The Witch's Destiny || Thrand...

By -aestheteyouth

Violet Potter has been at war for her entire life. It all started almost 27 years ago when Voldemort killed h... More

Cast
DISCLAIMER
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII

Chapter XVI

2.6K 73 29
By -aestheteyouth

TRIGGER WARNING: nightmares, mentions of death, violence and thoughts of it, mentions of the Potters' childhood, mentions of abuse

The cue that it's about to begin will be obvious.

-

The next days were spent sneaking around, finding the small chances to be alone without anybody finding out. Although Violet and Thranduil both had a suspicion that Gandalf knew, they weren't sure how. What they did know, is that every time they were all gathered in one room, Gandalf would try to have it cleared as quickly as could be.

At least he hadn't started winking at them yet.

Other than that, only Galion and Nîdhel knew. And how were the king and his lady meant to keep it from her lady and his butler? It just simply wasn't possible. The important thing was that the dwarves, Legolas, and Authanar were still in the dark. Violet wasn't accused of favoritism and Thranduil didn't have to deal with disapproving eyes on him all the time. Instead, they could relish in their growing feelings.

And, not that Violet would admit it, sneaking around was kind of fun.

One day they could be open. One day they could walk around, holding onto each other and show affection openly, but for now, it was stolen kisses in Thranduil's study or any time a room was empty, really.

Which was what led them to their current situation. Galion had come to pull Violet from speaking with The Company. She had taken Balin aside not five minutes earlier, trying to see if he understood Thorin's reluctance to sign the contract she had yet to draw up.

Thorin's emotional state was near impossible to understand, even more so for Violet, who could hardly keep up with her own tumultuous emotions. Simple emotions? Super easy to pick up on. Those made Violet seem like an empath. A deep dive like Thorin was on?

Violet was lost, just like she was every time she saw the stoic Galion.

"So, Galion," she said, "How are you?"

Galion pursed his lips. "I'm fine, Lady Violet."

Nothing more was said as he led Violet to what was quickly promising to be total solitude with her ellon. He opened the door, and blushed as he saw Violet kiss Thranduil's cheek in greeting.

"Ah, more wonderful displays of emotion, Galion," she teased. Galion scowled, walking out the door muttering to himself.

"He just called you a nosey tease," Thranduil told her, pulling her into his lap and kissing her shoulder.

Violet gasped, looking at the closed doorway. "I am not nosey!"

Thranduil hummed. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure!" Violet said, carefully lifting the Elven-king's crown from his head. They sat in silence for a few minutes, and at some point, Violet reclined fully onto him, almost asleep when she said, "I may like information, but I don't pry to get it."

Thranduil laughed, patting Violet's thigh. "Come on, up. We have very serious business to finish."

-

"Go fish!" Thranduil said, arms resting on his desk. He was sitting in his own chair behind his workstation, with Violet sitting across in the same chair she's used every time she's sat in his study.

"You're lying to me," Violet said, "I swear, I've asked you for almost every card there is and you've said no to every one!"

Thranduil shrugged. "Perhaps you just have not asked me at the right time."

"Perhaps you're lying so you'll win!"

"Do not be angry that I'm beating you at your own game." 

"'Do not be ang--'" Her mocking words were cut off by lips on her own. They pulled apart slightly, kissing one more time, before Thranduil retracted himself across his desk and back into his chair.

He licked his lips, reclining backwards in his own chair. "Do you have any kings?" Violet huffed, pulling out her three kings and handing them over. "Do you have any fours?" The witch's jaw slacked, handing over three fours. "What about sixes?"

"Ha! Go fish!"

The door opened, and Legolas came in with Flufflepuff on his shoulder. The Pygmy Puff jumped down, grabbing on to Violet's shoulder with his claws. She hissed in pain, but saw no blood. "What are you two doing?"

Thranduil smiled at his son, holding up his cards in the air. "Violet is teaching me a new card game, ioneg. I am going to teach her how to play 'taphaen-mîn' next."

"Hello, Legolas," Violet said, smiling. Her gut twisted at the sight of the ellon she considers one of her best friends. It was guilt. The witch didn't enjoy hiding her relationship from someone so important.

But it was for the best. Legolas hadn't exactly been rude about her feelings for his father, and she knew that, but he most certainly was uncomfortable with them. New relationships can be so fragile, and how could she and Thranduil go on without support? At least hiding it, they didn't truly have to face the waters mounting up against them. It was for the best.

Right?

"Hello, mellon nîn. May I join?" Legolas asked, a large smile placed onto his face, rocking back and forth on his heels. "'Tis my favorite game Violet. Did adar tell you how the elves came up with taphaen-mîn?"

Legolas took a seat beside her, and Thranduil had felt that this is all he would ever need. His heart was full. He was content. He was happy. The only thing missing was his brother.

"He did not," she said, looking at her cards, "Do you have any fives?" Thranduil handed over a singular five. "In that ginormous pile of cards you're holding, you only have one five?"

"Yes!" Thranduil exclaimed. Legolas watched as her face twisted, half between accusation and shock. She leaned forward, letting her cards tip back almost unconsciously. Legolas kept his eyes on his father, whose eyes trailed downward to the cards Violet held without the witch noticing.

"Alright, do you have any jacks?"

"My apologies, but I don't know what a jack is. Are you by chance asking about the guards?"

Violet rolled her eyes. "Yes, I am asking about the guards, you irritating man. And just for the record, they're called jacks in muggle cards."

"Well, we're playing with elvish cards, so make it correct."

Legolas sat back, crossing his arms over his stomach, watching with amusement at the two's spat. "You two are like children."

"No we're not!" they said in unison, turning back to laugh with each other.

"Children," Legolas muttered.

"Now," said Violet, "do you have any guards?"

Thranduil looked up with a large grin. "Nope!"

Violet's head shot towards Legolas, a very irritated expression. "Will you please check if he's lying?"

Legolas laughed boisterously, nodding. He got up, peering over his father's shoulder. "No, he's telling the truth. But, why are you holding completed sets in your hand? Lay them down on the table."

