Achilles&Briseis: A Novel

By AvatarAshdel

Briseis of Pedasus is a princess with a dual fate. She is the daughter of an unknown goddess and a king obses... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 23

35 3 59
By AvatarAshdel

"Thank you for answering my summons, Lord Leander," Briseis said while she poured him tea.

"I confess I'm surprised to be summoned," the lord admitted, "very much honored, but surprised. The last day of a princess in her native kingdom is supposed to be a day of farewell for her closest friends."

The pair sat alone on her balcony. Her chamber had been emptied of everything she'd take with her. It depressed her, almost as much as it depressed her to sit outside, but the outside had the illusion of happiness as the sun shone bright overhead, bathing them in warmth.

"My circle of friends has never been very large. I called you here because I want to name you executive of my affairs." Leander choked on his tea. Briseis unrolled one of three identical scrolls near her elbow, they were each marked with the royal seal of Pedasus, the king's signature, her own, and awaited only Leander's to make the documents binding. She would keep one copy, Leander another, and the last would be entered into the hall of records.

"You can't leave any portion of your dowry, my Princess. It's all been promised."

"I'm not talking about my dowry. I own the vineyard formerly belonging to Lady Celine and my dealings with the Builders' Guild also bring me profit as I supply all the eggs they need for the new stone formula."

Leander nodded. "I see. Why me? In the event a princess has assets outside her dowry they are normally under the protection of her parents."

"I no longer trust my father and I have never trusted Vhasti. I know you and I aren't friends but you are the only remaining person in this city I feel I can trust." A small owl landed on the table between them. "This is Cork. He is the youngest of my owls but strong and he will grow rapidly." She went on to to explain her connection with owls, how to send her physical messages with the capsule, and some quick instructions about how to care for the bird. "Do you consent to be my excutive?"

Leander nodded, put his mark on each copy and had the grace not to ask why she had no faith in her father any longer. "How long before you leave for Lrynessus?"

"Two hours, three at most, the wagons are being loaded now."

"Right. I will meet you at the gate, Princess. If I'm not there as you leave I ask you to wait."

She made her promise and watched him leave with a copy of their agreement with Cork upon his shoulder. This will be the first step to securing my own destiny, she thought, a future where I will never be used for someone else's gain ever again. But even as she thought it she grimaced. The road to that future she hoped for wasn't easy. In fact she couldn't even bring herself to think of it as an absolute certainty. If she failed, the pain of that failure would be too crushing to allow herself to feel that hope as certain.

Briseis sat sipping her tea when her vision was overtaken. She blinked the vision of the owl away as it landed on the table. Nike held out her leg so Briseis could take the capsule which contained her first letter from Andromache. It was nothing important, just well wishes and an expression of a desire to make sure this strange method of communication worked. Briseis smiled and began to pen a note explaining her marriage and her own well wishes for Andromache and her husband. The chambers of her doors opened and Kegarta entered looking frantic.

"Vhasti wishes to see you in her chambers before we depart," the maid said.

Briseis rolled her eyes. Whatever Vhasti wanted it was sure to be annoying. She hadn't expected to see the woman before she left. Briseis sighed as she stuck her note in the capsule and tied it to her wrist. "Very well. Go to the kitchen and gather some meat for Nike, please."

The girl whistled and the bird set itself on Kegarta's shoulder. Nike nibbled at the girl's ear affectionately and Kegarta giggled. The sight of it brought a small smile to Briseis' face. Though Kegarta couldn't share the connection she did with the owls, they had always liked the girl for which Briseis was grateful. One of her previous maids had been terrified of them and screeched whenever they swooped into the room.

"It's about time," Vhasti groaned as she stood from her chair. "I've been waiting for almost an hour." The Queen of Pedasus downed the goblet of wine in her hand and gestured to a small chest on her right. "This is for you from your father."

"I don't want anything of his." Briseis turned to leave but Vhasti's hand on her arm stopped her.

