The Cinderella Contract

By SashaKadley

"I have a proposition," He began. I gestured with my hand for him to continue. "You will sneak into the princ... More

Extended Description
Chapter 1: The step-family
Chapter 2: Locked in a Library
Chapter 3: Trouble at the Supermarket
Chapter 4 : The Past
Chapter 5: Jerk in Disguise
Chapter 6: A Customer With No Manners
Chapter 7: Return of Prince Jerkface
Chapter 8: Always Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 9: A Suprising Offer
Chapter 11: Three Strikes
Chapter 12: The Cinderella Contract
Chapter 13: Eavesdropping

Chapter 10: Backstabbing Snitches

3.9K 211 6
By SashaKadley

Chapter 10: Backstabbing Snitches

I stood still as I looked at myself in Alana's floor length mirror. I had brushed my messy and extremely frizzy hair out so it laid straight down my shoulders stopping at the middle of my back. The dark brown coloring had a orangish tint to it where the sun hit it though the open window across the room. My slightly tanned skin almost glowed as bright as my smile that spread on my face. I couldn't keep it off no matter how hard I tried. I felt so giddy and anxious. A long lost spark shone in my dark coffee colored eyes.

Hope.

I haven't been this happy in who knows how long. I took a few calming breaths and smoothed my light blue blouse. My worn out jeans had become brighter over time, so it was also a washed out sky blue. I pulled all of my hair to the left side of my neck before braiding it. I ran a hand through my side bangs so they were on the left as well before putting on a small amount of lip gloss on my dark pink lips. I smiled again, showing off my white teeth.

I had gotten another email from Cal's Diner that said I had to go to train in the daytime once before I would start my night shifts that would last from five until nine on Wednesdays to Sundays.

I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since.

This is it.

This is when my life finally would change.

I looked over myself one more time before walking out the door.

***

Cal's Diner was farther away than I had previously assumed.

I had walked about twenty minutes before I finally reached it. I stopped in front of the small, cozy looking building. It was nice. The glass windows were lit with a few neon signs advertising food specials. I saw a small 'help wanted' sign on the bottom left corner of the glass. Suddenly, it was taken off. I glanced up to see a man in his thirties standing with the sign in his hand. His eyes connected with mine and he jerked his head to the side, signaling me to go in.

I nodded and took the last few steps required to make it into the building.

I grabbed the handle but hesitated. I took a deep breath and pulled open the door.

A rush of air blasted in my face, making my hair whip around my head like flimsy octopus tenticals. I ran a hand through my messy chestnut hair. I glanced around at the small restaurant. Wooden tables were scattered around the room, each accompanied by four or more wooden chairs. On one side of the room, there was a bar with countless bottles of liquor. Across from me, there was the kitchen. A few chairs were lined up against the counter where three men sat talking and laughing away as they watched the television on the wall just above the counter. Some sort of sports channel was playing.

The place looked like a modern restaurant. For some reason, I expected it to be a bit more old school, but in all honesty, I don't particularly mind. Excitement was still flowing through my veins. I know most people hate to work, but when you've been pretty much locked up for two years, then you really start to appreciate every chance you get to work for yourself. No one else.

I scanned the room once again, taking in the numerous costumers waiting for their food.

"Hey! You!"

I snapped my gaze up and saw the man who had been behind the window. He was behind the counter, waving me over. I took one last glance around the room before I made my way over to the man. When I was close enough, I looked at his name tag.

Cal.

So this guy was the owner.

I focused all of my attention on him.

"So, you're the new girl, eh?" He asked with an unimpressed expression. His voice sounded raspy, and I noted how he seemed to be in his late thirties to early forties. He was wearing a gray suit with his hair slicked back. His dark grey eyes seemed cold and emotionless, which kind of scared the crap out of me. He looked out of place. Sure, the restaurant was sort of modern, but he looked like he belonged in a sky high building as a C.E.O. not in some little food diner like this.

I nodded. "Yeah. That's me." I replied, doing my best to sound confident.

"Here at Cal's Diner, we have a policy for our employees." He told me.

Interesting. I waited for him to continue.

"Three strikes, and you're out."

I frowned slightly. I never heard of that policy for a restaurant before.

"Here's how it will go: You make a mistake, one strike. If you make three, then you are fired." He stated.

I gaped at him. "What? But that's-"

He gave me a small glare. "My apologies, Ms. Tyler, but that is simply how things work around here. If you do not like it then by all means," He pointed to the exit behind me, "there's the door. "

I bit my lip to stop any more arguments from spilling out. He took that as a sign to continue.

