The Shifter And The Dragon Ma...

By Zane2343

Y/N is an interesting Viking, he has a secret that involves his past that must be kept hidden. A Strange way... More

Information and useful links
Prologue Part 1: A Shifter Found
Prologue Part 2: A Friend Found
Prologue Part 3: A New Threat
Prologue Part 4: A Night's Rescue
Prologue Part 5: A New Home
Prologue Part 6: A Family lost
Prologue Part 7: Berk
Chapter 2: An Unlikely Reunion
A/N: Not a Chapter
Chapter 3: Dragon Training
Chapter 4: Anger and Control
Chapter 5: Befriending a Night fury
Chapter 6: A Story Retold...

Chapter 1: The Raid of Berk

881 34 10
By Zane2343

'Three Years of living on the island of Berk, I learned everything from reading and writing Norse to training of being a viking, Wolf didn't like that part but he accepted it. Oh, after Gothi opened his home to me I became her apprentice and I started to understand what some of her small gestures meant seeing as she would either just write on the ground in runes or make gestures for me to on what to do. I guess I also became hiccup's best friend... no, brother. But that didn't replace the hole that Zyrus left in my heart. No one can replace it, just muffle the pain. I'm 15 now and Hiccup is the same just older by a few months.'

(y/n) was writing in his journal when he looks outside seeing the fire as while as the dragons he closes his journal, grabbing his War fans as while as his Medicine bag with some of the most useful herbs for helping vikings that get wounded on the battlefield.

Deeming his equipment acceptable, (y/n) calls out while rushing outside "Gothi, I'm going out there," he calls to the small medicine woman who is in the front room of the healer's hut. She waves a dismissive hand, already busy readying her own supplies and tools for the inevitable injuries that come with a raid. (y/n) smiles and stops long enough to drop a quick kiss to her wrinkled cheek before he hurries out the door. He doesn't see the fond smile the action earns him.

For the last three years the queen ordered the enslaved dragons to raid the island and capture (y/n), but instead of being captured and returning with their prize, they returned empty handed but it hasn't stopped for years. It's chaos outside, as he expected. Vikings are running in every direction swinging weapons or dousing fires or guarding livestock. (y/n)'s eyes are sharp as he scans every person he passes. Thankfully, no injuries look serious enough to need his help yet.

"Chief!" he calls when he finally reaches the large man. "Anything?" Stoick spares the young healer a short glance as he swings his hammer at a passing Deadly Nadder, scowling when the dragon avoids the hit and flies off. "Not yet, no. Hopefully you won't be needed tonight."

(y/n) doesn't bother to feel offended. He hopes with every raid his skills won't be needed. (y/n) decides to rush to the forge where most viking that get injured know to go to find him. It may or may not also be so he can keep an eye on hiccup.

Unfortunately, (y/n) soon finds himself near the blacksmith's forge with an injured arm in his care. The cut isn't too deep, but it needs bandaging if Spitelout plans to keep fighting.

Stubborn as Vikings are, (y/n) knows they are. "Hurry it up, boy!" Spitelout tells him. "There's a raid going on!" (y/n) doesn't hesitate to yank a little too harshly on the bandages. He smirks at the sharp intake of breath and cut off yelp it earns. "What have I told you about rushing me?" he asks. After a few more moments Spitelout's arm is taken care of as he rushes back into battle.

(y/n) soon hears a lot of the vikings telling Hiccup to get inside because he is considered a nuisance. "Hiccup!" (y/n) train of thought was interrupted when Stoick grabbed the boy into the air. "What's he's doing out!? What are you doing out!? Get inside!"

Stoick sees (y/n) is still close by and with a simple nod (y/n) understood what he needed to do. "I know get Hiccup to safety and take out any dragons and or help the injured." Stoick nodded as (y/n) sprinted towards the forge with Hiccup by his side. Soon they found themselves at the forge and Gobber telling them that they could have been carried off. "What? No, they wouldn't know what to do with all this." Hiccup said while posing his small muscles.

