Bravely Courageous

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Marguerite, better known as Maggie, and her brother are no strangers to the supernatural. Long before a loca... More

Aesthetics
Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65

50

24 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Maggie frowned, staring at the younger Derek Hale. "Um, maybe we should take him to Scott's boss."

Scott glanced at her and nodded. "Good idea."

When they reached the Animal Clinic, Deaton took one look at Derek and his eyes widened. "Wow."

"Wow?" Stiles questioned. "Wow as in, "I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do" kind of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

Caleb glanced at his friend. "I'm pretty certain it's the other kind of wow."

Deaton turned to Stiles. "I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

Lydia took Derek's hand. "He's cold. Really cold."

Scott looked up at his boss. "Do you think this is permanent?"

Deaton shrugged. "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience."

While staring at Derek, Maggie asked, "Okay, what are we going to do with him?"

"Until he wakes up, probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles questioned.

Deaton glanced at Stiles. "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

Lydia frowned. "Why would she want to do this to him?"

Maggie frowned. "Knowing Kate, it's good for her but bad for us."

Deaton looked between them. "You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep. It's a school night... And you all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

Scott looked up at the druid. "Someone should stay with you."

Lydia glanced down at Derek who was still holding her hand. "I'll stay. My grades are fine... Despite missing a few classes."

Caleb shook his head. "I don't like that idea."

Lydia looked at him as she said, "Guys, go."

Caleb frowned. "No."

Maggie dragged him out as Scott said, "Text us if anything happens."

Outside the clinic, Caleb began arguing. "Scott, we know nothing about this Derek! I don't trust her alone with him."

Maggie looked at her brother. "Lydia is a big girl. She can handle herself. She'll be fine."

---

As soon as Scott got home, he tried to be quiet, but something crashed to the ground and he picked up a toolbox.

"Scott?" Agent McCall asked.

Scott gave his dad an awkward smile. "Hey, Dad. What's with the tools?"

He sighed. "Oh, I was just, uh... getting started on a list of repairs you guys need done. What time is it?"

"It's um... Midnight," Scott lied, glancing at the clock.

Agent McCall sighed once again. "We were supposed to have dinner. We had a deal. When your mom has a night shift, we eat dinner."

Scott nodded apologetically. "Sorry, I totally forgot about it. When we got back from the camping trip, I had to go straight to the Animal Clinic to finish up work."

"All right, well... Tomorrow night. Dinner."

"Great."

"Did you get anything to eat?"

"Mexican."

---

In history the next day, Maggie was drawing little wisps all over her notebook. Mr. Yukimura smiled at the class. "It might surprise you to know that some of history's greatest leaders have had to endure some pretty great failures. One you'll recognize from last night's reading failed in business, had a nervous breakdown, was defeated for both houses of Congress, and lost as Vice President, before he was finally elected as one of the greatest presidents that this country has ever seen. Who was he? Malia."

The werecoyote was holding a highlighter in her mouth like a bone and drawing red lines. Scott's phone chimed with a message and Mr. Yukimura said, "Scott, phones off." Scott did so as Mr. Yukimura asked, "Malia? One of our greatest presidents. Gettysburg Address?" Maggie's phone buzzed with a message. "Maggie, phone off." Caleb's phone buzzed. "Caleb, phone off."

Someone else's phone chimed and Mr. Yukimura said again, "Phones off, everyone. Malia?" He sighed, knowing she wasn't going to answer. "Does anyone else know?" Everyone raised their hands but Maggie and Caleb.

Another phone chimed and Mr. Yukimura cried, "I said phones off!"

"Dad, that was yours," Kira said.

"Oh," he answered, picking up his phone. "Um... Scott, Caleb or Maggie, call Lydia."

They made their way to the Animal Clinic and Deaton said, "I don't think he's just younger in body. I think he's younger in mind, too."

Lydia glanced to them. "He didn't recognize either of us." She let out a sigh. "And he looked like he was scared out of his mind."

Stiles thought for a moment. "So if you're a teenage werewolf and you're scared, where do you go?"

Scott frowned. "A wolf goes back to its den. But Derek lives in a loft."

Maggie shook her head. "As a teenager, where did Derek live?"

Lydia glanced to her. "The Hale House?"

Deaton nodded. "He wouldn't remember the fire. It wouldn't have happened yet."

Lydia narrowed her eyes. "Hold on. Say you manage to catch up to him. What are you going to say to him? That his whole family is dead?"

Maggie jerked a thumb towards her friend. "Since this guy sucks at lying, I can do it. I'm a good liar. Really not a good thing, but I'm the best liar we've got."

