max ziegler | dance moms

By luvspeaknow

maxine grace ziegler is the younger sister of maddie and mackenzie. she's a fabulous little dancer, but can s... More

❤︎︎
The Competition Begins!
Wildly Inappropriate
Cheerleader Blues
Stealing the Show
When Stars Collide
Dying to Dance
She's a Fighter
Love on the Dance Floor
From Ballerinas to Showgirls
Cathy Brings It On!
It All Ends Here
There's Only One Star
Everyone's Replaceable
Brooke's Turning Point
No One Likes a Bully
Brooke's Back
Jill on the Rampage
Bullets and Ballet
The Runaway Mom
Miami Heat Wave
Melissa Pleads the 5th
Waiting for Joffrey

Return of the Candy Apples

290 6 3
By luvspeaknow

Kindergarten was hard today. We had to trace the letter 'Q' ten times! It's a very tricky letter and I didn't enjoy it. Sadie loves it for some weird reason I don't understand.

"Try being in fourth grade. We started learning long division, and it's really hard," Maddie complained as we rode to the dance studio.

"I don't know what we're learning," Kenzie shrugged. "School is boring."

"Mackenzie! You have to pay attention in school or else you won't learn anything," Mommy insisted as we arrived at the studio.

"Girls! Let's go! Come on, girls! Let's go!" Miss Abby yelled as we all filed into the room. "I want to start off talking a little bit about dance troupe in Greensboro, North Carolina. That was not the group in Lake Tahoe that just won a national championship. Obviously, cute still works in the Carolina's. Kendall, you did your solo scared to death. That face was not an Abby Lee Miller face, that's for certain."

"Well, Abby, that was her first time out," Jill defended.

"Oh, oh, shh. We don't get to talk. It's my turn," Miss Abby insisted, shushing her. "This weekend, we are headed to Columbus, Ohio. You know who lives in Ohio."

"Candy Apples!" Chloe exclaimed as we all cheered.

"We are going there, and she will be at the competition. I don't want any squawking between the mothers. You are all on the same team, and we're all gonna take a bite out of that big apple," Miss Abby spoke, and we laughed. "Alright, we're gonna start with the pyramid."

She turned her attention to the pyramid, and we did the same.

𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙚

𝘾𝙝𝙡𝙤𝙚 𝙉𝙞𝙖

𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙜𝙚 𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙈𝙖𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙯𝙞𝙚 𝙈𝙖𝙭 𝙆𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙡

"On the bottom: Kendall. You are on probation. That means that I am watching you like a hawk. Do you understand me? Max. You struggle doing the choreography like everyone else. You're sloppy, and you're always late. Mackenzie. I keep giving you little parts. Same as Max, your dancing is not up to where the rest of the girls are. Maddie could've easily played your part when she was seven. Brooke. You knew the number. But the crying and the hysteria, that's not a young adult. Paige. You did a nice job this weekend. Then, on the bus coming home, we told you to sit down 32 times. I counted. That's 31 too many," Miss Abby stated.

"Every single one of them were playing on the bus," Kelly argued.

"That doesn't make it right!" Miss Abby yelled.

"So tell them, yell at them, too!" Kelly shouted, pointing at the rest of us.

"Nia. I left you here in the same spot that you were in last week. Maybe somebody from Nia's family could show up at the competition and watch her and clap for her. Next we have Chloe. Chloe, you did a great job. And at the top of the pyramid is Maddie. You did a great job. I've seen you dance better. I want you to be exactly where you were in Lake Tahoe," Miss Abby spoke, and she nodded. "Every single person is gonna be in the group dance. It is called 'Bad Apples'."

Everyone laughed at that, even the moms.

"It's a little '40s, has a little novelty, but it's a little Katy Perry. It's a little kicked up. So I want the pin-up girl look. We have the rat, we have the snood. If you don't know what a rat and a snood is, go Google it and figure it out," Miss Abby instructed. "When you go onstage for that competition, you better be on fire. Brooke, you're doing a solo. Cathy has a girl entered your age. I want you to make applesauce out of that kid. Backstage, freak that kid out. I want that kid in tears before she ever stops on that stage. Alright, Candy Apples, applesauce. Squish 'em. Alright, moms, you're dismissed. Girls, spread apart. Let's warm up and start doing the number. Let's go. Music!"

