SERENDIPITY ~ A. Chase

By -laurelwreaths

SERENDIPITY | "She wasn't expecting serendipity. Especially, not in her life or with her enemy." โ”€the effect... More

SERENDIPITY
Playlists
Graphics
Act 1
i ~ Toilet Troubles
ii ~ Capture the Flag
iv ~ Bus Goes Boom
v ~ Killing a Snake Lady
vi ~ A Positively Precious Pink Poodle
vii ~ Kelphead Basically Dies . . . Again
viii ~ Check Fugitive Friend Off The List
ix ~ Lunch with Father Dearest
x ~ What's Black and White and Free in Vegas
xi ~ A Free Crusty Dusty Height Adjustment
xii ~ Three Heads Is Better Than One
xiii ~ We've Been Fooled, What a Surprise
xiv ~ Warpath's Dad Gets a Shower
xv ~ Frenemies Isn't the Worst
xvi ~ Betrayal By a Friend, The Worst Kind
Act 2
i ~ Bullriding At Its Finest
ii ~ There is... Some Family Resemblance
iii ~ Yay, Monstrous Man-eating Birds
iv ~ Lava is Great Dish Soap
v ~ Trespassing on the Princess Andromeda
vi ~ Well, Luke's a Bitch
vii ~ Hey Sis... Long Time No See
viii ~ Cassie and Clarisse are an Explosive Duo
ix ~ An Island of Pretty Ladies? Sign Cassie Up!
x ~ Brainiac Gets Serenaded But Not By Cass
xi ~ Trying to Avoid the Belly of the Beast
xii ~ A Cocky Cyclops Gets Caught in a Chasm
xiii ~ A Brutal Battle Between Three Brothers
xiv ~ Guess What! Luke is Back, Back Again
xv ~ Cassie Gets Yeeted and Percy's Almost Defeated
xvi ~ Lacking Letters and Chariot Racing Take Two
xvii ~ Another Pawn Comes Into Play
Act 3
i ~ Doubtful Yet Delightful Dancing
ii ~ Brainiac Falls Off A Cliff
iii ~ Pitching Camp and Troublesome Decisions
iv ~ Lesson Learned, Thalia Can't Drive
v ~ Angering the Wine Dude and Nasty Nightmares
vi ~ The Oracle Comes To Visit
vii ~ The Crew's All Together
viii ~ The Nemean Lion Gets a Nauseating Snack
ix ~ A Friendly Chat with the Fabulous 'Fred'
x ~ Saddling up the Erymanthian Boar
xi ~ Gossiping with the Goddess of Love
xii ~ Deadly Disaster in the Desert

iii ~ Quest of Death

2.2K 155 72
By -laurelwreaths

┌────── •✧• ──────┐

chapter three ˏˋ°•*⁀➷
003. Quest of Death

└────── •✧• ──────┘

Percy moved into Cabin 3. Any camper would be ecstatic to be claimed, but it just made Percy more of an outsider.

Nobody bothered to talk to him except Chiron, Grover, Annabeth, and Luke.

They were all scared after his fighting with the Ares kids and knew he was a big target for monsters.

Luke taught Percy one on one as the rest of Hermes cabin steered clear.

Connor and Travis had told Cassie lots of Cabin 11 thoughts on Percy. Many weren't so nice.

Annabeth was in charge of teaching Greek in the mornings, but most of the time she was lost in thought. She would scowl at Percy and leave lessons, murmuring under her breath.

Even Clarisse avoided Percy. She would glare venomously as he passed by, but she didn't dare do anything.

Cassie had talked to Percy once. After dinner she strolled over to Cabin 3. Knocking on the door, Cassie rocked her feet. ADHD kept her from staying still.

Percy opened the door with a curious gaze. Cassie smiled slightly trying to be friendly.

She introduced herself and came with a newspaper. "I'm Cassandra Carter, but my friends call me Cassie."

