No Solace (The Flames of Retr...

Par inkysparrow

***Amby Awards Top Pick for Young Adult 2023*** ***Featured on Stories Undiscovered for September 2023*** ***... Plus

A list of the Aptitudes and what they do
A History of the War and the Cataclysm
The Nations of the Earth after the Cataclysm
Chapter One -Saint Atrize's Festival
Chapter 1.5 - Emily
Chapter Two - The Church of St. Perron Renaud
Chapter Three - The Lastender Estates
Chapter Four - Father's advice
Chapter Five - The Night Market
Chapter Six - In the Imperial Dungeon
Chapter Seven - Pirates
Chapter Eight -The Beltritian Port and the Doctor
Chapter Nine - Dr. Larimar
Chapter Ten - Meeting the Tavla
Chapter Eleven - The Deal
Chapter Twelve - The Dance
Chapter Thirteen - In the Arena
Chapter Fourteen - A heart in the abyss
Chapter Fifteen - The distances between belief and truth
Chapter Sixteen- The Best Laid Plans
Chapter Seventeen -The Oracle Matenli
Chapter Eighteen - Departure
Chapter Nineteen - On the way to Janesport
Chapter Twenty - Stratagem
Chapter Twenty-One - A sea of serpents
Chapter Twenty-Two - Revelations
Chapter Twenty-three - Mistakes were made
Chapter Twenty-four - Another Fine Mess
Chapter Twenty-Five - Onward to Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-six -The Port of Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Kohl Sanfelton
Chapter Twenty-Eight- The Magic Tower
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Schemes in the Embassy
Chapter Thirty - A Ball to End All Balls
Chapter Thirty-One - Chevral Deming
Chapter Thirty-Two- The Lies We Keep
Chapter Thirty-Three - A Childhood Crush
Chapter Thirty-Four - An Unsavory Invitation
Chapter Thirty-Five - An Awkward Carriage Ride
Chapter Thirty-Seven - The Seeds of Change and Rebellion
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Confessions
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Mata Hari doesn't live here.
Chapter Forty - New Opportunities
Chapter Forty-One - Bitter Tea
Chapter Forty-Two - The Flames of Retribution

Chapter Thirty-Six - An Uncomfortable Dinner

22 3 0
Par inkysparrow

Unfortunately, escaping the dinner was not possible.

Fortunately, however, I had been instructed to bring Ursula along, so at least I had moral support. She was dressed in a bright fuschia, gauzy ensemble, and wore a fox mask on her face. Looking at my expression, she put a hand on my shoulder. It was the most appropriate mask I'd ever seen on her.

"What's up?"

"I found out from the ambassador that Lord Tiberius might not be loyal to Calasha. He might have stronger loyalties to Sanfelton. I also found out that the ambassador might be a stumbling block to our plans."

I explained to her what transpired in his office.

Ursula sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly. "Great, just what we needed, another complication. Do you want me to break into Lord Tiberius' house and see what I can come up with?"

I shook my head, a small smile tugging at my lips. "No, Ursula. Breaking into Lord Tiberius's house is not necessary at this point. But..."

Ursula gave me an impatient look. "But what?"

"We should make a trip to the Lows as the priest and the nun. I think it's time to start stirring trouble with the church and the people. If the ambassador is going to stymie all our plans, then we need to start acting alone."

Ursula raised an eyebrow at my suggestion, a mischievous smile playing on her lips. "Oh, I like the sound of that. Stirring up trouble with the church and the people sounds like just the kind of chaos we need. Count me in. When will we go?"

"Tomorrow. With the growing attention on me, we have to move more quickly than I hoped."

She gave me a small smile. "Okay, tomorrow. Now let's focus on getting through this dinner with the imperials."

I cast her a worrying look. She had her planning face on, and I was sure she was thinking of the chaos much too fondly. "Remember, not tonight, tomorrow."

She pouted. "Way to rain on my party. Very well."

While I eyed Ursula all the way to the dinner, sure she'd somehow disappear right under my nose and commit mayhem, we finally arrived at the grand Palace. The emperor and the imperial family were already in the dining room when we were led there, their regal attire shining under the chandeliers. I took a deep breath, reminding myself to stay composed.

As I approached the emperor, he stood and turned towards me with a warm smile. "Ah, welcome, Kaashif" he said, then he surprised me by extending his hand for me to take.

I bowed respectfully before taking his hand, feeling the weight of his presence. "Your Majesty," I replied, my voice steady but with a hint of nervousness.

Kohl, Altair, and the crown prince were all present. Kohl smirked as his gaze raked down me. The empress was stiff as she took a drink from her glass, her frosty pale turquoise eyes assessing me in a similar fashion as her son.

