max ziegler | dance moms

By luvspeaknow

maxine grace ziegler is the younger sister of maddie and mackenzie. she's a fabulous little dancer, but can s... More

❤︎︎
The Competition Begins!
Wildly Inappropriate
Cheerleader Blues
Stealing the Show
When Stars Collide
Dying to Dance
She's a Fighter
Love on the Dance Floor
From Ballerinas to Showgirls
Cathy Brings It On!
It All Ends Here
There's Only One Star
Everyone's Replaceable
Return of the Candy Apples
No One Likes a Bully
Brooke's Back
Jill on the Rampage
Bullets and Ballet
The Runaway Mom
Miami Heat Wave
Melissa Pleads the 5th
Waiting for Joffrey

Brooke's Turning Point

211 5 7
By luvspeaknow

We safely made it back to Pittsburgh, and I was actually excited and ready to dance. Is the world ending?

School was shit.

My new favorite word.

Shit.

"Girls, come on! Let's go!" Miss Abby shouted, summoning us into the studio. "Let's have a big round of applause."

We did as told, clapping.

"I think we made applesauce, don't you?" Miss Abby asked, and we laughed. "Now, the group won. They won the overall. But you know what? That was one competition. For this week, we ate going to Starbound, in New Jersey. When we walk into Starbound, you need to be those national champions. Alright."

Miss Abby then turned her attention to the pyramid, pulling off the first paper.

𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚

𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚  𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚

𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚  𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚 𝙆𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙡  𝙉𝙞𝙖  𝙈𝙖𝙭

"On the bottom...Max. You made lots of mistakes in the group dance. We took out the ariel, yet you still did it. Why?" Miss Abby asked, and I kinda froze.

"I think it is because I forgot not to do it," I responded, nervous as heck.

"Okay. You can't do that. I change the choreography, you do as told. Got it? No more forgetting. And, your feet were sickled for over half of the routine. Do better," Miss Abby spoke, and I nodded.

Don't cry don't cry don't cry don't cry.

"Nia. You're here simply because of a mistake in the choreography. And that dance is easy. It's simple. Next I have...Kendall. You need to learn to read music, and you need to learn to hear the music. I'm going to keep her on probation. Until I hand her that jacket, she's still proving herself," Miss Abby told Jill. "Paige. I've seen you do the press better. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. I thought you did a nice job. Next...Mackenzie. This week, you are not in the group. You are going to do a solo. Alright. Next, I have...Maddie. You were the highest-scoring number in the entire competition. Why do you think you're not on the top? I want you to stop resting on your laurels. I want you to keep improving for the next 20 years. Not for one competition. Do you understand? So, you impressed them. I want you to impress me. Next..I have Chloe. Chloe, you didn't do a solo last week. You were great in the group, people were recognizing you from the video, but I want them to recognize you for your dancing. Understood? And on top of the pyramid this week...is Brooke. You went out there, you proved yourself. I mean, you went from worst to best. In one week. You're the oldest person in this group. You need to be the role model. And that needs to continue."

I was getting bored. Too much talking for me.

"Mackenzie, you're doing a routine called 'My Parade.' And it's all about you, kiddo. You're gonna march out from that corner like you're the leader of the big parade," Miss Abby explained, and Kenzie smiled. "Maddie, this week you're going to be doing a jazz routine to 'Lights, Camera, Action.' Chloe, you're going to be doing a lyrical routine to 'Don't Catch Me.'"

"Chloe's so happy she's having a lyrical solo," Maddie said to the moms, smiling. Some of them laughed.

"Now, the group dance that everybody's in except Mackenzie, is 'Born to Dance.' And it's about a child being born. There's a little mystery to it..." she trailed off as Christi made a weird face.

I raised my hand, since I had something very important to say.

"Yes, Max?"

"How are babies made?"

Speechless. I heard Paige snort from beside me, and Chloe shook her head.

"Uh..." Miss Abby trailed off. I just looked at her, waiting for an answer.

