Trapped Behind Words: InuOkko

By Jengmaru

Yuta, a young manz is burdened by the memories of a tragic childhood event. When he meets Toge, who is nonver... More

Chapter 1: Yuta
Chapter 2: Toge
Chapter 3: Carnival
Chapter 4: Intruder
Chapter 5: Brother
Chapter 7: Pizza
Chapter 8: Unintentional
Chapter 9: Neighbor
Chapter 10: Sweet
Chapter 11: Savory
Chapter 12: Junpei
Chapter 13: Yuji
Chapter 14: Again
Chapter 15: Tired
Chapter 16: Books
Chapter 17: Blades
Chapter 18: Remember
Chapter 19: Alone
Chapter 20: Together
Chapter 21: Drawing
Chaper 22: Connect
Chapter 23: Riko
Chapter 24: Demon
Chapter 25: Women
Chapter 26: Brotherhood
Chapter 27: Date
Chapter 28: Morning
Chapter 29: Tea
Chapter 30: Shower
Chapter 31: Two Words

Chapter 6: Painted

737 21 66
By Jengmaru

The day had come. Toge prepared himself to visit Yuta. He decided it would be best to be more natural - no contact lenses, no hair gel, only Inumaki Toge. He packed a light bag, mainly consisting of his Switch and various clothing items. It wasn't guaranteed that he would be spending the night, but it was definitely an option Toge was more than willing to take.

Gojo's warning came in three separate texts. None of them told Toge not to go to Yuta's, but they all insisted on taking time for healing. Judging by his interest in Yuta, it was more than likely they had spoken, and Yuta naively mentioned the hangout. Toge believed it wasn't time to heal if Yuta didn't get to make his own decisions. Fragile or not, the black-haired man was an adult.

After the meeting on Tuesday, Yuta had sent several videos that hit Toge in the sweet spot. It felt too good to be true. It felt like Yuta was designed to taunt him. Truthfully, Toge baited Yuta into sending a voice memo of his laughter. The blond knew it wasn't the right thing to do and probably broke some kind of ethical code, but he wasn't a doctor, so he didn't care. Gojo wasn't even a doctor; he had his graduate's degree in psychology, but that was not a doctorate degree.

Toge found himself replaying Yuta's laughter when he wanted to feel happier. It was Thursday, and he listened to the message thirty-seven times. But who was counting? He was.

The thought of taking an Uber or Lyft was slightly bothersome, but it could be overlooked. Toge knew what he wanted, and when that was the case, there was nothing stopping him from attempting to reach it. The blond planned his outfit ahead of time. Yuta seemed to pay a bit more attention to him when he was in shorts and a tank top, so he took inspiration from the carnival look and decided to wear a similar pair of athletic shorts in light gray and a black muscle tee that cuffed above the bicep.

Thoroughness was the name of the game. When Yuta came over, Toge was in his own territory, so placing himself in Yuta's domain would be an adjustment. These minor appearance changes would all help him gain some more footing in Yuta's innate home.

"On my way," Toge sent the message to Yuta as the Lyft driver arrived outside.

The drive was much shorter than the way to the carnival, so it wouldn't be too bad. Yuta was so sweet when Toge thought about it. On the way to the carnival, Yuta held his hand. There was no way for the black-haired boy to realize that the blond had anxiety about social driving, but somehow he did. Yuta's hands were so soft and warm that Toge wanted to touch them again.

The driver was in a small blue sedan. He didn't seem like the talkative type, which was way easier than someone asking about Toge's plans. Though he always left a note about his inability to speak, drivers would still try to strike up a conversation. When this happened, it was difficult to convey that he didn't talk, so he opted to wear headphones the entire time and avoid the possibility. He would rather seem antisocial than deal with explaining his disability.

While the ride was short, it was still awkward, as all ride shares were. The driver was fairly vocal about other drivers on the road - while most of his comments were quiet and under his breath, they were still present. Headphones seemed like overkill for the ride, but they were more necessary than Toge expected. He kept his composure, the same way Gojo - out of all people - had taught him. The goal of these rides was the destination, so that was what the blond tried to focus on: Yuta's apartment, or more importantly, Yuta.

Once they approached, Toge began to understand Yuta's situation a little bit better. The complex was small and rather dirty. More importantly, it was located on the side of town Toge was always warned about. His parents weren't from the city, but they lived in the same district, so when Toge decided to move, they did their research.

