SWEET NICOTINE | pope heyward

由 appetenxe

IN WHICH after a storm of chaos tears through a teenage girl's life she follows the treasure hunt her mother... 更多

𝙎𝙒𝙀𝙀𝙏 𝙉𝙄𝘾𝙊𝙏𝙄𝙉𝙀
PROLOGUE
01, home sweet home
02, the island's secrets
03, discovery session
04, exploded celebrations
05, graveyard of the atlantic
06, the diary and it's tales
07, rumble in the jungle
08, the island room
09, the tortoise and the tortoise
10, a boy on a mission
11, kooks vs pogues round three
12, the coastal venture
13, the stowaways
14, a game of distraction
15, the group of stranded teenagers
16, a slice of paradise
17, welcome back to reality
18, a runaways simple survival skills
19, the plan
20, location services
21, the church bells
22, it's a long story kid
23, amelia jade whitlock
24, routledge family affairs
25, an actual plan
26, under the overpass
28, something's different
29, the wing woman act
30, deals of confession
31, doctor cameron
32, surprise guests
33, the promise of safety
34, the lost city of gold
35, one big happy family
EPILOGUE

27, three for three

1.4K 65 29
由 appetenxe

❝dear friend, how have you been?
i think about you from time to time
some day, i'd love to know
how you have grown since our last goodbye❞

-dear friend, dayglow

chapter twenty seven, THREE FOR THREE

 AJ stood on the Chateau porch watching Pope Heyward embrace Big John. The pogues, specifically the boys rejoicing with the return of the treasure hunter.

John B was inside the house getting beers and AJ stole a few glances back at him, the boy watching from the window for a second or two. A smile void from his face. The girl furrowed her brows, a few thoughts entering her mind.

"John B?" She called out as he opened the door, his newly plastered smile barely fooling the girl. "you good?" He nodded as he passed her a beer and walked down the stairs to join in on the reunion.

AJ stayed where she was, simply sitting on the steps after a while and sipping on her beer. She watched from where she was as they caught up with Big John. The previously presumed dead father and son duo standing further apart than AJ would have expected.

Pope walking towards her made AJ take a deep breath. She needed to talk to him soon, she couldn't hold it in anymore. She didn't care if it would ruin the friendship, she wanted him to know she cared about him. If the reunion in front of her reminded her of anything it's that you don't always get them. She needed to remind herself that she never said goodbye to her mom, she couldn't waste more time.

"uh" John B cleared his throat and it stopped Pope in his tracks. AJ let her eyes flutter shut at the interruption, partly glad. She still didn't have the words yet. But it needed to be soon.

"Yeah, so we um, we went to the archives in Charleston and uh. It was a dead end a dry hole." John B explained after the pogues gathered around.

"So that's the gold, the cross and now El Dorado. We're three for three guys." Pope tossed a rock he was holding at the tree. "The streak continues. That's great" He started to walk off and AJ looked around the group before standing.

"Pope, wait" AJ jogged after the boy, catching up to him in the driveway. She took a deep breath in, trying to find the words in her mind somewhere. Pleading with herself internally to find the damn words. "A lot has happened and uh" The rock-paved path crunched behind her and she turned to find Cleo walking towards them.

"Can we talk?" She got out, it was all she could come up with and she was cursing mentally at herself for it.

"I have to get to school or my dad will kill me, could we talk later?"

"Okay, I can swing by your place after and could we just talk about stuff" She still could not believe what was coming out of her mouth.

"Yeah, sure, maybe come by for supper and we can talk after that?" Pope suggested and AJ let a mostly nervous smile take over.

"Okay," She breathed out, turning back to the house. JJ and Kiara walked past her and she bit at the inside of her lip. She was screaming at herself for the conversation. The stress already eating away at her insides.

"Sarah?" As the last of the pogues left AJ turned at the tears in her eyes. Sarah turned slightly, the girl shaking her head. "Sar, what happened?" AJ tried to get her to stop, keeping up with her fast pace.

"I don't know" Sarah let out as she finally slowed, meeting AJ's eyes. "He's lying to me, I know it. I just don't know why or about what, but something" She took a breath. "I just don't know"

AJ watched the girl rush off and she turned, walking back into the yard of the Chateau. "John B?" She rounded the house and stared at her cousin. "what the fuck is wrong with you?"

