I took off my boxing gloves and stepped out of the ring.

Wiping my bleeding knuckles with a towel, I sat down and opened a water bottle. Maron also followed, gulping from his water bottle.

"Okay, I admit, I did something stupid, but can you blame me? Whether you admit it or not, Elysia affects you a lot. I haven't seen you acting like this for years. We have been friends since kindergarten, Ares, and the only woman who could make you behave like this is undoubtedly the one and only Elysia Lawson. I don't even understand how Aubrey got in between you both. I never liked that girl from the beginning but you were so determined to date her because she was your ideal girl that you were in love with, but she never had an affect on you and you know that very well. The only women who ever affected you were, Elysia or Adira."

"It's surprising how different these two women can make you behave. You were a ticking bomb in the past until you met Adira. I thought you would be able to move on because you seemed calmer and at peace. But imagine my shock when you let her go and not just that, you actually helped them getting back together without even them knowing. What the hell were you thinking man? It's the opposite of what my best friend would do? How could you let a woman you love go without a fight? It's unlike you," he stared at me in confusion.

Completely ignoring his comments about Aubrey, I narrowed my eyes at him and answered, "First; Elysia Lawson DOES NOT and COULD NEVER affect me in this life. She just infuriates me because she is just, just... annoying." I paused, taking a breath to calm my anger that suddenly arose again.  "Secondly, letting Adira go was never a one-moment decision." Maron glanced at me questioningly before his eyes widened.

"You mean, you..." He mumbled and stared at me in shock, but I stood up and left him there, making my way to shower.

I stood under the warm water; thoughts clouded my head as I recalled Maron's words. He was right, I was never the man who let go without a fight, and definitely not a guy who would help the woman I love to get together with someone else, but it was different with Adira. Falling for her was never the plan, it just happened, even after knowing how it would end.

Years ago, when she stepped into my office and became my executive assistant, I was shocked to see the change in her. But when I investigated, and the moment I read the details about her ex-husband and what really happened, was the moment I realized she would never be in my life forever, and that one day, he would return to take back what was truly his.

If I hadn't pulled the strings and brought that investor to travel here, Aiden wouldn't have met her coincidentally. So letting her go was never the one-moment decision but it took me years to prepare myself to finally let her go to whom she always belonged.  Looking back, I know what I felt at that time. I never wanted her to end up like me, hiding behind indecisiveness until you lose the one you really loved. No matter how many times I deny it, I knew Elysia meant a lot to me than I realized until I saw her that day with Sven, but I was late and ended up losing her. It took years for me to move on and when Adira came, I was finally able to live but the last thing I expected was to see Elysia again.

After Elysia and Adira, I promised myself that I would never go down that road again. Years ago, I let go of Elysia and it almost ruined me, but I won't let it affect me again because this time, I won't open my heart to anyone... My safe way.

************

The next morning, I didn't go to the office and worked from my penthouse until the afternoon. There was an important meeting, so I had to attend even when I didn't want to see her.

When I walked inside the conference hall and met her eyes, it took everything in me to control my rage. I clenched my fists so tight that my knuckles started bleeding again.

She isn't mine!

She was never mine!

Even if they are together, it isn't my business.

I kept reminding myself, but it was easier said then done. My irrational side got the best of me, and I ended up scolding her. When Ronald offered to bring the file from Elysia, I stopped him and went to her office myself.

She was startled by my presence, but what I didn't expect was her reaction when I threw the file.

She stilled moving backward until her back collided with the wall. She was staring at me blankly before her unfocused eyes grew large and terrified.

"Elysia!" I called her, but suddenly she covered her ears, sliding down the wall.

"No!" She curled up, bringing her knees close to her chest and started mumbling.

"Elysia! Are you okay?" When my shock subsided, I freaked out, seeing her like that. Every ounce of my anger vanished like foam. I had never ever seen her like this before.

What the heck is actually going on?

