Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 8

276 17 12
By arlenerae

Elysia's POV:

I sighed for the nth time as I tried to focus on my work again, but my concentration was not cooperating with me. It has been long gone since a week ago.

This week has been hectic for me, not just physically but emotionally as well. Facing Ares every day wasn't easy, and on top of that, I've been receiving anonymous gifts and notes every other day. The weirdest thing is, I feel like I'm being watched, but every time I look around, I find nothing unusual.

I should really pay a visit to Dr. Jennifer. I think I'm being paranoid. I recalled Sven's lecture on the phone today in the office.

I walked into my office with quick steps and a throbbing heart. I placed my hand on my chest, still feeling the warmth of his hands around me.

"Calm down! Deep breaths, Elysia, deep breaths," I patted my chest softly and followed Dr. Jennifer's instructions to calm down.

After a couple of minutes of calming down, I finally sat down just as my phone vibrated on the desk. Noticing Sven's caller ID, I couldn't help getting excited. It's been a while since we talked.

"Sven!!" I picked up the call immediately and chirped excitedly.

"Wow! Clumsy head, did you miss me that much?" His deep and amused voice came from the other end.

"Of course, I do! It's been a while since we talked. Have you really been so busy these days that you couldn't talk at all?" I asked casually. He paused for a while.

"You know business matters, beautiful! My father is pushing me to no end," he reasoned out. I pressed my lips together.

"Is he still pressurizing you? Do you need any kind of help? Should I kidnap you?" I asked seriously. A hearty laugh escaped his lips.

"It would be a dream come true to be kidnapped by someone as beautiful and hot as you," he joked, making me giggle.

"Anyways, I didn't just call you to listen to your pretty voice; Dr. Jennifer called me," his voice became serious. I face-palmed myself, realizing his purpose of calling.

"Elysia Dean Lawson! Do you want me to fly back and put you in your senses? You know how important your therapies are, and yet you skipped them, and you aren't even picking up her calls," he reprimanded me seriously.

"I... I know it's important, but..." I stared at my desk, lost in thoughts.

"Elysia! You are the strongest person I have ever known. But you still need to visit Dr. Jennifer; she just wants to help you," he spoke softly this time. I sighed inaudibly. There's no way out, is there?

"I know you're right, Sven! I will visit her," I answered honestly.

"Promise?" He urged.

"I promise, I will, Sven!" I replied and smiled.

"That's my girl! When I return this time, you can kidnap me for a lifetime!" He remarked playfully. I could even imagine his smirk and wink at this moment, making me laugh heartily. His laugh synced with mine.

"How's your work going? You're not overworking again, are you? And how's Aunt Sandra?" He questioned.

I sighed in relief. Thankfully, Dr. Jennifer didn't tell him anything about mom or he would be worried sick.

"I'm not overworking, don't worry! Mom is also good; she missed you though. When will you be back?" I queried.

"I miss her too; in fact, I miss all of you. I would be coming back after resolving the matters here; probably in a couple of months." He informed.

We talked for a while before hanging up since Sven had to return to work. After hanging up, I continued my work until Maron informed me that I could go back home since Ares had already left for who knows what!

I wonder where did Ares go in the afternoon? He never delays his work, no matter what!

Thinking of Ares, I suddenly recalled today's incident in the office. What was I even thinking, wiping his pants?

How can I be so stupid?

Just the thought of it, and I felt hot all over due to embarrassment. I thought nothing more embarrassing could happen after that elevator incident, yet I ended up with this.

"Just what dirty thoughts are running in your mind to make you this flushed?" An amused voice startled me as I jolted in surprise.

"Beastie!" I shrieked, glaring at her. She chuckled and kissed my cheek before ruffling my hair like a kid.

"I couldn't help; you looked cute," she sat beside me on the bed. I rolled my eyes and fixed my hair.

"How come you're back? How's Mom doing?" I asked her since she was staying with mom at the hospital today.