"What?" He threw his hands up at the girl's sudden appearance.

"What is wrong with you?" She repeated. "With Sarah, why are you lying to her?"

"Lying to her?" John B was a bad liar, AJ knew exactly how Sarah could tell so easily now.

"Oh my god, what is it?" She stared at him but he looked towards his dad. AJ looked between the pair and then scoffed. "okay, sick, love that. You know what, have at it, I'm out" AJ stormed off, the girl majorly confused at the sudden icing out from her newfound family.

She knew it had to do with the gold or the cross or El Dorado. She knew it, but she had no idea what. She couldn't piece it entirely together. Her mind rushed, she was sure it had to do with what they had her grab from the antique shop. They didn't even trust her enough to tell her what was going on. Hell, they didn't even trust the pogues, which was so much worse.

AJ literally could not have been paying less attention to her surroundings than she was at that moment. She intended to try and find Sarah but she could not stop her racing mind from taking over.

She was on the ground in seconds, her head whipping up to apologize to the person she practically slammed into. "I'm so sor-" The words choked in her throat at the boy in front of her.

"Logan-"

"Amelia" The way he said her name sent shivers through her body. The unbroken stare filled the girl with fear. There was something wrong with him, the crazy look glazing over his eyes.

"whose this?" This voice was unfamiliar and she turned as a boy with nearly buzzed brown hair approached.

"Logan, listen about what-" AJ tried to stand but Logan pushed her down with his foot. She was forced to tilt her head back when he pushed his foot to her neck, applying enough pressure to cut off her airway.

"About what? About how you tried to kill Ward? About what? Huh?" He pushed harder and tears welled in his sister's eyes. She tried to speak but it came out as a breathless squeal.

"Okay man, I think she's good" The unfamiliar boy pushed Logan back, the two fighting with glares as AJ shot up, coughing as air flooded in.

"Barry, meet my sister" Logan stood back, not looking down at the girl. "She and her shit friends are the ones that stole Rafe's boat"

"I'm sure Rafe will find this very interesting" Barry chuckled. "Come on, get up" His voice scared AJ. He grabbed onto her wrist, his grasp tightening. AJ winced at the pain.

"What's wrong with you" AJ twisted in his arms, trying to fight the boy off.

"Barry-" Logan's warning voice rang out and AJ felt his grasp lighten.

As he tugged her along down the pier and she finally got a chance to take in her surroundings. The expensive and large yachts filling her eyesight.

"Which one is it?" Barry spoke up as they walked.

"the one on the end"

"what the fuck do you even want" AJ got out, sending her elbow into the boy's side to get him to let go of her wrist. The girl ignoring the red handprint sprawled on it.

She turned and shoved Logan, trying to get away from the two.

The action caused Logan to grab her and shove her against Rafe's boat. Her head hit the side of it with force and pain flooded her senses.

"he murdered Mom" She spat out. She heard his hand connect with her face before she felt it.

"shut up" He got out and she pulled her head further from him. She forced herself to ignore the pain and she kept her stare on his eyes.

"he killed her, with his own hands he murdered our mother. Left her like she was trash and you're helping him" She pushed back further, still not giving up against him. She brought her knee up to his crotch and grabbed his shoulders. The blow had him doubling over.

Barry stood off to the side, just watching the encounter. "Rafe, uh, you wanna get out here?" He called out, but AJ didn't look to the opening of the boat. Her eyes stayed on her brother, her little brother whose eyes weren't as hate filled as they were moments prior.

Rafe didn't spare her a second glance at first, looking down at Logan still hunched over. "you know, I've been thinking about how to get the pogues back" Rafe was looking away from her but she knew well enough who the boy was talking to.

"thanks for bringing the solution my way" He chuckled, finally turning and pushing the girl against the boat. "oh come on Logs, you never told me she was so pretty" AJ squirmed in his arms, her eyes steady on her brother.

Logan's face flashed, AJ swore she was seeing through him at that moment. His eyes faltering between the two. "Rafe" He breathed it out like a pray, pleading with the boy.

AJ forced her eyes to Rafe, struggling against his hold. "oh the things i'll do with you" He pushed her hair from her face, one hand brushing against her cheek, the other wandering to her waist. Maybe spitting in the boys face wasn't the best idea but it felt like it was all she had left. Rafe sent another blow to her face and she struggled to get her arms up.