Lydia sighed at her words. "Oh. Well, good luck with that."

Stiles glanced to Maggie. "She's right, Maggie. You shouldn't do this. Maybe you should wait until things get back to normal. I mean, until we can figure it out."

"Stiles, I can do it," the blonde said.

Scott turned to his friend. "Maggie, you know as well as I do that he can hear a rising heartbeat. We should tell him the truth."

Deaton glanced between to the two of them. "If he gets to the house first, you won't have to."

Maggie looked at her friend. "Scott, I'll be fine."

The four of them made their way to the station and the sheriff pulled them into his office. "I'll handle this. I want you to be honest with me. Absolutely and completely honest. Have you been time traveling?"

"Hang on, what?" Stiles and Caleb asked.

The sheriff continued. "Because if time traveling is real, you know what? I'm done. I'm out. You're going to be driving me to Eichen House."

"We found him like that," Stiles said.

"Where? Swimming in the fountain of youth?"

"No. We found him buried in a tomb of wolfsbane in an Aztec temple in Mexico underneath a church in the middle of a town that was destroyed by an earthquake."

"You told me you were camping!"

Stiles nodded slowly. "Yeah, we were... in Mexico."

Scott said, "Derek's been aged backwards. He can't remember anything. We just need to talk to him."

Sheriff Stlinski let out a sigh. "Yeah, well, so far he's not talking to anybody."

"He'll talk to me."

They left the office and found Derek sitting in a chair. He looked up at them and asked in an annoyed tone, "Why would I go anywhere with you?"

Scott said, "There was an accident. You lost some memory, but we can help you get it back."

"How much memory?"

"A lot. But you can trust us," Scott reassured, showing Derek his werewolf eyes.

"You're an Alpha. Okay, who are you? And who is he? Who is she? Who are you?"

"Oh, we're the ones keeping you out of jail," Stiles said sarcastically.

"Let us help you," Scott and Caleb told him.

Derek shook his head and glared. "No."

Stiles narrowed his eyes. "Okay, dude, you almost tore apart two cops back there. You need to listen to us. And that starts with no fangs, no claws, no wolf-man. You got that?"

"I'm fine as long as it's not on a full moon."

Scott frowned. "You still have trouble with the full moon?"

"I said I'm fine."

Stiles rolled his eyes. "All right, you coming with us or not?"

Derek narrowed his eyes. "You want me to trust you? Where's my family?"

Maggie crouched in front of Derek and said, "There was a fire. Your family isn't here anymore. But they're fine. They had to leave Beacon Hills for awhile. As soon as we get your memories back, we'll take you to them. All right?"

He offered her a small smile and released a breath. "Okay."

They stepped away from Derek and Scott turned to her. "You shouldn't have done that. You lied your ass off."

Maggie glanced at Derek and back to Scott. "I think I pulled it off."

Stiles nodded and gave her a small smile. "We'll figure this out in a day or two. He goes back to being old Derek, everyone's happy. Except for Derek, who's never happy."

Scott let out a sigh. "It's just another person that we're lying to. I always feel like it's always been better when we tell them the truth. With Lydia, my mom, your dad."

"Yeah, but that is Derek Hale in there. He may be a kid right now, but he's still Derek Hale."

"All right," Scott said. "You two take him to my house and don't let him out of your sight."

"What about you? What are you gonna do?" Caleb asked.

"I'm going to talk to the guy we should have gone to before."

Stiles nodded. "Uh... Yeah, I hate that guy. A punch might do him some good."

Scott and Caleb, who decided to go with his friend, left and Stiles drove them to Scott's and turned to Derek. "We're going to wait here for Scott. We're going to sit quietly. We're not going to call or talk to anyone?"

"Do I talk to you?" Derek questioned.

"No."

Derek glanced at Maggie. "Do I talk to her? She's pretty."

Stiles glared daggers at the young werewolf. "Don't talk to her, don't look at her, don't even think about her."

Derek let out a sigh and nodded. "Fine. Good. Who's going to talk to him?"

Stiles jumped as he noticed Agent McCall. "Ah! Are you getting taller?"

"What are you doing here?"

"We're waiting for Scott," Derek answered.

Agent McCall nodded. "Yeah, so am I. We're supposed to have dinner. You guys hungry?"

"Yeah."

Maggie nodded. "I am."

Stiles shook his head, frowning at them. "No. We're not hungry."

"No, I'm starving," Derek argued.

"So am I," Maggie added, glancing at her friend.

Stiles shook his head once again and tried to drag them away. "Neither of us are hungry. Thanks, though."

