𝗛𝗶𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗛𝗮𝗹𝗳...

By lov4mil

Zuko X Reader Being friends with Zuko as a child never brought a problem for the girl- in fact it was what br... More

Chapter 1: The Past
Chapter 2: A Duel
Chapter 3: The Commander
Chapter 4: Kyoshi Island
Chapter 5: The Storm
Chapter 6: Happy Couple
Chapter 7: The North
Chapter 9: Argumentative
Chapter 10: Almost Alone
Chapter 11: Refugee

Chapter 8: Azula Lies

174 7 17
By lov4mil

POV change. It will now be second person instead of third!

The two weeks straight at sea was horrible. It was hot, bright, and you, Iroh, and Zuko had no food or water the entire time. Plus, there was this awkward tension between you and Zuko. After their kiss, it was never brought up- even though it was all you could think about every time you looked at Zuko. He was acting so.. Cold. He only spoke of his annoyance the entire time you were at sea, feeling that since he's a prince he deserved the best water and food, not to be starved. You would listen to his useless banter but would never respond, but instead stare into the water and let your hand glide over the waves. You wished right now you were a water bender instead of a fire bender. Firebending never physically helped someone except for warmth, but even then you can make your own fire without fire bending. Fire's main goal was to grow and destroy, cause pain and heat. Yes it represented life and is based off passion and emotions, yet look what was being done with it.

Miraculously the three of you were able to land onto an island that Iroh some how steered to without an actual ship or map. His excuse was because he spent so much time out at sea it was easy to naturally guide your way to the place you were meant to be, but both You and Zuko thought you were lucky. You, of course, thanked the spirit or spirits that lead their way safely to the island and kept them alive, even without food and water.

At this time, Iroh was getting a massage by two masseurs, groaning in comfortability. You had skipped out on the massage to sit next to Zuko, wanting to some how start a conversation with him that wouldn't be awkward. You leaned against the wall nervously, nibbling across your bottom lip. You played with the ruby ring against your finger, spinning in slowly. You had made sure to grab it before you left Zhao's ship; it made you feel safe with the idea of Zuko so close. You looked over Zuko's shoulder to his left hand, smiling to yourself when you noticed the black ring still on his finger. He hadn't even considered taking it off. You let out a small 'ahem' as you scooted closer to Zuko, shoulder bumping against his.

"Hey." You whispered, Zuko raising his head slowly and moved his eyes to the you before back down again in a scowl.

"I know what you're going to talk about. That kiss didn't mean anything. I only did it because you were crying like a girl." Zuko spoke, tongue with venom. You were silent for a moment before leaning back against the wall, pulling your knees to her chest.

"You act like we didn't kiss before that-"

"My emotions bested me." He interrupted, you letting out a scoff and added,

"And so what if I act like a girl? I am a girl!... And it meant something to me." You huffed, fingers gripping against your pants legs.

"Then don't let it." Zuko breathed out, sounding careless towards you, looking towards the bushes that littered with flowers. Zuko looked down to the ring on his left hand, clenching his jaw tightly as he looked to the floor once more.

"Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?" Iroh hummed, soon raising from the table and walked over to the two of you, sitting down comfortably.

"I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" Iroh asked. You widened your eyes and raised your head. You had lost track of the days and time that you didn't even notice today was the day both you and Zuko were banished from the Fire Nation. The day your father betrayed you and let you be sent away because of his own mistakes.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless." Zuko spoke with anger, looking up to his uncle now. You had lost respect for your father long ago while all Zuko wanted was his fathers approval. You couldn't imagine being in a place where his father meant literally everything to him.

"I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh said, making hand motions. You shook your head and covered your face with your hand from Iroh's accidental insensitive words. Zuko got up quickly and walked away, kicking dust as he did.

"Erg... that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh asked, you nodding your head. You got up as well and sighed.

"I'll go talk to him. Thank you for trying though.. He's just sensitive." You rubbed the back of your neck as Iroh hummed.

"My girl, You've always had a way with calming prince Zuko down. He gets so infuriated at little things.. I can only hope he finds his way." You smiled to Iroh's words before following after Zuko's steps.

You slowed your steps as you looked to Zuko, the teen leaning against the fence of the mountain and staring into the waters. You noticed the smoke leaving his palms, hands clenching into fist to stop from accidentally fire bending. You came closer to Zuko and placed your hand against his arm, Zuko flinching and looked down at you angrily. He let out a huff when he noticed it was just you, shoving your hand off of him.

