FROSTBITE • mikaelson mate

Da silent-flames

"Nothing burns like the cold." - In which Morgana finds herself in a confusing situation with all the mikae... Altro

frostbite
prologue: snow and ash
part one: mystic falls
chapter one: tea and butterflies
chapter two: explanations and adventures
chapter three: serenity
chapter four: calm and cruel
chapter five: reluctant revelations
chapter six: heartache
chapter seven: miracles
chapter eight: escaping problems
chapter nine: arguments and resolutions
chapter ten: a welcome change
chapter eleven: exploring and explaining
chapter twelve: dreams and wishes
chapter thirteen: finding klaus
chapter fourteen: blameless
chapter fifteen: chaos ensued
chapter seventeen: hunting and insanity
chapter eighteen: an unwelcome visitor
chapter nineteen: the plan
chapter twenty: the rescue
chapter twenty one: rapture
chapter twenty two: the lockwood mansion
chapter twenty three: taken
chapter twenty four: the sacrifice
chapter twenty five: depression
part two: road trip
chapter twenty six: werewolf hunting
chapter twenty seven: a broken man
chapter twenty eight: the chase
chapter twenty nine: chicago

chapter sixteen: repercussions

8.8K 321 26
Da silent-flames

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
repercussions

Fear enveloped me as I sat in the fetal position, awaiting my evident demise.

I squeezed my eyes closed and held a hand over my mouth to muffle the panicked sobs that threatened to escape me. My heart pounded so hard that I feared he'd hear it through the flimsy plywood of the wardrobe. My chosen hiding place was nearly pitch black. A slither of light from where the door hadn't completed shut was the only thing saving me from total darkness. I'd always been afraid of the dark but I knew that it was a better alternative to him.

"Pretty flower, hair so red,
Cut your stem and now you're dead."

The twisted lyrics were sung in a similar tune to a children's nursery rhyme. I bit my lip hard and a metallic taste flooded my mouth. I knew my hiding was futile, he would find me eventually. I was prolonging my torment and I knew that he was loving every minute of his depraved game.

Slow footsteps became louder and louder. I held my breath as the footsteps stopped just outside the wardrobe. Silent tears fell from my shut eyes as my hand gripped tightly onto a wire clothes hanger that I'd bent to resemble some sort of weapon. The sudden silence was terrifying and for a moment when nothing happened, I thought I might be safe.

Then the door flew open.

My eyes opened as a scream escaped my lips. I looked around the room in panic, not knowing where I was. After a moment of shallow breaths I realised I was in Klaus' bedroom. It was only a nightmare of a cruel memory I'd had no desire to relive.

The door flew open and Elijah and Klaus sped into the room, looking around for an assailant. When they found nobody, they turned to see me sat up in bed with tears staining my eyes. Henrik ran into the room and took one look at me before realising that I'd screamed due to a nightmare and not because I was being attacked.

He rushed over and sat on the bed and waited for me to indicate what I needed him to do. After some nightmares I needed comfort and cuddles whereas after others, I couldn't stand to be touched. I reached my arms towards him and he instantly embraced me.

My other mates awkwardly stood at the other end of the room, not quite knowing what to do. They knew how to protect me but they didn't know how to comfort me. I couldn't blame them for that since they barely knew me.

"I want to go home." I whispered as I clutched Henrik tightly.

"Back to England?" He questioned and I shook my head.

"No, back to the hotel." I clarified, "Although I do miss our house."

"Let's get you back to the hotel then." Henrik said, standing up and gently pulling me up with him, "And we won't stay here forever, we'll go back to England soon."

I gave him a small smile as he took my hand and led me out of the room. Klaus and Elijah followed and they were engaged in a hushed conversation. My heart had finally stopped pounding from the nightmare but the words still echoed in my mind.

"Pretty flower, hair so red,
Cut your stem and now you're dead."

***

It was nearly seven in the morning when Elijah, Henrik and I returned to the hotel. Klaus had decided to stay behind, claiming to have a few loose ends to tie up. I was disappointed by this but he promised that he would join us soon. Henrik instantly went to his room to sleep, mumbling something about how not even coffee could keep him awake. I wasn't tired so I sat with Elijah in the kitchen, waiting for the kettle to boil.

"How would you like to come to Mystic Falls with me? I need to meet with a lovely woman named Jenna and I'd love it if you joined me." Elijah asked and my heart sank at the way he described her. I knew that he was and would always be faithful to me, but that didn't stop the small feelings of insecurity that whispered that I wasn't good enough for him.

"I'd love to finally go to Mystic Falls," I said with a smile before bitterly adding, "How could I possibly pass on a chance to meet the lovely Jenna."

"Jenna is helping me with some research on Mystic Falls," Elijah explained, "And she is nowhere near as lovely as you are, my dear mate."

I blushed as I stood to pour the tea, "Should I make the tea to go then?" Elijah stood, walked over to a draw and pulled out two disposable cups.

"Jenna is under the impression that I am an author," Elijah explained to me as I handed him his tea, "She's human so don't mention anything out of the ordinary."

"May I ask what she's helping you research?"

"Mainly the history of the town during 1860 when Mystic Falls was officially founded, despite the fact that it was originally settled by Vikings." He told me as we walked to the car.

"So by you and your family?"

"And many other families." He added.

"It's hard to think of you as a Viking. You don't exactly look like the ones portrayed on TV." I said with a teasing grin.

Elijah chuckled, "Don't always believe what you watch on television. Besides, that was centuries ago so I have changed quite a bit. I used to have long hair."

