Ad Astra

By ad_meliora

[LGBTQ+ New Adult Fantasy] In the colonized country of Landiani, Fetia is no stranger to the oppressive tacti... More

Author's Note
Map
Glossary
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Author's Note
SNEAK PEEK: Per Aspera Chapter 1

Chapter 16

267 22 14
By ad_meliora

I smile when, a few days later, my mother's letter is full of praise over gathering such valuable information. I tuck the letter away in a stash with the others, happy to have finally received a satisfactory response from her. My self-esteem has suddenly lifted, and I wake up each morning more vibrant and satisfied with my role in the mission. Having gathered Asteria's trust, it is much easier to pry more information out of her. I continue to be called upon by her for walks and other duties outside her normal morning dressing, and I imagine our time together will only grow the longer I remain in Esterpool.

One afternoon, Alba gathers the maids together in our quarters. We are not often all together at the same time, save for when Alba calls us to go over important schedule logistics. I wonder what she can have to say to us this time.

"The schedules for this evening had to be adjusted slightly," Alba explains when we are lined up in front of her. "I have a meeting with the royal guard that conflicts with dinner."

The other maids turn to each other excitedly. I am sure the idea of sharing dinner with the princess is thrilling to every one of them. While I have had the privilege of accompanying the princess on walks, the most intimate duties they have been able to perform are dressing the princess in the morning or readying her for bed. I wait patiently for Alba to ask for volunteers. I plan to keep my hand down. I no longer care about befriending the maids, knowing that they will never be satisfied with me, but I am not foolish enough to think that making enemies is no longer an issue I should be concerned with.

Unfortunately, Alba does not give the chance for the other maids to volunteer. I wince as her gaze turns to me.

"Fe. The princess has requested your company at dinner," she says.

The other maids, save for Maria, glare daggers into me. I can feel them piercing into my skin, ready to tear me apart. However, I know the princess's orders are final, so I slowly nod.

"If that is what the princess desires," I say.

"Maria, I would like you to assist me with the princess's bedtime duties this evening," Alba says.

I watch excitement shine on Maria's face. Though she may have more experience than me, she is given the least amount of duties with the princess now that I am dressing Asteria daily. I am happy to see her given the opportunity.

"Are-are you sure?" Maria asks, stammering. "I know I am still learning—"

"It is time for you to perfect the duty so you can do so independently and cycle out with the other maids. Arabelle, you may take care of the princess's bedtime duties tomorrow since I will have Maria take your place today."

"Thank you," Arabelle says.

"Josie and Zofia, your duties remain unchanged. I will present you with your schedule tomorrow morning. Fe, if I may speak to you about this evening?"

I nod and slowly break apart from the other maids. I can already hear their whispers, but Alba leads me outside of the maids' residence before I can catch whiff of what they are murmuring about. I can only trust that Maria will relay it to me later if they truly have something awful to say.

"I trust that you will take this duty seriously," Alba says. "Dining with the princess is a very rare opportunity. Normally, I would relay this task onto Josie given her seniority, but the princess has asked for you, so it is out of my control."

"What does the duty entail?" I wonder.

"Escort the princess from her room to dinner. Keep her company. I normally dine with her, but that is not appropriate given your status, so eat before or afterwards. I want you to simply stand nearby while she eats. The guards can escort her back to her room while you help the cooks clean up the dining room. Understood?" Alba asks.

I nod. "Yes, ma'am."

In the evening, I do exactly as Alba instructs. When Alba leaves for her meeting, I head toward Asteria's chambers. I am strangely more nervous than normal. This is a foreign duty to me, but knowing Asteria, I am sure she will make sure I am more than comfortable. So, when I reach her door, I knock quietly.

"Are you ready for dinner, Princess?" I ask.

The door opens a moment later. Asteria emerges in the same gown I dressed her in this morning, but it seems to glow more beautifully on her under the evening light.

"Yes," Asteria says. "Thank you for accompanying me, Fe."

"Of course," I say as I begin to walk beside her. "But, I must ask, why did you not ask Josie to dine with you instead? She is essentially second-in-command to Alba."

"Josie is not a friend like you are," Asteria says quietly.

I nod, feeling strangely warmed by the compliment, even if I know it would drive Alba mad to hear it. As I walk alongside Asteria, I realize that it will be the first time I will see how dinner is served in the estate, as normally I am either only in the dining room to prepare or clean up after a meal. As we step inside, Josie is present, having helped prepare the dining room for Asteria's dinner.