Thranduil looked up, confused. "I'm supposed to do that?"

"Yes!"

"Well, how was I supposed to know?! She didn't tell me!" Thranduil said, gesturing towards Violet. When he saw how tight her hands were gripping the cards, he smacked them, lightly, of course. "Stop bending my cards. They are not the source of your ire."

"No, you are! How do you not have anything I seem to ask for and how do I have everything you ask for?" she asked, gesturing wildly with her hands. Thranduil's eyes followed them.

He shrugged. "Beginner's luck?" --his posture straightened out, and he looked very smug-- "Do you have any nines?"

"I give up!"

Legolas, still standing behind his father, said, "If I may give out some advice... Perhaps if you did not continuously flash your cards at him, he would not know what you have."

Legolas and Thranduil began laughing together, holding their torsos. Violet blushed, groaning. "Oh, I was always terrible at cards. I don't have a poker face."

"Aw, come here," Thranduil said, holding his arms out for a hug. Violet glared at him, instead. "Legolas, I don't think she wants a hug."

"Aw, adar, I think she does!" The two ellons moved around the table at the same time, hauling the witch out of her seat by both of her arms, Flufflepuff squeaking in protest at being moved so roughly. Together, they squished her in between them, and any signs of protest from the creature ceased, turning into soft purrs. The father and son were like two sides of the same coin. You could even feel it in their clothes. While Legolas had the hard and rough material of leather, and Thranduil had his robes, the rest of their outfits were made of the same thick material, good for living in the forest.

Leaning over, Violet kissed Legolas's cheek and then leaned back to Thranduil, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I should have known," she started, "We played cards often during our travels, and I don't think I won a singular game. Is that how you won them all?"

Legolas grinned and nodded. A knock sounded on the door. The three pulled away from each other, Thranduil stepping apart from them, calling for the person to come in. It was the guard who had been sent to the border six days ago.

"My king," --he bowed to the king-- "My prince, my lady," -- he bowed to Legolas and inclined his head to Violet -- "The informant was indeed correct, my king. I saw the carcasses myself. They are meant to be intentionally disrespectful. After seeing the elleth home, I tracked the party for two days in the trees. They are indeed heading south towards the exit of the forest. What's worse, they spoke about Azog the Defiler meeting them there. They intend to assassinate the dwarf the moment he exits the forest."

Thranduil nodded, his face unreadable. "Thank you. I shall call on you again if need be. For now, you are dismissed. Take rest; you deserve it." When the guard left the room, Thranduil stayed facing forward, shoulders tensed. "Legolas, go tell your uncle the news."

Legolas nodded, even though his father couldn't see him and left the room without a word, shutting the doors behind him. Violet walked forward, wrapping her arms around the Elven-king, pressing her cheek to his shoulder. Slowly, but surely, he untensed and whispered, "All fun must come to an end." She lifted his arm, and moved under it, wrapping it around her. He brought that hand up to stroke the side of Flufflepuff. Kissing Violet on the forehead, he said, "I shall have to teach you 'taphaen-mîn' later, but for now, you need to go write up that magical contract and convince Thorin to sign it. Threaten that I won't help him escape this forest if you must."

-

A lot of her late morning and early afternoon was spent trying to find the perfect wording for the contract. Magic was tricky, and when you enter into a magical binding, the words matter.

A lot of Flufflepuff's late morning and early afternoon was napping, laid out starfish style on the top of the desk Violet was at in the library.

'I, Thranduil, son of Oropher, King of Mirkwood, solemnly swear to aid the King Under the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield, in the upcoming war against the armies of Sauron.

I understand that, should I betray my oath, the thing I love the most--'

Violet sighed, scratching that out. The word 'thing' was messing with the contract, and she was sure that wording would backfire on her, should one of the two kings mess up. A small mistake could have large consequences. 'War' was also messing with her. What if the war doesn't end here? What if it lasts for years and years? What if one dies? Is the other still beholden to their oaths?

The witch wasn't certain, and she wasn't willing to take the chance. What if she worded it as a battle and then her own actions messed everything up? What if the two weren't willing to form a long-term alliance, and her wording forced them into it?

Violet took a deep breath in, releasing it slowly.

I will make the right decision.

Violet knew this, but all decisions were still heavy, and not a single one in terms of war was to be taken lightly.

For ten minutes, she stared silently at the paper, and made her final decision.

'I, Thranduil, son of Oropher, King of the Woodland Realm, solemnly swear to aid the King Under the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield, in the upcoming war against the armies of Sauron.

I understand that should I choose to break my oath that I will lose the person(s) or object(s) that mean the most to me. I understand that the only way to recover these person(s) or object(s) is to fulfill my oath.

x_____________ Signature of Recipient                  x_____________ Date Signed

x_____________ Signature of Witness                     x_____________ Date Signed'

She smiled, proud of herself, wording one for Thorin in the exact same manner. She made sure she chose those exact words very carefully, ensuring they would have her exact meaning. Tri-folding them, she stood, ready and confident in her ability to convince Thorin that this contract was in his best interest. Before she left, she scooped Flufflepuff up, allowing him to burrow in her neck and continue to nap.

The dwarves were an easy bunch to find in the otherwise quiet castle.

"Follow the noise," she said. Another pair of feet fell into step with her.

"Follow the noise," Gandalf said, echoing her, "You are starting to sound like me."

"Mithrandir," she said warmly, "Of course I am. Where do you think I learned that from? Though, when you taught me, it was 'when in doubt, follow your nose', but still. I think the change fits rather nicely. Don't you?"

"Aye, that I do, my dear Violet," he said and held his non-staff bearing arm out to her. She wrapped her hand into the bend of his arm. "New dress?"

"Believe it or not, but no." She laughed. "This is the first time I've worn it, though."

The dress of the day was similar in style to the cornflower blue one that the orc bit her in. Flowy with a cape about her shoulders, lilac, with bits of details stitched throughout it. Some places were made to resembles branches, and other places had eagles flying about, soaring high above the trees. She was thankful that these details were small and easy to miss, otherwise the dress may have looked gaudy. But Thranduil Oropherion was anything but unfashionable, and he never disappointed with every dress that was presented to her.