"What do you want?" Zuko asked, eyebrows furrowed. His eyes looked down to the ground, hands now gripping the fence instead. You shrugged your shoulders and leaned against the fence next to him, nibbling onto your bottom lip.

"Iroh didn't mean to say it like that earlier. He was just trying to make you feel-" You started, Zuko interrupting you quickly.

"I don't care how he tried to make me feel, he told me my father banishing me was him caring. I know my father doesn't care about me." Zuko breathed out, eyes closing.

"I know Zuko.. He didn't mean to. I understand-" Zuko interrupted you once more,

"No you wouldn't! My father banished-" Zuko opened his eyes and looked down to you, you pushing at his chest roughly, causing Zuko to stumble back a bit.

"I don't understand Zuko? You act like my father cares about me! He got me banished because he didn't want to deal with his own consequences-" You yelled, pushing roughly at his chest with hot hands from your anger. Zuko grunted, wearing a provoked look on his face. He opened his mouth to defend his point, but you spoke much quicker before him, "then he tried to marry me off to some old admiral! And don't talk about your father punishing only you, because he punished me too." You yelled at him, hitting once more at his chest. Zuko grabbed your wrist and was still with you for a moment. He twisted it and pushed you away, making you hiss and hold at your wrist.

"And did he leave you a scar on your face to prove how much he hates you?" he asked lowly, pointing to his eye. "now everywhere I look I'm considered a freak- a victim. Not a prince. Go complain about your problems to someone who cares." he spoke coldly, your heart growing so tight it felt like it was about to pop. Though Zuko could be mean, he had never been so cold with you before. You opened your mouth to speak but nothing came out, so instead you closed it.

——

The three of you soon found residence in a small cabin by the spa, closer to the beach. Iroh loved it of course, since he was collecting shells. You loved it because you loved the sun and feeling the heat and energy that came from it. Zuko was... Zuko. He was growing worse, thoughts swarming his mind. He failed capturing the Avatar when he had a chance. A third time. You decided to leave him alone rather than pull on his tail to get him to speak to you. He would stoop lower to hurt you next time and you knew that. He held anger in his heart and had no where else to reflect it except onto you and his uncle.

You spent the night there, glad you had a floor to sleep on rather than a moving boat that sometimes was so close to tipping over you were sure you were going to drown. Zuko slept far away from you and Iroh, though you were sure he wasn't sleeping at all. you could hear him breathing lightly, tussling in the night and grunting in frustration. Either he wasn't used to the floor, or he was in thought. He had a lot to think about after all. It's not like you were sleeping any better, even though you could hide it better than he could.

The moon was still out as you slowly raised yourself up. You took in and out a slow breath, smelling the remanence of jasmine tea that Iroh had cooked hours earlier. It stuck to the walls like paint, but you were thankful for that aroma. It was homey. It reminded you of your dad before. You flattened your lips as your eyes stung, your arm immediately raising to wipe away any wetness that may slip. Lonely nights made you think about your dad and how he had loved you before he got you banished. You rolled your eyes in annoyance at your own thoughts before standing from the floor. You wiped off your salmon red robe before taking gentle steps out of the cabin. You decided the beach was a good place to sit and think.

Your toes sunk in the sand as you walked slowly, the wind blowing through your relaxed hair. You took in a breath of the salty waves, eventually stopping close to the water. The water road up against your toes, making you smile in content. You could stay right where you were forever and you would be happy. The waves, the moon— err, Yue, your feet sinking in the sand, the wind blowing cool air against your skin. You were upset you had to ditch your fire nation clothes, but they were destroyed by weeks on the sea and the battle at the northern water tribe. So now you were stuck with this robe and wrappings underneath to protect your body.

You wondered how your father was doing- not like you cared or anything. You were just curious if he was happy. Was he happy with the choices he made and was he living the life that he wants? Maybe he already had a new family with new children. It would make since with how quickly he wanted to give you away to Zhao. Even if you saw your father you wouldn't want to patch things up, and you were a forgiving person. You wished he could feel what you felt when he got you banished for his own actions. If he hadn't contacted your banished relatives that were in Ba Sing Se than none of this would have happened in the first place. You wished your father made right decisions rather than wrong ones.

