La Marquise

By vmpirevnom

In 1773, at the mere age of 13, Adrienne de Noailles is arranged to marry wealthy orphan Gilbert du Motier, M... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 14

70 2 5
By vmpirevnom

April 11th, 1780

I nestled into the softness of the bed, with Georges attached to my nipple, nursing him while he suckled hungrily. Bathing in the golden hues of the early morning, Anastasie's head is partially on my thigh, she had crawled into bed in the middle of the night due to a nightmare, and Gilbert and I let her sleep in between us. With the top part of my nightgown down, which Georges clutched, I fed the nearly five-month-old little one.

Gilbert came back from his morning ride, shutting the door behind him and kissing me gently on the lips. Sitting on my side of the bed, watching me feed our son, he smiled, "Do you know what today is, my love?", he whispered to me, not wanting to wake up our daughter or startle our son. I quietly grinned, knowing very well that today is our sixth anniversary. "Tuesday?", I gently teased him, causing him to knowingly shake his head. "Happy Anniversary, my love", he whispered, kissing my forehead.

"Happy Anniversary." Georges lifted his head off my breast, and I put him on my shoulder, patting his back, causing him to let out a quiet burp. Gilbert smiled at him while I cradled him, while our son stared intently at his father. I laughed quietly at their little staring contest, passing him over to Gilbert.

Anastasie lifted her head, rubbing her eyes, and I smiled at her, "Good morning, dear", I whispered, kissing the top of her head. Tiredly, she crawled into my arms, resting her head on my bosom. "Gilbert, it is still early, would you like to start off our day by taking a nap?", I asked my husband. He smiled, and instead of putting Georges in the nursery, he put him in the bassinet so he could be in the same room as us. "Gladly." Still in his everyday clothes, he took off his boots, crawling into bed, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Hi, Papa", Anastasie whispered, yawning.

My handsome husband grinned, "Good morning, Sweetie." Anastasie changed her mind, crawling into her father's arms, giving him space to rest his head on my bosom. I smiled, knowing this is one of his favorite spots to rest his head, leaning my head on the pillow. Anastasie closed her eyes, and I fell asleep.

Feeling the tickling of soft kisses upon my neck, I giggled, waking up, seeing my husband beside me, with his strong arms wrapped around me. "Anastasie is downstairs having breakfast, and Georges is back in the nursery. You looked so adorable while sleeping, but it is ten in the morning so I had to kindly wake you." I smiled, running my fingers through his auburn hair. "Thank you, Gilbert."

He leaned into my touch, "Your mother hired a wet nurse for the day, and the servants are taking care of Anastasie. I thought I could take you to Paris, so we could have a lovely breakfast at a restaurant." I raised my head, rubbing my eyes and going into the closet to find a beautiful dress for this occasion. "You spoil me."

"Yes, however it is worth it. You always become so happy." I found a beautiful green dress with bows, lace and a low neckline, looking in my jewelry box and deciding to pair it with a golden necklace. Putting it over my petticoat and corset, I smiled to myself, putting on a white powdered wig.

I hoped I still have the same beauty, even after my third time giving birth, however there is only one way to find out. Grabbing a beautiful green fan, I stepped out of the closet, revealing my look to Gilbert. He smiled, getting off the bed, wrapping his arms around my now petite waist. "You're so beautiful."

"Really?", I asked.  I had gained a bit of weight from the pregnancy, however I am still average weight, but cruel people have spoken of it in Versailles. But, I am glad the stretch marks are impossible to show, and, my breasts have grown a little larger due to breastfeeding.

"Really. This dress complements you well. And I will always think you are beautiful, no matter how you look. It is the love that matters." For a second, he glanced at my bosom, before resting his face against my neck. "I am lucky to have you." I shivered at the feeling of his voice, "We mustn't get into risqué antics so early in the morning, Gilbert", I teased. I felt him smirk, adding a joke back. "I don't think anyone would care." Laughing a little, I pulled away from his embrace. "We must go, Henri is waiting."

He took my hand, walking me down the staircase. "Bye-Bye, Mama!" I smiled, kissing Anastasie's head. "Goodbye, my dear. Remember, be good for our kind servants and grandma and grandpa", Gilbert told her.