"Well, you look beautiful," Gandalf commented, smiling at her.

When they found the dwarves, they were all sitting about, singing songs and laughing loudly in the public garden of Mirkwood. Violet's eyes widened, looking around to make sure no flowers had been destroyed. A meeting with nothing but Thranduil yelling about respecting boundaries sounded less than ideal, no matter how warranted her king would have been to do so.

"Hello, lads," she said, "Thorin. Can I talk to you?"

The singing stopped, as did the joy, and all 12 other dwarves were watching between her and the dwarf king with interest. Yet, it seemed she had caught him off guard, for he just stared at her with wide eyes. It was Balin who pushed the king forward, breaking him out of his shock. Thorin's resolve hardened, and he set his mouth in a hard line, clenching his fists by his side.

"Sure," he said, and walked towards her. They moved over to a bench, Thorin plopping down onto it, and Violet smoothing her dress underneath her before sitting down.

"I have the contract ready."

"Alright."

"Have you decided?"

He sighed. "It's not so easy, Violet."

"What's difficult about it? You can't convince me this is about the bloody animosity between the two races."

"And what if I told you it is?"

"Then I'd call you a liar," she said, crossing her arms across her chest.

Thorin smirked, mimicking her and crossing his arms. "How would you know?"

"Because the Thorin Oakenshield who clasped arms with the Elven-king and declared an alliance with him is sitting right in front of me, and he doesn't make decisions on a whim. You believed the only way to survive this was with Thranduil's help. I highly doubt you would change your mind in a few days."

"Only took me a few days to change it in the first place."

"Because your life was in danger! And it still is! Azog the Defiler will be waiting for you when you exit this forest to go the rest of the way to Erebor. If you wish to make it there, then I can assure you that signing this contract is within your best interests. It's not like Thranduil's says anything different than yours does!" Thorin mumbled something under his breath. "What was that?"

Thorin gritted his teeth as he said, "And yet, he does not need to worry about a strain of madness that runs through his family line!"

"You cannot be certain that is your future," Violet said, "But you can be certain that death is in your future if you and the elves cannot show your, albeit, very shaky, trust in one another."

"Why are you so certain that I won't succumb?"

"Because you have too much to lose. You have a good heart, with love, family, and friendship in your life. Do not underestimate the power of those things."

"You speak as if you say this from experience."

"You've underestimated me before, Thorin. I know all about the protections that being good provides. It's not all downfalls and 'nice guys always finish last'."

Thorin hesitated, before holding his hand out slowly. "May I take the time to read the contract first?"

"Of course, just don't sign it without me present. I'd prefer the both of you to watch the other sign the bloody thing and get this over with in one fell swoop."

"I'll bring you my answer before dinner." Thorin smiled at her, and she smiled back, watching him go past The Company and back into the palace to read and contemplate in peace and privacy.

She sat on the bench for ten more minutes, before the voice of Bombur rang out, "Come on over, lass!"

Violet spent the next few hours laughing, singing, and dancing around with the dwarves. Bofur stomped his feet, singing something about a merry old inn and the man in the moon. Flufflepuff was being tossed around in a game, squeaking in happiness as he soared through the air.

"Oh, dancing with you lot reminds me of my early twenties with Ginny and Hermione. Hermione and I weren't particularly fond of getting drunk, but pubs offered much more than just drinking. We got out, socialized amongst the muggles, danced with them. I watched Ginny challenge more than one grown man to a fight, and then had the absolute pleasure of dragging her away from a man Thranduil's height." Violet giggled at the memory, leaning her back against Bombur's arm and stretching her legs out in front of her. "For reference, Ginny is around 3 inches shorter than me."

All the dwarves laughed, giving a toast to Ginny, even though she wasn't here. Violet took the pipe that was offered to her from Gandalf, taking a puff, and passing it back to the wizard. The forest around them was darker than normal, a sign of the approaching evening. Violet looked up at the palace, spotting Thranduil in a window near them, watching. The witch gave a quick glance around, and then winked at him with the eye that wasn't showing to the dwarves. The Elven-king saw it, and gave a short laugh before walking away.

"You lads may not believe it, but Thorin and I dragged Balin out of Dale pubs many a times. Sometimes we could barely stand ourselves!" Dwalin yelled, howling with laughter at the pink that stained Balin's rather large nose. The rest of the dwarves did the same, holding their stomachs in pain from their seizing muscles. Violet was being jostled around herself from Bombur's own laughter. 

The witch stood up, dusted herself off, and practically turned in circles trying to make sure there was no dirt on her bum. When she was satisfied that her dress was clean, she said, "Alright, lads. This has been great, but I'm hungry. So, if you'll excuse me, I'll see you later when Thorin brings me his answer of 'yes'." She waved, catching Flufflepuff when he was tossed her way, walked off, and when she got to the doorway, Thorin came out of it. She yelled back to the dwarves, "See?!"

Thorin handed the contract back to her. "Consider it done."

"Truly?"

Thorin nodded. "You were right. I did not act on a whim when I first decided to trust the infamous Woodland King in this accursed forest. I am not so arrogant that I cannot believe everything I've been told. When you're ready, come find me and I'll sign that paper."

She nodded enthusiastically, eager at the thought of her plans slowly coming together. She walked inside, heading straight for Thranduil's study. She knocked on the doors, opening them when he said come in. She smiled and headed towards him after placing Flufflepuff on the desk, but stopped short at the sight of three plates. She pointed to them, head cocked to the side slightly.

"Legolas wished to join us when I told him I would most likely be teaching you 'taphaen-mîn' during dinner," Thranduil explained.

"Ah, brilliant," Violet said, as she smiled and stepped closer to him, "Do you expect him to be here for the new few minutes?"

"No." Thranduil smirked. "He's still on shift to train new army recruits for the next ten minutes."

