La Marquise

By vmpirevnom

In 1773, at the mere age of 13, Adrienne de Noailles is arranged to marry wealthy orphan Gilbert du Motier, M... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 16

49 2 4
By vmpirevnom

December 24th, 1780

I rocked Georges in my arms, bouncing him after his afternoon nap, which made him let out soft giggles. "It's your birthday today, Georges", I cooed, kissing him on the head. "Mama!", he cooed back, tugging on the bodice of my green robe a la polonaise, which I would wear to midnight mass. I smiled at his innocence, "Come on, Georges. We should see what your sister is up to!" I put him down, letting him lead the way to Anastasie's room, he was taking his time while he toddled over there. 

Anastasie was coloring with watercolor paints, laying on her stomach on the hardwood floor and humming a tune she once heard at the opera I took her to. "Dear, let us not make a mess." I sat down in front of her, paying attention to her excited hands. Georges sat on the rug, "Tasie!" I smiled lovingly at him, looking at her painting. Half of the paper were various shads of blue, and she was in the middle of stroking a brown blob with her tiny paintbrush. "What are you painting, my dear?"

"The ship that took papa to A-A-" she struggled to pronounce it. "America", I tenderly filled in the blank, smiling fondly at the painting. I saw it clearly now. She stroked the paint so it curved into a ship, and then started painting the flags. "Yeah", she confirmed. "Can you help send it to him?"

"Definitely, after it dries." I noticed a thin stroke of light blue at the top of the paper. "Don't you want to finish painting the sky, Anastasie?"

"The sky is up!", she insisted, pointing up. I tried not to laugh, "Very well, We shall put this on the table for it to dry." She stood up, toddling to the bedside table, gently placing it. "There we go", I whisked her into my arms, kissing her head. Georges crawled over to me, wanting attention, sitting up and pulling at my skirts. I laughed gently, picking him up, as well. "Mama, may we play in the snow?"

I looked outside through the frosted window at the fresh blanket of snow on the ground, and more snow continued to fall, making Versailles look like a magical winter wonderland. I smiled warmly at the sight, "Yes, we shall." 

"I can get my cloak all by myself!", Anastasie insisted, walking to her closet to get her beloved white velvet cloak. "Alright, my dear. Tell me if you need assistance. I will be bundling up Georges." 

Georges wiggled on my bed, causing me to laugh whilst bundling him up in his fur-lined coat. "Dear, try not to squirm!" He mischievously giggled, kicking his legs while I put his arms through the holes. "There we go, dear." I picked out a green velvet cloak, wrapping it around me, before picking him up and carrying him to Anastasie's room.

"Anastasie, You did a good job! I just need to tie this." I tied the ribbons around her neck, "There we go, all comfortable." I assisted her with her fur mittens, before she bolted out the door, with me following behind her.

"Are you playing in the snow?", Paule asked when I was about to open the front door, with Rosalie standing next to her. I nodded, "Indeed. Would you two like to join us?"

"Please!", Rosalie insisted. "We are extremely bored! Mother keeps claiming this is a 'day of rest'!" Shaking my head at their complaints, I complied anyway. "Alright, but only for a little while. I do not want mother to notice you two are gone, and then blame it on me. Get your cloaks." 

Stepping outside, I held Georges, while Anastasie ran into the snow, making a snow angel. It was his first time seeing snow before. He stuck out his tongue, trying to catch snowflakes, and I laughed. "Is this fun?", I cooed, bouncing him, making him laugh. 

Rosalie and Paule helped each other build a snowman, and Anastasie sat in my lap, getting cold quickly whilst Georges played with the snow. The cold numbed my face, and I was desperate for Gilbert's warmth, just wanting his arms to me wrapped around me. It broke my heart that he was not there, perhaps freezing in his tent, missing his family, with the only comfort he had being Washingtons aides-de-camp, and close friends.

"There's a carriage!", Rosalie pointed, stepping out of the way. Anastasie stood up, and I helped the girls up so they would not slip on the stairs. "Yes, Louis and Louise are here to celebrate Georges' birthday with us, as well as come with us to the feast and midnight mass", I explained.

"We should go inside; we should not be out here", Paule told Rosalie, and my two youngest sisters both scurried into the house. I smiled at Louise, helping her climb up the steps while Louis carried a small package. "Is that for Georges?", I asked warmly, while my son, bundled up in my arms, eyed the package. "Yes, it is. From both Louise and I." 

"Any presents for me?"

"Anastasie!", I scolded, appalled. 

Louise chuckled, "It's alright, Adrienne." she pulled out a small box. "This is for you, to open up on Christmas morning", she kneeled down, giving Anastasie the small box, perhaps holding jewlery or a small toy inside, or perhaps even candy. Regardless, Anastasie's eyes widened, grateful to receive the gift. "Thank you, Auntie Louise!"