Kohl's smirk sent icy fingers down my spine. I could feel his gaze lingering on me, and it made me feel exposed and vulnerable. I tried to ignore his presence, reminding myself to stay focused and composed.

Because of him, Chevral had been ruined. As I looked at Kohl, the one who had manipulated Chevral and used him as a pawn in his own game, a surge of anger passed through me. Kohl seemed to notice, because his smirk turned into a delighted grin as he inclined his head. Kohl had taken advantage of Chevral's vulnerability and had ultimately destroyed him. It was a reminder of the darkness that lurked within the imperial family, a darkness that I was determined to expose and bring to justice.

Altair's gaze was intense, as usual. It seemed that there wasn't a single person in this family that had any measure of serenity. He raised his glass to me, and I was reminded of our awkward exchange at the embassy. My smile was stiff in return.

The crown prince, on the other hand, seemed disinterested in the dinner and his wife was noticeably absent. His eyes held a detachment that I hadn't noticed during the ball, and I wondered about it. Was it about Kohl, or something else?

Overall, the reactions from the imperial family were a mix of curiosity, scrutiny, and tension. Despite being invited as a 'reward', It was clear that I was being closely observed, and I knew that I had to be careful with every word and action.

Just then, a servant approached, holding a tray of sparkling champagne flutes. The emperor raised his glass, a glint of excitement in his eyes. "To a night of celebration and unity," he proclaimed, his voice carrying across the room.

I glanced at the glass in my hand, knowing that adding alcohol into the mix would only make me careless. I pressed the glass to my lips when the toast was made, but I didn't drink.

I set my glass down, determined to drink water only. It didn't escape Kohl's notice, who leaned forward with glittering eyes filled with malicious interest.

"Oh, Kaashif, is something wrong?" Kohl asked, his voice dripping with false concern. "Not drinking? Might you think it's poisoned?"

I met his gaze with a steely resolve, refusing to let his taunts get to me.  With him in attendance, I couldn't say for sure that he hadn' t poisoned it. "I'm perfectly fine, Prince Kohl, I just am not of age, but I wanted to at least pay my respects." I replied, my voice cool and composed.

Kohl's smile widened, his eyes glinting with a hint of amusement. "But you're in our country. Surely a small sip wouldn't have hurt."

I maintained my composure and gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Perhaps not, Your HIghness," I replied, my voice steady. "But I wish to adhere to my customs."

"Ah, it escaped our minds that Calasha doesn't allow those of your age to drink alcohol," the emperor replied. "Let us not tease our guest for his decisions, Kohl."

Kohl's smile faltered for a moment, but he quickly recovered, tipping his glass towards me then taking a long swallow.

I inclined my head to the emperor. "Your Majesty."

Altair was glaring at Kohl. "We are here to celebrate, not to belittle our guests."

Kohl smirked, but he didn't say anything further. Altair's words seemed to have an effect on him, at least for the time being.

The crown prince rose and left the table. The emperor watched him leave then smiled at me. "Prince Quentin is unwell this evening."

I bowed with my hand over my heart, Sanfeltonian style, certain there was more to the crown prince's behavior than illness. "Of course, Your Majesty. May his light be brilliant under Faluel's gaze tomorrow in the morning."

Surprise colored the emperor's voice. "Are you a follower of Faluel? I thought all Calashans followed their many gods." Within the surprise was that mild contempt that many had for those that did not worship the same as them.

I smiled politely, choosing my words carefully. "Your Majesty, I am a follower of Faluel. While it is true that Calasha has a rich pantheon of gods, each with their own significance, I have found solace and guidance in the teachings of Faluel."

The emperor raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued. "Faluel, the god of light and wisdom. An interesting choice for someone from Calasha. Tell me, how did you come to embrace his teachings?"

I took a deep breath as I prepared to tell the story I'd invented, irked once again that he threw in a light barb about the Calashans. "Growing up, I was always drawn to the concepts of knowledge and enlightenment. I found solace in the pursuit of wisdom and understanding. When I learned about Faluel, his values resonated with me deeply. I saw him, as a beacon of light, guiding me on my path to self-discovery."

The emperor nodded, his expression thoughtful. "It is rare to find someone from Calasha who follows a different path. Your devotion to Faluel is commendable."

I bowed my head in order to hide the eyeroll. "I believe that faith is a deeply personal journey, and I am honored to have found my own path."

The emperor smiled, a warmth in his eyes. "Indeed, it is. And I respect your commitment to your beliefs. May Faluel's light continue to guide you, Kaashif."

I gave him a pious look.

"Chevral, Father. I want him alive." Kohl cut in, surprising me.