"Okay, enough Jesus, people are watching"

"Barry, stay out of this" Rafe shoved the boy, Barry, back as his hands went to AJ's neck.

"She's had enough, man, she's practically turning blue" Barry stepped forward again, not in the mood to watch the Cameron boy kill a girl for no reason. AJ's head felt like a million pounds and she was starting to find it hard to stay awake.

"man, knock it off" Barry shoved hard at his side, breaking his contact with the girl. In an instant AJ bent over, coughing as her lungs finally filled with air. "you almost killed her" Barry kept the boy at the entrance of the boat but AJ's eyes were on Logan.

Even after all of that she still tried to find her little brother in there somewhere. She swore he had to still have some part of him that cared about their mom and her. She needed him to still have that part.

"Amelia" Logan called after her when she took off down the pier. She didn't want to wait to see if Rafe would break Barry's hold. "Mel, please-" He paused but she didn't look back. "Rafe, man what the fuck" People around her who had watched the encounter stood huddled as hushed whispers were exchanged, none making eye contact with her.

"AJ!" JJ's voice met the girl's ears as she ran back towards the street. She had hot tears pouring down her cheeks and she felt too embarrassed to turn. "AJ!" An arm was on hers and she turned, JJ stopping dead in his tracks.

"I'll fucking kill them" Was the only thing that left his lips when he saw her.

"No JJ, that won't solve anything!" She cried out, reaching for his arm to stop him.

"AJ," She shook her head, stopping him from continuing.

"what are you even doing here?"

"The fucking cross, Rafe melted it" The shock made AJ feel like she was imagining it.

"What?"

"he fucking melted it"

"We gotta tell Pope" It was the first thing that came to her mind and she turned with determination.

"AJ, no, we need to deal with this" He gestured to her face and she shook her head.

"No, the only thing we need to do is tell Pope about the cross. He deserves to know" She turned without waiting, knowing the boy would follow behind her.

"Pope!" She called out as she got closer to his place. He and Cleo were outside and the pair turned. Both of their faces fell at the sight of the blonde girl.

"Holy shit" Cleo let out, jumping down from the railing and moving towards her. "are you okay?" Her eyes scanned the girl's face.

"What happened?"

"Rafe and her brother, I didn't see what happened"

"stop, this isn't about that. I'm fine" She shot a look behind her at JJ.

"This isn't okay AJ" Pope shook his head, trying to move past her. She put her arm up and stepped in front of him. The girl grabbing his arm and trying to get him to look at her.

"I am fine, that is not what we're here for" She lightly pushed him back before turning to JJ. "tell him"

"What?" Cleo looked between the pair, finding it hard to ignore the girl's beat-up face.

"I was down at Buffy's all right. I was trying to get my job back."

"No, the important part J" AJ rolled her eyes.

"Okay, I see the catty across the way, and on it is Rafe and Barry. I sneak over to hear what they're talking about. I listened to what they were talking about and then I could hear Barry yell that people were watching and then AJ was running down the pier and-"

"Jesus Christ J, still not the important part" AJ threw her hands up before turning back to Pope. "Rafe has the cross"

"and he melted it down" JJ finished, finally telling the part of the story he was supposed to. AJ watched Pope take a step back.

"I'm sorry bro. All right" JJ got out as Pope leaned over the railing.

"Fuck!" AJ had never heard him scream so loudly and the sudden burst made AJ wince. "Of course it was Rafe"

"Yeah I mean, we probably could have guessed that" AJ shoved JJ's arm for his comment.

"The cross of Santo Domingo, desecrated. For money? God!"

"I know, so. I think we need to stay calm to make a plan, but we got to stay-" JJ's words were interrupted by Pope slamming the broom down and breaking it. AJ took a few steps backwards, and Cleo gently rested her hand on the girl's arm.

"Are you okay?" AJ nodded, not breaking her focus from the boy in front of her.

"Getting better at that" JJ shook his head.

"This is messed up man, even for them" Pope scoffed.

"I know. Couldn't agree more, man"

"And they're just gonna keep getting away with it. They're gonna keep doing that shit. Gonna keep winning" Pope ranted.