From an address alone, Toge wasn't able to tell, but seeing the yellowed grass and rural mistreated bricks jogged his memory. There was no gunfire though, no sirens, not even a gang of teens. If Yuta could survive in that area, then there was no way it was nearly as bad as his parents had outlined.

When the vehicle came to a rolling stop, Toge bolted from the seat with his bag in hand. Oddly, the air smelled cleaner, which, based on the caked brown window screens on the building, was unlikely. He pulled his phone from his pocket, but before he could send a message, a large hand slapped his shoulder.

Toge yelped, frightened, then turned to see the familiar pale face of Gojo. "Did you just take an Uber?"

Toge nodded, still recovering from the jump scare.

"Committed. Proud of you for that. Definition of progress," Gojo said, tilting the small round sunglasses that protected his pale blue eyes.

Gojo was in a t-shirt, which was a first. The man usually stuck to wearing more elaborate outfits. It was a deep royal blue, similar to the color of Yuta's eyes. Surely, the black-haired man was sitting on his hands waiting for the blond.

"Yuta said you were on your way. Figured we had more time," Gojo scratched the back of his head.

More time for what? Were they all planning something? Surprises were never something Toge found himself particularly enjoying, but a surprise from Yuta might have been interesting. It was difficult to see on Gojo's pale skin, but there was a dusting of off-white paint. A Swiss coffee variant that was slightly warmer.

"The walls are definitely still wet. Don't touch them. It's been years since I used a paint sprayer, and I really don't want to have to power it up again," Gojo smiled.

Was this Gojo's plan from the last meeting? Was it just some way to paint anyone's house that said they wanted it? Was it just for Yuta? Gojo usually had some kind of motive; that's what Toge remembered his parents saying when they first met.

"Luckily, I only have to do this for Yuta. He asked if I could help him with a project. Didn't think it would be so labor-intensive," Gojo said.

From behind Toge, a voice called, "Hey Gojo, did you say to take the plaster to your office, or did you want me to leave it at Yuta's?"

Standing in a yellow tank top splattered in paint was the pink-haired Itadori. He filled out the shirt well, far better than Toge thought he could himself. Suddenly, planning an outfit seemed silly. The mountain of anxiety he left in the Uber quickly caught up.

"Oh, Inumaki, right?" Itadori said with a friendly smile.

The blond huffed and nodded.

"Yuta said you were on your way. Gojo said you would walk, so I didn't think we'd meet. Well, if you're homies with Yuta, you're cool with me," Itadori said, holding onto a large white tub.

Gojo replied to the question, "Take it to my office."

Another familiar voice called out, "Gojo, did you want me to drive the sprayer back to the paint store or what?"

Fushiguro was in a black t-shirt that was spotless. A matching black jacket hung over his shoulder as his spiked hair began to droop with sweat. His eyes widened seeing Toge, a similar reaction the blond had.

"Inumaki. Didn't expect you to be here so soon," he said.

Did these people have no faith in him conquering his hatred of public transportation? Maki thought she was the strong one of the original three, and Megumi always acted like he was above it all. Inumaki knew that out of the three of them, Megumi was the most likely to make progress, but it seemed like the spiky-haired man didn't have the same level of confidence in him.

"Yeah, I'll go with you to return it," Gojo said.

"Okay, I'll be waiting in the car. Good to see you, Inumaki," Megumi said with his standard stern face.

As the spiky-haired man left in the distance, Gojo said, "He doesn't want anyone to know, but he moved into the bedroom of my place here."

Inumaki wiped his neck around in confusion.

"Yeah, I keep a place here. Near the community center. Didn't know I would end up so close to so many of my future patrons."

Megumi moved into Gojo's unused apartment? Next to Maki, he was the most prominent on the Gojo Satoru hate train. He seemed to also have some kind of conflict with Itadori, so the two living near each other felt like a form of disaster.

"He's too proud to tell you this, but Megumi has made some real strides in his progress. Actually, all of you have, even Yaga Masamichi. Saw him at the store without his panda, kind of crazy," Gojo said.

What did that mean for Maki? Did she make contact with her sister too? They had been meeting for a few months, and it felt like no one was getting anything from Gojo. Most of his advice was generic - breathing exercises, visualization, noticing surroundings. But in the last month, his therapy became more unusual, but it did feel more like a family.

"I honestly think it's Yuta. He's given me a new lease on life. Y'know? Thought I was alone in the world, but we're blood. It's nice being part of a family," Gojo said.