After I pull out the chair for the princess and help her get seated, I take my place and stand against the wall, towards the door. As Josie leaves, she stops near me.

"Everything is ready for dinner," Josie mutters.

"Thank you."

Josie lingers for a moment, then glares at me once more. "I hope you don't forget your place." With that, she slams the door on the way out, and I remain standing, watching as the chefs bring out platters of food to serve to Asteria and members of her royal guard. It bothers me to see such luxurious food being served, but at the same time, my stomach rumbles. I suppose I can see if they will let me have some leftovers after I have finished my duties. Otherwise, I can quickly whip something together once back at the maids' quarters, though it will surely not taste anywhere near as good as the food in front of me.

I watch the chefs carefully pile food onto Asteria's plate before they return back into the kitchen, leaving only Asteria, myself, and two other guards in the dining room. Asteria grabs her fork to dig in, but then she turns her head to look at me. "Won't you join, Fe?"

"Oh. I'm not allowed," I say.

Asteria shakes her head. "Nonsense. Alba eats with me nearly every night. I won't say anything."

Cautiously, I sit down in the empty chair next to Asteria. It feels strange sitting with her and members of the royal guard. I feel uncomfortably out of place, and as I look at the luxurious food in front of me, I think again of Landiani and those who struggle to make ends meet, while the royal family eats like gods.

Still, I cannot draw suspicion, and I am rather hungry, so I hesitantly begin to dig in. The chefs have prepared some sort of chicken dish with roasted vegetables and creamy potatoes. As the food passes my lips, it hurts to admit how delicious it tastes.

"How is it?" Asteria asks.

"Amazing," I admit. I restrain myself from gobbling down the entire plate and instead try to mimic Asteria's own slow eating pace. I still feel unbearably out of place, so I try to start a conversation, just like when Asteria and I are on our garden walks. "Do you have a favorite dish?" I ask Asteria.

Asteria sets down her fork and ponders for a moment. "Not necessarily. Every dish the chefs make here is delicious. Although...there was this chocolate tart with fresh fruit that the chefs in Magewell used to prepare for me. I've always been too afraid to ask the cooks here to replicate it. I am afraid it would not compare."

I nod. "I can only imagine."

"What about you, Fe?"

"I miss eating fish," I admit. "The fishermen would bring back freshly-caught fish daily. I would go to the marketplace often to buy some. Fish is not as much of a delicacy in Magnuvia, I've found."

"There are the fish from the river, of course, but yes, I imagine they taste nothing like saltwater fish," Asteria says. "Perhaps I will have the chefs add some more fish to the menu. I am sure I can convince Alba to make some available to you and the rest of the maids."

"Oh, you don't need to do that!" I exclaim. "Besides, nothing will taste as good as back home. It is just like the chocolate tart you mentioned."

"I suppose so," Asteria says. We grow quiet for a few moments longer as we continue to eat our meal. I begin to eat more quickly than her, afraid Alba or another maid will re-enter the dining room and see me sitting with the princess.

"I must say, it is nice to have your company," Asteria says. "Alba dines with me often, but it is mostly to go over my schedule and other logistics. It has been a while since I have gotten to have a normal conversation over dinner."

"I am happy to be in your company," I respond.

The other guards are distracted as they eat and chat amongst themselves, but I am very aware of the fact that Asteria and I are not alone. While we can often have these conversations in Asteria's chambers or in the garden, I worry about being too friendly with her during dinner. If word is spread to Alba about our shared meal tonight, I am afraid it might jeopardize my position as a maid. As I finish off the remainder of my dinner, I stand up immediately and grab my empty plate. I turn toward the other guards to retrieve theirs as well, knowing that I am in charge of helping clean up after dinner tonight.

"Fe," Asteria says.

"Yes?" I ask as I begin to grab plates from the other guards.

Asteria shakes her head. "I see you are busy with your duties right now. I will ask you later."

I nod and begin cleaning up the remainder of dinner. I watch Asteria sit quietly by herself as I clean. She looks lonesome, and I desperately want to speak to her, but I resist. She knows I am busy, and besides, I will retrieve no valuable information with an audience. Instead, I head into the kitchen and begin washing the dishes with the rest of the cooks.