'After the raid, feed him lots of fish and mutton. Get him all fat up and train him till he drops. That should get him to have some impressive muscles.' Wolf spoke mentally. (y/n) chuckled at both Hiccup and Wolf's comments.

"Well they need toothpicks don't they?" Gobber jokes. (y/n) rolled his eyes while he helped Hiccup opened the shop and brought the broken weapons to work on them. (y/n) helps passing the weapons to Hiccup and Gobber to help when he isn't busy with anyone's wounds . (y/n) was about to pass a sword when he found Hiccup over the edge of the counter staring dreamily at Astrid.

'I don't like that girl.' 'Not a perfect mate for Hiccup either. Unless something happened that changed her mind about him. Hiccup? He needs a more appropriate name, don't you think?' 'Agreed, how bout Kaylzrorth?' (y/n) asked jokingly. Wolf snorted chuckling in his head. 'As in the clumsy? Hiccup may be clumsy but he is very smart. Gifted even. How bout Payveg or Tyndag? Both mean bright and gifted by the ancient dragon tongue of Noctis.' 'What about a Shifter name?' 'I don't know it depends on the person. But I think Lightning is good for him because of his quick thinking and his speed ...if only he wouldn't stop tripping on his own feet.' Wolf chortled.

(y/n) snorted in amusement and caught Hiccup before Gobber could reach him but he still complained. "Oh come on. Let me leave my mark." "You'll get your mark. All in the wrong places!" Gobber said pointing repeated at Hiccup's chest. He wouldn't have it however. "Come on, just one minute. I'll kill a dragon and I might even get a date." (y/n) felt Wolf rolled his eyes in the back of his head. (y/n) crossed his arms and pointed out a few things. "Hiccup. Your my best friend and basically my brother. But you can't lift a hammer, swing a sword, or throw one of these."

When (y/n) lifted the last thing a viking grabbed it and threw it at a gronckle knocking it out of the sky. 'Another one lost.' Wolf sadly crooned. Hiccup, the most stubborn brother that (y/n) ever had showed his newest invention, which (y/n) widen his eyes at. "Which is why I have this to throw it for me." Hiccup commented before it suddenly activated and hit a viking to the head. 'HAHAHA! NICE!' Wolf laughed at the unfortunate viking 

Gobber glared at Hiccup and walked towards him. "Now this here is what we're talking about!" "Minor Calibration issue-" Hiccup tried to explain but was interrupted by Gobber. "Don't. If you want to kill a dragon, you have stopped all... this." Gobber said gesturing to Hiccup's body. (y/n) and Wolf were horrified. To judge someone by their looks is not a way to make things better. "GOBBER! You just gestured to 'all' of him!" (y/n) yelled but Gobber smiled and responded, "Yes! (y/n)'s right, stop being all of you."

Wolf and (y/n) screamed in (y/n)'s head about how idotic Gobber is being right now. Hiccup agreed with (y/n) coldly. "Ohhhh" "Ohhhh yeah" Gobber responded. "You think you can keep all of this raw vikingness contained. THEIR WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!" 'I agreed. If a hatchling's family keeps them isolated from the outside world. It will never prove itself to its family and the consequences can cause problems for both.' (y/n) sighed.

'Sadly vikings don't care about the consequences. I can't believe Gobber would say that. OF ALL VIKINGS!' "I'll take my chances." Gobber replied blankly. "Sword. Sharpen. Now." Gobber handed Hiccup a sword to sharpen but before he left, he glanced at (y/n) only to flinch in fear when his eyes met (y/n)'s.

The message was clear. (y/n) was mad at him for what he said to Hiccup. (y/n) turned towards Hiccup and walked towards him when Gobber left. "Hiccup? Forget what Gobber-" (y/n) was interrupted when he heard the familiar sound of a night fury diving and the screaming of. "NIGHT FURY! GET DOWN!" Then on cue, the vikings ducked for cover when the night fury fired its plasma bolt at the catapults. (y/n) turned towards Hiccup, but he wasn't there and when (y/n) turned around Hiccup's invention it was gone as well. (y/n)'s eyes slitted for a second. "Son of a eal-eater." He mumbled frustrated and ran to track Hiccup down seeing as it seemed his skills wouldn't be needed during this raid.