"I'm not going to pretend to understand what's happened between the two of you," the Queen said slowly. "Whatever it is I don't care. He's only told me you refuse to see him and he's adamant you have whatever's in this chest."

Briseis shook the hand off of her arm. "Fine." She would look inside and take the box and then dump it in the river on her way to Lyrnessus. She flipped the lid with aggression expecting to see some sort of bribe to try and win her affection, jewels, money, perhaps paired with a letter of apology though the last one was a bit of an impossibility since he didn't regret his actions, but none of those things were what the chest contained. It was scrolls. A lot of scrolls. She unrolled one to see a sketch of a device with some hurried notes to the side and she understood. These were from her true father, Christos. She opened a few more and saw all were designs and notes straight from the mind of the father she never knew. The box wouldn't be dumped in the river, but it didn't change her feelings toward Briseus.

"Very well." Briseis closed the lid. "Farewell Vhasti."

"Farewell Briseis, good luck," the woman laughed out the last two words but there was a bitterness to her laugh.

🦉

The procession stopped outside the home of her late friend Lavda. Briseis' stomach twisted at being here again. The ribbons of mourning still hung from all the windows, growing tattered. It was custom to leave the ribbons hanging for a month but Andrion had kept them there for nearly four. He truly did love his wife and Lavda had loved him just as much.

Taking a deep breath, Briseis stepped from the carriage and ordered three chests be carried inside. In her own hands she held a rose. With Kegarta by her side and six men to carry the heavy chests, Briseis entered the home for what would be the last time.

"Take me to Andrion," Briseis told the servant that met them at the door. "The rest of you stay here," she ordered her servants.

She was lead to the study. Inside her could hear a newborn squealing in displeasure. Andrion didn't hear her enter, all his attention was on the child in his arms. The child Lavda had died to give birth too. "Perhap's its hungry," Briseis said flatly.

Andrion started slightly at her voice and turned. "I shouldn't think so. She just ate. You honor us with your presence, my Princess."

"It's a girl?" The baby stopped squealing as its tiny head moved back and forth, looking around for the new speaker. The child's eyes locked her on own and it held out its arms.

"Yes."

"Lavda told me she would name the child after me if it was a girl?" Briseis let her question hang in the air.

"And so she did," Andrion said. The babe made an angry noise and flung her arms in the direction of her namesake once again. "It would appear she wants to be held by you."

"No," Briseis said immediately and the babe started to bawl again, as if it understood.

"Shhhh," Andrion said to the child. "My Princess, please," the man pleaded.

Guilt surfaced in Briseis. A guilt that wouldn't be pushed down. She remembered Lavda's smiling face, all the secrets they'd shared, the friendship had meant more to Briseis than any friendship she'd ever had. It would dishonor Lavda to refuse this request. "Very well." Briseis put the black rose she carried on the desk and took a seat.

Andrion instructed her on how to hold the child, Briseis felt the small weight settle in her arms. The arms of the babe extended to Briseis' face as the woman stared blankly at the wall across from her. From the edge of her lower vision she could see the child's fat hands and arms wave as they tried to get her attention. Andrion looked worried but said nothing as the child began to cry again. Briseis closed her eyes and let out a long and huffy sigh.

Slowly, very slowly, Briseis lowered her chin to look at the child in her arms. As her eyes focused on the face of the babe, Briseis' eyes began to swim with tears. A gasp escaped her lips as they trembled and her tears splashed on the babe's face. The child stopped squealing and tilted her head in confusion at the strange sensation of small drops of warm water falling on her. Briseis buried her face in the blanket wrapped around the babe as she began to sob. The face of the child that bore her name was a copy of her friend who'd given her life so this child might be brought into the world.

She heard Andrion scramble to the door and shout for refreshments. There was a flurry of activity on the other side. She heard Kegarta call her name in concern, the sobs escaping Briseis' lips though muffled by the blanket, were very loud, no doubt the entire house could hear. Briseis didn't care though, not that they heard, not that the tales of the wailing Princess would likely circulate throughout the entire city when she was not yet an hour gone. There was something cleansing to this that she needed, and so Briseis sobbed.

