Ad Astra

By ad_meliora

[LGBTQ+ New Adult Fantasy] In the colonized country of Landiani, Fetia is no stranger to the oppressive tacti... More

Author's Note
Map
Glossary
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Author's Note
SNEAK PEEK: Per Aspera Chapter 1

Chapter 14

274 22 10
By ad_meliora

I wake at dawn, perturbed to find Maria awake in the bed below me. I break through my drowsiness suddenly, remembering that Maria and I will be traveling to Arkford today! Rather than readying myself to head towards the princess's chambers, I descend from my bed and begin to prepare for a day out on the town instead.

"You don't need to wear your uniform, you know," Maria says, giggling, when I pull out my standard clothes for the day. "Wear something nice instead."

I do not have much in the way of nice clothes, so I pull out a dark red gown that I took with me to Magnuvia. It was something that Taika purchased for me so I would have some casual wear while in Esterpool, but I truthfully miss my flowing skirts and lightweight clothing that I would wear in Landiani. I change into my gown effortlessly, thankful I do not have to attach the layers like I would with my standard maid uniform or the princess's gowns.

"Wow, that color looks great on you!" Maria exclaims. She is in a simple dark blue gown that I have seen her wear once or twice before on her days off.

"Thank you," I say. "It's nice to wear something besides our gray and white uniforms, isn't it?"

"Much better," Maria agrees. "Those uniforms always leave me itching at the end of the day."

I laugh and nod in agreement.

As we ready to leave, I find Josie awake as well, heading towards the front door. I call out to her as she is exiting. "Josie! Thank you for tending to the princess in my absence today," I say.

Josie spins around, and though annoyance briefly flashes in her eyes, her face draws into a smile so fake that it sends a chill down my spine. "It is no matter. I'm delighted to take up an old duty of mine again." With that, she turns and heads out the front door, leaving Maria and myself alone once more.

"You don't think she'll try to convince the prinecss to take over her old duties while you're gone, do you?" Maria asks.

While a possible fear, I know that I am the only maid who has had the opportunity to walk with Asteria in the garden multiple times.

"I'm not worried," I say. "I don't think the princess changes her mind easily."

With those words, we leave the estate. A guard drives us to the train station, and after a brief wait, Maria and I settle into the train car. It will be a brief journey, no more than an hour. For that reason, I stay awake, but Maria nods enough off within a few minutes. We leave the rolling green hills of Esterpool behind and return to the barren lands of Magnuvia that I have only once seen on my initial train ride to Esterpool. The land is littered with rotting stumps and decaying tree branches from the forests that Magnuvia destroyed over the years. The sight irks me, and I suddenly feel guilty for abandoning my spying today to enjoy some time with Maria, but I know the princess is not going anywhere. I should at the very least attempt to enjoy my time in Magnuvia while I am stuck in Esterpool for my mission.

The hour slowly drags by, and once or twice, I find myself nodding off. The slow rock of the train is soothing, and in the moments I do sleep, I dream of being back home in Landiani, rocked by the ocean waves of a boat.

I am shaken awake from my dreams a little later by Maria. She is clutching my shoulder eagerly and pointing out the window. I stare, half-awake, and glance out the window. We have arrived to Arkford.

I am surprised the noise of the city alone was not enough to wake me. The barren wasteland of Magnuvia is now replaced by tall brick buildings, cobblestone streets, and loud, beeping motorcars. I gaze out the window, watching Magnuvian civilians walk down the crowded city streets. The sound of wheels turning on the road and vendors yelling out to pedestrians fills the air. There is nowhere in Landiani that is quite like this. Even the market, fresh and vibrant with life, pales to the hustle and bustle of city life.

Maria and I exit the train. At the station's edge, I glance around, taking in the views of the city.

"Have you not visited Arkford before?" Maria asks, clearly noticing my curiosity.

I try to hide my shock. The Fe I am pretending to be would not be all too surprised by Arkford, given that she served in Magewell. Still, I shake my head. "You'll have to lead the way."

"Let's head down toward the main market, then," Maria says. We leave the train station and head north, further into the city.

