A True Witch (Part 1)

By AngstyPancake03

After the Day of Unity, Luz is finally back home, and things have been going okay. After a few months of work... More

Almost Back
One Last Day
Home Again
Invisibility and Inevitability
Sneaking Out
Titan Save the King
True Witch
Return of the Monster
Sleeping and Waking Nightmare
Light
Back to Bonesborough
For the Grand Huntsman, From the Titan
New and Expected
Hopefully Helpful
Only a Human God
More Than What's Bargained For
Witch and Witch Hunter Reborn
The Perfect Plan
Reunion and Reevaluation
Agonizing Success

Your Own Witch

396 8 9
By AngstyPancake03

Eda flew high over Bonesborough, tears almost instantly freezing into the feathers of her harpy form from the wind chill as she scoured the whole island again, looking for some sign, any sign of Luz. There was no way she was dead. She couldn't be. She wouldn't believe it. As she landed on the top of the library, trying to see if maybe she could spot something she couldn't before while she was moving, she saw something strange in the distance.

People.

Lots and lots of people.

She went to the ground and approached the group. Most of them were startled to see her, except one in the front with pink hair and papers sticking out of her pockets. The woman in front looked her up and down then chuckled slightly.

"I guess you really can teach an old dog new tricks." They chuckled.

"Lynn?" Eda gasped, recognizing her voice.

She went back to her normal form and ran over to her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Did all of you escape? I thought the Collector captured you! Have you seen Luz?" Eda asked after releasing her from the hug, but still having a tight grip on her shoulders.

"We were freed by Luz a few days ago. The Collector had captured us and turned us into puppets, but Luz captured them and set us free. I don't know how exactly, we were all conscious when we were puppets but it's all...fuzzy. Luz somehow disassembled the Collector's hideout. I think I saw her using two staves, but they didn't look like normal staves. But we were far away, so who knows."

"Did she stay? Where is she?" Eda asked desperately, tears welling up as she ignored the stranger details and just focused on finding Luz.

Lynn sighed, took Eda's hands off her shoulders, and held them. She ever so slightly shook her head, refusing to look Eda in the eyes. Eda's breath hitched and she took a step back, trying to stabilize herself so she didn't fall over from the shock.

"Edalyn, I'm so, so sorry. I know what it's like to not know where your child is. When I got captured, I tried for days to escape so I could get back to Boscha and Ann. I had no idea if Boscha made it back to where we were hiding or if at any point her or Ann got captured or killed."

"But she's not my child! Not really. She was my responsibility, sure, but she has family in the human realm, family she can't get back to. I haven't seen her in weeks. Last time I saw her, she was on the verge of death, running away in a hideous cursed form thanks to Belos tricking her. I just...I just want to talk to her. I wish she could talk to me and tell me what in the Titan's damned name is going on."

Lynn went to reach over to Eda, paused, then instead pulled the papers out of her pocket and handed them to Eda.

"Luz didn't tell me anything when she gave me these, but they say to get them to you and the others in the hideout. There was one I was supposed to leave at the Bonesborough police station, but these are all for you and, I'd assume, the others she's close to."

Eda took them, hands shaking slightly. Sure enough, on the top piece were instructions written in Luz's handwriting.

Find the hideout. Give to Eda.

Eda pulled Lynn into a quick hug. When she released her, she had a small smile on her face.

"Thank you, Lynn. You and the other escapees stay here and set up a place to stay. With the Collector gone, we can start to rebuild. When we have a decent setup, we can use all the abandoned boats to bring people back. You think you'll be safe from the Trappers?"

"We haven't actually seen any since we got out. But we'll be on guard."

"Great. I'll be back."

Eda turned around and shifted back into her harpy form, all the papers still held tightly in her talons.

"It was amazing seeing you again, Edalyn. And I hope you find Luz and she's okay."

"Thanks. And...I do too."

Eda shot up into the sky and began flying back towards the hideout. She was flying as fast as she could, just wanting to get everyone and read the letters, hoping maybe Luz left within them where she was or if she had a plan or anything like that.