"Max!" Mommy exclaimed, and I looked over at the moms. Christi and Kelly were trying not to laugh. "We'll save that conversation for when you're older, okay?"

"Okay," I shrugged. Paige give me a high-five.

"Nice one."

"Brooke, you're going to be featured in this number, but you should be the glue that's holding it together. And Maddie has been the glue that's holding it together. You need to be the most advanced one in the group, not looking around to see what these two are doing. Understood? Brooke...don't let me down. Moms, please go. Girls, stretch out. Let's go," Miss Abby finished, and we went to start stretching.

We started learning the group routine, and I liked it. It was different.

"That's what I want to see. Smile! Brooke, back up!" Miss Abby shouted. "Go onto your stomach. One...two..."

Brooke was crawling on the ground, and she looked like a worm.

"Five, six, seven, go. Now. You need to plié, Chloe. You do. Sauté and sauté and run, run, temps levé, grand-jeté shoo..ba-ah," Miss Abby instructed Maddie. "Up, up...roll, Brooke. Plié, plié, lock the back of your knee, Brooke. It's bent. One, two, three, four. Where are your feet? Look at your feet, Brooke. Ball change, plié. The lower you plié...and get your butt underneath you, Brooke. And one, double plié two..."

Poor Brooke. Miss Abby is being very hard on her.

After rehearsal today, Brooke told us she was going to watch a football game at her school. How fun.

What if I tried playing football. I'd smash everyone to the ground. Is that allowed? Or would I get, like, kicked out?

I think I'll stick to dance. I don't wanna get a concussion and fourteen broken bones. No thanks.

"Can I get some fucking Cheerio's?" I asked once we all got in the car.

"You were doing so well. You haven't swore in months," Mommy stated, and I shrugged.

"A boy says it."

"A boy?"

"Yeah."

"Max, you seriously have to stop swearing. I mean it. Where are you learning these words from?" Mommy questioned, looking back at me.

"The fucking TV," I told her, and Maddie laughed.

"Don't laugh," Mommy scolded her. "If you swear one more time, I'm taking away your iPad. For a week."

"Well shit. That fucking sucks," I smirked, and she reached back and took my iPad.

"Hey!"

"Tell me what show you're learning this from," Mommy said.

"South Park. It's funny," I replied, and she sighed.

"Of course, South Park. It's nowhere near appropriate for you, Max. You can't watch that. Look what it's teaching you," Mommy spoke.

"Shit."

"That's it. No iPad for a month," Mommy told me, and I gasped.

"Ooh," Maddie smirked. Mommy told her to stop.

"If you don't stop this little swearing phase you're in right now, I'm taking away all of your Barbie's. And selling them. And no iPad for two months," Mommy stated.

"No! Not the Barbie's!" I exclaimed.

"Stop swearing and I won't touch them," Mommy stated, and I slapped my hand over my mouth.

I didn't say another word for the rest of the night. If I opened my mouth, I was afraid I would say a bad word and lose my Barbie's.

•Three days to competition•

I refused to remove my hand from my mouth. I was not going to lose my Barbie's.

My teacher made me speak, which I didn't appreciate. If I swore in school, she'd call Mommy and then bye bye Barbie's.

"What are you doing? Why is your hand covering your mouth?" Paige asked the second we entered  the den. I didn't say anything. "Hello? Max?"

"She's afraid she'll swear if she talks, and Mom said she'll sell all of her Barbie's if she swears again," Maddie explained, and I nodded.

"Ohh. Anything for the Barbie's," Paige joked, and I nodded again.

Yes. Anything for the Barbie's.

"Mackenzie, time for your solo rehearsal. Let's go," Miss Abby spoke.

"See you later," Kenzie said, and I waved before she left with Miss Abby.

About an hour later, I had a jazz class. My hand was still securely attached to my mouth.

"Max, what are you doing?" Kayla asked the second I entered.

"Take your hand off," Josie instructed. I shook my head.