We started learning the routine, and it was jazz. I love jazz!

"I do this. Big! Little!" Miss Abby exclaimed, demonstrating the dance move. "Hold eight, flick at one. Point your feet Mackenzie! Okay, ready? Don't move!"

We were right in the middle of rehearsal when Jill came down and interrupted the class.

"Abby, I really need to talk to you. Can we- two minutes? Two minutes?" she questioned.

"But you shouldn't even be in here with those shoes on," Miss Abby told her. "Seven, eight, one, two."

I found it funny how she ignored Jill for a good five minutes and left her standing there.

"You really need to go stay with the other mothers," Miss Abby insisted, acknowledging her.

"I just wanted to talk to you about Kendall. Give me a minute," Jill spoke, and Miss Abby walked over to her.

"Maddie, count it out," she instructed, and she did so. Only for a little while, though. "Ladies, I don't hear anybody counting. One and two and three and four and...look at her feet. They're not even together. Look at her feet. They're still not together."

"Kendall, squeeze your feet, hunny," Jill said once we came down. "Put your ankles together."

"But you can't- 'honey, honey, honey, honey'. Leave it up to me," Miss Abby demanded.

"I-I will," she stuttered. "I will."

"She will sink, or she will swim."

"And I'm counting on you. Right, just like...and I have faith in you, and my trust in you," Jill insisted.

This is much more interesting then practicing our acro tricks.

"You're going to pay a lot of money to go to Harvard. Someone's going to be the valedictorian, and thousands of other people aren't," Miss Abby stated. "Does everyone wanna be at the top of the pyramid?"

"Yes," we replied, raising our hands.

"Well..." Jill trailed off, nodding.

"Okay?" Miss Abby asked.

"Alright," she answered. "Work it."

"Let's go," Miss Abby spoke, and we continued practice. Jill went back up with the mothers.

-

Me and my friends were in Studio C, practicing whatever we needed to work on.

I told my friends about how I almost drowned in the pool.

"Wow. You almost died! That's so crazy" Stella exclaimed.

"It was scary. I thought I was never gonna see you guys again," I stated.

"You know what you can see? My Justin Bieber-"

"Shut up," Jack snapped, cutting Josie off. "I'm trying to master my switch leap."

"Max is good at those," Kayla said, and I shrugged.

I showed them my switch leap, and they all clapped.

"Thank you. I like watching my sister do them," I stated as Jack attempted it again.

"Stupid. You're doing it wrong," Josie sassed.

"Okay, you do it then," he insisted.

She ended up with purple knees and blistered feet.

"Maybe you should stop," Kayla suggested. "Before you die and stuff."

"Let's do tricks!" Kylie exclaimed, and we started doing all of our favorite tricks.

-

After we were done for the day, the three of us decided we wanted McDonald's for dinner.

"Mom?" Maddie asked once we were all settled in the car.

"Yes?" Mommy questioned, looking at her through the mirror.

"Can we have McDonald's tonight?" she asked, glancing at us for a moment before turning back to Mommy.

"We have food at home," she simply replied, and that's when Kenzie took over.

"But we worked so hard today. Please? Just this once?" she even gave her the puppy dog eyes!

"Please, Mommy? I didn't steal any Crayons today! And I didn't fall out of any tricks!" I added, trying to convince her.

"And I got a 100 on my science test," Maddie insisted.

"And I'm Student of the Month!" Kenzie exclaimed.

"Alright, fine, just this once. Since you kids have been so good recently, I'll get you McDonald's. But don't think this will be a regular occurrence, because it's not," she spoke, finally giving in. We cheered, high-fiving each other.

"We won't!" Maddie smiled, immediately going back to her phone. I tried to look at what she was doing, but she quickly pulled her phone away. "Stop looking at my phone!"

"Fine," I pouted, looking straight ahead at the dark road, waiting to see the big yellow McDonald's sign.

•Three days to competition•

Those chicken nuggets last night were the best thing I have ever had. They were soooooo good. I'm not even kidding. They were magical.

Today, Brooke had her solo rehearsal, so the rest of us were just chilling in the den. Maddie was showing Paige something on her phone. Kenzie and I were playing 'I Spy'.