"Fantastic," Violet said, raising her hands to place them on the sides of his face, scrunching her shoulders, and rising onto her tip toes. She felt his hands go around her waist, and she kissed him with all she had. Would she ever tire of this? She didn't think so. Feeling his lips on hers and his hands rubbing her sides through her dress made her feel like nothing would ever go wrong again. "I know Legolas will be here soon, but do you think we have time?"

"Oh, absolutely."

"Great!" Violet pulled away, pulling him towards his desk. "I'll deal!"

"Yes, because it's a good idea to give me first-turn advantage." Thranduil said, reclining in his chair, placing his hand in palm as he watched Violet deal the cards.

When Legolas came in a few minutes later, he watched Violet tell his adar to 'go fish'. His father laughed, pulling a card from the top of the pile, only to laugh harder as Violet's face fell when he told her he pulled the right card. Flufflepuff sat watching them, head bobbing back and forth, and Legolas could hear a faint purr from where he stood.

"Is she doing any better?" he asked his father, sitting down in the seat beside Violet.

"She's showing her cards less, but she's still not very good," Thranduil said, shrugging, before smiling at his son, "Gi suilon, ion." (I greet you, son.)

"Gi suilon, adar," Legolas said, placing his hand on his heart and extending it to his father. The greeting was done in return and after exchanging pleasantries with Violet, he acted like Flufflepuff, head bouncing between the two, waiting to see who would win. (I greet you, father.)

Unsurprisingly, it was Thranduil who won the game, and all three brought their food back to the desk, even with a small plate for Flufflepuff.

"Would you guys believe me if I said that Pygmy Puffs are generally self-sufficient and find food for themselves?" Violet asked, laughing at Flufflepuff practically inhaling his food.

"Yes."

"No."

Thranduil and Legolas spoke at the same time, glancing at each other in surprise.

"Why would you?" Thranduil asked, gesturing with his hands. He picked his fork and knife up, cutting a piece of venison and sticking it in his mouth to chew.

"Because I spent time with her and him in the wilderness. Most of the time, he fed himself, though I don't know on what," Legolas replied.

"Bogeys, insects, and random plants," Violet mumbled, but the elves heard and looked at her incredulously, "Did I say that out loud?"

"Yes!" they said in unison, matching looks of disgust on their faces.

"Bogeys?!" Legolas asked.

"It's an unfortunate side effect. Sometimes, I wake up to a perfectly clean nose. It's just something that happens." Violet shrugged, continuing to eat her food.

"I think I am happy to be always aware of what is going on around me," Thranduil said, awkwardly petting the side of the animal, who purred in happiness, totally unaware in a bliss of a food-induced haze.

"Never mind, that," Violet said, waving her hand in dismissal, "Why didn't you think he could sustain himself?"

"He enjoys being spoiled too much," Thranduil said, gesturing to the dazed creature. Violet pursed her lips, nodding agreement.

The witch then perked up, remembering what she meant to tell Thranduil, before she got... distracted. "Thorin agreed to sign the contract."

"Well, I must say that I am surprised," said the Elven-king lazily with a smirk, "But, I knew you could do it. Perhaps after you and Legolas both lose at 'taphaen-mîn', we can find our allies and sign these papers."

Violet pushed her plate out of the way, determination rearing in her. "Reckon we'll be here all night then."

Legolas laughed, pushing his plate to the side as well. "Okay, in taphaen-mîn, there is a dealer. The name in the common tongue translates to the number twenty-one, and that is your objective: to add your cards up to twenty-one or under, but never greater than it. The guards, queens, kings, and tens all equal ten, the minuis are either one or eleven, and every other card is taken at face value."

Violet stilled, putting the rules together in her head. "Is that not just blackjack?"

"Blackjack?"

"The game you're describing sounds exactly like blackjack, perhaps not so coincidentally also officially named twenty-one. Did the elves make this game? How did it float over to Earth?"

"The elves made taphaen-mîn during The War of the Last Alliance. The soldiers placed bets on their hot water rations. Bold of them, if you ask me. Not much could persuade me to give up a hot bath," Thranduil explained, resting his elbow on the arm of his chair, and placing his chin in his hand, "Still, it was one of my favorite card games to play amongst the ranks."

"And, how long ago was that?" asked Violet.

"Almost three-thousand years ago," the Elven-king replied, pursing his lips, "So, I take it you know how to play?" --she waved her hand in a manner that said 'a little'-- "Alright. Galion!"

The butler entered, and Violet wondered if he was always within a ten feet radius of Thranduil. Did he ever get separation? The thought made the witch want to snort. "Yes, my king?"

"Gather the dwarves, Mithrandir, and Master Baggins into the Council Chamber. And find my brother. Tell him his 'self-care' retreat is over, whatever that means." Thranduil saw Violet smile amusedly over Authanar. "And now I think I know who to ask to find out." Galion nodded and walked out, while Thranduil dealt the cards in the way blackjack -- no, 'taphaen-mîn' was meant to be dealt. "So, Violet, care to share what it is my brother is doing?"

"I merely suggested he take a day away from the dwarves, relaxing in his rooms, reading books, taking a relaxing bath, or whatever he wished really." Thranduil hummed. "Oh, please, it's not bad. I just wanted him to have a day for himself. I was beginning to believe the scrunch between his eyebrows was permanent."

Legolas laughed. "Does not sound like a bad idea, father. Perhaps you should look into doing it, though, your scrunch may already be permanent."

"Says the one growing gray hairs when he is immortal," Thranduil shot back.

Legolas gasped sarcastically. "Well maybe I wouldn't be if you two weren't children!"

Flufflepuff woke up from his nap just to squeal at the two ellons who were getting progressively louder. Violet said, "I do believe what Flufflepuff is trying to say is 'shut up'. But, what I am trying to say is, hit me." Thranduil turned a card over for her. "Okay. I'm going to stay."

Legolas turned new cards over thrice, before sighing. "Bust."

"Are we playing this right?"

"Not entirely," Thranduil said, "If we were, I would have checked to see if I had taphaen-mîn when you asked to stay. Actually, 'tis also a little more complicated than that. I think we are essentially playing the children's version, seeing if anybody can beat the dealer. What do you have?"

Violet turned her cards over. "Twenty."

