Penny & the Guardians

By SunshineRo91

When Penny takes a job as a carer for Alice, who's mobility and memories are fading. She doesn't expect this... More

Disclaimer
1 - Release
2 - Room to grow
3 Not a suitable option
4 - There is no price
5 The moon, the fox and the worm
6 - Have to be earned
8 - New home
9 - Do this properly
10 - I have eyes
11 - You left
12 - Man sweat
13 - Moon Goddess
14 - Berries and Honey
15 - First Meeting
16 - Barielles
17 - The Merciful isle of Osira
18 - Crash Solo
19 - Garnian Corporation
20 - River water
21 - Deino
22 - Matsu
23 - Upturned Prongs
24 - Cabin
25 - Floating
26 - Exile
27 - Stuck Up Bounty Hunters
28 - Moving on
29 - Ten mini pasta dishes
30 - Harold
31 - Lost in the night
32 - Barbara
33 - Squad 5
34 - Landrags
35 - Training
36 - Flyers Tavern
37 - Fight
38 - Tales

7 - Neighbours a show

26 6 2
By SunshineRo91

We pull into the street I live on and my house living room light is still on.

"Oh great," I mumbled, didn't mean to verbalise it but it was a little humiliating to see the outline of my parents still up. I texted them that I would be back late. I was seeing something with Alice.

"Okay well see you Monday" Unbuckling my seatbelt and feeling a strange mixture of hope and excitement that I was the closest to being free for a while was amazing, making my legs shake. But I was anchored in my seat with dread for the imminent meeting with my parents. Had they lied to me all my life? My brother as well? After Alice's and Seth's warning that I couldn't say anything to them if I wanted my own life. A small voice crept up as I reasoned with not telling them. What was more important to me, my freedom or the truth?

I feel a swirl in my chest and it's not familiar but it is strangely comforting. I'm not sure if it's from Alice or Seth but it gives me a calm wave as I grip the handle.

"You okay? You want me to come in with you?" Seth asks. Although he doesn't look like he wants to come in.

"I'm okay thanks probably best not to stir anything else up." I smile at them both and Alice reaches for my hand. I let her take it.

"Soon Penny you world is going to open up to you," I smile my heart leaps. This is what I had dreamt about. Don't think about your parents lying. Don't. I get out and the warm night air feels alive on my skin. I step out and glance at the forest line. Don't run. I repeat my familiar mantra.

I come up the three wood steps and push the handle down knowing it will be open, I had seen my dads head as I passed the window. I open the door and a swirling in my stomach picks up my eyes scan my living room. The big blue velour cushy sofa looking completely out of place with Mylo and Leo on it. i barely register closing the door as my eyes make their way around the room to my parents in their big armchairs with multicoloured patterns blankets laid all over them. My parents look worried and their shoulders drop a little as i stand on the edge of the space between the sofas looking at them all. It's very surreal to see Leo and Mylo sitting on my sofa, the bohemian miss mash of patterns and colours making them look out of place. What the hell were they doing here? Where was my brother? The claustrophobia of being kept here was making my heart race despite the trouble I could sense I was in. This was ridiculous I rationalised I was twenty and allowed out. Sort of.

I don't say anything, my gaze falls on Leo again watching me, still sitting.

"Penny love, you are home late" mum says softer than I thought she would. I fill my lungs with air ready to explain but the noise of slamming car doors outside disturbs me.

I glance out the window and freeze as I see Ted talking to Seth. He's out of the car and it doesn't look like its going well.

I step towards the door ignoring my name coming from Leo.

I jump down the four steps and run to my brother so can whisper scream at him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I want to scream but it's still only half whispered through my gritted teeth hoping my glare would have an impact, along with my grip on his arm as hard as I can. Ted scowls down at me.

"Penny, don't trust a word this guy says he's a-"

"I know Ted," I whisper interrupting him. Ted freezes, Seth arches his brow like its ridiculous

"What?" he glances over my shoulder.

"You knew and you left with him this evening?"

"I left with Alice and Seth. But I'm back now so there really is no need for all this," I wave my hand and turn to the house, halting as Leo fills my vision standing behind me. He looks pissed but his eyes aren't on me, they are on Seth.

"I told her this evening," Seth says closer behind me. A surprising feat as my brother and Leo seemed to be trying to kill him with just their glares.

"Look, let's all calm down," I say thinking my brother was being particularly judgemental when he himself was one of the scariest things I had ever seen in my life.