"I came to get some things. Anyways, tell me why were you blushing? I'm sure it's about Ares. He is the only one who can make you blush like that," she wiggled her eyebrows playfully. I smacked her arm, receiving a protesting 'ow'. But of course, she didn't let me go, so I briefed her about everything that has been happening in the office lately. We couldn't talk all week due to our work timings, so there was a lot of things we didn't talk about.

After listening to everything, she was quiet for a while, as if deep in thought. I shifted uncomfortably.

"I think it's odd," she said finally.

"What's odd?" I asked.

"His behavior," she replied, thinking.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"Look! First, he fired you for no reason at all; so unprofessional, completely opposite of his nature. Then, he treated you so coldly yet asked you to work in front of him; again unusual. And today's incident also proved that he is worried about you too. Believe me or not, you're affecting him more than he could handle, that answers his odd behavior." She concluded with a nod.

"Impossible!" I spoke without hesitation.

"Trust me, Ely, I think he has feelings for you. I know how he was like in highschool and college, he doesn't seem like much of a talker but you could see it in his eyes and behavior," she insisted.

"It's not possible. He did not fall for me years ago, then what makes you think that he might have feelings for me now? Besides, he is in love with someone," I stated as I felt a dull, familiar ache in my chest that I got used to for years now. Years ago, I hoped, really hoped that he would notice me, but he didn't. Now, I wouldn't dare raise my hopes up.

"What? Who?" She asked, surprised.

"I don't know, but she is married now, I guess," I told her. She stared at me seriously.

"Come here!" She took my hand and dragged me towards the mirror and stood behind me.

"Do you see that?" She asked.

"See what?" I glanced at her through the mirror.

"You! Do you know how beautiful you are? Not just outside but from inside as well. The man who gets you would be the luckiest man on earth. Don't ever think you're not worthy enough of someone's love. If I were a man, I would steal you away from the world for myself because you are the purest person I have ever met in my life." She circled her arms around me from behind and put her head on my shoulder lovingly.

I smiled back at her and answered, "I would have also fallen for a woman like you," I winked. We both looked at each other and started giggling. She was truly a blessing to me; I wouldn't lose her for the world.

*************

The next day, when I reached the office, Ares was surprisingly absent. Furrowing my eyebrows, I went towards my office.

For the past week, Ares was always early at work. He would be present in his office even before me. Maybe he overslept today.

Quickly starting my work, I made sure to set his office nicely, just as he preferred, and completed the documentations. When it was almost 9 A.M. and he still didn't show up, I got worried.

Why isn't he coming to the office? Is he okay? Is everything alright with him? He went home early yesterday too, and he didn't come today, is he... sick?

When everyone arrived at work, I enquired Mr. Ronald about Ares' absence. "Oh, sir isn't coming until noon today. He would come for the afternoon meeting," He informed.

"Is he alright? He never misses work," I asked hesitantly.

He nodded reassuringly, "he seemed fine on the phone, don't worry. He may have some other matters to attend to."

I nodded and resumed my work, thinking about Ares the whole time. Even though Mr. Ronald assured everything was okay, I was still worried about Ares. I felt like something was wrong, and I couldn't shake off that feeling until noon.

When it was time for the meeting, I walked inside the conference room as other employees entered alongside me. We all took our places, getting ready for the presentation.

I sat across the main head seat, beside Mr. Ronald, while he sat just across Ares' seat as we all waited for Ares.

At the exact moment, the door of the conference room opened, and Ares entered with a dangerously serious and grim face. The temperature of the hall dropped to freezing point. The second his eyes met mine, I felt a shiver run down my spine.

He stopped for a mere second before continuing sauntering towards his seat, completely ignoring my existence.

I felt a sudden stab at my heart, observing his face while we progressed with the meeting. He did not even spare me another glance and asked everything from Mr. Ronald, even the things that were my part. When Ares took the file from him, I noticed his hand.

His knuckles were busted, and dry blood was still visible around it. My eyes widened; what happened to him? It must be hurting him. I wanted to check his hand and see if he was seriously hurt, but I couldn't muster up the courage.