Thranduil checked his cards and sighed. "You win."

"Really?!"

Thranduil nodded, watching a beaming smile grace the fate of his witch. He smiled softly as she announced she was done playing and would meet them in the Council Chamber, walking out of the door with a little extra pep in her step. Thranduil sighed, going to pour himself a glass of wine to get through this meeting with.

While his father's back was turned, Legolas checked his cards. "You lied!"

"Shh!" Thranduil hushed his son, turning to clean the cards quickly, and put them in the box. "I know I did."

"But, why?" Letting Flufflepuff stay to finish evening nap, the father and son left the room, making their way to a moment in time that could very well shape the future as they know it.

"Small lesson in life, ion nîn. If something is not going to hurt you and will mean the world to somebody else, do it. Look how happy a small win at an oversimplified version of a silly card game made her. Losing the game did not affect me, but winning affected her." (my son)

Legolas frowned, contemplating his father's words for a moment, before nodding. "And here I thought you had nothing left to teach me."

Thranduil paused at the door, turning back to look at his son. "I am your father. There will always be something else for me to teach you."

The Elven-king pushed open the doors, walking with his head high to his normal seat at the table. Thorin was sat at the other end of the table, Gandalf beside him. Authanar was in the chair to the right of Thranduil, seat pulled out, waiting for Legolas. Violet had sat to the left of Thranduil and was also the first to speak. 

"Okay, first of all, I would like to thank you both for being cooperative. Makes this job a lot easier, truly," Violet started, "Now, before I hand you these contracts, can you both agree that this orc problem is now a conjoined problem?"

Thranduil smirked, a prideful look on his face. "'Twas always a conjoined problem, mellon nîn. The only difference at this moment is it is now a problem we will work on together. I, in particular, am looking forward to hearing your riveting ideas."

He had said this in his king tone, the one he always used in front of outsiders, a haughty and bored sound emanating around the room. But Violet knew he was being serious with all the consideration in the world. He would, truly, be looking forward to hearing her 'riveting ideas'.

Problem was, she wasn't entirely sure she had any ideas. Limited experiences with orcs meant her ideas weren't as big, with significantly less confidence.

"Well, I'll be sure to let you know my brilliant plans when I think of them myself," Violet said with face twisted to reveal sheepishness. She straightened her face out and said, "Actually, I'd like to talk with you, you, and you before I finalize anything." She pointed to Thranduil, Authanar, and Thorin as she said those words. When she finished, she looked at Thranduil and spoke with a tone of finality, "And I want a scout sent to the borders. I want to know when they arrive, how many there are, any information about them I can get."

Thranduil gave a single nod. "As I have said before, you have full command of my army. If you say a scout must be sent, then a scout shall be sent." He looked at the guard, who seemed to know exactly what his king was conveying with a single look. Violet didn't see a nod nor his mouth move, but the guard nodded, bowed low, and left the room to send their third scout off.

"Brilliant!" she said, gathering the contracts in her hands and standing from her chair. She began to reach over to Thranduil to place his down when a knock came on the door. Thranduil yelled a command in Sindarin, and a new guard entered, one that was positioned near the Raven Tower.

He bowed for his king, extending a hand to the king with a sealed note in it. Thranduil gathered the note and nodded to the guard when he rose, unsealing whatever information was held inside. Thranduil's eyes betrayed no emotion, but she could see his grip tighten on the parchment, the sound of it crackling in the air. He looked to Violet, and his next words sent a blaze of emotions through her chest.

"Our scout at Dol Guldur has sent us the time that Sauron's armies plan to march on the mountain," Thranduil said, eyes sliding to the other occupants in the room before they came back to rest on Violet's, "They will march on the fourth day of rhîw according to the elven calendar."

Multiple dwarf mouths opened, ready to fire questions off, but Gandalf swooped in just in time, translating it to a dwarven calendar. Violet sat down in her chair, feeling the adrenaline, worry, anticipation, and most of all, resolve solidifying itself into her. All the uber-specific information she was getting during her second war command made her job easier, and yet somehow more difficult. She wondered if knowing the date would affect her planning in the way she made decisions.

Looking to the three elves in front of her, she whispered, "Can somebody tell me how many days away that is? How many months into the future?"

To her surprise, it was Authanar that answered, "One hundred and twenty two days away, or a little more than four moons into the future."

She nodded. "Got it." Contemplating for a moment, she turned to Gandalf, "Mithrandir, you wouldn't happen to be able to translate that date into the Gregorian calendar, would you?"

"Ah, as a matter of fact, I can. The eighteenth day of the eleventh month, Violet," Gandalf replied, inclining his head to her, a look of pride on his face at her taking the lead.

"I do not believe there is reason for her to remain at Dol Guldur," Thranduil said, chewing on his lip unnoticeably, "She has endangered her life enough."

"I agree." Violet nodded, grabbing a piece of empty parchment from the middle of the table and Thranduil's quill. She did math as quickly as she could, hoping her numbers were correct or, at the least, only slightly off. "Thank Merlin, that takes us down to twenty-five thousand orcs."

The dwarves chattered amongst themselves, a tear between thrill and fear in their voices, but Bilbo just looked around nervously, utterly aghast that anybody could be cheerful in the midst of this news, yet dwarves were dwarves. On the other hand, Gandalf looked perplexed.

His hand covered his mouth for a moment, and when he pulled it away, he spoke, "Where did you get that number from?"

"Legolas captured an orc, and so we interrogated it--"

"Yes, Violet got bit," Legolas interrupted.

She glared at him, and continued, "The orc said hundreds like him were born by the day, so I just took the base number, ten-thousand, the number one hundred, the amount of days, and did some maths to figure out the big number."

"I do believe you may be overestimating Sauron. In his strongest days he could birth hundreds of orcs in a day, but he is not at his strongest. That does not mean we underestimate him, no, but I do believe that orc was lying to you," Gandalf explained, placing his hands on the table.

"And what proof do you have of this?"

"I have no tangible proof, just my own experiences and the knowledge that power breeds power. Whatever Sauron can derive now is purely based on the fear of his name and his Nazgul."