"I will, Papa! Bye-bye!"

We stepped into the carriage, and I fanned myself, "It is so hot for April", I muttered. Gilbert sat across from me, "Here." Taking my fan, he waved it against me quickly so more air could pass to me. I laughed a little as the carriage went, "You're too kind."

"Only for you, my dear."

--

The carriage jolted to a halt, causing me to fall into Gilbert's lap, him protectively wrapping his arms around my waist. "Glad I caught you", He murmured, his warm breath tickling my ear causing me to laugh quietly while in his arms. Interrupting our intimate moment, Henri opened the carriage door. "We are here, Marquis." I smiled, and my husband stood up, helping me out of the carriage. "Enjoy your Anniversary, when shall I pick you up?"

"Around one, Henri, when I shall whisk Adrienne back to Versailles to have a picnic in the gardens." I blushed, taking his hand, and Henri chuckled. "Good planning, I will see you soon."

Gilbert took me to an inn, where we sat down to have breakfast. "If you ever get uncomfortable, just let me know and we can leave", Gilbert told me, since this place was full of men. I nodded, I haven't been to a bunch of tavern's or inn's in my life, so I held Gilbert's hand tightly. Rising my hand up, he gently kissed it. "You're such a sap."

"Only for you and Diane, my love", he winked, sipping some of his ale while I sipped my water, and our breakfast was served.

"Oh, Gilbert, that was lovely", I smiled while we exited the inn, cuddling into his shoulder. "Yes, it was, my love." He kissed my head, "Would you like to explore the sights?"

"Please."

I cuddled into his shoulder while we gazed at The Seine, and he wrapped his arm around my waist. "Gilbert, I fell in love with you even before our arranged marriage was announced", I mentioned, gazing into his beautiful eyes. He perked a brow, "Really?"

"Really. I started to fancy you when we first met." He chuckled, hooking his finger on my chin.

"If we did not have an arranged marriage, do you know where I would propose?" I desperately wanted him to continue. "Where, Gilbert?", I asked.

"I would whisk you away to my home, in Auvergne, where we could explore the sights together. I would show you the places I liked the most where I grew up, I would show you my house. I would take you to a mountaintop and propose up there during the sunset, or perhaps propose at a beautiful lake." He stroked my blonde locks, "I fell in love the moment I saw you, my Dear Heart. I would have proposed in a few years time, we could have been reckless teenage lovers if we wanted to." By the time he said that, I was crying tears of joy. "Oh, Gilbert! It truly was love at first sight?"

"It truly was, Adrienne." He took my hand, guiding me throughout the streets, and I laughed as he ran. "Where are you taking me, my love?", I laughed while he lead me through the streets, occasionally apologizing when he almost bumped into someone. Whisking me to the gardens, he dropped down on one knee, on the cobblestone.

Wiping away my tears of joy, I saw him pull out a beautiful diamond ring, "Will you marry me, Adrienne?" I covered my mouth, beginning to sob, and he chuckled. "Yes, Gilbert!", I laughed softly at his pretend proposal, while he took off the simple wedding band my father had gotten me while not wanting to waist a penny, replacing it with the beautiful ring. "This is lovely, Gilbert", I whispered, and squealed gently when he picked me up bridal style. "You're lovely, my dear heart", he playfully retorted, nuzzling his forehead into mine.

We got in the carriage, and it started up again. "Adrienne...", he mumbled while I looked at the darling ring on my finger. "Yes, Gilbert?", I hummed happily.

"I-I have to leave again..." I looked up at him, "...What?"

"I have received my fleet, Adrienne. General Washington is expecting me to leave, soon. I couldn't let you not know." My breath hitched, and tears began to roll down my cheeks. "I am going to leave tomorrow", he pulled me in for a hug, and I began to sob. "You're allowed to be mad at me..."

"I'm not... I just... I thought we had more time", I cried, nuzzling my face into his chest. "I know, Adrienne. I wish we had more time, too." He kissed my head, and I laughed softly. "This is really bad timing", I mentioned.

He laughed, too, "I know, it is." He looked over at Henri, "Please, can you take us home before we go on our picnic?" Henri nodded, and I looked at Gilbert. "We should just make the best of our anniversary." He nodded in agreement, cuddling me.