I walk carefully alongside her. We pass several other servants with heavy baskets in their hands, most likely also performing chores for their families. Occasionally, I pass someone else from Landiani, which is a relief to see given that I often feel I am the only Landiani individual in Esterpool. Though a part of me is desperate to make eye contact whenever I see someone from my country, I keep my head down and continue walking alongside Maria.

What overwhelms me the most in Arkford is not the loudness or crowds but the military presence. Some time in Esterpool has made me forget how prevalent the military is and how they seem to engulf the city here compared to my hometown of Tetoa. There are soldiers, some from Landiani included, at every street corner, either patrolling, grabbing a bite to eat, or shopping like Maria and myself. I comment to Maria about the amount of soldiers.

"There's a military base a few blocks down," Maria explains. She points ahead to a large stretch of wide brick buildings. "This is a popular city for training. Plus, it's near the Landiani and Flumensian borders."

"Oh," I say, the realization suddenly hitting me. Thankfully, Maria doesn't question me any further. Instead, she turns the corner, leading me down to the main marketplace street of Arkford. Though just as busy as the market in Tetoa, there are no swaying palm trees or crashing waves in the distance to add to the ambience. The marketplace in Arkford is hot and crowded, and a lingering unpleasant smell invades the area. Though Maria seems eager to explore, I am suddenly looking forward to leaving the area as quickly as possible.

"What's on Alba's list?" I ask. "Should we split up and each take a few items?"

"Don't be ridiculous. This is your first time in Arkford, right? We should take our time and explore together," Maria says. I force a smile in response and remain by her side.

Alba's list is fairly straightforward. On the list are new towels, fresh soap, sewing supplies, a water vase, and the other usual amenities that I see often around the estate in Esterpool.

"If there's anything that you would like for yourself, do not hesitate to buy it," Maria tells me.

"Do you often shop for yourself?" I wonder.

"Yes. Sometimes I buy a new outfit or two," Maria says. "I don't often have the chance to wear it given our uniform, but it is nice to buy new things every once in a while."

I reach into my pocket to feel the purse of coins I brought with me. I do not expect to buy anything while in Arkford, but I keep my eyes peeled regardless, as this is meant to be my day off. We weave slowly through the heavy crowds, slowly gathering the items Alba requested. As we walk, I come to a pause near a stall. The sign states that they are selling authentic Landiani bracelets. I turn to look at Maria, who is chatting with a vendor nearby who is selling spring gowns. Slowly, I approach the bracelet stall.

The bracelets are made of painted wood. While similar in nature to the bracelets often sold in the marketplace in Tetoa, my careful eye can determine the sloppy handiwork of the carving. I pick up a bracelet slowly to examine it. Even the wood is inauthentic, most likely belonging to trees in Flumensia rather than the Landiani Jungle.

The man running the stall notices my interest. I glance up as he approaches. While he appears Landiani, his hair and skin color are a shade lighter than mine. I suspect one of his parents is of Magnuvian descent. I remember hearing of Landiani soldiers who settled down in Magnuvia and had families following their service. They were often frowned upon by those back home, but oftentimes they could be afforded a better life in Magnuvia.

"Ah, I'm not surprised a young Landiani woman like you would be interested in these," the vendor says.

"They are quite beautiful," I lie, only picking out more inconsistencies as I examine the bracelet.

"Just for you, I'll mark a quarter off the price," he says with a wink.

"I don't know," I murmur, turning the bracelet over.

To my right, I hear the sound of a thud against the ground and quickly spin my head. A Landiani servant has tripped, spilling a bag of fresh groceries onto the ground. I watch as an older Magnuvian woman begins shouting at her servant, and the servant quickly scrambles to retrieve the spilled items. I cling more tightly onto the bracelet as I watch the scene unfold. Everyone's heads have turned as the Magniuvian woman steps forward and slaps the servant across the face. The smack is so loud it reverberates throughout the marketplace.

My body twitches, wanting to take a step forward, but I hold myself back. I cannot help in this circumstance, nor can I react. To do so would only draw suspicion when I am not even supposed to be lingering outside of Esterpool to begin with.