Violet spared a brief look with Legolas, who seemed to believe Gandalf. Focusing her gaze on the table, Violet thought back to her days with Riddle to find the pattern. Pure-blood mania still ran wild, even when the spokesman for the cause was thought to be dead by most. Riddle's name was enough to breed some sort of fear and power, with most people unable to even utter the name 'Voldemort'. Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself, and with fear came power. Anything you were afraid of bore power over you, even if only in the most minute ways. It was only when Riddle was reembodied did Death Eaters start presenting themselves, pulling stunts such as their attack at the World Cup.

When she looked back up, she nodded. "Alright. So, then, what's our new number?"

"I would much prefer giving you a range. The numbers could range anywhere between sixteen-thousand, nine hundred and fifty to twenty-two thousand."

"So, then my goal will be to gather twenty-two thousand soldiers before the one-hundred and twenty-two days are up." --she turned to Thorin-- "You. Send off a raven to Lord Dain before bed tonight. Explain the situation, but don't lose your pride and resort to begging."

"Don't worry," Thorin said, "I'll remind him who he is."

She grinned at the dwarf king, before turning to Thranduil. "You. I need to get Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond soon, so we can explain what we know and get a head count on the promised numbers. And me, I need to re-write these contracts."

Ignoring the questions of why, Violet set off to writing.

'I, Thranduil, son of Oropher and King of the Woodland Realm, do solemnly swear to aid the King Under the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield during the upcoming battle that will fall in the early days of the season of winter, according to the elven calendar.

I understand that should I break my oath that I will lose the person(s) or object(s) that mean the most to me. I understand that the only way to recover these person(s) or object(s) is to fulfill my oath.

x_____________ Signature of Recipient                  x_____________ Date Signed

x_____________ Signature of Witness                    x_____________ Date Signed'

Like earlier, she wrote a second copy tailored to Thorin, before placing the fresh contracts in front of their recipients. Both kings hesitated for a moment, having the common sense to re-read the papers before they signed them, but they did sign them in the end. Violet took them back, using her wand to dry the ink, and tri-folding them.

The relief that one part of her plan had been done was sitting in her mind, and her burden got the slightest bit better. Still, the relief did little to quell that voice that told her she was making the wrong decision.

Instead of festering on it, Violet shoved that feeling away under lock and key, not to hide from it, but to tell it that it didn't matter. She knew she was making the right decision. There was another feeling that she couldn't just hide.

One that told her the worst was yet to come.

-

In true recent Gandalf fashion, he cleared the room of everyone in it as quickly as possible, but instead of leaving with them, he stayed behind, staring out the window. Thranduil and Violet glanced at each other out the corner's of their eyes, before Gandalf turned around, putting a hand to his chest in mock surprise.

"Oh! Don't mind me. I shall be facing this window, watching the trees, waiting for a few minutes while people say their... friendly goodnights or goodbyes, whichever they prefer," he said, turning back to facing the window, hands on his hips. Thranduil rolled his eyes, pulling Violet into a corner close to the door. The girl cast a quick Muffliato, hoping it actually worked on Gandalf, though she supposed it did not truly matter if it did or not.

"You did well tonight," he whispered with a smile, "A true born leader, my darling."

"Thank you," she replied, wrapping her arms around his back, placing her head on his shoulder, "Hmm. It feels more real. I feel more confident in my decisions, much more confident, actually,  but the decisions are still a heavy one. Even one small oversight can throw the vision I have in mind away. Twenty-two thousand soldiers is a high ask."

"I would be worried if you took these decisions lightly, but your friends and I will be here the entire time, seeing this through to the end with you," he said into her hair, arms wrapped around her shoulders, "Go to bed, try to relax. Flufflepuff is in my office and I'm sure Nîdhel will help you into your night clothes, should you need."

"I'll be okay," she said, scrunching her nose slightly, "I enjoy having her fix my hair and lace any dress strings I might need, but I prefer getting dressed and undressed myself, no matter how complicated some of the dresses are."

Thranduil laughed. "Most people do, I'd say, but the offer is still there."

Violet lifted her head off of the ellon's shoulder, brushing her lips against his lazily. She whispered, "Goodnight, love." Thranduil responded by turning his head to see if Gandalf had stayed true to his word. When he confirmed, he turned back to Violet, pressing his own lips to hers in a blissful heat. By Merlin, did this man have a magical kiss. When they parted, he smiled to see her a little dazed. "Perhaps I am a bit more awake now."

Thranduil grinned with a haughty look upon his elegant face. "Goodnight, darling. Let me attend to Mithrandir so I may retire as well."

"Yes, he looks like he's positively itching to tell you something," she said, narrowing her eyes, "Good luck."

He pressed one last kiss onto her knuckles, before he turned back to Gandalf. Violet quickly uncast the charm from earlier, walking to find Flufflepuff so they could sleep. The witch may have been awake a minute ago, but taking a silent walk throughout the palace had her itching to get her sweatpants and t-shirt on.

When she reached Thranduil's study, she slipped quickly inside, scooping up the Pygmy Puff patiently waiting for her. Kissing his fur, she walked back out and made her way to her rooms. When she got there, she wasted no time in shedding her dress, placing per pajamas on, and laying in her bed. Normally, Violet would take some time to decompress, get in a relaxed state of mind before she tried to fall asleep, but the day had been long, and she broke from her usual routine.

That was the second night that Violet had a nightmare.

Violet was falling, she knew that, and it wasn't long before the floor of the Department of Mysteries appeared in her eyesight, but she hovered above the floor instead of smashing into it. She looked around, spotting her younger self watching the prophecy with anger.

For a whole year this small object had haunted her very being. How was it that a fourteen year old was meant to be taught to lead an army? And all without being able to tell her brother, her other half.

'It's not time,' they would tell her.

Perhaps if she smashed the prophecy, maybe it would never come true. The older Violet knew what her younger self was thinking, as if she was still that young girl.