"I spy with my little eye....something pink," Kenzie said, and I started looking around.

"My dance bag?"

"No."

"My hair piece?"

"No."

"My shorts?"

"No."

"My top?"

"Yes!"

"Yay! I'm so good at this."

"Everything about you is pink," Kenzie insisted, and I nodded.

"You're wearing pink," I shrugged.

"It's your top."

"Oh. Give it back."

"No."

"Can I have it tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

"Your turn now."

"I spy with my little eye...something-"

"Girls, let's go, time for group rehearsal!" Miss Abby shouted, entering the den. "Let's go! Come on!"

We began running the number, and I had a blast. I just love jazz routines!

"Five, six, seven, eight. Plié when you land! Turn-out, turn-out!" Miss Abby shouted. "Climb, Chloe. Climb. Stop!"

The music stopped, and we stopped dancing.

"Paige, what are you doing?" Miss Abby asked the girl, who just shrugged in response. "Okay. Let's just go again. Start again."

After we ran the group dance a few more times, Maddie and Paige had to rehearse their solos, which won't be aired.

Maddie's was called 'Snow White' and Paige's was called 'Poison Apple.'

"Maddie, no more stupid mistakes up there. What are you doing?" Miss Abby questioned when Kelly barged in, holding an apple covered in lights and a black hat.

"Are they running solos?" Kelly asked.

"Yeah."

"I'm gonna put these props in here," she spoke, setting them down.

"Kelly, she's 13," Mis Abby started. "Let her carry it herself."

"Next time, you can come up and get them," Kelly sassed. "She didn't know I brought a hat!"

"Whatever. You're just wasting time!" Miss Abby argued.

"So how's she gonna bring her own hat?" Kelly questioned.

"You want me to run the solos.." Miss Abby trailed off, tapping her watch.

"Well, you're yelling at me for bringing them the stuff they need. Do you want us to be hands-on moms? 'Cause you just told Nia her mom didn't love her," Kelly stated.

"I want you to be gone, and I want to get the two 14-year-olds that came to the audition and put then into this," Miss Abby told her.

"Go ahead! Throw me out!" Kelly yelled.

"Yay!" Miss Abby celebrated.

"Throw me out. Go right ahead."

"Go," Miss Abby finished, and Kelly went back up with the moms. She was still yelling at her from the jail, though.

She played the music, and we continued dancing while they spoke through the glass.

"Watch the glissade! Turn it out!"

After class, I met up with Kylie in the bathroom to get away from the cameras.

"I'm tired," I complained, sitting under one of the sinks. She did the same.

"Me too," she stated. "We're learning some really hard things I can't do."

"Yeah, I can't dance as well as the other girls. It's hard," I insisted. "I got some new Barbie's last week!"

"Really? I have to see," she spoke, leaning up from against the wall.

"Okay," I said. "But you can't cut their hair. I just gave them a haircut. And everyone else should see too."

"Deal."

"I hate when you go away to dance. It's no fun without you," she told me. "I miss you."

"Max? Max are you- there you are," Mommy spoke, entering the bathroom. "Maxie, you have an interview. Let's go. Hi, Kylie."

She waved in response.

"I don't want to do an interview," I argued, and she kneeled down so she was my level.

"Well, you have to," she urged, but I didn't budge.

"No."

"Max-"

"No! I'm tired. No interview."

"Alright, fine."

She picked me up from under the sink and threw me over her shoulder, despite my complaints.

"Bye, Kylie!"

"Put me down!"

I pouted and crossed my arms when she set me down in the chair in front of the cameras.

"I'm sorry we're late, she had to use the bathroom," Mommy lied, walking away.

"No worries," the cameraman smiled. "Ready, Max?"

"Fine."

"How do you feel about competing against the Candy Apples?"

"I think I feel good about competing against the Candy Apples. We are much more better than them."

"On a scale of one to ten, how much do you love dance?"

"On a scale of one to ten, I love dance infinity. I complain a lot and I'm tired but I, I like to dance."

"Okay, that's all we need. Thank you, Max."

"Welcome," I responded before walking away to find Mommy. She was in the den with Maddie and Kenzie and the other girls.

"That wasn't so bad now, was it?" Mommy asked, and I shook my head. Everyone laughed.