"No way!" I said gaping at him, trying to picture it. He touched my arm to send me an image and I burst out laughing, "Your hair was longer than mine!"

"It was fashionable at the time." Elijah grinned.

I laughed and continued to do so as we got in the car and headed for Mystic Falls.

***

Jenna greeted us at the edge of a forest and Elijah introduced me as his girlfriend, which made my face heat. Jenna was lovely and I followed her and Elijah as they walked, listening to them whilst looking around.

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence." Jenna explained.

"Ah, the Fells. One of the founding families." Elijah said in a mocking tone.

"Why do you say it like that?" Jenna asked.

"My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. There was a migration of townsfolk from the Northeast. It was Salem, to be precise." He informed her.

"Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" Jenna questioned.

"Which means the ever-lauded founding families didn't actually found anything." Elijah declared and I suppressed a grin at his words.

"Well, I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders back in 1860. Men are very territorial." She replied as we came to a stop.

"Yes, they are." Elijah replied as an unfamiliar man approached.

"Elijah, Morgana, this is my friend Alaric Saltzman." Jenna introduced us.

"I got your, uh, message about walking them through the old property lines, I thought I would tag along, you know, being a history buff and all." Alaric said, "Where to next?"

"I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners. Some say the descendants of slaves are the true keepers of American history." Elijah said and I frowned at the tension I felt between the group.

"I only brought the surveys. I've got a list in my car, just give me a second." Jenna said walking in the direction of her car.

"Morgana, why don't you go with her?" Elijah suggested. I eyes him and Alaric and decided that it was probably best so I hurried after Jenna.

Elijah joined us some moments later and Jenna suggested that we go to The Grill to grab something to eat and I nodded very enthusiastically.

***

"Hi!" A black haired man called from a table as we entered The Grill. He sat with Alaric and a woman I didn't recognise.

"Hey, guys!" Jenna greeted them with a bright smile.

"So, I hear you had quite a meeting of the historical minds today." The man said conversationally.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." Jenna nodded.

"Whose this?" He asked, his eyes settling on me.

"Oh, this is Morgana, she's Elijah's girlfriend!" Jenna introduced me and I gave him a forced smile.

"Elijah's girlfriend? That's interesting," he said with a smirk, "I'm Damon Salvatore." He held out a hand for me to shake but my mate pushed it away with a polite smile.

"As much as I'd like to continue this, I've got papers to grade." Alaric announced as he stood.

"You know what, we should continue this. Let's have a dinner party!" The woman sitting next to Damon suggested.

"Ooh, my girl. Full of good ideas! I'd be happy to host. Say tonight maybe?" Damon said in a way that sounds way too rehearsed.

"It's good for me! Jenna?" Damon girlfriend said cheerfully.

"No, I don't know if tonight works-" Alaric began and Jenna interrupted him.

"Yeah, I'm free."

"It would be a pleasure." Elijah said with a stiff smile.

"Great, and I assume you'll be coming with Elijah, Morgana. It will be absolutely wonderful to get to know you better." Damon said merrily and Elijah went rigid beside me.

"Actually, Morgana has plans tonight but I will see you tonight." My mate answered for me. Under different circumstances I'd have been annoyed, but based of the creepy vibe I was getting from Damon, I knew I was out of my depth. I didn't like the way Damon watched me.

After saying our goodbyes, Elijah and I sat at a table with Jenna and our food.

"So, Morgana, what plans have you got tonight?" She asked and I nearly choked on my food and I quickly tried to fabricate a lie.

"I'm spending time with Elijah's brother." I smiled, inwardly cringing.

"Oh, how lovely!" Jenna replied before joking, "If he's anything like your boyfriend here, he must be smoking hot! Is he single by any chance?"

I now felt murderous and poor Jenna was none the wiser. Elijah let out a chocked laugh and answered, "I'm afraid not."

"Well, we'll sure miss you at the dinner party." Jenna said and I smiled in thanks.

After we finished eating and Jenna left, Elijah and I walked up the street hand in hand. From what I'd seen so far, I was really liking Mystic Falls and hoped that I'd be able to spend more time exploring before going back to England. When we returned to the car, Elijah handed me the keys and I got in the drivers seat.

"I'll be home tonight." He reassured me.

"How will you get home without a car?" I asked, reluctant to leave him.

"Don't worry, I can get a taxi or even borrow one." Elijah shrugged and I nodded.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight!" I said before driving away.

But Elijah didn't return that night. I wasn't concerned at first, but as the hours went by and there was now word from him, I started to worry. When I awoke the next morning and he still hasn't returned, Henrik tried to reassure me that Elijah was fine, but I could tell that he was worried too. Then a day passed, then another day. Henrik and I went back to Mystic Falls to look but there was no sign of him. When we called Klaus to request help, it went straight to voicemail.

Just like the many years before coming here, it was just me and Henrik.

Originally published: August 9th 2023

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

55K 1.4K 37
𝙎𝙪𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙡 𝙥𝙝𝙚𝙣𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙙𝙖𝙮, 𝙈𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙘 𝙁𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙣𝙤 𝙚𝙭𝙘𝙚𝙥𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣. 𝙈𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙡...
3.6K 130 32
There was a certain allure to her, even before you knew her you could feel it pulling you towards her. Everyone in the village knew her, being in her...
7.2K 182 9
in which raine is a mikaelson and the mikaelsons stop at nothing to achieve their goals. the vampire diaries universe ...
1.5M 29.5K 56
*Not exactly a softer love romance* Nora summers didn't have a normal teenage life, as much as she sometimes wished. Her life had been normal once, u...