(y/n) soon found Hiccup screaming while being chased by a monstrous nightmare. "Hiccup! I'm coming!" (y/n) yelled in fear. That's one of (y/n)'s weaknesses. He is completely vulnerable when his loved ones are in critical danger. But he can still fight if the option stands. (y/n) ran full speed at the dragon and unsheathed claws ready to kill the dragon to protect Hiccup but Wolf stopped the claws halfway. 'No Obsidian! We need to keep what you are a secret or the village will kill you! Save Hiccup but don't use your draconic power use your speed and agility!' 'Ugh fine. We'll try it your way.' (y/n) sheathed his claws away and threw one of his fans at the dragon just barely cutting it's cheek. All of a sudden Stoick came out of nowhere and tackled the dragon away from Hiccup.

(y/n) jumped onto a crate and landed on the dragon's back. He started slamming his fist on the dragon's head when it tried to shake him off but with no success. With one final hit (y/n) jumped off the dragon's back when it started to fly away (y/n) landed right by Stoick. When the shifter and Chief turned towards a burning pillar which started tilting away and finally collapsing to reveal Hiccup but the pillar started destroying stuff causing (y/n), Wolf and Hiccup to winced every time it hit something and finally the broken pillar reached the captured nadders which allowed them to escape. 

"Sorry dad." Hiccup said. (y/n) watched the dragon's leave with their food once again and sighed, turned to go to help Gothi with any inquires until he heard "But I hit a night fury." (y/n) widened his eyes in disbelief and Wolf growled impossible as (y/n) turned to ask how but it was interrupted when Stoick instantly grabbed the back of Hiccup's vest and carried him to the middle of the village but Hiccup kept going. "No I actually hit it. It crashed into the forest. We can send a scout party and then-" "STOP!" Stoick yelled shutting Hiccup up. "Just Stop. Whenever you show up, disaster follows! Winter is coming and I have an entire village to feed!" Stoick stated. Once again Hiccup made his famous sarcastic comments. "To be honest we could use a little less feeding." He sarcastically said.

(y/n) glanced to his right and saw a few vikings taking offense to that comment and putting a hand on their stomach. 'He has a point. They need less drinking too.' Wolf agreed but (y/n) still felt the disbelief of what Hiccup said earlier and agreed. Stoick didn't like Hiccup's comment. "THIS ISN'T A JOKE HICCUP! Why don't you follow the simplest orders?" Stoick said tiredly at the end. "It's just when I see a dragon, I just want to kill it. You know, It's who I am, dad."

(y/n) put his hand on Hiccup's shoulder and he turned to my direction. "Hiccup you are many things but a dragon killer. Isn't one of them." (y/n) said with a smile but it didn't cheer Hiccup up and Stoick didn't make it better. "Get him home. I got his mess to clean up." (y/n) growled and caught Stoick's attention. "Make sure (y/n) goes there too so he can actually watch Hiccup this time so he can see if Hiccup got injured again"

Hiccup glanced at (y/n) in shock. Stoick never treats (y/n) like he does to Hiccup but (y/n) guessed the tribe calling him an outcast had finally reached Stoick. (y/n) felt Gobber's hand on his shoulder and he instantly growled a warning causing Gobber to back off. (y/n) followed Hiccup to his house and the teens were there insulting Hiccup and (y/n) as well but only a little.

(y/n) was stopped by Tuffnut however. Believe it or not, Tuffnut became his second best friend and they are the ultimate jokers in the village alongside Ruffnut who disturbingly started to like (y/n).

He seems like a muttonhead but he is quite smart and enjoys a good chat. "So how in the world did you get in trouble (y/n)? The chief doesn't put the blame on you unless you're caught with me which it never happens since we always escape together thanks to you and cause even more chaos-" "Getting off subject Tuff." (y/n) interrupted with a smirk. He laughed in amusement. "Sorry, anyway why are you going with Use-I mean Hiccup to his house?" Tuffnut said nervously when he almost called Hiccup, Useless.