•Two days to competition•

"Girls, come on. Listen to me. Tomorrow you're leaving for competition, and you're all acting like a bunch of three-year-olds at your first recital costume. Stop. Get over there, start working on the number," Miss Abby snapped.

We all tried on the costume, and it was...interesting.

We went up to the jail so the mothers could fix our costumes and make sure they fit correctly and to sew on the apple design.

"You're practically swimming in it!" Mommy laughed. The costume was huge on me, it was swallowing me whole. She pulled out her phone and took a picture, and I posed. "Take it off, I'll make it smaller."

We all took off our costumes, and I handed mine to Mommy. We went back in the studio to continue rehearsal.

"Nia, your grand jeté change directions-" Miss Abby shook her head in disapproval.

We ran the routine again, but this time Jill and Holly were watching from next to Miss Abby.

Today was just a normal day, nothing special happened.

•One day to competition•

Today we were leaving for Ohio, a day before competition. Since Ohio is far, actually getting there would take all day, so we had to leave a day early.

At least we got to skip school.

"Maddie, go wake your sister up," Mommy instructed as she braided my hair. She groaned, getting up from the couch and up the stairs. "All done. You look beautiful."

I hopped off the chair and immediately ran to my iPad, sitting right where Maddie previously was.

"Max, what are you wearing?" Mommy asked, coming to stand above me. "Why do you have on a Fourth of July bathing suit top and a Hello Kitty skirt on?"

"I picked out my own outfit!" I exclaimed.

"I can see that," she laughed walking over to me. "Let's go put you in some actual clothes."

"Maddie, Kenz, let's go! We're gonna be late!" Mommy yelled as I ran back downstairs.

The three of them came down the stairs a few minutes later while I was busy on the my iPad.

"I cannot believe you, Maddie. Why would you do that?" Mommy asked, going into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry! She just wouldn't wake up," Maddie insisted, following Mommy.

Kenzie came in right after, but she was drenched in water. I laughed, pausing the YouTube video I was watching.

"Kenzie's all wet!" I exclaimed, and she glared at me.

"Kenz, you're getting the floor wet. Why did you come down? Go back upstairs and change," Mommy instructed, and she did as told.

"Why wouldn't you have just shaken her awake? Or something other than dumping an entire water bottle on her head? Now I'm gonna have to wash the sheets," Mommy spoke as Maddie grabbed her phone from the counter. "Unbelievable."

"I thought she was dead or something, she wasn't moving! I just wanted to be sure," Maddie defended.

"Kenzie, let's go, we're leaving!" Mommy shouted, taking her keys. "Max, off the iPad. We're going."

"Five more minutes!" I complained, watching the YouTuber try to make slime without Borax.

"You can watch it in the car. We're leaving," Mommy stated as Kenzie ran down the stairs. "Kenz, let me do your hair real quick."

She finished her hair, and Kenzie ran after Maddie at the front door.

"Max, I'm not gonna tell you again. Let's go," Mommy said, and I gave in, following them to the door. With my iPad. "Jackets and shoes on."

We did as told, and we ran to the car. It was very cold out.

-

When we arrived at the studio, most people were already there, loading their bags into the bus.

I grabbed my blanket and my iPad, getting out of the car.

"Max, can you take your makeup case?" Mommy asked, and I shook my head. "Or your suitcase?"

"Suitcase," I told her, and she nodded. Kenzie and Maddie took their bags, and we headed towards the bus.

The bus driver placed all of our bags into the bus, and we boarded the vehicle.

I made my way to Chloe, who smiled at me when I entered the bus.

"I like your hair!" she complimented.

"Thank you. I have one french braid and Kenzie has two," I informed her.

"Oh, that's cool. You guys are sorta matching," Chloe spoke, and I nodded. "I'm kinda sad I can't do your hair now."

"Next time," I insisted, and she nodded.

Literally the second the bus started moving, Miss Abby just had to yell at the bus driver about directions.

"Bus driver Jim. Why didn't we jump on the turnpike and hit 79 the other way so we would miss all this traffic?"

"Chloe. Look at this video I found," I said, taking out my iPad and opening YouTube. "It tells you how to make slime without Borax!"