The emperor frowned down at his plate, and his voice was tight with warning. "For what purpose, Kohl?"

"You made him a madman. Not done with the job?" Altair added with a vicious stabbing of his meat."

I had stopped eating entirely, staring at the man in shock. The attention delighted Prince Kohl who explained his reason to the emperor. "I have use of him still. It was my oversight that he'd gotten ill because I'd been away so much. I'd like to correct my mistakes with him."

Oh, so he was blaming his family. And from the way that his father was thoughtfully considering the request, it seemed as though it was working. It also brought up the question of whether the emperor was privy to the information of Prince Kohl's sadistic gathering of special family. Indeed, if he encouraged it.

 I was sure that this also had to do with my visit to Chevral. It had been a foolish choice all around.

Altair scoffed. "You had a better part of two months to correct any oversight with your..." He made air quotes. "... family."

The entire imperial family knew of Kohl's hobby. I was sure that the more I uncovered the more I would be revolted by the stench and filth the imperials hid under their glossy exteriors.

The empress gasped but was quieted by her husband's hand. "Enough, Altair," the emperor said. "It is embarrassing to have Kaashif be an audience to your nightly squabble with your brother."

"It's quite alright, Your Majesty." I inclined my head, realizing I was now forced to give in to Chevral's demands if it meant keeping him from Kohl. "Kohl bringing up that request mirrored a request of my own. As you know, the Calashans are not unfamiliar with the danger muses pose to others. We have a large majority of Adepts in that class. Thus we have some treatments that might help your nation better control those like Chevral."

"I'm listening."

"Father –" Kohl tried to interrupt, looking at me with fury. This was not in his plan. Good.

"It's true that we keep our research private. But, the worst thing I could imagine is a soot jumping borders. I propose a small trade for the information. Bequeath me Chevral as a gift for research and I shall send word to our emperor to provide you with our latest treatments."

He frowned. "A gift? Are you suggesting we make him your property?"

I raised my brow. "Calashans don't engage in slavery of the weak, but we do have situations where we allow a condemned man to live a life of servitude in the house of their victim, if the family requests it. Since Emily is no longer alive, I propose that I was the most recent victim, since he fed from me, and thus I can ask for his servitude. I would be happy to share all data with your tower." I smiled at Altair who smiled back. He was clearly liking my interference.

The emperor was silent and appeared to ponder my request, which produced a lovely reaction from Kohl. "Surely you are not going to allow such a barbaric thing?" he shouted as he slammed his fork against the table, rattling the crystal.

And torturing others was not barbaric, Prince Kohl? I took a drink to hide my smirk, then sputtered, having accidentally grabbed the glass of champagne.

Altair patted me on the back with a low chuckle. 

"Silence!" the emperor finally roared at Kohl, who bowed his head. "You continue to embarrass me. Leave this table now."

With a loud screech of his chair, Prince Kohl stood and stormed off. I felt gratified by his anger and had trouble hiding my smile, so I bit into a roll.

"I will think on it," The emperor said.

"It may be of benefit to our nation if we can gain new ways to keep the muses from running amok." Altair was staring earnestly at his father.

I hoped he would say yes, but he simply nodded in response to Altair's prompting. Altair looked annoyed, and I understood that Kohl was not the pariah to the emperor that I first thought, and Altair struggled with his place in the family.

The emperor directed his attention to Ursula and asked her a question. "Having your intended ask for a gift of another person? Would that trouble you?"

Ursula turned her head to the side, shyly, as she responded. "Kaashif is wise. If he wishes for the man, it will only be of benefit to our family."

The emperor looked impressed. "What a pleasing woman you have, Kaashif. Perhaps I should look more into your culture."

Fuming inside, I let my most charming smile stretch across my face. "On behalf of my nation, you flatter us."

Erzebet stood up and followed her son, causing the emperor to chuckle. "I suppose our dinner is over, Kaashif. I do apologize for my family's rudeness."

"Think nothing of it, Emperor. It was to my honor to be in your presence."

As I pretended to smile after seeing the dramatics at that table, I realized that the events of the evening were only the beginning of a much larger and more dangerous game.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

359 32 9
"Do you think I enjoy hurting you?" "I hope so." ---- Life gets hard when you meddle in things that you should not stick your fucking nose into. Tha...
708K 32K 45
[This story is free as of February 10, 2021] "Move over A Walk to Remember, and make way for one of the most heartwarming stories this side of Wattpa...
52.4K 2.6K 38
❛❛Blue eyes, dark hair. Tall frame and a poisonous tongue. I'd recognize those features anywhere.❜❜ After The Dark War, Zoya Caldwell cou...
116K 7.3K 45
#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million stories on 1/16/22 #4 Paranormal 12/11/22...