Time moves quickly, and when I again emerge from the kitchen, ready to ask Asteria whatever it was she wanted to speak with me about, my heart sinks to see she is gone, as well as the rest of the guards. I wonder why I expected her to wait around for me when it was made clear the guards would escort her back. I suppose that whatever it was she wanted to ask, she can do so tomorrow morning when I dress her.

Once the cooks approve my work for the evening, I walk back toward the maid's residence, tired after a long day. I am already dreaming longingly of my bunk bed, imagining how cozy it will feel under the sheets.

As I open the door to the maids' residence and step into the living room, the dim glow of lamplight makes me realize I am not alone. Three figures stand, blocking the hallway toward the bedrooms. In closer light, I can make out the faces of Josie, Zofia, and Arabelle.

"Good evening. Is something the matter?" I ask.

"'Is something the matter?,'" Josie snarls, mocking me.

I realize suddenly that they have not merely been lounging in the living room, enjoying their time together. Judging by their harsh facial expressions and firm stature, they have been waiting for me to return. I glance around for Maria, realizing suddenly that she is off tending to the princess's nighttime duties, which means...I am alone with the three of them. I hold my ground and do not move. I realize feigning innocence will not help me this time.

"This is about me serving the princess at dinner," I say.

"Oh, look. You are clever," Zofia says.

"It was not my choice to make to serve her tonight," I argue. "Princess Asteria made that decision."

"And why is it that the princess seems to choose you time and time again?" Josie asks, beginning to circle me now.

"I think it's sorcery," Zofia says. "That you're using some form of evil Landiani magic to trick her into favoring you."

"Don't be ridiculous," I say. "Even if such magic did exist, it wouldn't work that way."

"All we know is that we have spent our livelihoods trying to serve the princess," Arabelle says now, bitterness in her tone. "And in only a few months' time, you have undone all our hard work."

"Do you know how many years I spent gathering the princess's favor enough to dress her each morning? That duty was stripped from me before I could even blink," Josie says.

"Who's to say you won't take over the bedtime duty next, or even replace Alba at dinners, like tonight?" Zofia snaps.

"I do not know why you think I have put the princess under some sort of spell, but, believe me, everything I have done has been her decision, not mine. Take it up with Alba, or, better yet, the princess herself. I cannot control what was not my decision in the first place," I say simply.

"We have had Landiani maids before, you know," Josie says. "They also came here acting as cocky and arrogant as you, but we showed them their place, and they ran away. Clearly, we have not done a good enough job, so I think it is time we show you your place, Landiani scum."

In the dimness of the living room, I have no time to react to the first blow to my ribcage. Zofia's leg reverberates against my body, shooting me to the ground. I weakly place a hand onto the ground in an attempt to stand up, but then Josie's leg smacks against my other side, knocking me back down.

I am not weak. I can easily fight them off. Years of combat training have prepared me for this moment. I glance at them, deciding my next move. I could swing my leg to knock Josie off balance, potentially knocking her into Zofia too. That would buy me some time to throw a punch at Arabelle, or to at least get away. Suddenly, I shake with fear. I realize I cannot fight them back. It would be obvious I have been trained in combat, contrary to what is written in my background report, and to attack now would only jeopardize the mission.

A punch comes at my face this time, Arabelle's fist, I think, and I clutch my cheek in pain. I desperately want to swing my hands up, to show the other maids what I am made of, but it is no use. I must endure this and hope that them getting their anger out will be enough to calm them for now. I desperately attempt to curl in a ball, hoping to curb the impact of the blows as each leg and fist comes tumbling at my body. My muscles scream in pain, and I hold back my groans as best as I can.

"Look at that. You can barely put up a fight," I hear Josie say above me, laughing mischievously. The delight in her voice disgusts me. I wonder if this is what they did to the other Landiani maids, too.

I am tempted to swing my leg then and knock her off balance, but I remain my resolve and let them continue to attack. However, when their blows do not lessen or cease, I worry suddenly if their intention is to kill me, in which case, I will need to fight back; however, my injuries are already intense judging by how much by body is stinging and aching. Even if I were to flee, I am not sure how far I would make it before collapsing in pain. I silently beg for their attacks to cease. I wish I would pass out, simply so I would not have to endure the pain of their blows anymore, which have only increased.

The front door suddenly opens. I weakly try to turn, hoping at the very least it is Maria, or even better, Alba. Will they be enough to put an end to this madness?

However, an angered voice erupts from the doorstep from the person I would least expect it from.

"What on earth is going on in here?!"