She pushed herself off the ground, looking up to see a column with smoke floating around it. Inside the column looked beautiful, like it could hold everything one would ever want, shimmering and shining like pearls. Violet could hear wind coming from it, softly, like it was whispering into her ear.

"The voices," Harry said, "Can you hear what they're saying?"

"That's what that sound is?" younger Violet asked, not taking her eyes off the mirror. Nobody answered her question.

"There's no voices, Harry. Let's get out of here," Hermione said.

"I hear them too," Luna said. The shimmering inside the column seemed to get brighter and more beautiful by the second, and younger Violet felt herself walk forwards, but Harry caught her arm. Still, she didn't remove her eyes and tried once more to move forward.

"Violet, stop," Harry said, "We don't know what that is."

"It calls to me," she said. The older Violet walked forward, also trying to snap her younger self out of it, but it was like they couldn't see her. It was like she was being forced to relive her worst nightmare from an outsider's view, like she was in a pensieve.

"Then hang up," her brother replied. Noise sounded from behind them, and Harry yanked himself around. "Get behind me."

Ron grabbed the young Violet, forcing her to turn around. She blinked a few times, holding her wand up in the same direction as everyone else. Black smoke flew around them, knocking them all down, and quickly, it was only her younger self and Harry huddled together on the ground.

All their friends had been grabbed by Death Eaters, wands at their throats. A laugh sounded, and Lucius Malfoy stepped up.

"Did you actually believe - or were truly naïve enough to think that children stood a chance against us?"

Young Violet grit her teeth. "What? Old hags who, up until now, were struggling to win against these children?"

Lucius stalked forward, but stop when she shoved her wand further out. Bellatrix laughed, almost as if she was truly amused by Violet, looking her up and down. A flash of light came from the side, and the older Violet thought she heard her name being called by Gandalf, but as quick as it came, it was gone again in a puff of smoke.

"Give me the prophecies," Lucius said, smirking at them both, "...or watch your friends die."

Young Violet looked at her brother, watching to see what he would do. He looked around, looking at his friends, at Neville, who called for him to not do it. But, Harry was Harry, and he didn't listen, handing the prophecy to Lucius.

It was like the fated prophecy had distracted him from her own, for he held Harry's up to the light, looking at it like it was a god. He was so entranced by it, that neither he nor any Death Eaters noticed the flash of light that turned into Sirius Black.

Lucius turned around, but Sirius was already there. "Get away from my godchildren."

He threw a mean right hook, sending Lucius rolling down the hill, while multiple white lights flew around the room. Violet kept her own eyes on Lucius watching as her brother's prophecy smashed and evaporated into thin air.

Young Violet knew her own prophecy failed in interest compared to her brothers, and it was mostly just collateral, but she took great pride and happiness at throwing it to the ground, seeing the Malfoy's terrified face turn positively horrified.

Tonks appeared at her younger self's side, grabbing the girl by the arm to keep her close. Moody, Shacklebolt, and Remus also appeared, and thus began the battle. Tonks ran all the students minus Harry behind rocks, trying to keep them away, but when the first spell was thrown, Violet ran out from behind them. No logic could compare to her brother's safety. She shot spells wherever needed, making her way as quickly as she could to her brother's side. She yelled 'expelliarmus', disarming Harry's opponent, and allowing Sirius to quickly dispose of him.

Lucius turned around, trying to decide which side was harder to deal with. Sirius didn't give him a choice, shooting spell after spell, knocking Lucius away.

But, then came the twins' nightmare. A green flash came from behind Harry, hitting Sirius in the chest. The pair watched as their godfather fell into the veil, disappearing forever. And with him, Violet's hopes and dreams of the 'proper family' he had promised them. Older Violet screamed loudly, crying out in anguish. As if her memories weren't enough, she had to relive it.

Harry screamed too, but the younger Violet was fully numb, staring at the spot.

"Sirius?" she whimpered, tears finally gathering in her eyes. Tonks once more came to her side, but stayed back. And once more, when her brother ran, so did Violet.

She took every taunting of Bellatrix, allowing it to fuel her anger. Before long, no other emotion was felt in her body and every step was because of pure unadulterated rage. Harry yelled the torture curse, but it did nothing except stun Bellatrix for only a moment, as she fell to the ground.

"Avada Kedavra!" yelled young Violet. The bright green spell shot out of her wand, only missing Bellatrix by an inch as she moved out the way. Except, this time, she looked terrified. Violet was never good at hiding her emotions.

Bellatrix Black would have died that day, and she knew it. The older Violet ran up to her, fully intent on choking her, but heard her name called instead.

"Violet," a man's voice said. The tortured woman looked up, seeing her love standing there. Thranduil stood there, like an angel with white light behind them.

"Thranduil?" she whimpered, "How are you here?"

"I'm here to wake you up, but you need to want to wake up, darling. I need you to help me," he said, grabbing onto her arms. The older Violet turned around, watching as Voldemort trapped himself inside her brother. Thranduil spoke again, with more urgency, "Violet, we need to leave."

But the woman was stuck, watching as Voldemort control him. Her brother was strong, but even he had weak points. His arm flung towards Violet without his permission, shooting a spell at her. She blocked it quickly, as well as another. With a yell, Harry forced his arm down to his side.

"You're the weak one," he whispered to what looked like himself, "and you'll never know love... or friendship. You'll never know what it's like to be one half of a whole. You'll never know what it's like to have such a close bond with a twin... And I feel sorry for you."

"Violet!" Thranduil called, grabbing her from behind, trying to forcefully drag her towards the light. Voldemort was expelled from her brother's body, and she could feel Thranduil shudder and groan at the pure evil that came from the Dark Lord. His grip lessened slightly, and Violet saw her chance, but he tightened it again even harder, and successfully dragged her through the light.

The witch sat up quickly, sobbing with gasps of air escaping her, clutching onto the front of Thranduil's tunic, nearly knocking him backwards from where he was kneeling on the floor. She looked over his shoulder, seeing the concerned faces of The Company and Gandalf, but she closed her eyes again, burying herself into Thranduil as he hushed her, running his hand down the back of her head.

"He made my brother," she sobbed out.