Toge nodded in agreement. Yuta had definitely made an impact on the blond's life.

"We're basically done. I might drop by later to get a few things, but Yuta is really excited to see you," Gojo said.

It was weird to hear the tone shift in the pale man's voice. Last time they talked, he was telling Toge to stay away from Yuta, but now it was like he was fine with the idea. What changed? Did Yuta have that much of an affect on him?

"Yuta told me all about his plan to see you. Since it was his idea and all, I don't see a problem with it. I guess I have to face that in this place, I should trust him. Plus, it has to be against some law for me to interfere with his life directly. I'm certain," Gojo crossed his arms.

Toge stared blankly. What was he supposed to do?

Gojo switched to sign language, "I still stand by what I said. Don't insert yourself into his life. Let him decide what he wants."

Toge signed back, "I know. You're right. We did make some progress."

"What kind of progress?" Gojo signed, seeming more curious than before.

Yuta's voice rang from behind the blond, "Oh my god! Inumaki! You made it! You're so early! I didn't get a chance to change."

His eyes were as dark as the ocean. His hair was pushed back with sweat, revealing his pale forehead. The bags under his eyes were mostly faded, but they still carried their charming level of exhaustion. The Yuta that approached was the confident form, the rare but invigorating side of the black-haired man that came in intervals.

He was wearing a baggy charcoal shirt and black gym shorts. Were they even his clothes? They dwarfed Yuta's body. It was like a child wearing hand-me-downs, but it worked for him. He was smiling as he lifted the edge of the shirt slightly, tying it into a knot to shorten the length.

That small action gave Toge a brief but definite view of Yuta's slim waist. His pale side was slightly exposed, and Toge couldn't pull his eyes away. The blond struggled to distract himself from the sight, berating himself for acting like they lived in a Puritan village.

"Would you mind if I hugged you?" Yuta asked, with dried paint just above his left eye.

With that, Gojo walked away. A hug? From Yuta? Most definitely something Toge didn't expect but wanted. In response, the blond held open his arms. When their bodies met, it was the first time they had touched in a while. Yuta was bonier than he expected, but Toge didn't mind at all.

Yuta's smell was buried under the odor of fresh paint and must. How much did they do? Toge thought the process was intensive but couldn't imagine needing four people for a paint job. Yuta's scent was faint, but it was definitely present beneath the layers.

Yuta spoke while they were still embracing, "Did you take an Uber here?"

Toge begrudgingly released the hug and nodded.

"Awesome! Just means we get to hang out longer. Come on, I'll show you my place." Yuta said.

When Yuta had talked about his apartment in the past, there was a sense of hatred for it. Not as much anger, but loneliness. Toge didn't think that Yuta would be so chipper. It was as if something had changed. Was it Itadori? Did they connect after all? The pink-haired man didn't seem like he was particularly interested in hanging around while Toge was visiting. Was Itadori just confident that Yuta wouldn't stray from the path?

Toge knew he was getting ahead of himself. Too many assumptions, that is what Gojo said his weakness was. It was difficult to not assess a situation. Every sound was easy to hear, every catalyst for basic stimulation heightened. Toge knew it to be his edge.

Yuta proceeded to pull Toge by the hand, just as the blond had done during the tour of his apartment. All of the units at Yuta's complex were disheveled. Leaves were built up in drainage areas, paint was peeling from doors. How did Yuta survive in such a rundown place?

Once they arrived at the black-haired man's apartment, the paint odor was stronger. It would be an adjustment, but it was worth it. Yuta opened the door and kicked off his shoes, with Toge replicating the activity. Sure enough, the walls were coated in the warm white color that was smeared on the men.

"Gojo said I needed to choose something the apartment wouldn't care about. So I went with this. It's a small change, but it feels better," Yuta said.

His living room was in disarray with blue painters tape on the ceiling and trim. A small lemon tree was propped up by a dowel and sat in a pot on a cool-toned wooden coffee table. There was a bookshelf that was primarily empty, but had some manga and a few figures. Other than that, the room was mostly empty.

"I moved the couches and TV into my bedroom while we painted today. Gojo and Itadori broke in and painted my bedroom while I was at work yesterday. After I had the locks changed too," Yuta said, sounding defeated but also thankful.

Did that mean if Toge did spend the night they would be in the same room? Toge didn't plan for that. Sure, they wouldn't be in the same bed, but it was still a whole other factor that never crossed his mind.