You were so lost in thought that you didn't hear the foot steps coming behind you. Every time you thought about your father you wore a furrowed brow and eyes that stared harshly on the floor. A presence soon stood next to you, standing over you. It was Zuko. He always made sure to keep space between the two of you, whether that was mentally or physically.

"You're thinking about him again, aren't you?" He asked staring at the waves now himself. You were quiet and chose to nod. Zuko was silent still, as if he wasn't sure what to say. How could he? Your father chose to sacrifice you for his own vanity while Zuko's father banished him for his own validity. None of this was fair.

"You're my family, you know." You broke the silence, Zuko's eyes moving to you for a moment before back to the water.

"We're not blood related-"

"You know what I was saying.." you interrupted softly, Zuko quiet once more.

"You and Iroh are all I have left. So it hurts when you're angry at me.." you explained, Zuko growing tense.

"I'm not angry.. at you." he mumbled, eyes moving down to the sand now, a small scoff escaping your lips. He noticed this, head raising.

"Sure." You scoffed, Zuko's lips pressing tightly together.

"You don't scoff at a prince."

"And you aren't supposed to talk to banished girls like me."

"We're both banished. My father, three years ago today left me to the world to find the Avatar on purpose so I would never come home.. And now I've found him and failed to capture him three times. I'm a failure." He spoke, a boiling feeling rising in your stomach. You were still mad from what he had said to you on the bridge earlier.

"Maybe you should go back inside and 'complain about your problems to someone who cares', hm?" You spoke quickly, Zuko being blind sided by your words.

"I was just trying to be nice." He barked, turning away quickly. As soon as he did you regretted what you said. You were always the one making things up though, even when it was his fault! You wanted to be the immature one for once. Everything in you wanted to crawl back to him, have his validation, have him appreciate what you do for him. It felt like someone punched you in the gut. Tears began to build up in your eyes before a noise escaped your lips, your hand lifting up to cover your mouth. Zuko looked back at you, immediately pausing in his steps as he heard your whine. He took in a sharp breath, teeth clenching tightly before turning back around to walk to bed. You wiped roughly at your eyes, now frustrated with not only yourself, but Zuko.

You got yourself together quickly and walked after Zuko, roughly bumping your shoulder into his as you passed him. "Watch where you're going!" He yelled, your steps not stopping. Zuko came closer, yanking your shoulder roughly. You struggled against him as he kept a firm hold on your shoulder, your other arm hitting at his chest.

"Now you know how it feels to be me." You huffed, eyes refusing to meet his own. Zuko grabbed your wrist with his other hand, keeping you still.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He growled, your eyes rising up to his amber ones.

"You're allowed to be hot tempered and angry at me while I'm not? You expect to be treated better than everyone around you." You explained, eyebrows furrowing in anger.

"I'm a prince, of course I'm supposed to expect it. You're just some lowly government official's daughter whose father sold you out!" He spoke down to you, your exasperation taking hold of you.

You finally let out a yell as you firebended a puff of fire towards him from your hand. He fell back, and immediately swung his leg up to kick fire towards you. You redirected the fire away, growing distance between the two of you. The two of you were still for a moment, your eyes wide in shock as you realized what you had done. This wasn't a match or practice, this was you fighting against Zuko. You immediately put your hands down, Zuko still in his defense position. You checked the gold ring on your finger, feeling relief to see it was unharmed. You took off the ring and shoved it into your pocket.

"You wanted to fight (Y/n), so fight me!" He yelled, as if he was asking for it. You shook your head.

"I'm not going to punish you for how I feel, prince Zuko." You breathed out, tears building against your own will in your eyes once more. He let out a yell as he punted fire towards you. You quickly went into defense mode and blocked the hits with your own fire bending.

"Fight back!" He screamed, your eyebrows furrowed in worry as you tried to stop him from throwing anymore flames. You were getting too hot.

"Zuko- Sto- Ah!" You let out a shriek as one last shot of fire found its way through your blocks against your chest. You were thrown back by the flame, body rolling to the ground harshly. For a moment your site was gone, small jilts of passing out taking over you.

"(Y/n)- I'm sorry- I-I was just mad at.. I didn't mean t.. hurt.. ou." His voice began to fade from your ears. Your eyes opened groggily, body yanked towards the prince as the last thing you saw was a look of true fear on his face.

——

"... Prince Zuko...  you do this?" Iroh's words came to you slowly, his voice coaxing you awake. Your eyes were closed but the light made you tell it was morning time. You heard a mumble that you were sure was Zuko's voice, but it was so low and shy you weren't sure what to think of it.