It was only a few hours of flying before Eda landed on the sandy beach. She shifted back into her normal form as she walked forward, not wanting to pause for even a second. As soon as she got out of the woods and approached the entrance, her aura of determination was immediately palpable to anyone who saw her. When she walked in, anyone who was in the central room paused to look at her or stopped completely. Eda walked as fast as she could towards the dormitory the kids were staying in. It was getting a bit late, so it was likely at least some of them were there.

When she got in, she spotted Hunter and Amity sitting on their cots. That was unsurprising as those two had barely left the room since Luz disappeared. They noticed Eda and how serious she looked, saw she was holding something, and sat up. Finally slowing down, Eda approached the two.

"Luz left us a message. I don't know who all it's for, but I need you to find anyone you think she'd be writing to." Eda said flatly, using a more commanding tone she usually saved for the adults.

Amity and Hunter both nodded and went out to grab the others. It wasn't long before they came back, Willow and Gus with Hunter and King and Boscha with Amity. While Eda had been waiting, most of the people in the dorms had cleared out, sensing something important was happening based on Eda's presence and not wanting to intrude. The kids all got settled into the beds or on the floor, impatiently awaiting what Eda had to say.

"Everyone the Collector captured is free. The Collector was recaptured." Eda explained, trying to recap, "Their base was destroyed and everyone captured is fine. That includes your mom, Boscha."

Boscha let out a small gasp at the news, warranting Amity to put a supportive hand on her shoulder, but they didn't want to take time away from Eda and let her continue.

"They're going to start to rebuild. Once things are safe, secure, and, at the least, capable of supporting everyone, we'll go back. When I learned all of this, I was also given these papers from Lynn, Boscha's mom and my old Potions track classmate to those who don't know. I don't know what's inside these, but it's Luz's handwriting and she said to get them to me. I assume they won't just be for me which is why I wanted you kids here."

"So we're going to hear from Luz?" Amity asked, sounding almost desperate.

"Yes, yes we are. Again, I don't know what's inside, but we can't find out without reading."

Eda got the papers nicely stacked in front of her, took the first page, and began to read to the group.

Dear Eda,

Titan this feels weird. It's been over two years since I first arrived in the Boiling Isles. So much has happened since then. I've gone from the optimistic witch-obsessed human with no shot of ever learning magic to...well you know. I've been gone for a while now, so everyone is probably worried. I'm guessing you're reading this to them or are taking turns with the others reading it. I guess that means I should actually address the elephant in the room of I'll go through everyone one at a time to make it easier. Obviously, I'm starting with you.

Back at the Covention, when I asked you if I'll ever be a true witch, you told me "You've gotta be your own witch". So that's what I'm doing. I'm becoming my own witch independent of you or anyone else. That isn't what you meant, but after everything I've done been through it's what's best. By the time you read this, I'll already be gone. I'm not on the Isles at all so it'd be a waste to search for me. I'm too dangerous and, as such, am exiling myself from the Isles. It might be temporary, it might be permanent. I honestly don't know.

You taught me so much Eda and I thank you for that. But right now I'm using the lesson you taught me when we got captured during the heist I suggested all those months ago.

Knowing when to quit.

You were like a second mom to me, and I'll miss you.

Thank you for everything, Eda.

Eda stopped reading and set the papers down in her lap. She took a few staggered breaths, then started to cry. Part of her was embarrassed for sobbing in front of these kids, but, at least most of them, she knew well so the embarrassment didn't last long. It's not like she was bawling in front of all the people she'd worked to save over the past few months. They were just the friends of the kid she couldn't save.

"Is that it? Is that all she left?" Amity asked desperately.

"N-no. It's not. But someone else is going to have to take over." Eda admitted, wiping her eyes, "The next part is for you, Bossy Boots. Why don't you read it?"

Amity nodded and took the stack of papers. She found where Eda left off, took a deep breath, and began.

My love, my sweet potato, my Amity

How can I write down all these yelling thoughts in my head? I have so much I want to say. Like how I died and came back as a Like how I scarred you and never got to Like how you saw me as I Like how after going through so much with you, I'm leaving. I didn't imagine this happening this way. I thought I'd go back to the human realm permanently and I'd break up with you to make it easier. I thought I'd stay in the Demon Realm forever. I thought I'd make a portal so I didn't have to choose. I thought and hoped for every possible outcome that would be easy for you, but that's not what happened.