"Come on, I'll show you," Yuta said.

They walked through the mostly empty living room and into the carpeted bedroom. Yuta's bed was small, a full-size at most. There were two couches stuffed into the bedroom that would have otherwise been quite large. He had a dresser in the corner that appeared to be older. There were, however, a few small pieces of paper sitting on top of the chest of drawers that Toge couldn't make out from a distance.

Yuta turned to look at Toge and began to do extremely sloppy sign language, "What do you think?"

How long had he been trying to learn sign language? Toge never used it as a primary source of communication, but it did come in handy. Part of his communications therapy in school focused on using signing instead of speaking. His mother had used sign language more than his father did, but that was the difference between the two of them.

"You know sign language?" Toge signed back.

Yuta switched to speaking, "I only know a little. I was reading that it was used in schools for people who were nonverbal. I saw you using some when I was at your house. So I started watching some videos."

He learned it just to talk to Toge? The blond blushed. It was a relief that there was at least some clearer communication between them, but Toge knew it wasn't a complete fallback. He wished he could do something similar for Yuta, if only he could speak. Just a little. One word would be enough to show Toge's commitment.

Yuta signed slightly better, "Hi, my name is Okkotsu Yuta. You can call me Yuta."

Without a deaf person around, Yuta didn't have a signed name. Instead, he painstakingly made every letter of his name slowly. Despite the slowness, he did it all correctly. The black-haired man smiled, and it was contagious. Toge found himself grinning as well. The blond was so proud of Yuta for trying to bridge the gap - a clear sign he wanted to be around each other more.

"I don't know about you, but I am starving," Yuta said.

Toge signed back while nodding, "Me too."

Yuta watched intently before copying the sign. His pale hand moved slowly through the air with a slight jitter. He was really trying his hardest. Toge felt his face go red and his stomach stir. There was something different about Yuta in that moment. Toge wished he could hug the man again, but that would have been too forward. The blond was trying to understand what made him want to touch Yuta so badly.

"Would you want pizza? I'll pay since you're at my place," Yuta said.

Toge nodded but signed, "I'll pay."

Yuta stared at him for a moment, "You what?"

Toge pulled his wallet from his pocket and signed slower, "I'll pay."

"No, you are the guest," Yuta said. He switched to sign language and repeated the phrase, "I'll pay."

It was no offense to the black-haired man, but Toge was certain that between the two of them, Toge made more money. With the minimal amount of stuff in his apartment and the apartment's location, there was no way Yuta had the money to spend so freely.

Gojo's words echoed in Toge's head. Yuta didn't have anyone to fall back on besides Gojo, of course. He had no parents to help if he needed rent assistance; he had no one around to make sure he ate. Toge didn't want to deprive Yuta of something just so they could eat pizza. Saying that would be rude. Toge remembered his parents saying never to bring up someone else's finances.

"Are you sure?" Toge signed.

Yuta replied in a slightly more dominant tone, "I'll pay."

Maybe he was doing fine. Maybe Yuta saved a lot living in such a small place. He could have been saving for a future or just didn't have something to spend money on. The idea that Yuta was somehow depleting himself just to entertain twisted Toge's guts.

"It's actually funny. When Itadori came over, we got Chinese food. I offered to pay then, but it ended up being free. The delivery guy was super strange. He said he liked Itadori's taste in women, so we got the food for free."

Itadori liked women? That was a relief. If he was so public about it that even a delivery man knew, then surely there was nothing between him and Itadori. On the other hand, it could have been a tactic to avoid a conversation about their relationship.

Yuta said, "I just met the guy, but he's actually pretty cool. Didn't think I would get along with Fushiguro either, but he was nice too."

Toge's intestines calmed. That was slightly more confirmation that there was nothing between Yuta and Itadori. They lived near each other, and Itadori could show up unexpectedly at any point. It was still unsettling that he would be so close. Yuta's voice recording echoed in Toge's mind. At least Toge had that.

"Are you okay with pepperoni, mushrooms, and bell peppers?" Yuta asked, pulling his phone from his pocket.

Toge nodded.

"Nothing else? Extra cheese? Stuffed crusts?" Yuta asked.

Maybe money really wasn't an issue. Such an elaborate pizza wouldn't be cheap, especially with the added delivery fees. Yuta was so confident in his order too, but it wasn't super controversial. Toge was just glad they didn't have to have a conversation about pineapple on pizza.