She held her hand out. Percy looked down and shook it.

"You seem pretty cool so for you Cassie it is." The brunette declared.

Percy had a small smile on his face. At least Cassie wasn't too scared to approach him.

"Um. . . I thought you might want to read this. Sorry though, you're no necessarily gonna like it." She scratched the back of her neck and mumbled something about sword practice as she ran off.

The daughter of Ares had given Percy a copy of the New York Daily News. It was about him and his mom's disappearance.

Cassie always got the newspaper to read for anything interesting.

She felt bad for Percy, so informing him on the situation of him possibly being a criminal was the best thing she could do.

༻ ─── •✧💢✧• ─── ༺

Next morning, a storm brewed over the camp. Thunder rumbled and the waves on their beach were violent. The gods weren't happy, specifically Zeus and Poseidon.

Cassie was sitting outside leaning against her cabin wall to read her book on fighting tactics as the storm grew overhead. Every once in a while she would look up concerned.

She watched as Percy and Grover walked past in the direction of the big house. Percy was pale and nervous, and Grover wasn't helping.

There, Mr. D. threatened to turn Percy into a dolphin, and he left for a meeting on Mount Olympus.

Chiron explained that Percy had to go on a quest. He couldn't give many specifics until the boy spoke with the Oracle.

He did tell Percy about the Master Bolt and the fighting between his dad and Zeus.

Percy agreed to the quest and went upstairs to speak to the Oracle. He got his prophecy and it wasn't that good. Especially the last lines.

When he tried to ask for clarification he was met with silence. Percy knew his audience with the Oracle was over and he headed back downstairs.

༻ ─── •✧💢✧• ─── ༺

Percy slumped into his chair.

"Well?" Chiron inquired.

Percy frowned. "She said I would retrieve what was stolen.

Grover leaned forward with excitement. "That's great!" He managed whilst chewing a can.

"What did the Oracle say exactly? This is important." Chiron urged.

"She. . . she said I would go west and face a god who has turned. I would retrieve what was stolen and see it safely returned."

"I knew it," Grover blurted.

"Anything else?" Chiron questioned.

Percy didn't want to tell him. He didn't have many friends so which one would betray him.

Also the Oracle was sending him on a quest and telling him he would just fail in the end. What kind of help was that?

"No, that's about it," Percy lied.

Chiron didn't push. "Very well, Percy. But know this: the Oracle's words often have double meanings. Don't dwell on them too much. True truth is not always clear until events come to pass."

Percy changed the topic. "Okay. So, where do I go?" Who's this god in the west?"

"Ah, think, Percy. If Zeus and Poseidon weaken each other in war, who stands to gain?"

"Somebody else who wants to take over?" was his guess.

"Yes, quite. Someone who harbors a grudge, who has been unhappy with his lot since the worlds war divided eons ago, whose kingdom would grow powerful with the deaths of millions. Someone who hates his brothers for forcing him into an oath to have no more children. An oath that both of them have now broken."

Percy thought about the underground voice from his dreams, "Hades."

Chiron nodded in confirmation. "The Lord of the Dead is the only possibility."

Grover's mouth fell open in surprise. "Whoa,  wait. Wh-what?"

"A Fury came after Percy. She watched the young man until she was sure of his identity, then tried to kill him. Furies only obey one lord: Hades." Chiron recapped all the events from Yancy.

"Yes, but—but Hades hates all heroes. Especially if he has found out that Percy is a son of Poseidon." Grover pointed out.

"A hellhound got into the forest. Those can only be summoned from the Fields of Punishment, and it has to be summoned by someone within the camp. Hades must have a spy here. He must suspect Poseidon will try to use Percy to clear his name. Hades would very much like to kill this young half-blood before he can take on the quest." Chiron reasoned.

"Great. That's two major gods who want to kill me." Percy quipped.

Grover fiddled nervously. "But a quest to. . . I mean, couldn't the master bolt be in some place like Maine? Maine's very nice this time of year."