There are so many words I could say, but only a few that I will.

Move on from me, please.

Don't get hung up on the past. Look forward.

Goodbye, Amity

"That's all she wrote for you?" Willow asked, confused and slightly frustrated.

"Yeah, why?"

"Doesn't it feel like too little? And kinda hollow? Like, it feels like she's telling us exactly what needs to be said so we don't go out to find her when being found is what she needs," Willow pointed out, "She's clearly in a bad place, but she's also acting like we weren't as close as we were."

"Wait, why are you phrasing our friendship in past tense?" Gus asked.

"Do I really have to explain?" Willow scoffed, standing up, "She killed Hunter, she almost petrified all of us, and she burnt Amity's face! She's not the same person that helped us bring a house to life or try to start a book club or take down a tyrant. She joined up with that same tyrant less than a year after fighting him! Or did all of you forget what happened at the intervention?"

"Willow, you can't expect her to put down every thought she has on paper." Hunter reasoned, "Of course it feels hollow. She isn't here."

"But she should be! She didn't even put so much as an 'I love you' at the end of Amity's part! Does nobody else think this note was just a way to get us to stop looking so she could do whatever she wanted without facing the consequences?"

"Who cares if she didn't tell me she loves me?" Amity sighed, "Who cares if it's hollow? Who cares if it's just a way for her to have a clean getaway? It's something, and that's all that matters to me. She wants me to move on, so I will. And once we finish this letter, we all should."

Boscha comfortingly took Amity's hand, making Amity softly smile at her. Amity flipped to the next page, skimmed the top, then handed the papers to Hunter.

"You're up next." Amity said.

Hunter nodded and began to read the next part.

Hey Hunter.

So, there's a lot you should know. For one, Philip is dead. He came back as a human cleansed of his curse thanks to him drinking some Titans blood but the Collector killed him right in front of me. Philip is finally, actually dead. I have his curse to deal with, but I'm figuring out how to manage. Is it great on my psyche? No, definitely not. You know first hand from both Belos and me how aggressive the curse is. I think because I got it from Belos instead of cursing myself, how he used it is how it works which means some of his personality is basically infecting my mind. It's why I was so different for that month at the hideout. You might have killed me, but Philip brought me back. And I forgive you. Eye for an eye and all that jazz.

I'll never forget what you taught me and I regret not being honest with you about Belos sooner. Maybe I could have shown you how he changed and we wouldn't have killed each other.

Then Flapjack wouldn't have to have sacrificed himself.

You were the best big brother I could have asked for. I'll miss you, Hunter.

P.S.

Since you have Flapjack's powers, maybe you also have his memories? Might be helpful in making a new portal door. The last page is for mama and Vee. I know you can get it to them.

P.P.S.

King is a Titan, in case you didn't know, so he can get you the blood you'll need.

Hunter sighed and shook his head with a smirk. It wasn't perfect, but even after everything she still wanted to help and have everyone close to her able to get along.

It was still a shame she still hadn't accepted that Philip and Belos were the same person. It felt more like she called the cursed side of Belos Belos and the human side Philip, like they weren't just two parts of one horrible, horrible person. But, he could excuse that.

He had no idea what those two went through that made Luz care for him so much.

"Are there any more letters besides the ones to get to the human realm?" King asked curiously.

"Yeah. It's for multiple people though. Basically she shoved everyone else here into the same section."

"Of course she did. She only wrote to the people she severely hurt emotionally, hurt physically, and killed. The rest of us just dealt with the aftermath." Willow grumbled.

"I can read it." offered Gus.

Hunter handed it to him for him to finish reading.

Well I'm running out of paper so I'll make this quick. Sorry Willow, King, Boscha, and Gus. I do care about all of you, I just didn't hurt you that bad don't have the paper and the others had higher priority. I can't write a ton, but I'll try to make this count.

King, you were like a little brother to me. In saving you from the Collector, I got real magic. You were like the catalyst to everything that happened. In that way, you've done so much for me. I wish I could see the incredible (and massive) semi-immortal being you'll become.