"What will it be, then? Do we have a deal?" the man asks, unbothered by the scene.

I slowly set the bracelet back down. "Not today. Thank you though," I say.

I quickly locate Maria at the nearby booth and grab onto her arm. My body is shaking slightly after witnessing what just occurred.

"We should move on," I tell Maria. Though the woman has finished punishing her servant, the crowd still lingers, waiting to see if any more drama will unfold. Maria, meanwhile, seems unbothered, as if totally oblivious to what has just occurred.

"I agree. That saleswoman would not give me a discount on the gown no matter how much I tried to bargain," Maria says with a huff, glancing back at the stall she was once standing at. "Besides, we only have a few items left. Did you find anything you liked, Fe?"

"No," I say. "But that's okay."

We walk away and turn onto a different street corner that is less crowded. I take deep breaths, slowly feeling myself calm down. Still, the anger ignites inside of me seeing the way the servant was treated. It grows when I look at the soldiers standing on street corners, looking for those who are disobeying. Perhaps this day was meant to be a distraction, but I am quickly reminded of the urgency of my mission.

"Maria," I say quietly.

"Yes, Fe?" she asks as she scans the stalls for our next item on Alba's list.

"Have you ever been hit like that?" I ask. "While serving in Esterpool?"

Maria turns to me in confusion. "Hit? No, not at all. Alba may be harsh with her words, but she has never been violent, and I have never seen Princess Asteria hurt a fly. I consider myself very lucky. Did your past family hit you, Fe?"

"N-No. They were nothing but kind. I only grew a bit worried, seeing the scene back there. I was not sure if that was common in this part of Magnuvia."

"I am sure it is common throughout Magnuvia. There are families who are cruel, and those who are kind. Granted, I have not made a mistake big enough to warrant a punishment, but I still do not think Alba or the princess would act in such a manner."

"I see. Thank you," I say. I decide not to let the conversation linger any longer. Perhaps Asteria is kind to her servants, but that does not undo the injustices her family has caused to my country. I try not to let myself be blinded by Maria's words.

We check off the rest of the items slowly, until eventually, we finish Alba's list. Maria and I briefly stop at a nearby café for a meal, and then, as the sun sets, we head back towards the train station, ready to return home. The day has been long; my feet hurt, and my gown clings with sweat to my body. I strangely look forward to crawling into my uncomfortable bunkbed in Esterpool when we return.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" Maria asks as we walk down the street.

"It was interesting seeing a different part of the country," I say.

"I wish you had bought something, too. I overspent a bit," she says, holding out a few bags on her arms with items not meant for Alba. "But I suppose I will be paid again soon."

"Perhaps I'll buy something next time. Thank you again for allowing me to join you today," I say.

"Of course! We'll have to come again soon," Maria says with a smile.

We continue walking down the street and pass by a group of soldiers standing under a streetlamp, roughhousing and conversing with each other. They look younger, most likely new recruits. One whistles as we walk by. I turn to look at Maria, seeing the blush growing in her cheeks. She remains quiet, but I turn to glare at them. That is when I notice a familiar soldier standing near the back of the group. My eyes lock with Lagi.

"Fetia?" Lagi asks.

My eyes widen, and I quickly grasp Maria's wrist and pull her down the street.

"F-Fe! Where are we going?!" Maria exclaims. Frantically, I pull her down an alleyway and crouch behind some crates. Though confused, Maria crouches with me and maintains silence. I can hear footsteps and the loud, raucous voices of the soldiers nearby, but eventually, the noise fades, and no one pursues us.

Letting out a breath of relief, I stand up.

"Fe? What was that all about?" Maria asks. She looks down at her sleeve and frowns. "You've made me get dirt on my sleeve, you know. These alleys are not very sanitary."

"I'll wash your gown for you," I offer.

My heart is still pounding at the sight of Lagi. I wonder why he was here, but I remember that Taika had mentioned Lagi would be training in Magnuvia before taking off to Kilneu. I realize that this is exactly what my mother warned me about. I disobeyed her orders to go to Arkford, and I was recognized. I angrily curse myself in my head for being so stupid and silently beg that Lagi will not say anything, or at the very least, doubt that he ever saw me.