Briseis managed to shout a reassurance that everything was fine and the activity in the other room died down. She heard as servants brought the refreshments and left the room again. Andrion pulled a different chair around so he could be in front of Briseis and began pouring the tea. The child's warm tiny hands rubbed what could be reached of Briseis' face. It was as if the tiny girl understood her grief for its mother and was trying to comfort her.

Awhile later, Briseis couldn't say how long later but it felt like hours had passed, though she knew that couldn't be true as the shadows in the room from the sunlight hadn't moved, she withdrew from crying into the babe's blanket. Briseis' eyes felt raw and she could only imagine what she looked like now. Even when she'd first learned of Lavda's death she didn't think she'd cried that hard, though the memory was fuzzy, almost like a dream or scene being described to her instead of one she'd lived not so long ago.

The babe smiled at her and Brisies saw her old friend again. There were no more tears, she'd spent them all. Her lips did tremble as she smiled weakly at the babe and offered her a single finger. The tiny Brisies took the finger of the older Briseis and let out a joyous cry as she began to wave it around. Briseis lifted her face to Andrion's though she allowed the babe to keep her finger hostage.

"I—I blamed you. For her death," Briseis managed to say. Andrion's face dropped in sadness. "It was wrong of me. It was a dishonor to Lavda and you for me to do so and I ask your forgiveness. I have disgraced myself. I know if she'd known she'd die in the childbed Lavda would have still carried this child. I beg for your pardon, Andrion and for Lavda's."

Andrion put his hand on her knee. "You have it, my Princess. Of course you do. You were the best friend Lavda ever had. Even if you had come in here with the rage of a bull I would have forgiven you. I too blamed myself. It's as you say, if Lavda had known she would not have changed a thing. Would you like me to hold her now?" He gestured to the desk beside them. There was food, tea and wine but also a wash basin of steaming water and a few towels next to it.

Briseis nodded as she handed the child back to her father. Tiny Briseis cooed happily and that brought a small smile to his face. After washing her face, she took her seat again and found she had a ravenous hunger. The babe had fallen asleep and Andrion placed her in a cradle on the other side of the room.

Andrion allowed her to eat and drink her fill before he spoke. "I never thought to see you again."

Briseis set her cup of tea down. "I came here because there is something I want you to do. Something I feel you must do."

Andrion poured himself a small goblet of wine. "What favor do you ask of me?"

"I brought with me three chests filled to the brim with gold. I want you to leave Pedasus."

Andrion choked on his wine. After he had coughed himself right again he looked at her in surprise. "Leave? Why? Is this banishment?"

"No, of course not. I suppose you haven't been keeping up with the latest news since Lavda's death. Alexander, the lost Prince of Troy, has stolen the wife of Menelaus, King of Sparta, and claimed her as his own. Priam won't send her back and we've gotten confirmation that a fleet of Greek warships thousands upon thousands strong sails for Troy as we speak."

"War," Andrion cursed. "But why should I leave my home and business? Surely Troy and her allies can defeat these invaders quickly, or Priam will see sense and give the woman back. Surely the war won't come as far as here."

"I have reason to believe this war will be a very long one. I've spent the last six months in Troy, and I can tell you for a fact Priam will let the city burn before he surrenders Helen for his son's sake."

"That's ludicrous!" His shout stirred the baby. She groaned but didn't fully wake. He lowered his voice, "How can this be so?"

"Unfortunately it is the future we will face. I've had a prophecy from an extremely reliable source this war will happen, and the gods only know how long it will rage. But I fear it could last long enough to touch Pedasus. That's why I want you to leave with your children, for your safety and thiers; I owe it to Lavda to see you all safe. I believe you should make for the Hittite Empire. Though they may fight one day with Troy, I doubt the Greeks will go as far as to invade it. I've done what I can to secure Padasus' safety but it's a conditional agreement and I know not if I will succeed." The words were out of her mouth before she realized what she said.