"You're a weird kid," Jack stated, and I nodded.

"Oh, Max, seriously? Get your hand off of your mouth. Who knows where it's been," the teacher said, and I obliged.

"Tell us later," Kylie mouthed, and I nodded.

-

After class, we met up in one of the dressing rooms.

"What was that about?" Kayla asked once we were all there.

"I have been saying bad words a lot and Mommy said that if I swear again she will sell my Barbie's," I explained, immediately returning my hand back to my mouth.

"Is it working?" Stella questioned, and I nodded.

"Shit," Josie blurted, and we laughed.

•Two days to competition•

"How long are you gonna keep your hand there?" Nia asked me. We were all chilling in the den while Maddie had her solo rehearsal.

I shrugged in response.

"I hope it's soon. It's boring when she doesn't talk," Kenzie insisted.

"I want my Barbie's. And I have talked," I said. I gasped, immediately putting my hand back.

"How do you burp?" Paige questioned, and we all gave her a weird look. "I'm serious. Do you just leave your hand there?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, since I don't really burp that much.

"I would assume she just burps through her hand," Nia suggested.

"Or maybe she doesn't burp at all," Kendall added.

"I think we should stop talking about burps," Chloe said, and they all agreed.

"Chloe, let's go. You have a solo rehearsal," Gia said, peeking her head into the den. She left, and I grabbed my water bottle from my bag.

I quickly removed my hand to drink and immediately put it back when I was done. The girls laughed.

"Should we just glue your hand to your face?" Nia asked, and I shook my head.

"That would be funny," Paige laughed.

-

A few hours later, Miss Abby called all of us in for a group rehearsal. It was dark out.

I had to remove my hand for rehearsal, but I was starting to think I would be okay without it.

"Tomorrow we're leaving for competition. We have 45 minutes to work on this dance, and that's it. And you will be onstage. Understood?" Miss Abby asked, and we nodded. "Alright. Let's go."

The music started, and we began dancing. This routine was definitely different from the others.

"Head up. Kendall, you're right behind Chloe. You should be beyond her. Stop!" Miss Abby exclaimed, and we stopped dancing. "Where's Brooke?"

None of us said anything, we just looked at each other.

We resumed dancing, but I think Miss Abby was still questioning why Brooke was absent.

"Hold! Maddie! Turn the leg out! What is wrong with you?" Miss Abby screamed. "Brooke! Brooke! Brooke!"

We ran the number again. I knew Maddie was upset about Miss Abby yelling at her like that.

"Let me go find out where Brooke is. I'm gonna chew her mother out," Miss Abby stated, leaving the studio.

She came back in shortly after, followed by Kelly.

"Where is Brooke?" Miss Abby asked her.

"Well, that's what I want to talk to you about," Kelly started. "I don't think she's coming this weekend."

My eyes went wide. I didn't know this.

"We had a long discussion, and there's something that came up at school that she wants to do, and I'm gonna allow her to do it," Kelly explained.

"So she's out?" Miss Abby questioned, and Kelly nodded. "You're making a decision for me and for everybody in this group. You're letting a 13 year old kid dictate my future and their future."

Is Brooke quitting the team?

"But I'm letting my 13 year old dictate her future," Kelly insisted.

"She knew when she was at the top of that pyramid. And this is where it's bad parenting, Kelly. She should've opened her mouth and said, 'Abby, let somebody else be at the top of the pyramid this week.' That is a mature 13 year old! Not screwing everybody and stabbing them in the back!" Miss Abby yelled.

"But I don't think she's screwing any of them," Kelly stated.

"She's screwing me, I can feel it!" Miss Abby shouted before turning to us. "You're gonna do your solo, you're gonna do your solo. You're staying home, staying home, staying home, staying home. That's it. You're dismissed, you're dismissed, you're dismissed, you're dismissed, run the solo, run the solo. Get the Senior Company in here. Let's go. Thank you, Kelly."

We all left the studio and went to the den while the moms went to go chat with Miss Abby.