"Wow, I've been trying that for months and it never works!" she exclaimed, watching the video.

We spent the next 30 minutes watching slime videos, because who doesn't love slime?

"Hey, why don't you give Abby her little gift we got her," Mommy told Jill.

I forgot that the two of them went shopping yesterday. Our babysitter Amanda came over while she was gone, and I showed her the slime videos too!

"We should make slime sometime," Chloe suggested, and I agreed.

"It has to be pink though," I insisted.

"Oh yes, for sure."

-

By the time we got to the hotel, it was dark out. Somehow, I didn't fall asleep.

"Girls, come on. Let's go," Miss Abby said as we exited the bus.

We checked into the hotel, and much to everyone's surprise, Kelly got mail.

"We are cordially invited to a soirée in the Presidential Suite downtown Columbus. Cocktail attire encouraged," Kelly spoke, reading the note.

"What kind of event is this?" Holly asked.

Kenzie and I exchanged a look of shock when Kelly screamed, holding up a small apple keychain or something.

While the moms went to the party, Brooke was on babysitting duty.

We hung out in the lobby since the manager or whatever said it was okay, as long as we weren't too loud.

We started playing tag, but Brooke immediately stopped us.

"Guys, we're gonna get kicked out. Stop running. Just sit and, like, go on your phones or something."

I'm five.

The older girls went on their phones the rest of the time while Nia taught Kenzie and I some cool hand tricks.

She started bending her fingers all the way back and twisting them together.

"Ew," Kenzie whined as I made a disgusted face.

"Here's one of my favorites." she grabbed a coin and showed us. We nodded, waiting for her to continue. She waved it around, and it disappeared. We gasped in shock.

"How did you do that?" I asked, looking around for the coin.

"Where did it go?" Kenzie questioned.

"A magician must never reveal their secrets," she insisted, placing a finger to her mouth. "Maybe one day you'll learn."

"I'm bored," I stated, and Kenzie agreed. "I want my iPad."

"Me too," Kenzie said. Our iPads were up in our room, and we weren't allowed to leave the lobby. Either way, we don't have a room key. "I want a donut."

"Yummy," I smiled, sitting upright. "When will Mommy be back? I'm tired."

"Sleep on the couch," Nia suggested. "It's pretty comfortable."

"I like my bed better. But I will sleep," I told her, laying down to sleep. Kenzie layed down next to me.

"Night M&M's," Nia stated, and I heard her get off the couch.

"Night."

"Night."

•Competition day•

We were up at the crack of dawn for competition today, and I never really full woke up.

At least I woke up in the hotel bed and not on that couch. It wasn't very comfortable.

I made Mommy do most of the work. It felt nice, doing nothing.

We took another bus to get to the competition building, and Kenzie and I watched a Barbie movie the whole time.

As we were walking through the hallway of the building, we saw Cathy and her dancers warming up. They were doing sit-ups.

"There they are. Keep going. Keep your heads up high, alright? And remember, no running, hugging, kissing. Just, 'Hi. How are you?'" Miss Abby instructed to Paige, Kendall, Kenzie and I, since we were walking in front with her.

I held Paige's hand to stay with the group. I didn't wanna get lost.

"Hi. How are you?" Miss Abby asked, waving at them. Kenzie also gave them a small wave.

"You left a curler," Cathy stated, and she immediately took it out. Her and her mothers started laughing. "Very fashionable."

"Nobody can tell me?" Miss Abby asked us, and we stayed silent.

"Hi guys. How are you?" Cathy questioned as the others came up behind us. They all said their hello's.

"Come on, let's go, girls. Thank you," Miss Abby spoke, dragging us away from them.

We arrived at our dressing room, unpacking all of our stuff to begin getting ready.

"Ladies, think of everything I yelled at you about five days ago, four days ago, three days ago, two days ago, yesterday. And go over that dance in your head. This is really important to me personally. It's really important to your moms," Miss Abby insisted as Mommy started putting weird things in Maddie's hair. She looked silly. "Kendall! This is about you getting an Abby Lee Dance Company jacket or going back to the regular classes. You understand? Yes. Mom, you understand that?"

"I do," Jill replied.

"I want your corrections that I've corrected, fixed," Miss Abby demanded as Jill starting working on Kendall's hair.