My face and eyes are swollen from the blows, but in the dim light of the room, I can make out Princess Asteria in her nightgown. Relief floods through my body, and the blows to my side halt almost immediately.

"Step away from Fe immediately!" Asteria shouts. There is a fury in her voice that I have never heard before. It sends chills down my spine. The other maids quickly take a step back from my bruised body as a result.

"P-Princess," Josie stammers. She gives a curtsy above me. "We did not mean—"

"Enough!" Asteria says, silencing her. Before Asteria can take a step forward to assess me, I can hear the frantic footsteps of others behind her. Alba and Maria both enter frantically. Maria's eyes quickly lock onto mine.

"Fe!" Maria shouts. She rushes to my side.

"Go to your rooms, immediately," Alba says sternly to the other maids. "And do not come out until I call you. Understood?"

"Fe? Are you okay, Fe? Can you sit up?" Maria asks, gently pressing her hands on my back and helping lift me. The world spins as I sit up. I let out a weak groan and lean against her body. Judging by how much strength it takes to merely sit, my injuries must be more severe than I thought.

"Have a guard come down here," Asteria says to Alba. When Alba lingers, Asteria's voice becomes more urgent. "Hurry!"

"Y-Yes!" Alba squeaks in a tone I have never heard before and immediately scurries off.

I am half-conscious as Asteria squats down next to me. My vision is fuzzy, and Asteria and Maria's voices sound far away despite their proximity to me.

"Maria, get some damp towels, please," Asteria says.

I am dimly aware of Maria shifting her body weight away from me, and suddenly, I find myself leaning against the princess instead, no doubt smearing blood on her white nightgown. I glance up to look at her, but she says nothing; rather, she holds me close to her body to prevent me from falling.

"Here, Princess," Maria says, arriving with some damp towels a few moments later.

I feel Asteria gently pat some of the blood away from my cheek and forehead. I try to say something to her, but I can only manage groans instead.

"Sh," Asteria says. "Don't speak."

She blots my face for a few minutes until Alba reappears with one of the members of Asteria's royal guard.

"Have Fe carried to my chambers," I hear Asteria say above me.

"But, Princess—" Alba says.

"And call the doctor in town. I do not care if he is already asleep. Wake him."

"Very well," Alba says, scurrying off once more.

I am fading in and out of consciousness, but I am alert enough to recognize when Asteria moves away and the guard picks me up, cradling my fragile body to his chest. His armor is cold and stiff, and I find myself craving Asteria's warmth from a few moments before instead.

"Let's go, then," Asteria says.

I feel Maria's hand gently tugging on my arm. "It will be all right, Fe," I hear her say fearfully. Her fingers gently let go of my arm, and the guard carries me out of the maids' residence and into the cold of the night. I shiver and watch Asteria's blurry figure lead the way back into the main building of the estate. I shut my eyes, trying to ignore the pain radiating throughout my entire body. Eventually, we reach Asteria's chambers.

"Bring her here," Asteria instructs.

I realize suddenly that the guard is setting me down gently into her bed. My eyes widen as my body sinks into the mattress. I manage to speak with the remainder of energy I have left. "N-No, I do not need—"

"Hush!" Asteria snaps like a mother scolding a child. I hear her thank the guard, and then, time passes in a blur. The doctor arrives, and he administers something that helps with the pain. He sits me upright as my wounds are treated and inspected. Though my mind is fuzzy and I barely comprehend what is happening, I am strongly aware of Asteria's hand on mine, soothingly rubbing my palm. Alba stands near her, and they talk in hushed tones, but I am too tired to make sense of what they are saying anymore. All I know is once the doctor leaves, I can feel myself sinking further into Asteria's pillow and mattress.

Her warm hand is still clung tightly onto mine. Though I am slowly losing my other senses, I can still feel her thumb warmly tracing the outside of my hand.

"Sh," I hear Asteria say. "It's okay. You can rest now, Fe."

My world becomes darkness shortly thereafter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478K 6.8K 51
The night after her parents death, she's forced and threatened by the Queen at the age of ten to get engaged to the princess whose father is the murd...
20.1K 668 13
Humans are born with different skin tones, genders, races, religions, cultures, and even ideas. Some think what he or she is doing is perfectly fine...
323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
209 61 17
Betrothed to the dark prince, Asterin must decide between choosing her duties, or her happiness. She already knows the ways of her family and their p...