"Fe? You're scaring me, you know," Maria says. "Who was that man?"

I cannot tell Maria his true identity. The last thing I want is to wrap Lagi up in my mess when he is already under careful watch by the Magnuvian soldiers. Slowly, I conjure up the best lie that I can come up with.

"His name is Vasa. We grew up in Otakoro together," I say. "Between you and me, Maria, he was a bit obsessed with me back home. I only ran off just now to avoid him."

Maria slowly nods. "Oh! I completely understand, Fe. You know, there was a boy back home in Okchester who...."

I ignore the rest of her story, wondering if Lagi will still be lingering when we come out of the alley. I figure we will have to be careful and even take an alternative route if needed. Maria is finishing her story when I bring my thoughts back to the present.

"I hope he is still not out there," I say to Maria.

"I can check," Maria offers.

I thank her and wait quietly behind the crates until she returns. She nods at me and beckons me forward. We step out of the alley and back onto the main street. The soldiers are gone, and the street has begun to clear out as everyone returns home for the day. I sigh in relief.

"Thank you," I say. "And I apologize for the drama."

Maria shakes her head. "Nonsense. That's what friends are for. At least, I hope you see me as a friend."

"I do," I respond. A friend I will soon betray, I realize, but someone who trusts me, nonetheless.

"I am happy to hear that," Maria says with a cheerful smile.

I see the train in the distance and let out another breath of relief. Finally, we will be returning back to Esterpool.

"By the way," Maria says, "he called you something strange. It didn't sound like your name."

"Oh. That's an old nickname from back home," I say.

With those words, our discussion about my run-in with Lagi comes to an end, and we begin on our journey back home to Esterpool. Maria falls asleep quickly on the train, but I remain awake, wondering if I will need to write to my mother about my encounter with Lagi. However, I remember her threat. Would she truly take me back home if she knew I disobeyed her and left Esterpool? I decide I will keep my mouth shut for now and pray Lagi does not write anything to Palila or anyone else back home who could come into contact with my mother.

It is dark when Maria and I finally return to Esterpool. I stretch my arms as I walk with her toward the maids' residence, excited to finally be heading to bed. As I walk inside with Maria, chatting with her about our day, we both find Arabelle seated at the kitchen table, looking frightfully annoyed.

"Good evening!" Maria says happily, ignorant of Arabelle's displeasure.

"There you are," Arabelle says begrudgingly at me. "I can finally tell Alba you are home now."

"Huh? Is something the matter?" I ask.

Just then, the door opens behind me. Alba emerges, dressed in her nightgown, but evidently still awake.

"She just arrived home," Arabelle relates to Alba.

"Finally. I was just about to give up on you for the evening," Alba says, exasperated. "Thank you for staying awake, Arabelle. You may retire now."

"Good riddance," Arabelle says, standing up.

Maria slowly backs away toward the hallway. "I will leave you to whatever it is that you must discuss," she says. She quickly ducks into the hallway behind Arabelle, acting like a dog with a tail tucked between its legs.

I gulp and face Alba.

"Come with me, Fe. The princess has been calling for you," Alba says.

"What?" I ask as I follow her right back out of the maid's residence and into the main building.

"She has requested you ready her for bed."

"But I—"

"I tried to reason with her; I told her you were away, but she would not see to it," Alba explains, annoyance in her tone.

"One of the other maids could have assisted her," I state.

"I brought up the same solution, but she wanted you," Alba murmurs. "We have all been awake waiting for your return."

"I-I am sorry, Alba. Truly, if I knew the princess would call upon me—"

"It's not your fault. The princess makes demands that sometimes we are not always able to accommodate," Alba says. She looks at me and sighs. "I forget you are not in your maid uniform, but no matter. It's too late for you to change now. Please go and see to the princess immediately."

I nod. We part ways when Alba enters her bedroom. Meanwhile, I approach the princess's door and knock slowly.

"Princess? It's Fe," I call from outside. I forgot my keys back at the maid's estate, so I wait patiently for Asteria to come and unlock the door. I hear light footsteps, and then slowly, the door creaks open.