"I know, darling," he whispered, "I know, but it's the past and you know that Harry would never do that. You need to calm down before you make yourself sick."

Flufflepuff had scurried up Thranduil's back, squeaking incessantly at Violet in concern. Slowly, she calmed down, and Gandalf ushered the dwarves and Bilbo out the door as best he could. They fought back, wanting to make sure the witch was okay, but he assured them that she was in good hands and didn't need to be crowded.

She began to talk, keeping her eyes in Thranduil's neck, not wanting him to see her expression, "When I was younger, Harry and I were all each other had. I told you my family weren't good people."

Thranduil tensed slightly. "Melleth nîn, we do not need to discuss this now--"

"Yes, we do," she said in a firm tone of voice, tensing herself. Thranduil repeated the word 'okay', smoothing her hair down again. "They hated us, Thranduil. They made us sleep in a cupboard underneath the stairs until they thought Hogwarts knew. There was hardly enough room for us to both lay in there, much less use it as a bedroom. They starved us, Thran. Do you know that I was severely underweight until I was thirteen years old? Harry was in the safe zone by twelve and a half, but I was always taller. They told us our parents died in a car crash, when, in reality, they were murdered!"

Thranduil clenched his jaw, chewing on his lip in anger. "Did they...?"

"Hit us?" She laughed. "Sometimes. Usually not. Beneath their hateful exterior, they were terrified of us. Reckon it saved us loads of beatings in our childhood."

"But magic should not be what was saving you from that," he said, "I know I cannot fix the past, nor is it my place to apologize, nor do I think you want me to apologize, so I will not. But I promise you, that as long as it is within my power, you shall never have to live like that again."

She nodded, clutching her fists to his tunic tighter. The door opened, and she looked to see that it was Gandalf, with Legolas in tow, one carrying a tray with tea on it and some herb, the other carrying lettuce for Flufflepuff. Thranduil did his best to lift himself from the floor without jostling Violet too much, but she pulled back, settling into his side when Legolas knelt in front of her.

"Hey," he whispered, "Mithrandir told me what happened." --he handed the lettuce to his father, who in turn held it for the animal-- "I brought you some herbs alright? Medicinal ones that will help you have a dreamless sleep. Violet, how long has this been happening?"

She shrugged in a weak manner. "This is only the second time, but last time I woke up." --she shook her head-- "I'm fine, really. Sometimes the memories creep up. It's just what happens."

Legolas went to say something else, but his father's hand landed on his shoulder. When he looked up, Thranduil shook his head. Legolas sighed, nodding, and stood up, walking to the door. The Elven-king passed Violet, and by extension, Flufflepuff, to Gandalf, walking towards his son.

"Was it terribly bad?" Legolas asked.

Thranduil chewed the inside of his lip, crossing his arms. "Master Baggins told me she had been screaming for five minutes and Mithrandir could not wake her. Her own magic pushed back against his like it was a foreign entity. I can only guess it was her own way of trying to protect herself, twisted as it may sound."

"How did you manage to get her out?"

"The only thing I knew to do in that moment. I reached out to her fae with my own, tried the best I could to untangle the darkness that was attempting to ensnare her dreams." (Sindarin for spirit)

"You did well, ada," Legolas said, "When you say darkness..."

"'Twas not Sauron, if that is what you are asking. That was just her own darkness, trying to capture the light that her fae radiates."

The prince's eyebrows furrowed, the concern shining in his eyes. "Will she be alright?"

"In the long run? Yes. And we will be here for her. She is family now, yes?"

"Of course," Legolas said, but his gut still twisted uncomfortably at the look in his father's eyes. So much of him screamed in protest at that look, but the other half screamed at him that this was Violet, one of his favorite people. But every time he saw that look in his father's eyes, pictures of his nana flashed through his mind. Smiling, running, stroking his face, walking around the palace attached at the hip with her husband, and all the warmth that came with it. And yet, when he looked at his friend, shaking and trembling next to Gandalf, watching him and his father like a hawk, he knew that tonight was not the night to deal with those feelings. Legolas smiled at Violet, and walked back, kneeling in front of her. "Will you be alright? Do you need me to stay?"

She gave him a small smile, reaching out to touch his shoulder. "I'll be fine. Brilliant, after I drink this tea. Go, run in happy dreams for me." Legolas smiled, squeezing the hand that was resting on his shoulder, and left the room with one last look at her. Thranduil walked away from the door, making Violet's tea for her exactly how she liked, crushing the herbs up and letting them melt as he stirred them with a spoon.

When he reached her, he held the tea out. "Drink."

"I will, in a moment. I need a few more minutes to just sit." She felt Gandalf shift against her side, and she sat up as she turned to look at him. "Thank you for bringing me the tea, Mithrandir. And for trying to get me. I heard your voice call my name."

"We were so worried, dear girl. I will leave you now, so you can get your rest," Gandalf said, rubbing his hand down the back of her head, "I do believe you are in fine hands."

Violet nodded, and so Gandalf left the two alone. Balancing the tea in one hand, Thranduil attempted to guide his witch to scoot back so she could drink her tea and lay down. He handed it to her, and she drank it, handing the cup back to him. Flufflepuff curled up in her neck after she laid back, and Thranduil spread her Weasley blanket over her.

"Please don't leave me yet," she whispered.

He pressed his lips softly against her head, whispering, "I would not even dream of it."

Moving towards her vanity, he grabbed the chair that sat in front of it, moving it to her bedside, and sitting down. She clutched at his arm desperately, trying to assure herself that he was still there, and that she wasn't alone.

And she wasn't. For the whole night, he sat by her bedside, watching over her, spilling a few tears over her childhood, and fading in and out of his own dreamlands where she was happy, healthy, and thriving far away from any war or pain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

937 44 7
"It's time.." The Smith said to his wife as she cradled their child in her hands. The green lady looked at her husband, on the verge of tears. "He wi...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
18K 685 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...
323K 13.1K 50
You have grown up under the care of Radagast the Brown, and on an errand to King Thranduil of Mirkwood you encounter Thorin Oakenshield's Company, th...