Gus, man you're incredible. When we brought Eda's house to life I apologized for calling Willow the second most powerful witch I know, to which you humbly didn't care. My underestimation of your power is long in the past. You single handedly took down a damn coven head and incapacitated Belos! Keep being amazing, dude. You're the heart of the Hexsquad and an illusionist powerhouse. Never forget that.

Boscha, I know we didn't get long to develop our closeness, but I'm so glad I got to see how you changed over the whole apocalypse situation. You're passionate, and that's amazing. Plus you're the only one who's been able to get me out of rage-mode, which is impressive. I hope that the others give you a second chance (Amity and Willow especially). You deserve it.

Willow...

I'm kinda at a loss for words here. What could I possibly say to my first witch friend that could make up for how I treated you and the others? I barely hung out with you once we got back to the isles, and that was a mistake. I took you for granted. I can imagine how much killing Hunter directly in front of you hurt, as Philip was tortured and killed in front of me. You deserve so much. So please, stick with Hunter, try to make up with Boscha, and keep being you.

Willow was silent as Gus finished the letter. Then, she simply stood up, turned, and ran out in anger.

"Willow!" Gus yelled, dropping the papers and following her as fast as he could.

Hunter picked the papers up and got them into a nice stack again. He put them back in their original order, not daring to read what was meant for Camila and Vee. Everyone else watched as Gus left, and even stared at the door for a few moments after he was out of sight.

Nobody knew what to do.

Finally, Eda stood up and looked at all the remaining kids, sitting in a circle and looking up at her.

Looking up to her.

"When Gus and Willow get back, we start working on making that portal. Luz's mom should know what's happening, and what happened, as soon as possible. Gus can use that magic amplifier thingy he has to help Hunter see if he does have Flapjack's memories. If yes, we do what the Wittebanes did. If no, well, all of us have made unsuccessful portals or ones that were one-way trips. What's a little work to make ones that won't blow up and you can use more than once? King, are you comfortable with us taking some of your blood to make a portal?"

"Luz wanted to get letters to her family to say goodbye. She should be able to do that." King said without hesitation.

"Alright. I'll help you kids when I can, but with the Collector gone and the Titan Trappers apparently having vanished, people are going to want to resettle the Isles. The captured people are already working on getting it into okay condition again. I'll be helping with that and getting people ready to return home. Once that portal is done, we test it and, if it's safe, you wait for me and I'll take a few of you with me to talk to Luz's mom. Then we focus on fixing the Isles. Amity was right when she said our best option is moving on."

"Eda! Luz was like a daughter to you! We have to look for her."

"King, when you grow up you'll understand tough choices. This is what Luz wanted. I know you two were close but...it's how it has to be. We have too much on our plates now. Do you understand?"

King reluctantly nodded. Eda didn't like talking like that to King, but he was only 9. And there were more important things than finding her kid.

"Take it easy today and rest well. I'm going to tell everyone else the plan to resettle and tomorrow work on the portal starts. Okay?"

Everyone nodded. There was lots of work to do, but they could get it done.

Hunter evidently did have Flapjack's memories. The stable portal door project went underway and the Clawthorne's got an unexpected new relative after finding out Caleb married a Clawthorne, so Hunter was basically family. After a couple weeks of making, testing, and perfecting, a stable portal door was able to be created. Eda, Hunter, and Amity went through with the letter for Camila and Vee. They found the house, Camila and Vee were happy to see Amity and Hunter again, and Camila immediately hit it off with Eda. They were caught up with the improvements that were happening, and all was good. However, the happy mood died when Eda gave them the letter. They didn't read anything out loud, but something within it made them both, especially Camila, begin to cry. All Camila said was that her little light was really gone.

Over the next few weeks, there was nonstop efforts to rebuild the isles. It wasn't perfect and took lots of cleanup, but everyone did what they could. Families reunited, places were rebuilt, and plans were made for a better place for everyone to live. Hunter made more portal doors so that it would be possible for those with close connections in the human realm could visit. In the end, he, Eda, Amity, and Gus got one. He also gave one to Camila and Vee, just in case they ever wanted to visit.