"Oh, Fe! You're home," Asteria says cheerfully.

"Yes," I say as I enter.

Asteria is still in her daytime gown, and as we enter her bedchambers, I see her nightgown folded delicately on her dresser. Her hair is braided, most likely done so by Josie this morning while I was away. I wonder why she felt the need to wait for me, when any other maid would have been just as capable, if not more so, but I suppose I should savor this extra time I have been granted with the princess.

"I'm sorry for being away," I say. "I did not know that you would call on me. I thought one of the other maids would have alerted you that I was in Arkford today."

"It's okay," Asteria says. "I apologize for any sense of urgency. Josie mentioned you were away, but I was not given an estimate of when you would return. I suppose I thought you would be back earlier."

"Well, I'm here now and ready to assist," I say.

I slowly help the princess undress. It is my first time having done so, and I try not to act nervous as I peel away the layers that I usually help her put on each morning. Asteria is kind and gives me instructions, but I still feel my cheeks burning in embarrassment when she is nearly naked, and I am assisting her in putting on her nightgown. Up close, her skin is as light as porcelain, speckled with freckles on her shoulders and neck.

"Fe?" Asteria asks, smoothing out her nightgown.

"Yes?" I say, my thoughts quickly broken.

"Will you help undo my braids?" she asks.

"Of course," I say, beginning to slowly unfold them one by one. Her hair is soft and silky, glowing golden under the lamplight in her bedroom.

"I see Josie braided your hair today," I say.

Asteria nods. "What do you think of them?"

"I like them," I say. "I know sometimes you have your hair braided before bed, but I do not usually see you wear them in the daytime."

"I don't want to trouble you by asking you to braid my hair, usually. You're still learning, I recognize—"

"I'm your maid," I interrupt. "It is no trouble."

Asteria hums and nods. "How was Arkford? Was it your first visit?"

"Yes," I confirm. "It was very lively. There were more people than I could have imagined, and many stalls to shop from."

"Did you purchase anything?" Asteria asks.

"No. Maria bought out nearly the whole city though," I say, which causes Asteria to laugh. I continue unraveling her braids, watching the way her hair cascades down in waves as they come apart. I miss when I was able to wear my hair in such a way. Even today, I pinned it up, not sure if it would look improper to wear my hair down.

"I see you're not wearing your uniform today," Asteria says.

I freeze. "I'm sorry. I can change—"

"Oh no. I only meant that I like your gown. I do not often see you in anything but a maid's uniform. It suits you," she says, staring at me in the mirror.

"Oh. Thank you," I say quietly.

I finish unbraiding Asteria's hair. She remains seated, brushing her finger through her waves.

"Is there any other assistance you need before I part tonight?" I ask.

"No. That will be all, I think," Asteria says, rising from her seat. "Thank you for your service, Fe. I know you would probably like to be heading to bed, too."

"It was no trouble at all," I answer.

"Perhaps we can go for a walk in the garden tomorrow and talk more about your visit," Asteria suggests.

"I would be delighted," I answer.

"I hope..." Asteria's voice falters for a moment. "I hope we can make a habit of those walks. Not so you can serve me, of course, but just to talk."

"Of course. Whatever you need. I'm here to listen," I say.

Asteria smiles and nods. "You know, Fe, I am sure it is quite obvious, but I do not have many friends here. Oftentimes it can grow quite lonely, but I quickly feel you are becoming a friend of mine. Would you agree?"

I think of Alba's warning in my head: You are not to be her friend. But then I see Mama's disappointed expression in me from the day before, begging me to put more effort into gathering information from the princess.

So I nod.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Willa By S

Romance

29.4K 2.6K 44
(Book 2) *complete* The first being Alberta. (Willa is not a retelling of Alberta it is quite different with an array of new characters who follow th...
144K 10.1K 56
"It's- It's good to see you... though?" And Dahlia can't help that her voice shrinks, when Irie suddenly towers over her like she never has before. T...
124 3 13
It all started thousands of years ago... Three tribes found an island. A safe haven from their enemies and worries. Staying on the island was meant t...