Toge shook his head, instantly regretting that he didn't say yes to the stuffed crust.

Yuta typed on his phone, then said, "Okay, ordered."

Toge gave him a thumbs up.

"Could you do me a favor?" Yuta asked.

Toge signed, "What?"

"Could you go to the kitchen, in my fridge there's a bottle. Go ahead and get it out. It's just something I picked up from the store. I need to change into something more... presentable," Yuta said.

Toge nodded, leaving the room. The blond expected Yuta to close the bedroom door as he left, but it wasn't shut. Finding the kitchen was easy in such a small place, and after being exposed to the paint fumes for a few minutes, they were hardly noticeable.

His fridge was surprisingly new. It was stainless steel with minimal scratches and a few magnets from the same restaurant, which must have been where he worked. They were holding different receipt clippings from various big-box stores. Each was a barcode with a coupon for a few dollars off. However, one of the magnets was holding up a familiar piece of paper.

It was the note Toge had given Yuta the first day they met. Toge recognized his own handwriting and phone number, as well as the doodle man that he drew. Yuta saved it. The blond blushed, opening the refrigerator door to see a tall bottle of light pink wine. It was a light moscato that claimed to taste like cake. Yuta said he wasn't a fan of the alcohol flavor, so hopefully, the wine wasn't lying.

The blond was expecting a mixed drink or a wine cooler, not straight-up wine. Where were the cups? Instinctually, Toge opened the cabinet closest to the fridge, and there stood two pristine wine glasses. Did he buy these too? Yuta was proving Toge to be ignorant of his situation. Gojo had said something similar but didn't expect the white-haired man to be correct.

Did Yuta want him to pour them a glass? It was just a twist cap bottle, so there was no corkscrew needed. However, the bottle was unopened. Yuta should be the one to open it, even though he asked Toge to make the glasses. Something about pouring the alcohol again felt wrong.

The first time they met, Toge wanted to try and loosen up the tension, but that was at his house. That was his vodka. Toge didn't want to make Yuta feel like every time they drank, Toge would be drunk. Not that Toge minded him drinking, but the association of hanging out with alcohol was a little off-putting.

Toge decided to retreat to Yuta's room. Letting the black-haired man pour the wine would let him control the situation. When Toge entered the room, he heard a sink faucet shut off. Yuta exited the bathroom in the far corner only in his underwear.

Yuta froze, noticing Toge's presence. His body was slender as expected. A thin line separated his small chest and continued down to his navel. Toge held his gaze above the waist, though it proved to be more difficult every nanosecond they stood in place.

The black-haired man dove into the closet, "Sorry! I'm used to being alone."

Toge ran out of the bedroom and closed the door with a slam. He hoped this would be enough for Yuta to realize he wasn't in the room. The doorknob quickly rattled, and Yuta burst into the corridor where his bedroom door was located, still in his underwear.

"No, Toge wait!" Yuta yelled.

The black-haired man turned his head to see the blond standing to the side. Did Yuta expect him to leave? Was Yuta really going to chase after him in only his underwear? They were light gray and form-fitting. Toge couldn't resist taking at least one peek.

"You didn't leave," Yuta said, sighing with relief.

Toge tried to hold his gaze above the belt and signed, "Why would I?"

Yuta blushed. The black-haired man jumped back into the bedroom and shut the door. Maybe Yuta needed the wine more than expected. He may have seemed more put together at first, but the side of Yuta that Toge had become accustomed to was making an appearance.

The underwear was very revealing. Toge felt butterflies swarming in his stomach as he pictured them. What was he doing? Ogling at a friend? Memorizing every contour of Yuta's pale, soft skin? Toge felt like he needed a drink even more than Yuta at that point.

Yuta emerged from his bedroom fully dressed. He was wearing a white t-shirt and black pants. It was a little disappointing, but Toge couldn't figure out why. Yuta saw the empty glasses in the kitchen and walked over to them.

"Sorry about that. I'm just so used to living alone and not having anyone around that I didn't think about it. I was focused on changing. This isn't even what I was going to put on," Yuta said.

Toge signed, "No worries."

"What does that mean? No worries? I need to remember that one. Do it again," Yuta said.

The smile had returned to his face. Toge did as requested, and Yuta followed behind. He knew the sign for the word "no," which was easy enough. It was just trying to display "worries" that was difficult.

"I bought this wine for us. I hope it's good," Yuta said.

"Me too," Toge signed.