--

"Truly?", Clotilde asked when Gilbert told them the news. Gilbert nodded while I snuggled in his arms, and Anastasie began to weep. "I don't want Papa gone!", she cried. My heart broke, and Gilbert sat her on his lap. "Anastasie, it will not be forever. With the fleet, the war should go faster. I will be home soon." I tried to give her a reassuring smile, but she continued to cry. "What if you don't?" Gilbert's heart seemed to break, as well, and my spine chilled, not knowing she knew there was a chance he could die, while my sisters either continued to cry or were in pure shock.

"I will return", he declared, "I left while your mama was pregnant with you, and what did I do? I came back. I will be careful to not get hurt, 'Tasie." he kissed the top of her head, "And if I do get hurt, it will be a mere injury. I will not be gone forever."

"But... can't kiss it better!" My heart melted at her innocence, "Papa will be fine, dear."

"That is right, Anastasie." At that moment, I had an idea. "How about we all go to the gardens? We can spend the day together before Gilbert's departure. I can help pack extra food."

"That would be lovely", Mother said, while she rocked Georges in her arms. "That is an amazing idea, my love." My darling husband kissed my head, and I blushed.

--

Putting the blankets down, we all sat down in the beautiful gardens. "B-Butterfly!", Anastasie chimed, pointing to a monarch butterfly, which was fluttering by, while she sat on her dear father's lap. "That's right, 'Tasie! That's a very beautiful butterfly!", Gilbert praised, and I smiled, passing the food around and out of the baskets, while holding Georges as the same time.

"Did you say goodbye to Diane?", I asked him in realization. Gilbert nodded, "Yes, I said goodbye yesterday, Adrienne." He kissed my cheek, and Rosalie smiled. "I'll miss you, Gilbert." She chewed on some of the steak that she had. "We all will", Paule added.

"Adrienne", Gilbert grinned, giving me a box of chocolate-covered strawberries. "I got these for you." I gasped softly, "Oh, Gilbert! That is lovely!" Although it is an anniversary snack, I looked around, "Does anyone want one?"

"Oh, Adrienne. It's okay, we have cupcakes to munch on", Louise smiled lovingly. I nodded, looking at my darling husband. "Thank you, Gilbert. I will eat them after I am done feeding Georges." He smiled, kissing my cheek.

Covering my chest with a small blanket, I stealthily unbuttoned the top part of my dress, letting Georges find my breasts before he began to drink. While feeding him, I ate the fruit that was brought, leaning into my husband's shoulder, trying not to laugh at Anastasie, who was stuffing her face with the scones my mother brought.

"Happy Anniversary, Gilbert and Adrienne", my mother smiled, raising her wine glass. "Thank you, Madame." Gilbert grinned, putting his arm on my shoulder. I yawned, feeling tired from waking up early, our adventure in Paris, and the exhaustion of nursing Georges every two hours or so. "Oh, we will go home soon, Adrienne", my husband whispered in my ear, burping our son for me. I smiled, cuddling into his shoulder while my sisters continued to laugh and chat.

"Open your mouth", Gilbert told me. I did so, tasting a chocolate covered strawberry. I giggled, proceeding to take it from his hand and chew it, enjoying the flavor. "I have one?", Anastasie asked. Opening my eyes, I reached into the box, giving her one, making sure to rip off the green leaves. "Yay!" I smiled at her cuteness, and Gilbert kissed me.

"Papa!" I looked up from laying my head in Gilbert's lap, seeing Anastasie holding a beautiful daisy. "For you." Gilbert gasped, "Oh, Anastasie! This is wonderful!" Anastasie handed her father the beautiful flower, "I will keep it forever."

She gasped, "Forever?"

"Mhm." I smiled, though I knew it would only be until it would wilt. "I'll miss you, Papa", she continued, hugging him.

"I have an idea, Adrienne." I got off his lap, and he picked Anastasie up, putting her on his shoulders. I smiled, and Anastasie laughed while he ran around the gardens playfully, making neighing noises to play horsy with our daughter. "He sure is a sweet father", Clotilde smiled.

"I just hope he will be alright", I admitted. Louise put her hand on my shoulder, "he will."