After two months, the isles were fully resettled and all the essential places were rebuilt. Temporary housing was going well with permanent housing underway, food was rationed, nobody had a sigil anymore, and wild magic was returning. A new government body was created, a council of 10 witches with strong magic abilities that were elected by the people. Those on the council swore it was a temporary measure, but everyone had a feeling it would stick. Those who worked in the emperor's coven weren't punished for their assistance, instead being given a second chance, and those with criminal records who were charged with nonsense crimes or insufficient evidence were pardoned.

And, in the ruins of the Titan's skull, a memorial was built. The stone pillar that had the names of the kids who were stuck in the human realm and assumed dead was removed. In its place, a statue carved from bone was built in the center of a ring of rubble. A large statue of a human girl in a cropped hoodie, leggings, and shorts, a cape flowing behind her, and a glyph in one hand with the other drawing a spell circle. And on the stone platform it was on was a simple message.

Luz Noceda, the human witch

Daughter, Friend, Girlfriend

She alone defeated the Collector in this very place

May her wild spirit live on as she's gone

2008~2023

Eda requested the statue to be built, and her and all those who were close to Luz helped plan, design, and build it. It was the first community project that was completed, made in the first three weeks of the two months it took to make things some kind of normal.

And every day, without fail, Eda would try to visit that statue just like she did the memorial back when Luz and her friends were still gone.

"Hey kid." Eda sighed, kneeling in front of the statue after putting a bouquet of purple flowers in front of it, "You wouldn't believe how much things have changed. They made me a counselor! Rainestorm too. Dari and Eber also made the cut. Each member is proficient at one kind of magic, each of the main nine and one wild. You can guess what they made me. I'm basically in charge. The coven system is gone, but the organization of magic is still there. People have been used to one kind of magic per person for the past fifty years after all. When schools come back, multitracks will be fully allowed. There are a few people my age and older that are branching out, though! Mom is learning healing and potions, Lily is getting better all other types, and Raine is learning potions! Alador is being a try-hard and learning every type of magic his kids know to try and understand them. So yeah, prodigies like your friends and some of the other Hexside kids have been in high demand."

Eda chuckled, then sadly sighed. She absentmindedly rubbed the ends of her untucked button up shirt between her fingers. A few tears began to well up in her eyes and fell to the dirt and dust beneath her.

"We all miss you, kid. So many times people have told me about changes, and my first instinct is to tell you to keep you in the loop. You'd love to see it. Everything you talked about before the Day of Unity, all the things you wanted changed, changed. I don't know where you are, everyone thinks you're dead but I don't buy it, but I hope you're doing good. I know you told us to move on, but I don't think we ever will. At least not me. Not with how much you impacted all of us. You really did grow into your own witch and...and I'm so proud of you."

Eda's crow phone began to caw, so she wiped the tears from her eyes and answered.

"Counselor Edalyn Clawthorne speaking. What do you need?"

"I am so not used to hearing you be so formal." The person on the other end laughed.

"Lily! What's up?"

"Where are you?"

"Just talking to Luz, as usual. Why? Did something happen?"

"One of the mass transport ships was stolen. One owned by a man named Captain Salty."

"Well how do you know he didn't just go for an impromptu voyage? He is one for doing that."

"We didn't think it was stolen either until his body washed up in the docks. Downed and boiled to death in the sea. There were even signs of there having been weights tied around his ankles."

Eda was shocked. Things had been going so well. Everyone had practically agreed to not do any crime until things were fully normal. She quickly shoved down any anger and fear and went back into business mode.

"When was the ship last seen?" She asked, standing up.

"Three days ago it left port. Someone must have snuck onboard and sailed away, knowing Salty wasn't one for doing things the proper way and filling out all the forms for going on trips. This was definitely planned."

"Did he have any family?"

"No living relatives that we know of."

"Is there anything we can do?"

"Not really, no. But if you could come to the docks and maybe use your people skills to get morale up, that'd be great."

"Alright. On my way."

Eda hung up and turned into her harpy form. Just before she left, she took one last look at the statue. From the corner of her eye, Eda saw what looked like the shadow moving, making her jump back slightly, but when looking closer, she didn't see anything and just chalked it up to her imagination. Eda turned away from the statue and shot up into the air.