"Prince Zuko, you must learn to control your anger-"

"I can control it! Don't tell me what to do." He yelled back, standing. Your eyes slowly fluttered open, the two now standing in front of each other.

"You can control it? Prince Zuko I have done much to help you but your actions by hurting (Y/n) show that you have not learnt enough. Learn to be gentle, Prince Zuko." He spoke, a wise tone in his voice.

"She hit me first!"

"Does that truly matter, prince Zuko? You laid the last blow." Iroh defended. Zuko huffed, eyes moving down to your own instead. A certain look took over his face and he quickly exited the cabin. His emotion looked.. Nervous. Iroh looked down to you and smiled, sitting crisscross next to you.

"How are you feeling, (Y/n)?" He asked, your hand reaching to your head as you rubbed it. There was a foggy headache that took over your brain.

"Fine, mostly.." you answered, looking down to your chest to find the robe had been burned in the front. The fire didn't penetrate through the clothing luckily, but it did have enough power to push you back. "I guess talking with prince Zuko did not turn out how you expected." He hummed.

"You could say that.." you sighed, sitting up completely now. You pulled your knees to your chest and Iroh sighed. Everything was quiet for a moment before Iroh finally decided to give some advice.

"In life we can only predict our outcomes as though they are stars. We can hold onto them long enough but by the time we see them, most have already died. I would say your friendship with Prince Zuko is like a star, yet his burns out with a firey explosion... Hold patience for him, even though you may not want to. It is hard to teach a child that doesn't want to learn." Iroh explained, your lips pressing thin.

"A star, huh.." you mumbled, then took in a breath and decided to wear a calm smile on your face rather than a frown. "Then I will.. try, to be patient with him.." you slowly raised yourself up, then helped Iroh up as well.

"The shells on the beach were nice last night.. Should we collect some?" You asked, Iroh chuckling softly.

"Yes, we should my (Y/n)."

——

The time spent on the beach was nice enough. You spent the morning collecting shells with Iroh, specifically you were lead more towards red ribbed shells. Iroh grabbed larger ones, even finding a conch. He was very excited when he found that one. Zuko was gone most of the morning, probably practicing fire bending alone. He eventually trailed behind the two of you, giving a sign he wanted to get on the road and start walking. The three of you now had no boat or soldiers to help, which was something you weren't used to at all. And you thought being on a ship for three years was horrible, now you were banished and going rogue.

The three of you soon entered the small cabin, Zuko outwardly irritated about the amount of shell's you and Iroh had collected. Iroh hummed as he poured the shells out of the back onto the lone table.

"Look at these magnificent shells!" He marvled, lifting up the lucky conch, "We will enjoy these keepsakes for years to come." Iroh looked towards you, a smile growing on your lips. You lost it when Zuko stated in a frustrated tone,

"We don't need any more useless things! You forget, we have to carry everything ourselves now!" Before yanking the conch away from his uncle.

"Be nice Zuko-"

"Hello, brother. Uncle. Old friend." A voice suddenly stated, your eyes moving quickly to the corner of the room where Azula sat comfortably. You immediately grew tense. The last time you saw her she had laughed in your face about your father causing your banishment. Now she was here in the flesh.

"What are you doing here?" Zuko asked in an angered tone, setting the conch down and took a step back. He took a step in front of you and blocked your slight from Azula, a sour look growing on his features as she stood with a sigh.

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant hello before asking questions." Azula started, then took a few steps forward, "Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?" She asked in a sickeningly sweet tone, lifting up a shell between her fingers.

"Don't call me that!" He yelled, Azula's lips curling into a smile.

"To what do we owe the pleasure?" Iroh asked in an obviously jilted voice. Azula hummed, looking between the two.

"Hmmm ... must be a family trait. Both of you so quick to get to the point. What about you (Y/n), are you as irritated as these two?" She questioned.

"What are you doing here, Azula?" You asked, a sigh escaping Azula's lips.

She then crushed the shell, Iroh now wearing an angry face.  "I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him; treacherous plots. Family are the only ones you can really trust." She paused, your heart skipping a beat. "Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home- oh, and you too (Y/n). My father has decided to pity you for your idiot of a father's decisions.."

This was too good to be true. Would your father actually care about you? He just tried to sell you off to a lousy general and could have cared less about your future. Why would he start caring two weeks later?... Why wouldn't he care? Maybe he does and you're just over reacting. Maybe he's taking this chance of the fire lord being sentimental to have you come back and be a family again? Even that thought was hard to believe. Not even Zuko or Iroh spoke to her words. You didn't know the fire lord to be emotional or loving 'family'. You looked down to Zuko's hand's, his pale digits curled so tightly into a fist you felt his nails were probably digging into his skin.

"Did you hear me? You should be happy. Excited. Grateful. I just gave you both great news." Azula scoffed, crossing her arms.

"I'm sure your brother and (Y/n) simply need a moment." Iroh defended, lifting his hand to press onto your shoulder.

"Don't interrupt, Uncle!" Azula yelled, turning her attention back to you and Zuko.  "I still haven't heard my thank you. I'm not a messenger. I didn't have to come all this way." She sighed in annoyance, your eyes fluttering. She had came to take you all home. Your father wanted you. You reached your hand forward and tugged lightly on Zuko's sleeve, the male relaxing his hands as he looked towards Azula.

"Father regrets? He.. Wants me back?" He questioned himself, Azula taking this as her cue to leave.

"I can see you need time to take this in. I'll come to call on you tomorrow. Good evening." She took her exit quickly, leaving you three to ponder.

"Did she mean it?" You asked almost immediately, eyes moving to Iroh quickly. He wore a stern face, eyes mostly on Zuko who looked deep in thought.

"Why else would she? Father.. He wants me to come home. Uncle, he wants me home." A hopeful tone took over his voice, even a smile peeking upon his lips. A smile grew on your own lips as you looked up to him. Zuko's eyes moved down to yours, an excitement growing in them.

"Your father wants you home too.. (Y/n), we're going home." He breathed out, his hand moving to one of yours. He was so happy that he forgot about your dual the night before.

Iroh was still silent, thinking over things as he began to clean up the pieces of broken shell Azula had left on the ground. You tried to ignore negative thoughts and instead tried to live in positive ones with Zuko. You never got a happy version of him. This was the first time you have seen the real Zuko in some time. You were going to sit with it as long as you could. Zuko squeezed your hand, bringing your eyes to move back up to him.

"Are you excited, (Y/n)?" He asked, your head nodding immediately. "Of course, prince Zuko." You smiled.

"Good.. We should start packing later.." He stated, looking towards Iroh who still didn't hold as much excitement as the two of you. Zuko furrowed his brows before looking back to you.

"Ignore that old man.. Just think about how exciting it will be to be apart of the fire nation again. Your father even wants you home.. I wonder if I can ask permission to have you move into the palace." He questioned himself, your eyes widening.

"The palace? Only your blood family can live there Zuko, you know that, you seem to be getting ahead of yourself.." you laughed softly, Zuko shrugging.

"Maybe the rules have changed.." he spoke, his lips pressing thin for a moment. He then took your forearm and led you out of the cabin, you not fighting back his leading,

Zuko then stopped at the end of the steps, now closer to the beach and away from the cabin. This was his version of privacy for now.

"What is it Zuko?" You asked in a soft tone, the teen taking a breath before he started,

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I know you're fine but truly, I didn't. I was just.. Tired." He explained, your head tilting.

"Tired?" You asked, noticing Zuko's hand was still holding onto your arm.

"Yes.. physically, mentally," he took an annoyed sip of air before mumbling, "emotionally.."

"I understand.." you then moved a step closer, eyes looking down to his hand that held firm against you.

"After everything with Zhao it made me realize how easy it could be for you to be taken from me.. and that thought- it.. It did something to me that I can't explain. I regret treating you how I did... It's dishonorable." He explained. Your heart began to piece itself back together.

"Ah.." You breathed out in relief, pushing a strand of hair behind your ear. "I was so worried I did something to you." You moved your eyes up to Zuko's, his not leaving yours. You forgot how beautiful he was, even if he had a purposely shameful haircut and a gruesome scar. You grew used to this look.

"You did do something. You made me.. care." He slid his hand from your forearm to your hand, holding it gently in his larger one. He squeezed it before lifting a finger to the crisp part of your robe, feeling the burnt texture. "I won't let myself do that to you again."

"Do you promise?" You asked in a gentle tone, Zuko nodding once.

"I promise."

——

You didn't have much to pack. After all, all of your possessions were destroyed on Zuko's ship before you even came to Zhao's. You did help Iroh pack away his tea making supplies in a leather bag, happy to help him while Zuko excitedly set his own items away. Your heart fluttered seeing a smile on his face after so much time without it. It was a genuine smile too, one that reminded you of before he was given his scar. It made your stomach tingle with joy.

"We're going home! After three long years, it's unbelievable!" Zuko stated, stuffing items into his sack.

"I hope my father saved my things while I was away." You smiled, ears peeking up to Iroh's voice,

"It is unbelievable. I have never known my brother to regret anything." Iroh looked out the window, aware of Azula's ships being close by waiting to take you all home tomorrow. You furrowed your eyebrows, concerned about Iroh's point.

"And?" You questioned, Zuko butting in,

"Did you listen to Azula? Father's realized how important family is to him! He cares about me! He cares about us!" Zuko spoke in an irritated tone, Iroh turning toward the both of you.

"I care about you both! And if Ozai wants you back, well, I think it may not be for the reasons you imagine." Iroh's words sent you into a pit once again. Why would your father want you back, truly? Why would Ozai suddenly feel sympathy towards you out of all people?

Zuko turned away from Iroh, shoulders tense as he yelled, "You don't know how my father feels about me. You don't know anything!"

"Zuko, I only meant that in our family, things are not always what they seem." Iroh defended.

"What if he's right Zuko? Why would your father feel that way so suddenly?" You questioned, Zuko tying off his bag.

"Why wouldn't he? Why can't you believe my father would want me back just because I'm his son!" He screamed, fist beating at the table in front of him. You furrowed your eyebrows at this, Iroh placing a hand on your shoulder.

"Please Zuko, listen-"

"I think you are exactly what you seem! A lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who's always been jealous of his brother!" Zuko then stormed off, slamming the cabin door behind him.

He left the both of you, Iroh shaking his head sadly as he looked to the floor.

"Zuko, he is so misguided. His want for exceptance from his father blinds him."

"For a moment I thought my father wanted me home.. That Ozai would hold sympathy towards me.." you mumbled, Iroh rubbing his hand against your shoulder.

"It is not your fault, neither is it Zuko's. I know how drifting it can be to be given such great news, but in this case.. My brother, he is not one to feel for others— and Princess Azula is a liar. I would never trust a word from her, and neither should the either of you." He explained.

"He will come back soon, don't worry (Y/n). Tomorrow morning, he will choose to go with them. If they are true to their word we will come, and if they aren't we will still go with him. He needs to be protected if incase Azula is lying, which I suspect she is." Iroh planned.

"Alright.. And if they are lying, what does that mean?" You asked, stomach stinking. Iroh was quiet for a moment before he took a breath.

"Than Ozai  has other plans for us than a welcome home." He ended, your throat dry.

The plan was solid enough. Either way you will be with Zuko and he will feel supported and strong. You hoped that Azula was telling the truth, but after Iroh's words your doubts were growing more and more heavy. You thought of Ozai as evil. After scarring Zuko, banishing you both, and giving the impossible task of finding the Avatar there was no other thought on him. You hated the fire lord and didn't respect him whatsoever, but you would follow Zuko to the ends of the world. Whatever he wanted, you will help with. His future was important to you, even if in his eyes yours wasn't as key as his was. He just wanted to be accepted by his father and gain his honor back. You just wanted to stay with your family, which was now Zuko and Iroh.

You decided to follow after Zuko wherever he had walked off to. It wasn't hard finding him with all the smoke rising from the forest close by, so you followed it. You found him punching with fire fist against a stump, practicing basics. He had been wanting to learn harder movements recently, but to do that you have to master the basics.

"Zuko?" You called out, the teen continuing his practicing. "Come on Zuko, let's go back." You suggested, walking closer to the prince. His face didn't change. Furrowed eyebrows, squinted eyes, and a scowl that made you feel like his face would be stuck like that.

"We should be rejoicing but instead my idiot uncle thinks my father doesn't want me home- that my father would do anything else except want his eldest son to come back to the rightful throne.. And you- how dare you question me?" He got louder by the end, his feelings confusing you. You swiped your hands and shook your head in refusal.

"I didn't mean to question you Zuko, I was just saying to think about it!- either way I will come with you." You stated, pressing a hand against your chest. Zuko looked up to you, pausing in his practice. "I will come Zuko. I want to go home with you." You stated, coming closer as you pressed your other hand against his bicep. The teen's face grew warm as he looked down towards you, standing more comfortable now.

