A Bride's Story

By Storylikewriter

In a rural town near the Caspian Sea during the Russian conquest of Central Asia in the late 19th century, Am... More

Chapter 1: Destiny
Chapter 2: Curiosity
Chapter 3: Togetherness
Chapter 4: Morning Feast
Chapter 5: Soup
Chapter 6: Hunting
Chapter 7: Rabbit stew
Eihon Family Tree
Chapter 8: Oil lamp
Chapter 9: Vest
Chapter 10: Son
Chapter 11: Carpets
Chapter 12: Search
Chapter 13: Pomegranates
Chapter 14: Fox
Chapter 15: Reunited
Chapter 16: Celebration
Chapter 17: Night sky
Chapter 18: Strangers
Chapter 19: Intruders
Chapter 20: Azel
Chapter 21: Herding
Chapter 22: Return
Chapter 23: Secrets
Chapter 25: Fever
Chapter 25: Panic
Chapter 26: Desperation
Chapter 27: Doctor
Chapter 28: Vigil
Chapter 29: Resurgence
Chapter 30: Rejuvenation
Chapter 31: Baking day
Chapter 32: Encounters
Chapter 33: Hearth
Chapter 34: Gifts
Chapter 35: Journey
Chapter 36: Mausoleum
Chapter 37: Reunion
Chapter 38: Loss
Chapter 39: Distraction
Chapter 42: Defense
Chapter 42: Embers
Chapter 43: Call to Arms
Chapter 44: Shadows
Chapter 45: Stand-off
Chapter 46: Danger
Chapter 48: Protector
Chapter 48: Bathhouse
Chapter 50: Strangers
Chapter 51: Doe
Chapter 52: Letters
Chapter 53: Encounters
Chapter 54: Guest
Chapter 55: Tileke's Trousseau
Chapter 56: Stitches
Chapter 57: Embroidery
Chapter 58: Family Patterns

Chapter 40: Pursuit

3 0 0
By Storylikewriter

Turlan's frustration reverberated through the air as he unleashed his exasperated shout. "Damn!" he bellowed, the weight of their failed pursuit weighing heavily upon him. The thrill of victory had slipped through their fingers, leaving only bitter disappointment in its wake.

Unfazed by the setback, a rider offered a silver lining amidst the desolation. "Oh well! We may not have caught them this time, but at least we know where they reside," he remarked, attempting to salvage a semblance of hope. He turned to Azel, a glint of accusation in his eyes. "Isn't that right, Azel?"

Turlan, unable to contain his anger, pointed a finger at his nephew. "This is all your fault, Azel," he accused, his voice laced with ire. "Had you handled things properly from the beginning, we wouldn't be in this wretched predicament."

Joruk, with a hint of sympathy in his voice, interjected, seeking to alleviate the mounting tension. "Anyone would be compelled to flee after facing such a dire threat."

Turlan's impatience surged forth, his words laced with urgency. "Hurry! Lead us to their home! No more delays!" he commanded, his voice laden with a fervent desperation to apprehend the fleeing couple.

"Shall we take the scenic route?" Joruk proposed, a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes.

Azel, weary of the mounting tension, sternly addressed his companions, seeking to restore a sense of order. "Stop it," he admonished, his voice firm and unwavering.

At home, Pariya hastily conveyed the events that had unfolded, her voice trembling with fear as she recounted the troubling ordeal. Seleke listened intently, her eyes widening with concern. Their conversation was abruptly halted when Akunbek, sensing the gravity of the situation, appeared in the courtyard, his presence demanding an explanation. "What is it? What has transpired?" he inquired urgently, his fatherly instincts on high alert.

Pariya struggled to find her voice, her apprehension rendering her words feeble. However, Akunbek's reassuring presence provided solace, encouraging her to share the distressing news. "There's trouble," she managed to utter, her voice quivering. "Near the Horukia Mausoleum. Some people are attempting to forcibly take Amira away. And there's more..."

Before she could finish, the arrival of Amira and Karluk on horseback disrupted their conversation. Their arrival was accompanied by the presence of Mr. Smith. His agitation was palpable as he rambled anxiously about the unpredictable nature of sheep. "Sheep are very skittish animals! They can be panicked extremely easily!" he exclaimed, his distress apparent.

Karluk, ever calm and composed, attempted to placate the distressed foreigner. "Mr. Smith, please, calm down," he implored, his voice steady and composed. Turning his attention to his father, he continued, "Father! Amira's family has arrived, and..."

However, before he could complete his sentence, his father's interruption hung in the air, a reflection of the recurring nature of such intrusions. "Again?" Akunbek interjected, his voice laced with weariness, hinting at the cyclical nature of these disturbances that threatened to disrupt the family's peace.

Karluk's questioning gaze mirrored his bewilderment. Had Amira's family made a previous visit? The uncertainty lingered in the air, hinting at a tangled history yet to be unveiled. As the commotion intensified, the city of Khiva rallied to defend itself against the encroaching threat, its young men mustering their strength to halt the impending intrusion.

"We shall not allow such men to set foot within our city," proclaimed an elderly man, his voice resolute with determination. He turned to Mahatbek, seeking solace in their shared connection. "It is indeed a shame, isn't it? That your own relatives bear such disreputable intentions?"

Mahatbek's response was tinged with conflicted emotions, a trace of regret lacing his words. "Well... Perhaps this marriage was ill-fated from the start. Nevertheless, their late grandfather was a man of honor and integrity."

The other man nodded, a somber understanding etched upon his features. "Such situations sadly arise in life. Thankfully, their numbers are few. Let us hope that this conflict can be contained without spiraling out of control."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

770K 22.6K 27
Anna is your average small town girl. The only problem is that she moved to the city, after she finished college. Anna thought that she belonged in t...
90.2K 1.6K 33
ReaderXEdmund Hello friends! This is a sequel to my first Narnia FanFic "An Unexpected Romance." This story takes place during the Voyage of the Daw...
74.7K 2.8K 25
Warning: 18+ "He doesn't smile, he doesn't laugh. The only emotion I see on his face is anger. He hates everything about me, my views, my dressing se...
105K 2.7K 11
- ๐Š๐ˆ๐ƒ ๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘“๐‘–๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜ ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘‘๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘–๐‘  ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘  ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž...