loping along through the cosm...

By falleninterludes

MIKROKOSMOS BOOK #2. Reading mikrokosmos is needed to understand this book's story. More

0: THE DREAMING
1: THEODORE'S FIRST DAY
2: WHISPERS IN THE DARK
3: RUN AWAY
4: THE GREAT ESCAPE
5: TORN
6: AT LEAST I HAD YOU
7: CERTAIN KIND OF FOOL
8: THEODORE, JP, AND THE ROYAL WEDDING
9: REVERIE MEETS THEODORE LOCKHART V
10: NAZAIRE GETS CAUGHT
11: LILITH AND NAZAIRE SHARE A SECRET
12: JENEVIEVE AND JP'S UNRESOLVED FEELINGS
13: JADE, JP, AND THEIR JOCULAR FRIENDSHIP
14: THEODORE'S BEDTIME STORY
15: THE FOURTH, THE FIFTH, AND THE PIERCING INFORMATION
16: PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
16.5 PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
17: THE PAINTING OF LEIRA SINCLAIR
18: JADE GETS A KEY
19: THE DINNER AND THE DAUGHTER
20: JADE RUNS AWAY AGAIN
21: THEODORE MAKES A MOVE
22: JADE GETS COLD
23: JENEVIEVE LEARNS ABOUT EMPYREA
24: JUSTIN'S REGRET
25: THEODORE MEETS HIS TEAM
26: JP'S NOT-SO-REDEMPTION ARC
27: WHO RAISED A HAND?!
27.5: THEODORE MESSES WITH FATE
28: THE SECOND TARGET IS...
29: THEODORE'S FIRST FIST FIGHT!
30: THEODORE'S FIRST PAYROLL DEDUCTION
31: THE JINXED PAINTING
32: LEIRA'S SECRET
33: JADE COULD HAVE HAD A TRIGGER WARNING
34: BLAST FROM THE PAST
36: JP FINALLY HAS HIS AVENGERS ASSEMBLED
37: HIRAYA'S COMMITTEE
39: LEILA'S DILEMMA
40: JADE GETS REVEALED
40.5: THE AFTERMATH OF REVERIE'S DECISION
41: FIELD TRIP TO HIRAYA
42: JADE BECOMES HER BODYGUARD'S ASSISTANT
42.5: JADE BECOMES HER BODYGUARD'S ASSISTANT
43: EMERGENCY MEETING WITH THE VALENTINES
44: JADE'S FIRST PUBLIC APPEARANCE
44.5 JADE'S FIRST PUBLIC APPEARANCE
45: JADE FOUND HIM
45.5: JADE FOUND HIM
46: THEODORE AND THE TWINS' RESCUE MISSION
46.5 THEODORE AND THE TWINS' RESCUE MISSION
47: BLAST FROM THE PAST
48: LEILA HOLDS A PANIC ROOM MEETING
48.5 LEILA HOLDS A PANIC ROOM MEETING
49: A NOBLE REUNION
50: JADE MEETS HER MATCH
50.5: JADE MEETS HER MATCH
51: TWO JADED THEODORES
52: THEODORE'S PARAMOUR
52.5: THEODORE'S PARAMOUR

35: THEODORE QUITS

36 6 38
By falleninterludes

In the end, Jade didn't ask Iris much about the Lockharts. After all, that was all she knew.

She learned something that might help of course - how the Lockharts tried to erase Theodore Lockhart IV's existence by having the Third be formally engaged to a Sinclair, only for it to be ruined because he died of "food poison".

"What exactly did we get from Iris Lockhart?" asked Fino once they were on their way back to the Manor.

"You said we'll have a meeting with everyone soon, right? I'll tell it to you then. I don't want fo repeat myself."

"Jade, we're your bodyguards," Kieran reminded her. "Tell us everything first."

Jade groaned. "Fine. I found a letter from Nana that's addressed to Jinx. She told him he could give it to me so I'm not breaking any confidentiality here," she raised a hand. "Anyway, she said she killed Theodore Lockhart III."

Kieran and Fino were silent for a moment, something Jade wasn't expecting from them when it came to juicy news.

"This is the part where Kieran will say he'll be busier because we can now investigate deeper."

"Well," Fino said. "We already know that."

Jade hit the back of Fino's car seat with her palm. "And you didn't tell me?!"

"Your mom told us about it. She said we shouldn't tell you about it because it's a sensitive topic and that she'll tell you when she's ready." Kieran looked at her through the mirror and gave her an apologetic smile. "Lockhart IV has long been a suspect for your grandmother's death. What we're looking for more information is if Astra is also working behind the scenes or if there's some other person involved."

She slowly pulled away from the front seats, feeling betrayed.

"Jade, we're sorry. We just don't want you getting involved in this one. It's really dangerous. You saw what happened to your cousin," Fino apologized. "We don't want you to get hurt like that."

Ignoring them, she looked away and watched the scenes outside pass by.

The two bodyguards didn't explain further to Jade as both sides knew why did they what they did. It was just hard for Jade to digest that she was the only one who was left behind with all the important details about her family.

"We're here," Kieran said when they arrived outside the Manor.

Fino quickly went outside to open Jade's car. Once he did, he tried catching her gaze to apologize but the teen kept her sight on the boy waiting for her outside the Manor with Atieno.

"You're here," she said.

Theodore Lockhart V smiled at her, though he was nervous. "Atieno pushed me to his car and brought me here."

All of them went inside the Manor after the short interaction.

One house helper led Theodore to the dining area while Jade went straight to her room to change.

This day is getting longer and longer, she said when she arrived inside her room.

After taking a quick half bath and a change of clothes, she tied her hair in a bun and went downstairs for dinner.

Outside the dining area, Jade took a deep breath. Don't embarrass yourself tonight, Lyra Jade.

She opened the door and saw her parents seated at their usual spots around the dining table. Theodore, on the other hand, was seated in front of his mother - the seat always sits on during family dinners.

"He's on my seat," she said absent-mindedly.

Philip looked over his shoulder as soon as he heard her. Flashing her a smile, he said, "I let him sit here because we wanted to talk to him without an awkward vacant seat in between."

"I can move to the other seat," Theodore said.

"It's not a big deal." Jade pulled the chair beside her mom. She wouldn't sit next to Theodore, not when she's at home with her parents watching her every move.

"So, we've met your personal bodyguard," Leila said when the food arrived. "Theodore Lockhart, a fellow Sinclair Academy student."

"Uh-uh," Jade casually agreed. "Let's dig in." She was looking at Theodore, obviously making him comfortable by telling him to get some side dishes at the same time as her.

Philip watched as the bodyguard awkwardly followed his daughter. When he saw Jade smiling at him, he decided to ruin the mood. "Theodore said he'll quit."

Jade dropped her utensils on her plate with a loud clang. "What?"

"It was my idea," Theodore raised a hand. "I'm not comfortable with getting paid by your family when -"

"You're doing your job efficiently so why should you not get paid?!"

"It's getting complicated."

"Complicated?" Jade exclaimed then shifted a glare to her father. "What did you tell him?"

"Your mother and I have nothing to do with this, my dear. It was all Mr. Lockhart's decision."

Jade now turned to Theodore with a look of betrayal. "Why?"

"It's for the best." He couldn't even look at me in the eye, she thought. "Atieno and the others will keep guarding you at school, of course. I'm sure you'll be much safer with them since they're far more trained than I am."

The room went quiet after that - Jade at a loss for words, her parents feeling her out if she was mad at them, and Theodore feeling awkward and uncomfortable in the presence of the Valentines.

"Let's just eat then," Jade finally said, now holding her utensils tightly. "Let's get this unnecessary dinner over with."

She didn't wait for the others to finish their food. Instead, Jade excused herself after eating hers before she went straight to her room.

Left in the dining area with the older Valentines, Theodore cleared his throat.

"Are you sure this is the safest plan for her?" he asked the adults.

Philip Valentine dabbed his table napkin on the corner of his mouth before looking at him to answer. "It's best she doesn't get involved with your family. Both families have already caused enough ruckus when Nana died."

"But we didn't know about that. The public doesn't know anything about what's going on between the two families," Theodore countered. "Why should the two of us get separated when we have nothing to do with the main problem?"

Leila raised an eyebrow at the word choice. Separated. "Mr. Lockhart, do you, perhaps, like my daughter? Beyond your duties as her bodyguard?"

Theodore was caught off guard, he didn't know who to look at between the two. Seconds later, he decided to look at Philip, who looked less intimidating. Should I just tell the truth?

"Theodore?" Philip probed.

"I do," he said truthfully, shifting his gaze from Philip to Leila. "I like your daughter. But I am capable of being her bodyguard too. Feelings aside, I will still do my best to protect her. I feel like it's my responsibility to protect her when it's my family who's involved -"

"We don't want you to feel that burden, dear boy," Philip softly said. "You're still young. You should enjoy your college years. You shouldn't involve yourself in our situation when your father clearly wants you safe with all the wrecking havoc he's most probably the one causing."

"I know," Theodore sighed. "But let me just stay around Jade. I won't be her personal bodyguard but I'll try to hover around her to make sure she's safe. If my father wants me safe, then being closer to Jade will likely increase the probability that she'll be safe too."

Leila and Philip exchanged glances.

"You gave me a choice when I was on the way here. I chose to quit as her bodyguard because I don't want to get paid when I genuinely want to help your family on this one. Besides, I also want to know why Lockhart the Third left me and my mother when I went into a coma. Don't mind me carrying a burden, I've already carried one since that day I woke up."