Mommy told me it was a snood. I remember Miss Abby telling us about that. That, and a rat.

"Let me go over this whole hair thing..." Miss Abby started, but I was busy warming up my tricks with Kenzie.

"Holly, thank you so much for getting me a black snood," Christi spoke.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute here. This is a snood," Miss Abby insisted, referring to the one in Paige's hair.

"I know," Holly said.

"But we have to...you can't wear different things onstage, you guys know that. Why am I finding out this now?" Miss Abby asked.

There's also something wrong right before competition. Always.

"But why didn't you buy seven new ones of that?" Miss Abby questioned, pointing at Chloe.

"Because when I left yesterday morning, I searched around four different stores, Saturday morning: that's what I got," Holly spoke.

"But nobody told me."

"I did, I told you I got...where were you?"

"I'd have said buy seven of the same thing."

"You know what, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about snoods," Holly snapped. "Okay?"

"I want the thin ones that Holly bought, in everybody's hair. And I want this is Nia's hair," Miss Abby instructed. She wanted the one Paige was wearing on Nia instead. "We have to have the same thing."

"So, what do you think about Cathy last night?" Christi asked, changing the subject.

"What do you mean last night?" Miss Abby questioned.

"We had a soirée, and she was the only person there," Kelly told her.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. When I left last night, you all didn't go up to your rooms?" Miss Abby asked in shock.

"Nope. We went to Cathy's," Christi said.

"Well, I think that's really going behind my back, and I don't appreciate it," Miss Abby spoke. "Well, what did she have to say? 'Cause that's solicitation."

Big word.

"What does that mean?" I asked Kenzie, who just shrugged.

"Solids? Like matter? Solids?"

"She basically was asking us why we stay at your studio," Kelly informed her.

"She just had some not-so-nice things to say about you," Christi added.

"I would never go and invite a bunch of moms from another dance studio to my room, and then talk about their teacher," Miss Abby insisted.

"Max, you're up," Mommy said when Maddie was finished.

"You look silly," I laughed, and she ignored me to go change.

"Max, do you wanna change first? It'll be easier without the stuff in your hair," Mommy stated, and I shook my head.

"No, I don't wanna change yet," I told her, and she sighed.

"Fine. But I'm telling you now, it'll be a lot harder to get into your costume with the snood and rat in your hair," she insisted.

"I said I don't wanna change."

She started doing my hair, and it hurt. A lot.

"Ow!" I complained when she yanked on my hair to put the stupid rat in. "That hurts!"

"Sorry, Maxie, I'm almost done. A little longer," Mommy spoke, and I kept complaining the entire time.

"That wasn't nice," I pouted when she was finished. She chuckled, kissing my cheek.

"Come on, go change," she said, handing me the costume. I took it and went into the changing room.

All I have to say is that I should've changed first.

Around an hour later, it was time to start heading to the theatre.

As we were walking down the hall, a bunch of other dancers were standing around us, saying 'good luck' and stuff.

We all patiently waited backstage for our turn, and I noticed Cathy walk over to Kendall. Interesting.

"We got this. We can do it," Chloe encouraged from beside me. We waited in the same wing, Kendall in the one next to ours. "We're gonna kill it."

"Yes we are," I smiled, giving her a high-five.

"What's up with your guys' hair? It's interesting," Cathy said, approaching us. Chloe shook her head at me, telling me to stay quiet.

"It's a snood and a rat!" I exclaimed, and Chloe immediately shushed me. Cathy walked away.

"Did I not just tell you to not say anything?" Chloe questioned.

"Sorry," I apologized.

I swear I'm working on my listening skills. Promise.

"It's okay. Just don't let her freak you out, alright? Don't let her get to you," Chloe instructed, and I nodded. "We can do this."

"Next up, Abby Lee Dance Company with 'Bad Apples'," the EMCEE announced, and the music started.

Da, da, da, bad apple

Honey, won't you meet me at the apple tree?

To sit with me with no one else around

Honey, won't you meet me at the apple tree?

To sit with me with no one else around

So as it goes by, to have an appetite

Juicy, red and shiny all around

We finished dancing, and I thought we did a fabulous job. Now I want an apple.