"What sort of bargain have you struck? And with whom? Who has the power to secure such a promise but a god?"

"My mother, Athena, Goddess of War and Wisdom. She's charged me with a quest and as I said I don't know if I will succeed but as long as I am on the path to do so, her power shall protect Pedasus. Though if I fail..." she couldn't finish. It was the best deal she could get after Athena had told Briseis of her will. That was the only bargain Athena would strike with her in addition to the one already spoken. The protection of her home as long as she intended to do as asked.

"What have you promised her," Andrion asked.

"It's of no matter," Briseis stood.

Andrion stood with her. "It is. Briseis I know you and I are not the best of friends but I beg you, please tell me what you've done to try and secure the safety of our home."

Briseis bit her lip. It wasn't forbidden for her to tell. Athena would have sworn her to silence if it were. But still Briseis hadn't planned to tell anyone of this. Not even Kegarta. And yet she had already let it slip to Andrion. Even if she didn't tell another person of this quest, she suddenly felt the need to speak to someone about it.

"She's demanded I kill Achilles in her honor."

Andrion went slack jawed and looked at her as if she'd sprouted another head like a hydra. "Briseis," Andrion ran his hands through his hair and began to pace. "Achilles? Achilles? The greatest warrior the world has ever known to perish by your hand? Forgive me for saying so but your mother has given you an impossible task."

"There are more ways to kill a man than by my hand driving a sword into his chest. It may not be as impossible as it seems," her words were true but that didn't mean the task would be easy.

"Be that as it may, how would you even get close to this man? Have you not heard the stories about Achilles? His savagery at the sack of Athens is well known. And he was but a boy of thirteen then when he joined Helen's brothers Castor and Pollux to save her from the kidnapping of Theseus!"

She held up a hand to calm him but it appeared to do little. "I know, believe me I know."

"And how do you answer my question?" Andrion challenged. "How will you get close enough to this man to even accomplish this task?"

I might as well tell him, she thought, it's too late to deny anything. "I am on my way to marry Prince Mynes of Lyrnessus. My father secured the alliance not long ago, most of the kingdom is unaware I leave this day to face my groom. In exchange for my hand Mynes is giving my father his youngest son to be adopted as the heir."

Andrion stopped pacing and raised an eyebrow. "What does one have to do with the other?"

"As I told you earlier I have a prophecy from a reliable source the war is coming. I have another prophecy from that same source saying I will wed Achilles before this war is over."

It took Andrion a few seconds to work it out but once he did his eyes lit with, astonishment, fear, and then anger. "You mean to be his war bride after Achilles sacks Lyrnessus."

"Yes."

"Briseis don't do this! Forget what your mother wants, forget trying to protect Pedasus, a city that has never looked on you with anything but suspicion and fear because you were born under the black sun, you mean to safeguard myself and my children for the sake of my wife. Do the same for yourself. Come with us and leave this idiotic idea behind. A man that savage in battle will be the same in his daily life, even to a wife. Athena's will be damned." Thunder met the conclusion of his speech.

Did that mean Athena heard or was it a coincidence? Wind began to blow and the sky started to grow dimmer, wind swept in from the open windows and it brought with it the scent of rain. Just a storm, she thought. Just a storm. "I will not. This is something I must do for more reasons than you know." She turned and picked up the rose she'd left on the desk. An owl flew in from the window and landed next to her hand on the desk. "This is Io. You know owls are my special companions. I ask you, take Io with you. I will keep an eye on you all through her eyes."

"I will take Io. But I ask you, reconsider your plan."

She shook her head. "I can't. I will leave this for Lavda in the upper solar. The chests of gold are in your parlor. Make your arrangements soon. The sooner I know you and the children are safe the easier I will sleep at night."