"I mean, Pope, is that news to you?" JJ asked.

"J" AJ got out warningly.

"No. But I'm sick of being the good guy" Pope stormed into the store.

"Pope" AJ stood, about to go after him.

"Pope, where are you going?" Cleo called out to him before pulling back on AJ's arm. "let him blow off steam" AJ nodded defeatedly and sank onto the wooden picnic table bench.

"I'm gonna go get some stuff to clean your face, okay?" Cleo squeezed the girl's hand before heading to where her room was, disappearing behind the door.

"AJ, we need to talk about th-"

"no, we don't, I'm fine. Nothing happened" AJ didn't bother meeting his eyes.

Cleo returned after a few minutes with a first aid kit in hand. She sat next to AJ and looked over the girl's face once more. "AJ-"

"no" AJ shot her a warning look at the tone. She refused to be pitied. "just please clean my face up or I'll do it myself" Cleo nodded, grabbing some alcohol pads from the kit.

"It might sting a bit, it looks like he had rings on" Cleo knew it might result in another glare but she made her observations heard. AJ had to force herself to ignore JJ's annoyance.

"Okay, I'm almost done. Is this all of it?" Cleo put some ointment on AJ's forehead as she spoke.

"no" AJ answered honestly as she turned on the bench, parting her hair on the back of her head. She didn't know how bad it was but she could feel warm sticky blood coating her fingers.

"It's not that bad, you're good. I'll just clean it up" AJ could tell Cleo was lying. And while she didn't think it was going to kill her, it still wasn't pretty.

"Okay, all done" Cleo pulled away and closed the first aid kit.

"thank you" AJ met her eyes and Cleo nodded with a small smile. The girl disappeared again to put everything away and AJ finally looked to JJ.

"I am fine, would you just give it up"

"You're hurt"

"it's just Rafe and my brother, I can handle that" AJ tried to assure the boy. As the words left her mouth Mrs. Heyward emerged from the building.

"Hi you two, you guys joining us?" Both AJ and JJ smiled and nodded, asking what they could do to help. She directed them on what she still needed help with and the pair went to grab it.

"Are you su-"

"I am very sure J, I'm okay. Drop it, please" She grabbed the tablecloth and JJ followed behind her with a rag to wipe the table down.

"Well, I appreciate the help, you guys" Mrs. Heyward stood at the grill as Cleo came out with utensils and condiments. She must have come down while JJ and AJ were grabbing the tablecloth.

"You know I ain't missing Mrs. Heyward's cooking" JJ let out.

"Unlike my derelict son. He's usually here by now" Mrs Heyward shook her head and AJ looked to Cleo.

"I'm sure he'll be back any second, Mrs. Heyward" Cleo assured the woman before sending a pointed look to AJ.

"Either one of y'all moved the pistol from in there? The one I keep under the register?" Heyward emerged from the store, looking between the three teenagers. "JJ?"

"whoa, okay. I didn't touch it. Okay?" JJ put his hands up.

"Yeah, well, somebody did. Cause it's gone" As his words AJ paled, her face dropped and she shared a look with Cleo. Each of the three thinking the same thing.

"Wasn't me" JJ said and Heyward shook his head.

"Dang it. I gotta find it" Heyward turned to go back into the store and Pope's mom followed.

"all right, I'm sure it's somewhere"

"It's him" Cleo let out as soon as Pope's parents were out of earshot.

"Yeah, he's going after Rafe. I'll check Tannyhill" JJ nodded before putting the rag down.

"We'll take the marina," Cleo said and AJ nodded, following after her.

"Pope's quitting school, he said it before you and JJ got there," Cleo told her and she shot the girl a look. "I know"

"he can't, Jesus. He's gonna do something bad" AJ could feel it in the pit of her stomach. As they got to the Marina AJ showed Cleo where the boat was. She could see Pope sitting on a crate a shiny gun in his hands. "you should probably do this, I don't know, I-"

"you've got this, you care about him more than all of us, right?" Cleo grabbed her arm and looked into her eyes. "you can do this, I'll be here" AJ nodded and took a few steps forward.

"it's not worth it Pope. Three seconds of gain for lifelong guilt" AJ's words left her lips gently as she approached.

"I don't care" Pope shook her head.