"I tried some at work. Actually, I have been trying a lot of things lately. New foods, new drinks, even new clothes. I couldn't find them, though, so I am wearing this," Yuta admitted.

Did he really buy the wine just for them? Yuta cracked the cap open and poured the wine into the two glasses. It looked to be roughly five ounces. Made sense that he could do it so perfectly while working in a restaurant.

"I bought these wine glasses too," Yuta said.

He held one out to Toge; never did wine seem so appealing. It smelled sweet, but Yuta must have put on more deodorant as well. The fumes from him carried across the glass-a welcome scent.

I haven't told Gojo or anyone this. I wanted you to be the first to know. I started a mixology program. After we hung out at your place, I decided I wanted a change. More money. I get to do a lot of the schooling through my job, and even apprentice for the bartender we have," Yuta smiled.

Toge blushed and gave him a thumbs up with his free hand.

"You inspired me. I wanted you to know that. Well, you and that vodka," Yuta laughed.

Toge felt his smile grow.

"I've been making more tips, and since I help with the bar, I got a raise. Things have been better," Yuta said.

"I'm glad," Toge signed, except he changed the word to "happy," hoping it would make more sense for Yuta.

"Well, let's make a toast. If you are okay with that," Yuta said.

Toge nodded.

"Okay, this glass is to both of our futures," Yuta said, holding the glass out.

Toge hoped that he would say something along the lines of "to their future," but it was a good toast regardless. They clinked the glasses together and each took a sip. It was as sweet as it smelled. Nothing about the flavor resembled a wine.

Toge grabbed the bottle from the counter and started reading it over. It was still twelve percent alcohol. He was expecting something closer to five with how it tasted. Truly a strange feeling to drink something so sweet that was so alcoholic.

"Wow. Okay. Let's put the bottle away until I get food in my stomach. I could drink it like juice," Yuta giggled to himself.

Toge nodded in agreement.

"I saw your bag, what did you bring?" Yuta asked before chugging the rest of his glass.

Toge signed, "Just games."

"Your Switch?" Yuta asked.

Toge nodded.

"I have a request. Two really. I want to beat you in Smash. But I was wondering if you would want to watch a movie?" Yuta asked.

Toge signed, "What movie?"

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Yuta asked.

Toge repeated the signs, "What movie?"

"I don't know the second word. Can you spell it?" Yuta asked.

"M-O-V-I-E, what movie?" Toge gladly repeated himself a third time.

"Oh! Honestly, I have no idea. I've been doing this thing where I watch a kids' movie that I missed out on since Tuesday. We can do that, or we can do something more recent if it's on Netflix."

"I have Hulu and Max," Toge spelled the names of the other services.

"Oh, you wouldn't mind logging in?" Yuta asked.

Toge shook his head with a smile and signed, "It's okay."

"Then I guess we have more options. Wanna play a few rounds of Smash while we wait for food?"

Toge didn't respond. He simply walked into the bedroom and grabbed the Switch and dock from his bag. The TV was propped in front of the couch on a table. It was much smaller than Toge was used to playing on, but it would be an easy adaptation.

Yuta followed behind silently. He sat down on the couch and watched Toge as he searched for plugs and outlets. Toge could feel those ocean blue eyes on his back. There was a thought that Yuta was possibly looking him over, but Toge dismissed it as half egoism and half wishful thinking.

When the blond turned around, Yuta's face was red. Maybe the black-haired man actually was checking him out. Given the work Toge put into appearing low effort, the idea was welcome.

Toge sat down next to Yuta, leaving about a hand's length between their knees. As he handed Yuta the black controller, their hands met again. The blond expected it to be the same as it had been. A warm and calming touch, but that wasn't the case. Yuta's fingers were fiery. They felt as if they were going to burn through his skin, but they were so appealing.

"You look nice," Yuta blurted out.

Toge blushed.

"I mean... You look nice today," Yuta turned red.

Toge signed, "You too. You look good."

Was this his tactic to win? Act awkward and give Toge compliments? Yuta might have found a sweet spot, but he would not win. The match was the same as it had been. Yuta lost every round and managed to dramatically improve every time they restarted.

They only played five rounds before there was a knock at the door. Toge was used to the typical doorbell, but the apartment must have been too old for one. Yuta looked surprised as he wrinkled his brow.

"That was fast. The app said thirty minutes, it's only been like fifteen."