"Can you believe we're seriously not dancing?" Paige asked, packing up her bag. "But I do feel bad for Brooke, that she had to make this decision."

"This whole thing is Miss Abby's fault. We can still do the dance," Nia insisted.

"At least you guys have your solo's," Kendall said to Maddie and Chloe.

"I wish you guys were coming, and we could still do the group number," Chloe stated, and Maddie nodded.

"Too bad we can't leave this one here," Maddie said, putting her hand on my head. "Your hand isn't on your mouth anymore."

"I know. I am done swearing," I insisted. "I don't want to go and not dance. I want to go and dance."

•One day to competition•

Turns out we are doing the group number, just not under Miss Abby's name. I guess the moms did a good job talking to her.

We had to wake up super early today, since Gia gave us an extra 4 hour rehearsal before we left.

"In, out. Relevé, leg, high," Gia said to Kendall.

"Thank you, Gia," we all said when rehearsal was over.

"You're welcome," she said, and we all hugged her.

We put on our regular clothes and went outside to board the bus and reunite with the moms.

"Hey, girls! How was rehearsal? Gianna leading the troops," Holly spoke as we all went on the bus.

Miss Abby wasn't there, so it was just us and the moms. And Gia.

I sat in my usual seat next to Chloe, feeling very drained from the earlier rehearsal.

"Move that bus! Move that bus!" we all shouted, and the moms started crawling under us. Our legs were up on the seats, leaving a gap for the moms to go through down the isle.

While we were messing around, an unexpected visitor showed up at the studio.

"Abby's here!"

"No way."

"Abby's here!"

We all quickly went back to our seats as she made her way to the bus.

"Pretend you're sleeping!"

"Why is she here?" Christi asked, very disappointed. "Oh, you just ruined my weekend."

"Hello, everybody," Miss Abby greeted. "I have decided to do, because you have no idea what it's going to be like in New Jersey, number one. Kelly's not here? You really know when a person's important at your house, don't you?"

We started driving to New Jersey, the mood officially ruined.

"Bus driver Jim!"

"Are we there yet?" Jill asked with a laugh.

A few hours into the drive, I was bored out of my mind. I watched a bunch of episodes of Bubble Guppies, and a few Barbie movies. I wanted pizza. And a lizard.

I was currently playing Candy Crush on Mommy's phone. It's hard.

"Do you ever want a lizard?" I asked Chloe, who was currently reading. She looked up from her book to answer my question.

"No, I've never wanted a lizard. Have you?" she questioned.

"Yes. But I don't really want one. I'm just pretending," I told her, and she nodded in understanding. "Is that a good book?"

"Yeah. I'm almost done with it," she stated, showing me that she only had a few chapters left.

"Cool," I said as Mommy's phone started to ring. "Mommy! Someone's calling you!"

"Who is it?" she asked, looking back at me. I looked at the contact name.

"Cathy!" I shouted. I walked over to her, reaching over Jill to hand her the phone.

"Do not give her any information. Why is she calling you?" Miss Abby asked as she answered the phone. I went back to my seat. "That is so unethical."

Kenzie was so obviously eavesdropping, she had her head in between the seats. It was kinda funny.

Apparently, the Candy Apple's are also competing in New Jersey. Against us.

"I'm telling you one thing. That Candy Apple lady- I don't care what she does. She better not beat you. 'Cause you think I'm mad at Brooke now? Just wait. If that woman wins, Brooke's hide will be hanging on the top of that balcony in that studio," Miss Abby told us.

•Competition day•

We arrived at the competition bright and early, and I was very tired.

We grabbed our bags and entered the competition. I only had to carry my Barbie purse.

"Ready to do some dancing?" the man who checked us in asked, and we nodded.

There were some cool shirts for sale, and one of them had "Dance Moms" on it!

As soon as we got to the dressing room, everyone started getting ready.

"Alright, girls, remember, this is Starbound. You are their National winners. You can't be any less than that. Do you understand?" Miss Abby asked.