--

After he sang Georges to sleep, Gilbert read part of Cinderella to Anastasie. Tucking her in, he kissed her head. "I will miss you, Papa", she frowned after he closed the book, laying her head on the pillow. I smiled, playing with a lock of the blonde hair that we share. "Would you like to write letters to him?", I asked her, and Gilbert smiled at me. "Oh yes, Anastasie, I can read your letters! You can tell me about your day, just like mama!"

"Yes! Wanna write like mama!", she cheered. I grinned, "Very well, then. You can send him watercolor paintings, too."

"Oh yes, then my tent will never be dull", Gilbert added, kissing our daughter's head again. Anastasie reached in her drawer, pulling out a four-leaf-clover. "Promise to keep this. For good luck." She gave it to Gilbert, placing it in his hand. "Please, papa."

"Oh, Anastasie. I will definitely keep this, especially in battle. I'll make sure to put it in my coat pocket, so it doesn't get lost."

"Goodnight, Papa. I love you." She sat up, kissing him on the cheek.

"I love you too, Anastasie." He shut the bedroom door behind us, and I kissed him on the cheek. "Now, darling. Shall we retreat to our room?", he asked with a small grin.

"Please. Let us make the most of the night."

--

I giggled, while he ran a hand through my hair. Our clothes were in a tornado around the room, and we had gotten done with our little rendezvous. While he caressed my cheek in intimacy, tears began to form in my eyes. Pulling away, he tilted his head. "I promise I will come back, Adrienne."

I sniffled, choking out sobs, as the reality of him being across the ocean began to set in. "I-I know, I-It's just, I-I will miss you, s-so much..." I cried, and he kissed the top of my head. "I know, my dear heart. This is, perhaps, even more torturous for you, not knowing if I am alright or not. However, I will be. I will not only fight for freedom for America, I fight for you, for Anastasie."

I smiled a little, cuddling against his chest. "Can you do me a favor, my dear?", I asked, while he rubbed my bare back.

"Indeed, my love."

"If I am still asleep, c-can you leave before I wake up?", I asked him, looking up with my doe eyes, knowing that if I saw him trying to leave, I would beg him not to go.

"Of course, dear heart." He kissed my head, pulling the blanket over us.

--

As I woke up, I felt numb, while the morning sun began to rise. I turned around, and sure enough, the bed was bare, with no trace of Gilbert around the room. Sitting up, I saw a note, along with a small box on my nightstand. After I got dressed back into my nightgown, I sat on the mattress, reading the note first.

My Dear Heart,

As promised, I did not wake you up, and while you read this, I am most likely sailing across the Atlantic Ocean. In the box I have left for you, is a golden locket, with my portrait in it. If you ever feel lonely, know that I will always be by your side, no matter how far apart we are. I have also got one for myself with your portrait and our children's names engraved.

I opened the box, and inside was a golden locket in the shape of a heart, and opening it, I saw a portrait of my husband, which was painted a few years ago. I laughed softly, rubbing my thumb against the rough surface, before closing the locket and putting it on, continuing to read the note:

On the chair, I left one of my coats, so in case you ever wish to be in my arms, you can wrap yourself in it. In Anastasie's room, I have given her a new doll. I love you, and I promise I will write to you when I reach the 13 Colonies.

Your dearest husband,

-Gilbert

I sniffled, rubbing my eyes and placing the note on the nightstand, grabbing the coat that was placed on the chair, and putting it on.

I rubbed the locket, "Good luck, Gilbert", I muttered to myself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 88 15
"I'm happy, I finally moved on from Adrien!" Alya squinted her eyes and let her auburn tails sway, her ears flattened against her skull. Accepting th...
598K 15.2K 52
[DISCLAIMER: THIS BOOK IS A STAND ALONE! IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO RELATION TO MY OTHER BOOK "JUST AS WE WERE MARRIED] ****** I hate you!" I whisper-shout...
591K 34.3K 36
{WATTYS 2020 WINNER} {FEATURED BOOK} Paris, 1663. 500 girls selected by King Louis XIV embark on a journey across the seas from their homeland. Each...
8.2K 488 23
Adrien is in love with his lady, and Marinette is head over heels for the blond model. Feelings don't change easily... Or do they? These teenagers ar...