insomnia | e.jaeger

By killuas

in which a boy who sleeps to avoid his problems and a girl who cannot sleep because she over thinks hers. • e... More

disclaimer
1 • move in
2 • first day
3 • fruity pebbles
4 • an invitation
5 • party time
6 • diner talk
7 • avoidance
8 • distraction
9 • eren and mikasa
10 • confrontation
11 • study date
12 • bonfire
13 • i think i like
14 • kiss me
15 • my way to you
author's note
16 • since the first time
17 • bittersweet
18 • can i
19 • baji

20 • the ackermans

563 22 18
By killuas

"i told you, i can't." you spoke to your father, running a hand through your hair before resting your chin in the palm of your hand. your phone was propped up against the water bottle, the low sound of the tv playing some news cast in the break-room.

"c'mon. i'll pick you up and take you back." your father offered. the two of you were discussing plans for the upcoming thanksgiving holiday. unfortunately, the college only close the day of the holiday, not giving you the full week off like most schools do.

"that's too much driving. besides, i work black friday. my boss would kill me if i miss that." you shiver, thinking about the wrath levi would unleash if you even pondered the thought of calling out on one of the busiest days of the year.

your dad sighed, accepting defeat. "alright, fine. but i better expect you here for christmas."

you smiled, nodding. "of course. already have my bags packed for that and gifts purchased."

"so what do you plan to do for thanksgiving then?" your fathered asked. you hummed, turning your head to the side as you heard the door to the breakroom open. you nodded in greeting at levi who came in at that moment, his tea mug in hand.

"probably make myself a small dinner. most of my friends are heading home for the holiday for the day." you shrugged. it's not like thanksgiving was a big deal to you or your family but you knew that they missed you.

your father signed, opening his mouth to try and convince you to come home once more before the twins barged in yelling about something you couldn't make out. "guess that's my cue to go. i'll call you later." he said before hanging up. you locked the device and sighed before folding your arms upon the table top.

"your father calling?" levi asked, mixing his tea bag in his mug.

"yes, he was begging me to come home for the holiday but i told him it was better for me to stay here."

levi nodded, internally having a small battle with his thoughts. he knew if he didn't invite you, his uncle would have his ass. so, the older gentleman sighed, surveying the breakroom that only housed the two of you before speaking. "Come with Mikasa and I to our grandmother's for dinner. No if's, and's or but's." was all he said before leaving. you blinked, clearly taken aback by the invitation that almost felt like a threat.

and that's how you found yourself seated across armin, next to mikasa in paradis that thursday, a plate full of food bestowed before you. levi was helping his grandmother bring drinks to the table while armin's grandfather made sure the napkins and utensils were at every seat. you learned from mikasa that typically armin and his grandfather had dinner with them since it was usually just the two of them. eren usually joined as well since he dreaded going to his father's but he typically arrived after the table was clear and dessert was being served.

you looked around the home that mikasa and levi grew up in, finding it to be quite cozy despite the lack of family pictures that didn't decorate the walls like your family home had. instead, frames of famous paintings or local artists decorated the walls which brought it's own charm. there were a few frames that you noticed were turned around but decided not to pry. afterall, you were a random addition to the bunch.

"she resembles kenny, yet i get a sense of you as well." levi's grandmother mused as she stirred the pitcher of lemonade.

levi just hummed, hands filled with glasses. "she doesn't know about us. you know how kenny is."

"that son of mine. ever the mysterious type the two of you." she lets out a heavy sigh, taking a hold of the pitcher and turning to leave the kitchen. "haven't seen him since he brought you and mikasa to my doorstep."

"me either." levi walked ahead of the elder, handing out the cups to each of you before taking his seat beside mikasa. their grandmother smiled at you, pouring you a glass of lemonade.

"thank you." you muttered, taking a sip. your eyes widened as the bitter, yet sweet taste danced around your tastebuds. "did you make this yourself?"

"gran makes the best homemade lemonade." mikasa shared gleefully as she took her own sip.

armin nodded at you from across the table just as his grandfather took his seat beside him. their grandmother took her own at the head of the table, signaling everyone to eat. the meal was delicious, savory and filled with delightful small talk amongst those at the table. levi and mikasa bickered over who was going to get the last dinner roll which had their grandmother roll her eyes. you smiled at the two of them, resting your chin in the palm of your hand as they reminded you of the twins.

"everything okay dear?" gran asked you as she began to clear the table. you looked up at her from where she stood behind your chair.

"yes. they just remind me of my brothers is all." you quickly stood from your seat, grabbing your own empty plate. "let me help you."

gran tried to shoo you away. "nonsense, you're a guest. levi, mika, stop arguing and help me clear the table to ready for dessert."

the two instantly stopped, settling on splitting the roll between the two and quickly filled their hands with cutlery and empty plates and cups. gran ushered you to sit back down to which you did.

"how'd you enjoy the food?" armin asked.

"it was delicious."

"just wait until you try the apple fritter and pumpkin pie. they're to die for. not to mention the brownies armin prepared." his grandfather gloated as he patted as his belly. you chuckled at the gesture as arming flushed, not used to the compliments nor attention.

"armin, i didn't know you baked."

"yeah, it's kind of a hobby when i have the time. working at barnes and noble intrigued me to pick up a cook book or two." he admitted.

"you're gonna have to teach me a thing or two. i can share my grandmother's recipes that she left behind as well. her banana bread is one of my favorites to make."

armin grinned. "yes! that sounds like fun."

before you could utter another word, a knock at the front door was heard. armin's grandpa picked himself up from his chair after gran asked him to answer it. "jaeger!" you heard him greet as the front door swung open. "about time you showed up."

eren smiled sheepishly at the old man, shrugging off his coat as he passed the threshold. "you know how my old man is. family pictures and all that after dinner."

eren saw you and smiled, making a beeline for you and placing a small kiss on the crown of your head. armin smirked as he saw the blush paint your face. "happy thanksgiving."

"yeah, happy thanksgiving." you muttered back as he took the seat beside you.

"eren! just in time for dessert. i'm assuming you ate well at your father's?" gran asked as her and the ackerman siblings entered the dining area. she set down the freshly washed plates as the other two place down the desserts that armin's grandfather raved on about.

"of course. but you know i can't pass up the desserts here."

the older woman smiled before serving everyone their dessert choice. small talk was shared once more and even though it was your first thanksgiving away from your family, it was one you enjoyed. you were thankful that levi invited you and glad you didn't back out at the last minute.

black friday weekend was a hectic one. if you didn't get any sleep before, you barely got any now. with the balancing of final assignments leading up to finals themselves and the hustle and bustle of the retail hell filled with overtime, your exhaustion as well as your eye bags grew. yet, you still had trouble sleeping which was nothing new.

you plopped down into your seat of your final class of the day, thankful that levi gave you the afternoon off today after the hectic weekend. you rested your head on the cool tabletop of the lab desk, eyes staring at nothing in particular until the chairs beside and in front of you scraped across the linoleum floor.

"sorry." mikasa whispered as she took her seat next to armin. she rummaged around in her bag until her hands wrapped around the cool can, placing the aluminum can before you. you quirked your eyebrow at the redbull before you. "you look like you need it."

you chuckled, sitting up right and cracking the can open. you chugged half the can which earned an impressed whistle from eren.

"what? i have a paper to write for levi's class after this."

he put his hands up in feign surrender as professor hange entered the room. she grinned excitedly as she set her bag upon the desk at the front of the room.

"do you guys remember at the start of the semester when we spoke about the agriculture of everyone's hometown?" she spoke with much enthusiasm.

a chorus of yes' in some confident and confused tones echoed throughout the room as you wanted to bash your head against the tabletop. how could you forget? it was something you dreaded if your town was to be picked.

"well after much deliberation as well as reaching out to the variety of cities, one town was selected per each of these courses i'm teaching which is about 3 and i finally selected the one for this class."

"what are we doing again?" a student asked aloud.

"good question! the trip will be about three days long, shortly after finals. we will be visiting a local farm, a festival in regards to the agriculture there and then a free day to roam! the trip doesn't have an assignment tied to it but you are required to go to pass the class." hange explained. some students groaned, thinking that since the trip was after finals, it would have nothing to do with their grades meanwhile others seemed excited to travel.

"did i mention it's all expenses paid?" hange's grin grew as the students who groaned quickly sat and held eager looks. who doesn't love free food and accommodation? "that being said, the town our class visiting is..."

hange pauses looking pointedly to the class. "drum roll please."

the class pats their hands upon their desks to mimic the sounds of a drum roll. "oak town! the hometown of our quiet little y/n!"

you just about spurt out the sip of red bull you were consuming as hange looked at you proudly. you coughed, swallowing the contents in your mouth as eren gently patted your back. you nodded at your professor before she asked you to speak.

"can you fill us in on the festival that your town holds annually?"

"um, we have a lot of fruit farms and vineyards, specifically strawberries. we have an annual fruit festival and everyone is welcome to come. some sign up to enter a competition on whose dish is the best with freshly local grown product." you share. the class murmurs, obviously excited. "neighboring cities come and there's small local business booths, carnival games and rides."

the class is a buzz with conversation, pestering you with questions as the time lulls on. you were relieved when it finally ended and you headed out of the stuffy building. armin and mikasa shared their goodbyes before heading to their next classes. eren threw his arm around your shoulders, leading you to his car.

"how does a drive around town sound?"

"can we get boba?" you asked with a slight pout. he chuckled, knowing you were exhausted from finals and the socializing you just did in hange's class.

"anything for you."

you smiled, snuggling into his side as you continued making your way to his car. after getting your drinks, you drove around the city, watching as the sun set slowly before he parked in front of his apartment. you were taking a sip of your drink when you turned to him, already feeling his eyes on you.

"so, why are you so against the class going to your hometown? i know there's something about it that makes you uneasy."

you finished chewing the pearls before setting your cup down and releasing a sigh. "i love oak town. it's all i know but it's a dead end town. no growth or anything to do. that's why i decided to leave, to make something of myself i guess."

"and you're scared of running into your ex, aren't you?" eren raised a brow as he drank his milk tea.

"i'm that obvious, huh?" a humorless chuckle escaped your lips. "it's just, things ended so suddenly and it hurt ya know? i'm scared of what will happen if we cross paths again."

eren grabbed your hand in his, kissing your knuckles. "you're gonna be with me, mikasa and armin the whole time. we won't let that asshole say shit to you."

you pursed your lips. "true but i'm also scared to see if he's moved on."

"well, haven't you?"

your eyebrows furrow together. "what do you mean?"

"moved on? with me? or was that still just a heat of the moment thing?" eren lowered your cojoined hands which caused you to immediately sense his hesitancy.

"of course. eren, i like you. you know that."

"then why are you scared if he's moved on too?"

"i can't help but feel insecure and compare myself. what if she's everything i'm not?"

eren sighed. "y/n, you're beautiful, smart, charming. i could write an essay on the things i like about you. it pains me that you don't see your worth."

you gave him a smile, reaching over to place a kiss on his cheek. he took a deep breath in, then out. removing his hands from yours as he turned around to grab something from the back seat.

your eyes widen as he brought forth a large plush and a single rose. his cheeks were littered pink as he presented them to you. "that being said, would you do me the honor of being my beautiful girlfriend?"

(some comments got cut off so i'll type them out here)

@/arlets : y/n this was my idea incase eren tries to take all the credit

@/leonheart: you guys are so cute, i'm gonna throw up

@/sashaeats: I JUST FELL TO MY HANDS AND KNEES IN THIS BURGER KING

••••••

not proofread

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 255 26
𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗲𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝗴𝘂𝗻𝗺𝗲𝘁𝗮𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗹𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗲𝘆�...
98.6K 3K 43
*♡∞:。.。  。.。:∞♡* "𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦?" "𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦." reader based & college A/U. HIGHEST RATI...