"Still, Anastasie, we must never ask for presents, even if we are expecting them", I told her.

"Sorry, Mama."

"It's alright." I smiled, "Come inside, it is frigid out here." 

--

After Georges opened his gifts, it was time to go to the grand feast, with Anastasie and Georges staying at home with a nanny, considering they are too young, already having supper. "Is everyone ready to go?", Mother asked, eager to get there on time. "Yes, mother", Clotilde smiled warmly, hugging Anastasie goodbye. "We are", I told her, putting my gloves on my hands. 

"Very well", said father, opening the door, where the freezing temperatures awaited us. A line of carriages awaited outside in order to carry our whole family. The driver opened the door for Clotilde and I, with Rosalie and I sitting next to each other, and Paule and Clotilde sitting across from us, and off the carriage went. "Has Gilbert sent you a letter recently?", Clotilde asked, making me snap out from looking outside the window, where it was already twilight. "Yes, a few days ago. God, I hope he is alright."

"Do not kid yourself, Adrienne, he will be fine", Paule tried to console me, however I did not believe so. I remember his letters he would send me a few years ago when he was in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, how soldiers were freezing, infected with illness, and dying from starvation. Some did not even have shoes, and some ate theirs because they were so famished. I did not want that to happen to my husband. 

Not before long, the carriage came to a complete stop, causing me and Rosalie to hold each other tight. The door opened, and I stepped out, helping Rosalie down the steps. "It's cold", she told me, while the family walked to the palace, where the feast would be. "It indeed is" I wished I could have covered up more, however we would be inside soon.

Inside the castle, unlike outside, it was warm. The dining hall was full of people in the court and the nobility. Antoinette walked up to me, "Adrienne, I am so glad you could make it this year." I smiled warmly, "I am glad I could come, too, I was afraid something would come up and I would not make it."  She smiled at me, "Well, thank heavens you could. I hate being without a close friend at these gatherings." 

"Happy Christmas, Antoinette", I told her.

"Happy Christmas, Adrienne", she replied back. 

The feast started. I was seated in between Louise and The Comte de Provence, Louis XVI's older brother, much to my disapproval. As I continued to cut my meat, he stopped to make conversation with me. "Is your husband still fighting for the American cause, Madame de Lafayette?" I put on a smile, setting my fork down. "Indeed, he is. I suppose he will be home in a year or two." 

"Is he engaging with other women there?" I noticed while Louise was about to take a bite, her fork stopped midair. My face turned red, and I looked down at my forest green skirt. "Not that I am aware of, Monsieur, and I am sure that he would tell me if he was. And even if he didn't, I do not think he has time for such things right now." I tried to be nice about his behavior, although it was difficult. 

"There are women in camp, right? Camp followers? I heard some of them may be prostitutes." While my face grew redder, I excused myself to take a sip of wine before I could come up with an answer. "My husband would never do such a thing, Monsieur", I said through my teeth. "I'll have you know that he treats women with respect, not as something for sale." 

"Adrienne-", my mother, who was sitting across from me, tried to control my anger.

"I cannot believe you would think of my husband that way. He is more of a man than you'll ever be!", I hissed, standing up, and excusing myself to go to the hallway, with tears running down my cheeks. "Are you alright?" I heard a familiar, soft voice, but not as familiar as one of my friends'. I turned around to look, it was Marie Josephine de Savoy, the Comte de Provence's wife.

"Yes, I am. It's just... I cannot believe he would say such a thing..." She gave my a handkerchief, which I wiped my eyes with. "I do apologize for my husband's behavior, Madame de Lafayette. I believe your husband is a brave man, and would not engage in such acts, either."

I smiled at her, "Thank you, I appreciate it." I stopped crying, it was hard to believe a woman who I barely knew was comforting me. I walked back inside, giving the Comte the cold shoulder, proceeding to eat my delicious meal. 

I said goodbye to Marie Antoinette and her daughter, when it was time to leave for midnight mass. While my family exited into the cold, my father pulled me to the side. "I heard from about five court members and nobility how you talked to the Comte de Provence!", he scolded. "What on Earth were you thinking, speaking to someone with such high of a status that way?!"

I sighed calmly, "I couldn't give a shit about his status from the way he spoke about my husband tonight." His eyes widened, surprised that I used such profanity. "And I do not give a fuck about how this might damage your reputation." I released from his arm, walking outside into the cold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30 0 4
In an ordinary world, with ordinary people, it happened all too often that the tales of old were reduced to mere legends and fairy tales; whose sole...
591K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
5.7K 105 17
A girl from the 21st century. Y/n was a candid, expressive and an intelligent girl. She's currently working as an art teacher at a highschool at New...
37.2K 1K 19
TRIGGER WARNINGS: SELF-HARM, SUICIDE ATTEMPTS, ANXIETY ATTACKS ^•^ Lafayette is broken. Hercules just wants to fix him. One has depression, anxiety a...