Agent McCall looked to Maggie and Derek. "Okay, well, if you're not hungry, Stiles, Maggie and your friend can still eat with us. What's your name?"

Derek opened his mouth to respond, but Stiles beat him to it. "Miguel. My cousin Miguel. From Mexico. So..."

Agent McCall started speaking Spanish and Stiles began panicking. "Oh my God."

Derek answered in Spanish and the agent smiled. "Fantastic. Egg roll?"

He smiled back. "Hell yeah."

They gathered around a table and Agent McCall told them what was there. "Shrimp fried rice or pork fried rice?"

"Shrimp fried rice. Beef and broc."

Stiles let out a groan as Agent McCall said, "Fantastic! Egg roll. Maggie?"

"Pork fried rice and sweet and sour chicken please," the witch answered.

Maggie got her food and began eating.

A few minutes later, Agent McCall looked up at Derek. "So, uh, Miguel. What did you say your last name was again?"

Before Derek could say anything, Stiles said, "Oh, it's Juarez. Cinqua... Tiago."

"That's a mouthful. How do you spell that?"

"Phonetically."

Maggie narrowed her eyes at Stiles, warning him to keep quiet.

"Mr. McCall, you're an FBI agent?" Derek asked.

"He's low level," Stiles said. "Very low level. He doesn't even have a voice." Maggie glared at him and kicked his shin and he glared at her in return.

"So do you investigate murders?"

"Sometimes," Agent McCall replied. "When it's a federal crime."

"What about fires?"

Maggie glanced down, starting to grow more worried as to where the conversation was headed.

Stiles' eyes widened slightly. "Oh my God. I wonder where Scott is. Shouldn't Scott be here by now? We should call Scott."

"What kind of fires are you talking about?" Agent McCall asked.

Stiles let out a nervous laugh as Derek questioned, "Do you know anything about the Hale family?"

After food, they headed up to Scott's room and Derek grabbed the back of Maggie's shirt and she shrugged him off.

"Touch me again and it'll be the last thing you ever do," Maggie snapped.

Derek glared at her and said, "You lied to me! I trusted you!"

Stiles turned to Derek. "She didn't lie to you. She just omitted certain truths. Vital truths, now that I think about it."

Derek shook his head and glared. "I don't want to talk to you. Or her. Witches obviously can't be trusted. I want to talk to the Alpha. I'll talk to Scott."

Maggie let out a huff. "Stiles, go get him."

Stiles grabbed her wrist, not trusting her with Derek. They walked down the stairs and he called Scott. "No, he's in your bedroom. He'll be totally fine. To be honest, I'm starting to miss the old Derek. So, if you think that Kate's coming to find him..." They reached Scott's room and saw Kate climbing out Scott's window. "You might be right."

Stiles turned to Maggie and said, "He was wrong, you know. About how you can't trust witches. I trust you. I always do."

Maggie smiled slightly. "Thanks, Stiles."

"Sure. You ready to go?"

"Yeah."

They made their way to the Hale vault, which they found out was right outside the school. Maggie and Caleb rushed towards the fight while Stiles and Lydia headed in a different direction.

The siblings heard fighting on the second floor and rushed to join them. They saw Derek fighting two monsters with scary masks. They raised their hands and stood on either side of him.

They started attacking the masked figures. A hue of purple surrounded them.

Scott, Malia and Kira were each holding their own. The monster Maggie and Caleb were attacking tried to escape, but couldn't. Eventually, it ran off and Maggie smirked as Scott asked, "Derek?"

They turned to see the Derek Hale they remembered. The only thing that was different was when he flicked his eyes. Instead of the steely blue they should have been, they were a golden yellow.

Maggie and Caleb's friends turned to them and Malia looked at them before saying, "Have you two always been that powerful?"

Maggie nodded. "Yes. It'd be best to stay on our good side."

Derek glanced at Maggie and Caleb with a smile. "They've proven quite capable and helpful in the past."

Derek nodded and a feeling of dread set in the witch and warlock's deepest soul that things were about to get a lot more complicated and dangerous yet again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.4K 70
*Before you read. I wrote this a really long time ago and made a mistake with Lia's age that I can't fix. Can you please ignore it and enjoy the rest...
882 32 15
With a second chance at life, Kya continues her involvement in helping her friends with the supernatural beings in town. But no one knows what's to...
40.7K 579 54
Kasia Stilinski is no stranger to the supernatural, but being around a werewolf, a Banshee, werewolf hunters, and other such residents of Beacon Hill...
679 45 39
"I get back up, that is the whole point. Always get back up and eventually, your opponent will just collapse from sheer and total exhaustion." +++++ ...