"Hades sent a minion to steal the master bolt. He hid it in the Underworld, knowing full well that Zeus would blame Poseidon. I don't pretend to understand the Lord of the Dead's motives perfectly, or why he chose this time to start a war, but one thing is certain. Percy must go to the Underworld, find the master bolt, and reveal the truth." Chiron explained.

Percy wasn't afraid. He wanted to confront Hades. The god was responsible for the Fury, the hell hound and his mother. Percy wanted revenge.

The son of Poseidon hesitated about asking Grover on the quest. Especially because the Oracle said they would end up failing, but the satyr needed to come on the quest.

"Look, if we know it's Hades, why can't we just tell the other gods? Zeus or Poseidon could go down to the Underworld and bust some heads." Percy suggested.

"Suspecting and knowing are not the same. Besides, even if the other gods suspect Hades—and I imagine Poseidon does—they couldn't retrieve the bolt themselves. Gods cannot cross each other's territories except by invitation. That is another ancient rule." Chiron said.

"Heroes, on the other hand, have certain privileges. They can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as they're bold enough and strong enough to do it. No god can be held responsible for a hero's actions. Why do you think the gods always operate through humans?"

"You're saying I'm being used." Percy deducted and if Cassie was there she would say, 'You got that right. Story of our lives.'

"I'm saying it's no accident Poseidon has claimed you now. It's a very risky gamble, but he's in a desperate situation. He needs you." Chiron corrected.

Percy didn't know how to feel. All this time Poseidon ignored him and now after twelve years he need Percy.

"You've known I was Poseidon's son all along, haven't you?" Percy asked Chiron.

"I had my suspicions. And as I said. . . I've spoken to the Oracle, too." Chiron said.

Percy could tell the centaur was keeping something from him, but Chiron didn't push so Percy wouldn't push.

"So let me get this straight. I'm supposed to go to the Underworld to confront the Lord of the Dead." Percy started.

"Check." Chiron confirmed.

"Find the most powerful weapon in the universe."

"Check."

"And get it back to Olympus before the summer solstice, in ten days."

"That's about right."

Grover was eating nervously as Percy glanced at him.

"Did I mention that Maine is very nice this time of year?" He questioned feebly.

"You don't have to go. I can't ask that of you." Percy didn't want to pressure Grover into anything.

"Oh. . . " The satyr shifted awkwardly. "No. . . it's just that satyrs and underground places. . . well. . ." Grover shook off those thoughts and stood, brushing off his shirt. "You save my life, Percy. If. . . if you're serious about wanting me along, I won't let you down."

Percy almost cried with relief. Grover was the only friend he'd had in the last months.

He didn't know what a satyr could do against forces from the dead, but it made Percy feel better to have Grover along.

"All the way, G-man." Percy smiled then shifted his gaze to Chiron. "So where do we go? The Oracle just said to go west."

"The entrance to the Underworld is always in the west. It moves from age to age, just like Olympus. Right now, of course, it's in America." Chiron replied.

Percy's next question surprised him.

"Where?"

"I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles."

"Oh. Naturally," Percy spoke. "So we just get on a plane—"

Grover interrupted him, horrified. "No! Percy, what are you thinking? Have you ever been on a plane in your life?"

Percy turned red in embarrassment and shook his head. His mom never took him in a plane.

She said they didn't have enough money and her parents died in a plane crash.

"Percy, think. You are the son of the Sea God. Your father's bitterest rival is Zeus, Lord of the Sky. Your mother knew better than to trust you in an airplane. You would be in Zeus' domain. You would never come down again alive." Chiron told him.

The storm boomed as lightning crackled.

"Okay," Percy avoided all eye contact with the storm. "So, I'll travel overland."

"That's right. Normally, two companions would accompany you, but just this once, I'll allow three." Chiron was in for a surprise in the future.