Hundreds of miles away, a thin shadow moved around a purple-ish disc before getting settled down, laying in the air.

"They found the crab guy, but nobody is coming for the ship." the Collector happily announced.

"Good. Now that you're back, can you finally tell me if we're going the right way? This was supposed to take less than a day's trip." Luz demanded, walking across the ship deck, holding the disc tightly in her right hand.

"Yep! We are. But why are we going to the Simmering Shoals? The waters are rough, hotter, and the Selkidomus could have come back. Since there's just you, me, and the curse, there's no way we won't crash." the Collector pointed out.

"We're going. I know what I'm doing." Luz snapped, before sighing and rubbing her forehead, "Look, I swore I'd keep you safe. I have my plan, and I'm sticking to it."

They are right, though. Even with your magic, surviving the water out here in the case of a shipwreck is nigh impossible. The voice in her head whispered.

"I don't need this right now, Belos. Now that you've been talking to me again, I've been getting massive headaches." Luz groaned.

I'm hurt you're back to calling me Belos. What happened to calling me by my real name?

"You're just a bit of curse that wasn't purified from Philip because you never left my head. Philip is nothing but a red stain on rubble. For all intents and purposes, you're just Belos. Nothing between me and Philip happened between me and you."

Fair, I suppose.

"I'm bored! Nothing fun has happened in days!" the Collector groaned.

"So watching me kill a man was fun?" Luz scoffed, walking up to the steering wheel.

"You didn't kill him. You and I just set up some dominoes that lead to him falling into the boiling sea with a cannon tied to his ankles."

"I'm trying to avoid murder unless necessary. Besides, he had no family and didn't follow the sign-out rules for ships. He was the best choice considering he was my first shot at actually leaving without getting caught, and taking this ship had the least collateral. Now can we please discuss something else?"

"How about those little letters that everyone is taking so seriously. How much thought did you actually put into those things?" the Collector giggled.

"Enough to keep them off my back. And it's not like they were completely empty of feeling. I will miss them. But, I need to move on. And getting to the Shoals and taking care of business will help with that."

Just as she said that, the water currents began to pick up. Luz saw the jagged rocks sticking out of the water, stabbing through debris of previous ships. The boat jolted as a selkidomus smacked the boat with its tail, like it was warning them to stay back. With her right hand, Luz clutched the steering wheel and with her left, she drew a small spell circle and summoned a fireball.

"Now, this is fun!" the Collector laughed.

I still can't believe we're doing this. Belos groaned.

"But it's one hell of a way to go out." Luz said with a smirk.

Luz let go of the steering wheel and leapt onto the deck from the steering platform before sprinting down it towards the bow of the ship. She felt the curse bubble and she let it transform her into her fully cursed form. She leapt off the bow with a monstrous roar and went straight towards the selkidomous, ready to fight.

One hell of a way indeed, little light.

A/N: And that's the end...of part 1.

I know it's a massive cliffhanger, but with what I have planned, it's just easiest to split this story into two parts. And since this is just me reposting from my AO3, there won't be a massive hiatus between this and part 1 like my AO3 readers had to deal with!

Any questions, confusions, or clarifications you need for this fic I'll be happy to provide (as long as they won't majorly spoil part 2, small questions about it are okay)

Thank you all so much for reading, I just hope you aren't too pissed with how this part ended and the fact that I never told you it would be two parts...

You guys are the best and I'll be back soon with posting part 2

Yours truly, AngstyPancake

:)

Edit: I have begun posting part 2, it updates every Saturday

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

531 13 6
This story plays before Season 2 of The Owl House and Luz and Amity are a bit older. Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters nor the artwork! ...
3.5K 212 36
At 17 years old Luz decided to run from home she manage to go between realms and ended up on the Boiling Isles. When she decides to stay and help Eda...
9.9K 354 30
In this Story.. There was a Girl who lost her Parents, Who lives alone on a apartment And Enrolled to another School then she got Real Best Friends...
11.7K 286 34
~Owl House Fanfic~ Podarge was the child of a Titan and a witch. From a young age they were shunned for being a hybrid, given the name "a harpy." Th...