The black-haired man stood and walked to the door. Toge figured it would be a good idea to follow. There was always a chance that whoever was at the door was Gojo, and if Itadori had taken on the traits of the white-haired haunted man, he could have been at the door too.

Didn't they know that it was Toge's turn? They made the plans in advance and everything. If Gojo interfered at this level, Toge was sure he would kill the smirk-faced white-haired man. Yuta was an adult, trauma or not.

Yuta opened the door, and almost instantly jumped backward. Toge couldn't see the black-haired man's face, but his body was rigid. Something wasn't right. Yuta's fist was clenched, and the minimal muscle he had was tense.

"Hello, sorry to bother you on such a... night. Do you, by any chance, know where Gojo Satoru is?" a male voice spoke.

It was familiar. There were notes of sweetness and venom as he spoke. Nothing about the almost soothing voice was malevolent, but it didn't sit well in Toge's stomach. Standing in the empty living room left the blond completely exposed to the doorway, but he hoped that whoever was at the door couldn't see him.

"I stopped by his apartment and a Zen'in... I mean, Fushiguro boy was nice enough to tell me that you might know where he was," every word the man spoke was drowned in his throat through layers of self-importance.

Yuta didn't respond. He was too tense. His cheeks were frozen, his mouth didn't move. From the diagonal, Toge could see his jaw trembling. That was the only angle Toge could see who was at the door.

The man was tall, his hair was long and weaved into elaborately detailed buns and beaded with ceramic balls. His eyes were slightly purple with no reflections off of them. There was no questioning it, the man at the door was Geto Suguru.

Geto's pupils moved to stare at Toge, "Oh, is that one of the Inumaki clutch I see? A snake never follows far behind Gojo. I don't suppose you'd be able to answer me? Of course, you could if it wasn't for such a dreadful affliction. Isn't that right?"

Yuta crumbled to the ground. His body collapsed, but he caught himself on his palms. There was a brief silence where Toge was able to see the full outline of Geto's body. It was just as it was during his childhood. Toge remembered his parents saying that Geto was all about appearances, but he didn't expect the man to show up in a fully tailored suit when approaching an old apartment building like this.

"You are Okkotsu Yuta, correct? I hate to have bothered the wrong person. Do you suffer from the same debilitating weakness as your friend here?" Geto's gaze fixated on Yuta.

Tears formed in Yuta's ocean eyes and fell to the vinyl flooring. His face was fixed in a grimace while looking upward. Geto was unfazed; if anything, he was confused and seemingly annoyed that no one was answering his simple question.

Toge tightened his fist. Seeing Yuta's tears, the remanence of something untold, Toge felt his body move without anticipation. Within a second, he had bolted between Yuta and Geto. The only thing the blond could feel was an unbridled rage. "The gentlest people are those who have endured the horrors of the world." That was something Geto said to Toge's parents.

The second half of Geto's anecdote echoed between Toge's silenced lips. A beast like that wasn't dead, it was only sleeping, waiting to be awakened. Toge felt his lips part, he bared his inherent fangs-a quiet but vicious smile of survival as the blond shielded Yuta with his slim frame.

"Leave," Toge said aloud.

Geto's brows raised, "Not as sheepish as those you are related to. All I am is a man searching for a dear old friend."

Toge's vocal cords tightened, "Leave!"

Geto looked around the empty room again, "Well, it appears he isn't here. Best be on my way. I appreciate the help."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 4.7K 39
WELCOME - this is all my jjk stuff written so far from my tumblr @ch0s0 - all gn!reader and all sfw thats really about it, there r spelling and gramm...
694K 36.7K 41
❝𝐅𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄❞ -@keikaminari - date: 05/01/2021 𝐒𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐘𝐎𝐔 ╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- -ˏˋ...
31.7K 1K 23
[𝙐𝙉𝘿𝙀𝙍 𝙃𝙀𝘼𝙑𝙔 𝙍𝙀-𝙀𝘿𝙄𝙏 ~ 𝙍𝙀𝙏𝙐𝙍𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙎𝙊𝙊𝙉]   ━━━━━━━━━━━━  [ ᴠᴀʀɪᴏᴜꜱ! ᴊᴜᴊᴜᴛꜱᴜ ᴋᴀɪꜱᴇɴ x ꜰᴇᴍᴀʟᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ]   ━━━━━━━━━━━━  [𝐍𝐀...
3.5K 48 13
Returning to your old Jujutsu School to help out as an assistant teacher doesn't sound so bad, right? But when you have to work with the Guy that bro...