"Yes," we all replied.

"Remember, Brooke never existed. They have no idea we're missing a dancer. We cannot and will not have little mistakes like that. You cannot afford it this weekend. Does everyone understand?" Miss Abby questioned as Maddie started doing my hair.

"I'm not gonna start anything with Cathy, but certainly, if Cathy starts with me, I'm not backing down from Cathy," Christi stated.

"I just don't appreciate all the low blows she did with Mackenzie and Max," Mommy added.

"Well, she did low blows with Chloe. She's a low-blower. Like, if-if.." Christi trailed off.

"She's a low-blower!" Mommy exclaimed, and Jill laughed.

"She is a low-blower," Christi said.

"Is Mackenzie ready?" the director asked, entering our dressing room.

"Yes, Mackenzie's ready," Miss Abby stated, giving her a high-five. "Straight legs, pointed feet, shoulders down. If you forget, stay backstage. Don't come out. 'Cause I'm gonna chop your head off. Go."

I gave her a quick hug before she left, and Maddie sprayed my hair.

"You got it in my face," I stated, rubbing my eyes.

"Sorry. This stuff really gets everywhere," she told me.

Maddie and I went backstage to watch Kenzie. And she also had her solo. 

"I wanna watch her," Maddie said to the director.

"Who's gonna take my boots?" Kenzie asked, looking at the camera.

She took off her bright pink boots and handed them to me as she started quickly going over it.

"Smile, okay?" Maddie instructed Kenzie.

"Okay!" she nervously exclaimed.

"Don't fall off the stage," I instructed, and she gave me a nervous look.

"Have fun," Maddie added.

"Joining us now on the stage, from ages seven and eight, number 321," the announcer said, and the music started playing.

She was so awesome, she killed it.

"Good job Kenzie!" I exclaimed, giving her a hug.

Chloe's solo was coming up, so I stayed backstage with her. Kenzie went into the audience I think.

"Next up is number 322, 'Don't Catch Me.'" she took the stage.

She did so good, it was beautiful.

"Good job Chloe," I said, giving her a hug when she got off the stage.

Maddie's solo was coming up, and Gia was giving her a little pep talk.

There was a little lipstick on her cheek, so Kenzie tried rubbing it off. It didn't work.

When I tried to get it off, it just went further up her face. Chloe licked her hand and rubbed it on her cheek. It was still a little smudged, but it looked fine.

"Jazz, ages nine to ten, number 324. 'Lights, Camera, Action.'" she went onto the stage, and the music started.

She was so sassy, I loved it!

We went back to the dressing room, but Maddie didn't seem happy about her performance. I thought she did great.

Justice, one of the Candy Apples, had an unaired solo as well. He was pretty good.

Awards were soon after, and I was nervous for all of them.

"Listen up, Junior Petite soloists today. The top junior petite soloist: it's going to 321 'Bigger Isn't Better.' It's Mackenzie from Abby Lee Dance," the announcer said, and she went up to get her award. Maddie gave her the award. "You excited?"

"Yeah," she replied into the mic.

When she sat back down, we all gave her a big hug.

"Top ten junior soloists. Third place...324 'Lights, Camera, Action.' Maddie from Abby Lee. Second place junior soloist. 'If You Believe,' it's Eunice from Dancers in Motion! And our top soloist...it's Chloe from Abby Lee Dance," the announcer said, and I was thrilled. Chloe won! "How do you feel about that score?"

"Awesome," she answered, smiling.

"Take a bow for your audience," the announcer instructed, and they did so.

We went back to the dressing room to get ready for the group dance, and I was excited. I love the costume.

Mommy put my hair into a slicked back messy bun, and I loved it.

"Girls. Come here," Miss Abby said once we were all ready. "Now, listen to me. I wasn't even gonna come because I was so aggravated with this routine. Not only do you have to prove Brooke wrong that she's worthless and doesn't mean anything. Everyone's replaceable. The way I choreographed the routine, is the way it should have been competed. We all make choices. And we have to live with those choices. So let's go. Thank you."