"what about your mom and dad, and the pogues"

"they'd understand how I feel, the pogues would get it" Pope stared forward and he gripped the gun tighter. He cocked the gun and repositioned his aim.

"Pope-"

"For once, he would lose like we always do. It doesn't matter anyways" AJ took a few steps forward. "I've lost everything"

"no, you haven't" AJ got out as she crouched down next to him. "Pope, everything might not be crystal clear right now but you have the pogues, your parents, you have me." She rested her hand on his arm.

"Pope, you have me. You have all of us, we'll figure it out. This, him, it isn't worth losing everything else" AJ wrapped her arm around his shoulder, her hand on his wrist.

"It's gonna be okay" She whispered, moving her hand so she had a better grip on the gun. "just let it go, I've got you" As soon as his grasp on the gun lightened she pulled it to her waistband.

"the cross, the gold, what he did to you-"

"shh, it's fine, we're gonna figure it out, it's gonna be fine"

"you're-"

"I'm fine"

She pulled Pope closer, wrapping both her arms around him as he cried. She couldn't help the tears that pooled in her own eyes. She looked over to where Cleo was and the girl stood watching, sending a small nod to AJ.

"come on, I'll walk you home." She pulled away from Pope's arms as she spoke and he nodded. Cleo was already on the street, the girl making her own way back.

The walk was silent, neither spoke as they made their way from the Marina to Heyward's. Cleo was sitting on the steps when they approached and she stood.

"you're gonna be okay," Cleo said before turning.

"Thank you" Pope sent the girl a small smile.

"good night" Cleo disappeared behind the door and Pope turned back to AJ.

"thank you, for-"

"you don't need to thank me Pope" The two shared an unspoken look. "I'll help you with school, there's probably some weekend classes you could take to catch up, right?"

"I think so, I kind of walked out though"

"If I wasn't allowed back into a school after walking out I wouldn't have made it past the seventh grade" AJ joked. "I'll go with you, catch up on what I've missed" She assured him and he smiled.

"Okay, that means we need to get up and go to school tomorrow morning though, you get that, right?" Pope raised a brow and the girl playfully scoffed.

"Yeah, I sort of figured" She shook her head and the two returned to a silence.

"You said you wanted to talk earlier, right?" Pope reminded the girl of the early hours of that day and she let out a puff of air.

"It can wait, it's been a long day" She hugged him before turning and attempting to head off. Pope's hand on her arm stopped her.

"wait" Pope let out and she raised her brow at him, looking up into his eyes. He didn't say anything and she furrowed her brows.

"what's u-" Before she could even finish what she was going to say Pope Heyward's lips were on hers. His lips were on hers. She'd thought of the moment since the first time he'd done it outside the horse stables in Barbados and here she was again, freezing.

She screamed at herself internally before forcing herself forward. She broke the spell over her body and wrapped her arms around his neck as she leaned up into the kiss.

When they finally pulled away neither of them said anything and it felt like they stood in the silence, faces inches apart, her eyes darting between his.

A cough a few feet away broke the pair further apart and AJ could feel the heat rise up her neck and crawl onto her cheeks. "It's getting late you two" Mrs Heyward stood by the doorway, looking between the pair with an amused smile.

"Right, sorry Mom" Pope called out before turning back to AJ.

"Uh, here, please just put it back" AJ pulled the gun from her waistband and handed it to him.

"I'll see you in the morning?" Pope asked.

"yeah, goodnight" AJ wavered a second or two before finally turning and walking down the path. A smile invaded her face no matter how hard she tried to wipe it off. 

(NOTES)

POPE AND AJ KISS!!!!
i love it, and them! so much
literally kicking my feet and
giggling while i proof read it

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

6.9K 415 18
🏝️ ❛ take you there every night, say that it's only right ❜ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ: marella river, kook princess, blocked out any memories she had shared with the...
2.3K 62 12
ੈ✩‧₊˚ ❝ i like that about us. nothing is ever complicated. ❞ &&. in which it's dangerous to fall in love with your best friend. JJ MAYBANK | OUTER B...
6.9K 211 12
୨⎯ "𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀. 𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗶𝗱 𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿, 𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗳𝗿�...
11.2K 142 11
𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 ( outer banks ) ( pope x fem!oc )