34, the lost city of gold

❝the blood in my veinsis made up of mistakeslet's forget who we areand dive into the darkas we burst into colour,returning to life❞

is made up of mistakes
let's forget who we are
and dive into the dark
as we burst into colour,
returning to life❞

-jet black heart, 5 seconds of summer

chapter thirty four, THE LOST CITY OF GOLD

 The downpour was making the already difficult hike even worse. AJ's wrist hurt from the constant tug and her leg was aching. She winced with every step.

Ward's smug look made her want to break free from the guard's grasp and attack the man. "Dad, what does it say!" The familiar voice made AJ want to cry.

"Yes, John! What does it say? Huh? Tell us all, John. What is the secret of the gnomon?" Singh started, the guard still had AJ and Logan pulled off to the side but AJ tried to get sight of John B and Sarah. "Ah ah ah, I wouldn't do that if I were you, John. I have you surrounded. You'd do best to toss over your gun now!"

"Careful now, Mr. Routledge. Careful" Singh warned.

"Ward was gonna send up a flare to warn us? Yeah sure" Big John shook his head with a scoff.

"Hey, what did you do with my father and AJ?" Sarah looked up at where Singh was.

"I'm right here, Sarah! I'm okay! I'm right here" Ward stepped out in front of Logan and AJ, making himself seen.

"Dad. Dad, what did you do?" Sarah stared in shock at the man.

"No, no, no Sarah!"

"Where's AJ?" John B looked angrily at Singh and AJ felt a guard shove her forward, a gun pointed at her still. She pushed herself up in the mud, finding Sarah and John B with her eyes.

"I'm okay, I tried to send the flare I'm sorry" AJ got out, the girl shaking from both the cold and the gun pointed at her back.

"I made a deal Sarah, I had to" Ward tried to reason with his daughter.

"A deal?"

"Yes. I did a favor for Mr. Singh, in return, he's gonna give me all I want" Ward nodded.

"You think this is a favor?" Sarah shook her head in disbelief.

"I want you safe! Isn't that right, Mr Singh?" Ward said before looking over to Singh.

"Mr. Cameron is correct. When we finished you can go with your father. Safe and sound. And you too can live, you know, John, if you just give me what I want! The way to El Dorado!" The guard behind AJ made her stand as Singh spoke. The gun moved from her back for a few seconds before finding its spot again.

"Sorry, Carlos. I can't do it. And you ain't gonna kill me, 'cause I got the treasure. It's right up here" Big John pointed to his head and AJ couldn't decide on who to steady her eyes on.