We stayed backstage to watch the Candy Apple's number, and I was excited.

"Next up, Candy Apple's Dance Company with 'Baila Hispanola,'" the EMCEE spoke, and they took the stage.

Of course, Vivi made a special guest appearance. That was totally my favorite part.

I have to admit it, they were really good. But they looked a lot older. Much older than I was, at least.

"It's okay, we still did a fabulous job," Paige insisted as we left the wings.

We went back into the dressing room, and Miss Abby wasn't in the best mood.

"Well that went down the tubes, didn't it?" Miss Abby asked.

"What? What do you mean by that?" Jill questioned.

"Well, when Kendall goes early and doesn't hold and doesn't listen to the music...Kendall, do you play an instrument?" Miss Abby asked the girl.

"No," she replied.

"You need to," Miss Abby told her. "You need to learn to read music. You need to hear it. You have to step up the face if you're standing next to this one. She was over the top with the face."

She was referring to Maddie, of course.

"Girls, this was an easy, baby dance," Miss Abby insisted.

"Abby, don't you think those girls were much older than ours?" Jill questioned. "They looked much older."

"That's my job. I need to worry about that," she told her.

"You think those girls were nine and ten years old?" Jill asked.

"No, I don't think they were nine and ten. However, I look like an idiot that I just can't win on our own talent and choreography and costuming," Miss Abby explained.

"I think we can win," Jill stated.

"And I have to call somebody out because I think their kids are too old," Miss Abby continued. "And I'm a little worried. I think you should be worried, too."

We went back to the theatre for awards a bit later, and I noticed Cathy talking to our moms from in audience.

"Third place, number 47, 'Docked of the Bay.' Second place, number 44, 'Baila Hispanola.' And our top junior small group is number 43, 'Bad Apples.'"

We all erupted into cheers, standing up to snatch the award and take our bows.

As soon as we got to the dressing room, the moms started cheering and celebrating. Maddie, Kenzie and I ran straight to Mommy.

"Good job girls, you were so good!" she exclaimed as we pulled away. "Maddie, sit, I gotta take out your hair."

Kenzie and I were done dancing for the day, so we sat on the floor and watched Dora on my iPad.

"I love Boots," Kenzie stated, and I agreed.

"Brooke, warmed up, nothing sloppy, don't worry about the apple," Miss Abby instructed as Kelly took out her hair. She kept making funny faces.

We went backstage to cheer her on, and I was very excited. Her costume was beautiful.

"Next up, Abby Lee Miller solo, 'Garden of Eden,'" the EMCEE stated, and the music began.

She was amazing. I knew she was gonna win, she was flawless.

I was the first to hug her when she got off stage, I was in the front with Paige.

"Good job!" I exclaimed.

"Thank you," she laughed, hugging the other girls.

We went to the audience to watch the Candy Apple solo, but I wasn't worried. I knew Brooke had this one. I just did.

"Next up, Candy Apple solo, 'Through the Looking Glass.'" she ran onto the stage, and the music started.

She did a nice job, but Brooke was better. Just stating the facts.

Maddie and Paige were also amazing.

We went back to the dressing room to wait for awards. Chloe was eating some pringle's, so I held my hand out. She looked at it, then at me, then laughed before placing one in my hand.

"Thank you," I said, mouthful of food. She laughed again.

"She doesn't seem like she was from Cathy's studio at all," Kelly stated.

"Exactly. She's at least 15," Christi added.

"Yeah," Mommy added.

"There's no way that kid's 11/12," Christi insisted.

"I don't think so, either," Mommy said.

"They're questioning Erika's age," Chloe told us. I'm assuming that's the girl from Cathy's studio. "The competition."

"Yeah, 'cause I-I was back there, and the girl walked over and goes 'We need birth certificates for Cathy's students,'" Brooke explained.

A woman came into our dressing room around five minutes later, and I was all ears.

"Hi, Abby," she greeted.

"Hi. How are you?" Miss Abby asked.

"Good. We got somebody questioning Brooke's age," the woman said.

"Okay, she's 13," Miss Abby told her.

"When is her birthday?" the woman questioned.

"She turned...January," Miss Abby hesitantly said.

"Of what year?"

"Uh, I don't know."

"January 30th of 1998," Kelly piped up. "Of '98."