He knew (y/n) didn't like it because Hiccup was his best friend and the last time Tuffnut said it... wellllll he was with Gothi for about a week alone, but (y/n) still considered him one of his best friend and Tuffnut as well. 'If only you can get Tuffnut as Hiccup's friend.' Wolf thoughtfully said. "Stoick is just having a rough day. I mean would you be angry if we are low on food and winter is coming and being raided every single night?" (y/n) then realized. "What am I saying? Of course you will think it will be fun because of all of the chaos." Tuffnut smiled confirming (y/n)'s observation. "You know it! Anyway you should get going. Looks like Gobber is getting annoyed by waiting for you it looks like." (y/n) glanced at Gobber and Tuffnut was right he was getting annoyed.

(y/n) nodded to Tuff and said goodbye walking back to Hiccup and Gobber but (y/n) first knocked Snotlout unconscious when he said something bad to Hiccup. "I did hit it." Hiccup said referring to the night fury he hit. "Sure you did." Gobber stated sarcastically. "He doesn't listen to me." "It runs in your family." (y/n) said blankly, not in the mood.

"And when he does talk to me it is always with this scowl." Hiccup then does an impression of his father. "Excuse me barmaid. I believe you gave me the wrong offspring. I specifically ordered a boy with beefy arms with extra guts and glory on the side! THIS HERE! This here is a talking fishbone! Oh and lets not forget you gave me the wrong Healer to help my village and keep this fishbone in line. Who doesn't just do enough but also keep secrets from the entire village and uses Gods know what methods for wounds!"

(y/n) felt his heart shatter. he still kept his secrets from the village and Stoick still doesn't trust him and what hurts the most is that (y/n) haven't told Hiccup of what he is. However Gothi seems to be not bothered at some of the strange methods (y/n) has been using to help others.

Hiccup met (y/n)'s saddened gaze and instantly regretted it. Hiccup stuttered as he spoke with a light blush on his cheeks "(y- (y/n) that wasn't what I meant. I was just saying that were unappreciative but I know you will always tell me everything right? You always have." (y/n)'s heart broke even more and he couldn't look at Hiccup's green eyes. Those eyes remind him too much of Zyrus. "Y-Yeah I a-always do." (y/n) lied. 'Obsidian. I'm sure he'll understand. He isn't like any of the other vikings afterall.' Wolf comforted (y/n) but he was still afraid.

Gobber tried to make things better for the two boys. "You're thinking about this all wrong. It's not that he doesn't like what's on the outside its whats INSIDE that he can't stand." It did not work. Hiccup and (y/n) stared dryly at him. "Thank you for summing that up." Both responded at the same time. "Look the point is, just stop being something that you're not. And Stoick just doesn't understand what you do (y/n)" Gobber said trying to make them feel better. "I just want to be like you guys." Hiccup said left going into the house leaving Gobber sighing and walking away after (y/n) went to see if Hiccup was injured but they both missed Hiccup going through the back door to get answers. What a night.

(y/n) closed the door behind him and sighed seeing the back door open. He ran out to see if he can make sure Hiccup doesn't hurt himself... Again. As (y/n) ran out of the house he thought. 'Gothi well be fine without me tonight the raid didn't seem to be a big one... I hope she doesn't kill me' 

AN: Hello everybody sorry for the late update. I have recently moved to a different city and my computer broke. Luckily I was able to fix it so I hope you all enjoy the update.

Also thank you for the support on this story I still can't believe this already has over 300 reads.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

489K 9.5K 112
Little one shots of the reader and Hiccup that I wrote. Requests aren't welcome. "Hiccup," you said, softly, after a few minutes of silence. Hiccup...
15K 473 4
[NOT COMPLETED] Y/n is a young Viking who washed up on the shores of Berk. Thankfully, they all accept him into their village with open arms. It wasn...
704K 16.2K 57
It's the story of a young Viking. Actually, he isn't that young anymore. He's 23 years old now. His name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. 8 years ag...
297K 7.3K 34
Hiccup, a boy living in the village Berk. Being a weakling yet the son of the chief. Y/n, a girl flying on her Night Fury. Loving to be free. Flying...