Leila placed her elbow on the table and massaged her forehead. "Kids these days are just so hard to maintain."

"And yet you want to handle a whole country," her husband boldly stated, earning a glare from her.

Philip smiled at her teasingly. "Let the kids do their thing, honey." He turned to Theodore. "I'm giving you one bodyguard as well."

"Why?"

"It's for my peace of mind," he replied. "I don't want you kids running around while there are snipers out there. It's better safe than sorry."

"But I can't afford to pay-"

"I'll pay," Leila interrupted, seemingly calmed down. "I reopened the case about the incident 10 years ago as well. It's still done in secret but you deserve to know about it since it involves you and my daughter."

Theodore stared at the Valentines, feeling a little overwhelmed. They're not bad.

"I can't thank you enough," he then replied in gratitude. "I promise to do my best to protect your daughter."

"Do not prioritize my daughter, Mr. Lockhart," Leila said. "She shouldn't be your responsibility. We have her bodyguards to do their job. Just stay with Jade as her friend. From her reaction a while ago, it looks like she needs you by her side."

"As a friend, Mr. Lockhart," Philip clarified his wife's words.

"Yes, as a friend," Leila repeated, nodding. "Do not cross any boundary until this is over."

"Yes, Mr. and Mrs. Valentine, I'll keep that in mind" Theodore replied, keeping in mind that Jade's parents may have given him something to look forward to - until this is over.

"Eat," the Senator said, smiling. "Then I'll let Atieno drive you back to your apartment."

"Thank you," the teen said.

Dinner alone with Jade's parents wasn't as awkward as Theodore thought it would be. Initially, he thought Jade would do something bigger than walking out, but what Jade did made him realize he doesn't know her well enough to know her reactions to every situation. Nonetheless, it became another reason for him to stick with her - he wanted to know her better. He wanted to remember the past they shared with each other.

"What happens now?" Atieno asked once they were on their way to their apartment complex.

Theodore shrugged, looking out at the window. "I guess I won't get paid anymore."

"What about Mrs. Valentine? Jade's grandmother, your employer."

He quickly turned to look at his friend. "Right. How should I tell this to her?"

"Do you want me to send a message to my brother?"

"Brother? Which brother?"

"Jareth, of course. He's, like, The Superstar Jane Valentine's right-hand man," Atieno proudly said. "I could ask him to insert you in Mrs. Jane's schedule. I heard she's about to promote her latest movie two weeks from now."

"Okay," he replied. "That could work."

"You're not intimidated by her, are you?"

Theodore sighed. "I've met worse." Prince Theodore, perhaps. "Anyway, I'm planning on a meeting in this cafe near our apartment. Tell your brothers to come."

"By brothers, you mean?"

"Not the Superstar's right-hand man and the cop. The former's too busy. The second one's... well, I haven't met the person yet."

"You talked to him during that incident at the rooftop."

"I haven't talked to him since. I don't know the guy yet so..."

Atieno steered to the left, his eyes on the road as he internally decided whether he should leave his two older brothers behind even when they could be a great help. Seconds after, he took a quick glance at Theodore. "Alright. But they have to be in on it sooner. I'm only letting you control this group you're trying to complete because Kieran and Fino trust you."

"I'm sure about this group. Just trust me," he told him with conviction.

"Of course, I have to trust you. Philip Valentine told me to guard you, by the way."

"Having a bodyguard sucks," he groaned. "What would Jade think of me when she hears about this?"

Atieno shook his head. "Stop whining. You don't have to look so cool in front of her all the time."

"But I want to."

The bodyguard suppressed a laugh. "If she likes you, she'll accept you for who you are. Kids these days have no idea about true love."

Theodore shot him a glare. "Like you have a girlfriend."

"For your information, I have a boyfriend," he clarified. "He's a famous singer," Atieno smirked.

The other boy gasped dramatically. "Really?"

"Yeah, so quit whining about being bodyguarded. You're involved in this political game, and you're just a teenager so you need to be protected. I'm not going to watch Jade cry all night again because she lost someone dear to her again."

That one last sentence shut Theodore up, his eyes lingering on Atieno. This guy and his brothers probably watched Jade and her parents grieve twice already. And with what Atieno said, Theodore could see these brothers remaining loyal to the Valentines.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.2K 2.3K 23
I lost the love of my life.... twice. Now what? Welcome to Book 3.... yeah that's right! I did it. {Book 4 !! Beyond Ink - Jungkook BTS}
6.2K 552 37
Book 2 This time, no one knows what Jung Hoseok did exactly, but here's to hoping they don't die in the process of dealing with that mess.
2.6K 82 14
Book#2 Book number two of []Love Is Not Over[] Some tea about to drop.
68.6K 2.7K 19
"Jungkook... Don't leave me...." "I need you..." The adventure continues in a wonderful Book 2!!!! {Book 3 and 4 NOW AVAILABLE}