"Your shift will be from now until five." He clasped his hands together. "Remember: three strikes, Ms. Tyler. Am I clear?"

I nodded again. "Yes, sir."

He gave a little nod of his own. "Good. I have some business to attend to, so hurry along."

I kept my grin under control until he had walked by me. Finally, my face broke out into a huge smile. I was almost sure a few costumers saw and got creeped out but I couldn't help it. I walked over to the counter and saw that there was an employee entrance. An extra outfit was hanging on a hook at the end of the hall. I looked around trying to find another worker.

"What are you doing?"

I spun around to see a guy in a black teeshirt and trousers. He had dark skin and light brown eyes. He too had a name plate labeled Dan. "Um, I'm-"

A flash of realization crossed his features. "You must be the the new girl, am I right?"

I smiled widely again. "Yeah, that's right."

He grumbled to himself. "Fine, go put that uniform-" He pointed at the hook, "on and I'll help you from there."

I nodded enthusiastically before changing quickly. When I came out, I smiled again at Dan. He grimaced.

"Why are you smiling? This ain't Disneyland." He snapped. My eyes widened at his clipped tone. He sighed loudly and dragged a hand down his face. "Sorry. Long day."

"And stressful, I'm guessing? You know, with the whole three strikes thing." I mused. His eyebrows raised. "You have no idea." He motioned for me to come closer. "Lemme tell you something. You can't trust anyone in this place. They've all turned on each other."

I frowned. "Why? This is just a restaurant. You make it sound like The Hunger Games or something."

Dan glanced around the room. "The boss told you he was out, right? Well, since he's not here a lot, he needs someone to watch over everyone here. The thing is, he offers extra money to people who catch the workers who catch anyone doing anything wrong." He explained. I looked around the room and made eye contact with a few of the employees. I received glares and unfriendly glances from each of them.
So that's what he was talking about.

"But, wouldn't he leave the place in the hands of the manager?" I questioned.

"Yeah, but the manager can only catch so much. So, if someone sees you doing something you shouldn't be, manager or not, he or she will rat you out."

Oh, great. My coworkers are backstabbing snitches.

Fun.

I sighed. "So, what do you want me to do?"

"I was told to be your mentor, so first, you will help me get orders from..." Dan flipped a page from his small notebook. "Table five." He looked around before he started walking towards a table in the back of the room. I stayed still and bit my lip again.

Dan looked over his shoulder at me. "Hey, new girl, are you comin'?"

I smiled a little again. I can do this. No strikes.

Just work.

"Let's do this."

***

I threw the gray towel I had been using to wipe the counter down on the table. I blew out an exhausted breath. It was four forty-five and my shift would end in fifteen minutes. There was only one other worker in the building. He was just getting ready to leave, stating that the new guy had to close up on his first day. Dan's shift had ended two hours ago, leaving me to wait the tables alone. It was alright though. After the third table, I got the hang of it.

I braced my hands on the counter before wiping my forehead with the back of my hand. It was a long day, but it was worth it. I couldn't wait to get my pay at the end of the week. I had actually gotten quite a lot in tips. I guess I was more social with the costumers than I had thought I would be.

I stretched my arms before checking the clock on the opposite wall from me. I had five more minutes. I changed out of my uniform and grabbed the keys to the building.

Right as I was hanging my uniform, I felt someone's eyes on my back. I turned my head to the side and saw a man in a long gray coat and a black hat talking on the phone.

He was staring straight at me as he talked.

My movements slowed but I shook my head and continued to put my stuff away. After I finished, I looked back at the window.

The man was gone.

Ignoring my suspicions, I locked up the restaurant and made my way home.

Tomorrow, I would officially be on night shift.

And I couldn't wait.

***

So yeah

Heres chapter ten!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while :p

But I do hope you enjoyed!

Thoughts on the chapter?

Oh, and I want y'all to know that the contract will come soon, so stay tuned for that!

Thanks for reading!

~Sasha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23 0 14
No sooner have I stepped inside than someone speaks up, "Hand over your first born child, Gothel." I spin around to be faced with a mysterious pair...
235K 3.6K 34
A romcom story about a girl and her brother's best friend who always annoyed her but suddenly started acting all possessive over her. ~~ "Don't you...
18.1K 1.7K 24
"You had no right to do that," I snap, trying my best to out walk him. His chuckle was loud behind me and his hand griped on my forearm, stopping me...
62.4K 3.2K 67
You all know the story of Cinderella. The story of how she was a servant with an evil step-mother and step-sisters. Remember how she went to a ball...