"Our ages go as of the first of the year. So, she would've been 12 the first year she turned 13 in January," the woman stated.

"Right," Miss Abby nodded.

"Do we have proof of that?" the woman asked.

"I can call and get it faxed," Miss Abby suggested.

"That'll do," the woman said, writing something down on her paper.

"Who's questioning it, is it a parent?" Christi asked.

"Is one of them Candy Apple? Cathy Nesbitt?" Miss Abby questioned, and she nodded. "That girl that she had in there, there is no way that she's 12."

"No, she is not. She is 13/14. We've already moved her out."

"Okay, good, 'cause I was gonna say. I mean, you know how long I've been doing this," Miss Abby insisted.

Erika was, in fact, disqualified. Yay!

Miss Abby called her competition director to fax over Brooke's birth certificate.

Mommy did the talking, though.

"Brooke just competed, and they're questioning her age," Mommy explained.

"Okay," the woman over the phone said.

"And they need her birth certificate. Is there any way you could take a picture with your phone and send it to the judge? I have the judge's phone number," Mommy stated.

"I have it right here," the woman said.

"Thank you," Kelly spoke.

Once everything was all figured out, we headed to the theatre for solo awards.

"Age 11/12 second place platinum score number 103, 'Desert Rain.' And first place platinum score number 104, 'Garden of Eden,' Abby Lee Dance Company," the announcer stated, and Brooke went up to get her award.

Yeah, Brooke!

Maddie won first, and Paige didn't place. I thought she did great, though.

We went into the hallway to meet with the moms and congratulate the girls.

I immediately ran to Maddie, giving her a big sister hug.

"Gross, get off," she joked, pushing me away. I just hugged her again, and she gave up, hugging me back.

I moved over to Brooke, who was receiving a big kiss on the cheek from Christi.

"Good job Brooke!" I exclaimed, hugging her.

"Good job, great job. I'm proud of everybody. You worked hard. Whoo!" Miss Abby yelled.

We made our way back to the dressing room to pack up our stuff. Of course, Cathy wasn't finished with us yet.

"Hi, guys," she greeted, entering our dressing room.

"Hello," Miss Abby spoke.

"How are you?"

"Good."

"I just wanted to tell you that your red was such a nice tribute to Candy Apple's-" Miss Abby cut her off.

"My colors have been black and red since 19- whatever- 80..."

"Oh, better give me a birth certificate on that," Cathy sassed, and I snorted. Maddie smacked my arm. Miss Abby was speechless. "Mine have been red and white since..."

"Wait a minute!" Miss Abby shouted, and everyone stopped 'oohing.' "The moms were telling me that you were really kind of dissing me and wondering why they're still with me."

Cathy tried to speak, but the moms wouldn't let her.

"Cathy, something tells me that you would love to have us," Christi smirked.

"Oh, you think way too highly of yourself. Especially the way you dress," she snapped, and my jaw dropped.

"Listen, Granny, take it out the hallway," Christi stated.

"Listen, alright, listen, Nose. You've done nothing but complain about her forever. You need to take your cheap dress and mosey on out," Cathy spoke.

"My dress is not cheap, it's Ralph Lauren there, honey," Christi argued.

"Oh, I highly doubt it."

"Go back to junior high, Grandma," Christi finished, walking away. "Be gone, witch. You have no powers here."

She left, and us girls were speechless.

"I want a witch doll," I shrugged, breaking the weird tension. Or creating it? I'm not sure.

Everyone laughed, so I think I did something right.

We packed up our stuff and left the competition, and of course, I slept through the entire bus ride back to the hotel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 503 23
Alison Montgomery has been dancing at the aldc since she was 3. She is considered Abby's "star". One day, she is selected to be on a new reality tv s...
57.1K 1K 16
What would the ALDC be like if there was another girl that had Abby's favoritism?
248K 3.7K 149
McKayla Ziegler born September 30th twin sister to Maddie and older sister to Mackenzie grew up dancing at the Abby Lee Dance Company, when an excit...
699K 10.6K 154
Melanie Victoria Ziegler is the third and youngest daughter of Kurt Ziegler and Melissa Gisoni. She has two older sisters, Maddie and Kenzie. Mel has...