"Okay, so as soon as you're ready, you can head backstage and warmup backstage. Alrighty?" the director asked, entering our dressing room.

"Okay. Just stay clean," Miss Abby said as we left the dressing room and walked down the hall.

"You guys did good," one of the Candy Apples said to the soloists.

The Candy Apples were before us, so we watched them from the wings.

"Next up number 460, 'Mermaids.'"

"Ariel!" I whisper-shouted to the girls.

They were pretty good. I liked their costumes.

"320, 'Born to Dance.'"

The music started, and it was go time.

What would you do

If I told you

I just knew

That somehow you've changed me

In some special way?

Would you say

I was silly?

A sentimental fool?

Or would you say

I was hoping and praying for someone like you?

I guess that's just something

Something that I'll never know

The music ended, and we left the stage. I was very happy with how we did.

A little while later, we were back on the stage for awards.

"Check this out. Junior groups. 8th place, with a score of 279: it's the 'Mermaids,' Candy Apples Dance!" the announcer exclaimed, and one of them went up to get the award. "Top overall junior group...'Born to Dance,' Abby Lee Dance Company."

We all stood up and started cheering and hugging each other.

"Make some noise!" the announcer shouted at the audience. "Tell everybody what studio you're from."

"Abby Lee Dance Company!"

"There it is, your top junior overall group. Take one more bow for your audience. Thank you very much, ladies."

As soon as we got back to the dressing room, we started cheering.

"Woohoo!" Miss Abby exclaimed, entering the room. "Cathy was sitting right behind me. She did not know what to do."

"Abby, did she congratulate you?" Jill asked.

"She never said congratulations to me, so as a sign of good sportsmanship, come on. We're gonna go tell her that her kids did a great job," Miss Abby said, and we all made our way to their dressing room. Including the moms. "Alright. We just wanted to tell you all congratulations. I thought you did a great job. I don't know what happened. But, anyway, do you have my bee costume?"

"You mean...hold on. The ugly bee costume that Vivi wore?" Cathy questioned.

"Yes. It was her first solo..."

"I gave it to Goodwill," Cathy said.

"That was $300," Mommy stated.

"Bill me," Cathy said.

"It's a memory! It's irreplaceable!" Christi added.

"Listen, Disco Ball. I'm not talking to you today. This is between Abby and I, so pipe down," Cathy said to Christi. "By the way, Christi, Whoville called, and they want your nose back."

"Oh, my God, Cathy. Listen. When you have a better insult-"

"I'm not...I'm not listening to you anymore."

Christi walked over to her, getting all up in her face.

"Please get out of my face," Cathy requested.

"Oh, no, I'll get right in your face," Christi stated, waving a finger around. "Bring it, bitch."

"You know something? That's wonderful, that you talk like that in front of your kids, but we don't talk like that in front of ours, do we, moms?" Cathy asked.

"Well, you know what, Cathy?" Christi questioned.

"Move along. The dog pound is calling," Cathy said, trying to push her out.

"Oh, my God. Do not put your hands on me," Christi said.

"Get out of my face!" Cathy exclaimed as we turned to leave. Christi stayed behind a little longer.

We packed up our stuff and boarded the bus, tired from the days events. I know I was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.5K 1K 63
Melody Raine Ziegler, Maddie and Mackenzie's little sister. The youngest daughter of the divorced Kurt and Melissa. Melody loved dance, it was her sa...
19.7K 306 12
Nini is one of Abby's most prized students. She's hardworking, determined, and she wins. What more could Abby want from a student? What happens when...
11.7K 211 37
Claire is a dancer at the Aldc. When abby starts a reality show she invites Claire to be on her competition team. Claire is known to be a very dedic...
18.9K 458 58
Maya Mel Ziegler born 30 September 2002, has been dancing with Abby since she was four years old and her and her twin sister Maddie always fights for...