My dad comes out and he looks calm, which is a relief. He stands next to Ted and sighs.

"Seth?" he says, his copper moustache thick and bushy, he was shorter than Ted and Leo now but he was still pretty scary when he lost his shit.

"Yes nice to meet you, is it Mr Trenfer?" Seth asks, I glance up at him.

"To you it is," my dad says curtly.

I raise my hand to move the conversation along.

"Seth is Alice's nephew. He drove us out and then is bringing me home. It's late now if Alice and him can go home please?" I hope my tone tells them I think they are all stupid. It's still tense.

"Seth, thank you for bringing Penny home," My dad gives me a resigned look that I was trouble.

"Come on Penny let's stop giving the neighbours a show," he looks at my brother and Leo.

"Get on with your night boys she's home now," he says and I nod at Seth to say goodnight. I head in with my dad. He puts his arm around me when we gets in and smiles.

"I knew you were going to break hearts my Penny.First night out and two men worrying about you,"

"I didn't mean to involve Mr Navarro. I was with Alice," I say again and dad shakes his head.

"If you had a good time that's all I care about. I know you're a smart young woman now, I trust you," he says and gives my forehead a kiss.

"I wanted to go to bed but your mum said we would look rude when Leo arrived" I smile knowing if my dad was still laughing then I could relax.

"Now do your brother a favour and speak to Leo so we can all rest" I nod and feel my stomach swirl. Ted and Leo were still talking outside I step outside and wonder if I ever imagined I'd be talking to Leo in one day as much as I have today.

I step down and Leo gives me his attention. No anger, no suspicion in his face. Perhaps a little amusement but I can't be sure. Concentrate Penny.

"I'm sorry," I say the new future is playing in my mind, feeding me happy thoughts,  keeping my tone calm and sincere.

"Did you have fun at least?" he asks, hands in his pockets.

"Yes I did," Clouds of blue smoke filling my mind and making me feel like I've missed a step.

"Good. Now you have two options," he stands straighter I think he has closed the space between us a bit more. He breathes deep eyes on me making sure I'm listening.

"Take a job I offer you at the club, I'll make sure it's well paid and hours to fit around your course. After six months we will review your moving out of the community status,"

I waited hoping the second option was not going to have a timeline attached. I wait in silence taking in his strong jaw and deep hazel eyes, when he doesn't continue.

"Or?" I try to help.

A shiver runs down my spine as I watch one of his thick brows arch slowly as he glares. I'm trying to catch my breath without showing it.

"Or my original terms still stand, leave with someone in the community and you disclose your trip,"

I remember how to inhale air into my lungs as he finishes, those terms still allowed me to move with Seth and Alice.

"Okay thank you I will think about it," I finish and feel uneasy as he frowns at me.

"We head out for a week in the morning. We can discuss it when we are back," Straightening up his step makes us closer. My brother is talking with Mylo next to an expensive 4x4 I knew was Leo's. His inky eyes find mine.

"Despite how you feel here, you are part of our community and you will have the same protection as everyone. You may feel like we are strict, but remember if you ever need help come to us, and we will always help you," he says into my eyes. My chest tightens as his words hit my ears. It was sincere and the first time someone had made me feel welcome in a long while. My words are trapped in the revelations of this evening and the emotional rollercoaster this man in front of me had put me through made me exhausted and sad. A gnawing sensation playing at my gut if I left the way I was planning to.

"Thank you," I said when he was still standing in front of me his eyes taking me in. "My parents love it here and Ted is," I stare at him as he laughs with Mylo. " in his element," I glance back at Leo, his face blank. "I just wanted you to know that although I seem ungrateful about my part of the community I'm not. I just have no room to grow here,"  wishing I had finished earlier, feeling like an idiot. My eyes met his as he frowned at me.

"Take care of yourself Penny," He turns without another look and walks to the car. I head back inside. My body feeling heavy from today. I shower and get into bed, my hair still wet. I would sleep in tomorrow and work out what my life had become. 

---

Hope you're enjoying so far, 

Rosie x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
50 20 20
It's coming near to the end of Alethea Jenson's school year, and she can't wait to work and earn some money. However, like every story, there is alwa...
58 1 51
As a new school year begins, many students pour into Dawns High School, the most prestigious school in the nation. Only the most high-ranking student...
1.1K 20 20
Aqua is just another 15 year old teenager. She is transitioning from Middle School to High School, worrying about the many obstacles she'll have to f...