"You'll come home with me.. I'm glad. No matter what my uncle says I want you to be with me when I'm accepted back into the fire nation. Okay?" he breathed out, your heart caught by his words.

"Okay, Zuko.. I'll be with you." You answered, hand sliding down to his free one.

He held it back for a moment, eyes moving from your fingers up to your eyes. You could tell he was thinking about something while he stared, his pupils moving from your eyes to your lips multiple times. Your face grew warm, realizing what he may be thinking about. You slowly leaned forward, eyes slowly fluttering shut. You felt Zuko lean down, his face less than an inch from your own. His breath shuddered against your lips for a moment, every bone in your body wanting to close the gap. Zuko secured the kiss suddenly, his warm lips pressing against your own. Your eyebrows furrowed in pleasure from the sweet kiss, one of his hands moving to cup the side of your face.

Zuko soon leaned back, your eyes fluttering open up to him as he looked over you. He looked hazed, yet soon blinked himself out of it. Zuko moved his hand down from your face, finger gliding against the skin on your neck before down to your hand. You were quiet for a moment before you took a step back, pressing a finger to your lip and sliding it before dropping it back down with an 'ahem'.

"When you're ready come back inside.. And, if you would like, sleep closer to me tonight. It gets cold.." You requested, eyes bashfully looking to his shoes rather than his face. He was quiet and only nodded before you turned around, letting out a breath you felt you had been holding the whole time.

"I'll walk back with you. We should sleep early to get rest for tomorrow." He stated, stepping next to you as you walked.

"Alright," you smiled, arm lightly bumping into his as you stepped along. You felt comfortable in the quiet that was held between the two of you now.

"When we're home, what should we do first Zuko?" You asked in a gentle tone, the male in thought as he found an answer.

"We should eat together.. Or see the garden." He suggested, your lips curling at his words. The garden is where you played when you were little.

"We should.. I was thinking about how the turtle ducks may be doing. I'm sure the babies have grown up by now and had their own. Life moves so quickly.." you hummed.

"These three years couldn't have been longer." He breathed out, your eyes moving to the teen who's brows were furrowed. You slipped a hand into his, squeezing it reassuringly.

"And these three years have came to an end. I'm thankful for them in a way.." you sighed, Zuko's face showing intense confusion. You almost laughed at it. "I'm thankful for it because at least when banished I was able to spend it with you. Your 'Courtier'.." you laughed softly at the end, Zuko's lips twitching into a smile.

"Hm.. I should have called you second in command rather than that. Whatever- that's over now. At home you'll be (Y/n) and I'll be-"

"Prince Zuko." You finished him off, Zuko nodding towards you.

"Prince Zuko."

Azula lied. Azula lied and now you, Zuko, and Iroh were on the run away from their ship with nothing but Iroh's tea set.

"I think we're safe here." Iroh breathed out, the trio catching a breath as they calmed down by the river.

You took ragged breaths as you peaked past the trees, finding that you couldn't see the fire nation boats. You let out a relieved sigh and nodded towards the prince, confirming Iroh's words. There was silence for a few moments before Zuko pulled out his dagger, then lifted it to his hair. He cut it off swiftly, your eyes widening at the long pony tail that fell from his head. You gulped as the dagger was passed to Iroh, the older man copying his nephews motions at the top knot from his head. The dagger was then passed to you, you looking over the sharp edge for a moment while thinking,

'Hair holds memories.'

Then grabbed the extra length of your hair and sliced. You all held onto the hair, then dropped it into the river, letting it flow away. You weren't sure where, or what was going to happen next. All you knew is that you had to do it by the banished prince's side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.7K 632 27
Y/N has been on the adventure of a lifetime traveling with Avatar Aang and their other friends. She knows this is exactly where she needs to be and t...
583K 18.7K 51
I wrote this for myself but you can read it, too, if you'd like. Y/N is a water bender who was born on board a fire navy ship holding Southern Water...
90.5K 3.3K 48
There is an old folklore about the Children of the Forest. They were mortal spirits who were the First Benders with the ability to travel freely to t...
820K 26.5K 56
A Zuko X Reader story. As always, I wrote this for myself but you can read it, too, if you'd like. Y/N was an air bender, she was tasked with watch...