"I promise." There was silence for a moment then Andrion spoke again. "Athena is your mother? She's a maiden goddess."

"I asked her about that when she appeared to me. Apparently the tales of men about the gods are not all true, just widely believed." Briseis left him alone with the waking baby. She climbed the stairs quickly. She felt more courage than she had coming here to face the room one last time. Despite the worsening weather, Briseis opened the skylight over head. She let out a gasp when she saw the sky. There wasn't a cloud in the sky but the sun was slowly beginning to go dark. A half disk like shape turned a third of the sun black and that third was slowly expanding.

"On the day I arrived the sun was black and now it darkens again as I leave. Maybe the rumors are true and I am cursed in more ways than one," she said to herself. Briseis placed the black rose in the center of the room and said a silent prayer to her friend. Then she stood and left the room.

She found Andrion and Kegarta in the parlor. His servants were taking the gold chests away as he ordered his things packed. Io stood watching the scene from a high perch. Kegarta held tiny Briseis and cooed at the laughing child softly.

"We must be going now, Kegarta," Briseis said kindly.

"Of course," the girl handed the babe back to Andrion.

"Stay safe, my Princess," Andrion said while holding out his hand.

"I will try," she clasped his arm in farewell and nodded to Io.

The procession of Brisies' exit from Pedasus continued on. Instead of going back into the carriage Brisies rode her mare. The animal was as dark as the sun was becoming. The people hissed in fear and whispered about the Princess of the Black Sun as she passed. Mothers pulled their children close in fear and shutters closed by fearful wives and husbands slammed shut as her shadow passed over them.

"They should show you respect," Kegarta said in disapproval as she rode beside Briseis.

"Ignore it. There's nothing to be done."

"Very well, Highness."

As promised, Lord Leander awaited her at the gate. Just as she arrived there the sun went dark completely and a terrible silence overtook the city behind her. Even the birds didn't sing, no dog barked, not even a horse snorted. "You are a pleasant sight on my day of farewell, Lord Leander."

He wasn't alone. A small wagon and two men were with him. "My Princess. I felt the need to honor your trust in me." He snapped his fingers and his men began to unload the wagon. Her own guards came forward to receive the gifts and tie them to her wagon. "More special silk from my spiders," he told her. "None of it is sewn into clothing, I'm afraid. I gathered all I had ready for your protection. Your father and Vhasti will have to wait for their own."

"You honor me, Lord Leander. And I fear where I am headed I will desperately need that projection."

"I pray not, Highness."

Briseis thanked him again and then waved goodbye as they passed through the gates. Only when she had ridden a mile from the gate, did the sun begin to clear.

A/N Hello readers! This chapter was a bit heavy hitting and super long but I hope you enjoyed it. The purpose of this announcement is to say the next chapter will be an Achilles POV many years in the past. I've had this planned for awhile. From now on there will be Achilles POV chapters both in the past and current timeline. They won't be as numerous as Briseis POV has been but they will be there. I know this might seem strange since the only chapter not from Briseis POV has been the prologue thus far. The reason I waited so long before introducing Achilles chapters is I wanted you to have a good grasp on Briseis, her character and her struggles.

See you in the next one!

Remember to vote and comment if you're liking the story and even recommend this to a friend if you feel so inclined.

—AvatarAshdel 🙂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

780 62 20
War has raged outside the walls of Troy for the past seven years. Safe inside the royal palace, Briseis, a spirited young Trojan princess, sits back...
15 0 16
This is a story based on a world ranging from werewolves to elves and even humans, but starts somewhere far, far beyond. The moon goddess was one who...
Displaced By

Paranormal

5 0 3
For centuries Persephone lived in the Underworld with Hades. She finally escaped but it caused the displacement of Greek Gods and Goddesses to Earth...
258 3 30
*All Characters are based of off Homer's great work the Illiad You have heard my name before. I am the face that launched a thousand ships. The face...