Instead, I nervously started fidgeting with my clothes and bit my lips, staring at the table in front of me. I was so occupied with my thoughts that I didn't even notice the silence that fell upon the hall. I only came to my senses when Mr. Ronald nudged me. I glanced at him dumbfounded as I felt everyone's stares at me and one particular glare that could bury me in the ground at this moment.

"Sir is asking what did Mr. Jonah conclude on our given offer? You talked to him a while ago," he whispered to me.

"O-oh, h-he said he wouldn't a-agree on 12% ROI, raise up to at least 20%," I stuttered, and my body shivered under his scrutinizing sharp gaze.

"What did you say?" Ares asked frostily.

"I- I a-agreed to discuss the matter in the n-next meeting," I gulped and lowered my gaze.

"They asked, and you just agreed? Are you even aware of our past terms and conditions, Miss Lawson? Even 15% was more for them, and yet you agreed to 20%? Are you even in your senses? If you didn't know how to handle the clients, why did you even take this job?" His voice was sharp and menacing, making me tremble all over.

"I... I," I wanted to say I did my research before agreeing, and I didn't agree directly. I just created an opportunity so we could negotiate in the next meeting, yet the words didn't come out.

"Out!" I looked at him, dumbfounded.

"Out, Elysia Lawson!" His loud voice boomed in the conference hall.

I stood up and dashed out of the conference room, almost stumbling at the door. Successfully leaving the room, I rushed towards my office and sat down in my seat as tears fell down from my eyes.

How could he treat me like this?

I didn't even do anything to him. I wiped my tears angrily as they kept falling without restraint. My office door opened with a loud sound suddenly, jolting me in fright as Ares entered.

I quickly looked downward to hide my tears from him. "Where is Jonah's file?" He asked coldly. I quickly turned around and looked through the files on my desk trying to find the file. Grabbing the right one, I handed him the file in panic.

He opened the file and closed it, "I'm asking for the past file with previous terms and conditions. Can you do at least one thing right?" He said sternly and threw the file on the desk forcefully with a loud bang.

Instinctively, my body trembled as I stumbled backward; my back colliding with the wall. A mix of fear and confusion consumed me.

I stared into space blankly as Ares' figure disappeared from in front of me, and darkness appeared, engulfing me.

I couldn't see anything except darkness; it's pitch black here, no one, no sound, nothing.

"Elysia!" A female voice called my name, and the sound of sharp heels clicking on the floor cut through the eerie silence of the darkness.

"No!" I covered my ears with my hands, trying to block out the haunting noises that surrounded me. I slid down curling up into myself, bringing my knees close to my chest.

"Elysia, you disobeyed me! You know what happens when you disobey me, don't you?" The voice spoke calmly, her emotionless tone sent shivers down my spine. as her figure appeared in front of me, holding a lighter.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! It's my fault, I'm sorry. I won't do it again." I shook my head vigorously and pleaded desperately. My heart pounding in my chest, watching her approach me slowly. Terrified with her calm demeanor, my tears rolled down silently.

"Bad children like you needs to be punished. You would learn how to obey," she pressed the lighter's button as fire ignited from it. I gasped in terror as she eyed the plastic bottle in her other hand.

"NO!!! I'm sorry, I won't do it again, please, I'm sorry, mother," I whimpered, my voice shaking with fear. She smiled at me sickly and stepped forward, kneeling before me.

***************

Hey, my beautiful and lovely readers! Please give me your feedback on the story so far?

Who's POVs are you enjoying more? Elysia or Ares?

If you are enjoying the story, please don't forget to Vote, Comment and Share. 😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

647 21 20
Avalon Apollo always wanted to pursue a career in the art industry; however, bad habits and free range was always her downfall. Attending her first y...
10.8K 526 54
Book 2 in a three-part series. It's been five years since Sydney Graves left Westville behind after Brooks crushed her heart and the future they had...
15.1K 2.3K 48
❝ I love to hate you; because if I don't, then I will hate to love you. ❞ (PLEASE note that this was my first work and is unedited. I've greatly matu...
333K 12.4K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...