She seemed to be in a trance-like state.

I crouched down in front of her in panic and tried to hold her hands, but she started sobbing uncontrollably.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! It's my fault, I'm sorry. I won't do it again." She repeated like a mantra. She was looking at me but not talking to me. I could tell through her unfocused eyes.

"Elysia, it's me, Ares! Look at me, sweetheart, I'm here, it's me," I didn't know what to do except calling her, but she was unresponsive.

"NO!!! I'm sorry, I won't do it again, please, I'm sorry, mother," she let out with a whimper.

Mother?!

What. The. Heck!

She suddenly clutched her chest as if in intense pain. I cupped her face with my hands and made her look at me in the eyes.

"Come out of it, Elysia!" I gazed into her eyes and kept calling for her until I noticed her staring at me for a moment before she passed out in my arms.

"Elysia? Elysia?" I called out anxiously, receiving nothing but silence. I immediately picked her up and rushed out of the office building towards my car.

I don't know how I reached the hospital and explained the situation to the staff, but the only thing I kept checking was her pulse and breathing.

Now, I was pacing back and forth in front of the room, all the while freaking out as various horrible scenarios swirled inside my head. When the doctor came out, I rushed towards him.

"What happened to her? Is she okay? Is she hurt? Her pulse was really slow, and she seemed like she was in intense pain before passing out. Is she going to be okay? When is she–" the doctor raised his hand in front of my face and interrupted.

"Calm down, gentleman! She is completely fine, just low blood pressure. We have administered a drip and when it's done, you may take her home." Releasing a sigh of relief, I thanked the doctor and walked towards the room where they shifted her.

Opening the door quietly, I walked inside, finding Elysia trying to get up from the bed. "Wait! Wait! You can't just get up like that, the doctor said until the drip is finished, you need to lay down here." I rushed towards her and spoke gently.

She looked up at me surprised before averting her gaze and stared out of the window.

I wanted to ask questions about what happened earlier because it had been bugging me for a while. But I had no idea how to ask such a personal question to her. I awkwardly stood by her side, preparing myself to ask her when she suddenly spoke.

"I want to resign!"

One sentence, four words yet my heart suddenly dropped.

Why?

Because of her tone, she said it straight, not looking at me and... not stuttering even once.

This was the first time in my whole life of knowing Elysia that she said something to me without stuttering.

Why do I feel upset?

Isn't it what I really wanted?

Yes, exactly!

I wanted her gone from my office and my life, but now that she really wants to go, I feel uncomfortable.

I would have gladly accepted her resignation if she had resigned a little earlier, but now that I had seen her like that, I just couldn't let her resign.

I stared at her carefully, recalling her startling everytime she heard loud noises; her scared eyes when I talked a little louder. Something happened to her, something very messy and horrible, and I want to know it. No! I need to know what really happened.

"So, are you ready to pay the penalty then?" I asked, keeping my voice quiet and neutral. If this is the only way, then so be it.

Her head turned towards me in a lightning speed, assessing my face, but I made sure to keep it expressionless, daring her to say 'yes'.

She kept thinking and said nothing but turned her face away from me.

I arched an eyebrow at her, aware that she was mad, and now she was showing me her anger like this. I pursed my lips and looked down, trying to stop my smile. I know it wasn't time to smile but her actions were adorable.

'So you're letting her stay?' a voice in my head whispers.

I took a deep breath, preparing for a war, a war with myself...

It's just curiosity, nothing else!

'Sure, Sure!' my inner voice mocked.

***************

Well! Well! Lovelies, I have a habit of talking to myself A LOT and I thought it was insane but I'm sure I'm not the only one?

Share your thoughts in comments, I would love to know your feedback and opinion about the story so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 666 54
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
153K 21.4K 70
A flirty bartender entraps two men, an average guy and a billionaire. She's sought after by both men, who desire her. Madison Hart is outspoken, dete...
4.9K 931 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...