35, one big happy family

❝and i'm damned if i do and i'm damned if i don't'cause if i say i miss you i know that you won'tbut i miss you in the mornings when i see the sunsomethin' in the orange tells me we're not done❞

'cause if i say i miss you i know that you won't
but i miss you in the mornings when i see the sun
somethin' in the orange tells me we're not done❞

-something in the orange, zach bryan

chapter thirty five, ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY

 "Big John-" AJ turned, her voice filled with worry. The man's eyes were shut and it made the girl's stomach twist. "Big John" She put her hand on his arm and he jumped slightly.

A breath of relief left AJ's lips. "I'm sorry, I thought-" She didn't finish her sentence. Big John nodded, he knew what she thought. He pushed himself a bit more upright and patted the spot next to him.

"you know, you're just like your mom" His words made AJ want to scream out in pain. She had been told of her resemblance to her mother, but never in a good way. This was different.

"She was the strongest person I knew, when we were kids she was fearless" AJ smiled sadly at the thought of her mother. Across the cave Logan looked over, the mention of his mother catching his attention.

"She was always so fascinated by boats and books and everything she could learn, she wanted to" Big John continued, faltering only slightly when Logan walked over. The boy sitting a few feet away from them.

"John B told me how much you helped when you got to the island, how much it meant to you too. Thank you, thank you for helping him when he needed it" Big John smiled and AJ looked down. Emotions taking over her. She tried not to let the tear slip from her eyes.

"can you tell us about her? Like more, like when you were younger" Logan's voice sliced through the silence and AJ looked back up. The boy playing with the laces of his shoes.

"yeah, sure. Uh Brianne, your mom used to have this stuffed monkey she named Walter, and she used to drag this thing everywhere. I mean, covered in dirt and dust, but she'd refuse to let our dad clean the thing."

"oh my gosh, Mom gave that to me when I was three. It was so raggy and old, she made me name him"

"yeah, and you named him Oscar because of sesame street"

"because he looked like he came out of a dumpster" Logan and AJ laughed and Big John smiled at the kid's memories. AJ bit the inside of her lip when her laughter died down, the realization settling in.

"god I miss her" She looked down at her feet.

"I miss her too, but, ya know, I'm sure she's right here with us" Big John rested his hand on his niece's. The small comfort it gave her was enough to stop her from crying.

"I know you're bleeding, Mr Routledge!" The sound of Singh's voice filled the cave, bouncing off the walls and surrounding them. AJ's stomach dropped and she helped Big John stand.