"Grover is one. One of the other two has already volunteered, if you will accept her help."

"Gee," Percy said faking surprise, "who else would be stupid enough to volunteer for a quest like this?"

"I've been waiting a long time for a quest seaweed brain," Annabeth said, now visible without her Yankees cap on. "Athena is no fan of Poseidon, but if you're going to save the world, I'm the best person to keep you from messing up."

Just then, Cassie walked in looking for Mr. D. She overheard what Annabeth had just said and fake gasped.

"Wow, you didn't even deny that you're stupid!"

Annabeth turned to glare at the girl. "That's rich coming from you, Carter."

"Again, with the last names Chase. You think by now you would've come up with something different."

"Oh, shut up, Warpath."

"Ten points for creativity, Brainiac."

"Cassandra Carter!" Cassie turned to the centaur innocently.

"Yes, Chiron?"

"Please save your bickering with Annabeth for another time dear," his voice was understanding as if he knew something she didn't.

"Sorry," she apologized.

"Now, I was expecting you, my dear. Go ahead." Chiron said.

Cassie glanced at him skeptically, but finished what she was saying.

"Can you tell Mr. D that Castor and Pollux need his help in the strawberry fields when he gets back?"

Chiron nodded.

"Take a seat." He motioned to the chair and Cassie sat down next to Percy.

"Now for the matters at hand. Cassandra, I want you to go with Percy on his quest." Chiron informed.

Cassie's eyes widened as she took in what he said. It was her opportunity to prove herself.

Show that she was more than just an Ares' kid who was obsessed with fighting.

"What if I don't want to?" Cassie wanted to know all her options.

"I can't force you to go, but I have a feeling your help will be useful on this quest. I wouldn't send four of you if I didn't think you couldn't do it." Chiron spoke calmly.

Cassie debated in her head.

"Like I would want to go on a quest with Blondie over there." She gestured to Annabeth who didn't like that idea as well.

Chiron gave her a stern father look and she sighed. "I'll go with you." She said to Percy. "Keep you out of harm from any of Chase's dumb plans."

Cassie had committed herself to the quest. What fun!

"Just don't do anything more stupid than normal Brainiac and don't die Percy. I think we'll be great friends." Annabeth just scowls but Percy smiles entertained by the girl.

"I'll try not to Cassie." Percy reassured.

He was grateful for the help. "A quartet. That'll work."

"Excellent. This afternoon we can take you as far as the bus terminal in Manhattan." Chiron was glad Cassie and Annabeth had agreed to go. "After that, you are on your own."

The storm flashed and rain poured into the camp.

'Oh great, Lightning boy is gonna kill us!' Cassie thought optimistically.

"No time to waste," Chiron instructed. "I think you should all get packing."

Cassie left first after grabbing Annabeth's Yankees hat and placing it on her own head.

She vanished as the blonde ran after her in the rain, looking quite dumb as she chased an invisible person.

Percy watched them go and Grover shook his head. He had expected this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.6K 1.6K 24
โi would rather die, than to spend eternity without you.โž She's a hunter, daughter of Aphrodite. He's a half blood, son of Poseidon It seems like the...
426K 22.8K 147
"๐™„'๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™– ๐™™๐™–๐™ฎ. ๐™„'๐™ข ๐™ฃ๐™ค๐™ฉ ๐™ก๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™œ๐™ค. ๐™€๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง." From an early age, Nicki Driscoll was inherently...
10.5K 455 31
ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ, แด›สœแด‡ส แด€ส€แด‡ ๊œฑแด˜แด‡สŸสŸส™แดแดœษดแด… แดกษชแด›สœแดแดœแด› แด€ ๊œฑแด˜แด‡สŸสŸ. โ— _____ใ€Šยฐโ€ขโ—‹ \|/ โ—‹โ€ขยฐใ€‹_____ โ— "i love it when you do that," percy watched her with a smile. "do what?" "...