A New Masterpiece (COTE x OC)

By kinato_

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji, the masterpiece of the Whiteroom, an unchallenged existence in this world, with unfathom... More

Chapter 1 - The Opening
Chapter 2 - First Introductions
Chapter 3 - The Student Council President
Chapter 4 - An Unusual Outing
Chapter 5 - Class Leaders
Chapter 6 - Revelations
Chapter 7 - Study Group
Chapter 8 - A New Goal
Chapter 9 - Midterms
Chapter 10 - Bad News
Chapter 11 - The Trial
Chapter 12 - Silver Lining
SS.1 - Growth (Horikita)
Chapter 13 - A Break
Chapter 14 - Deserted Island Exam (1)
Chapter 15 - Deserted Island Exam (2)
Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Exam (3)
Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Exam (4)
Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Exam (5)
Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Exam (6)
Chapter 20 - Deserted Island Exam (Finale)
Chapter 21 - A Day Off
Chapter 22 - Zodiac Exam (1)
Chapter 23 - Zodiac Exam (2)
Chapter 24 - Zodiac Exam (3)
Chapter 25 - Zodiac Exam (Finale)
Chapter 26 - Sazae-san Syndrome
Chapter 27 - The Beginning
Chapter 28 - A Leader
Chapter 29 - Ability
SS.2 - Behind a Mask (Kushida)
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - The Renegade
Chapter 32 - The Show Begins
Chapter 33 - Challenges
Chapter 34 - Dirty Tricks
Chapter 35 - Breakpoint
Chapter 36 - Farce
Chapter 36.5 - Small Talk
Chapter 37 - Collapse
Chapter 38 - Negotiations
Chapter 39 - Elites
Chapter 40 - Resolve (1)
Chapter 41 - Resolve (2)
Chapter 42 - Paper Shuffle
Chapter 43 - The Changing Class D
Chapter 45 - A Warning
Chapter 46 - Indignity
Chapter 47 - Vengeance
Chapter 48 - The Cunning
SS.3 - A New Goal (Sakayanagi)
Chapter 49 - Pursuer
Chapter 50 - Unexpected Coincidence
Chapter 51 - A Club Members Duties
Chapter 52 - A Senior's Wish
Chapter 53 - Setting A Stage
Chapter 54 - The Final Act Begins
Chapter 55 - The Pain of Hope
Chapter 56 - The Beginning of the End
Chapter 57 - The Fear of the Unknown
Chapter 58 - Dread
Chapter 59 - Bloom
Chapter 60 - Preparation
News
Chapter 61 - Initiation
Chapter 62 - A Good Gift
Chapter 63 - A Christmas Date? Pt.1
Chapter 64 - A Christmas Date? Pt.2

Chapter 44 - Proposition

1K 71 36
By kinato_

"Fukumoto-kun, will you be alright?" Kushida asked.

"I'm sure the school will handicap the test for you," Hirata said.

"No way they would actually do that," Kei responded.

Most of the class had swarmed to my desk in the back corner of the classroom to voice their concerns about my newfound situation.

"Welp, what can you do. Nice knowing ya," said Yamauchi.

A few individuals near my desk turned to him in complete shock at his statement.

"No way you actually mean that," Mii-chan replied.

"He's a smart guy and all, but no one could pass this final. It's best to say goodbye now."

"You wouldn't abandon a precious classmate so easily, would you, Yamauchi-kun?" Kushida tried pleading with him.

"Eh..." Yamauchi was at a loss for words as one of his 'favorite' classmates shot back at him.

"It's fine, everyone," I said. "Don't worry about me. That's my own concern. Right now, you all need to focus on your studies and passing this final," I said in a reassuring tone.

Most of the class still had worried looks on their faces, but they didn't press any further.

"I'll be holding study groups until the final exam," Horikita said. "If Hirata-kun, Kushida-san, and Fukumoto-kun agree, We'll hold two study sessions per day. For two hours, at 4pm and 8pm. We'll each lead a session."

"I can. And because of my club activities, I'll take charge of the second group, let's do our best," Hirata replied.

"I think it would be best if Kushida and I attended both study sessions. We could help the lead tutor with more specific teaching, as many more students will probably be requesting the help," I suggested.

"That would be much appreciated, Fukumoto-kun," Hirata said.

"Tch, why do club activities have to get in the way," Sudo mumbled under his breath. Obviously frustrated that he couldn't attend the study sessions with his precious Suzune.

"I'll be bothered if you don't try. SO either way, you must give it your best."

"Will do."

"May I speak to you, Horikita-san?" Miyake Akito asked while Haruka remained close by.

"What's the problem?" Horikita asked.

"Wait, are you two partners?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, that's the case," Hasebe replied.

Miyake handed both their quizzes to us. Miyake scored seventy-nine, while Hasebe scored one point. But he also showed us their midterm results. A sixty-five and a sixty-three, with further examination, you could tell they were equally good and bad at the same things.

"I'm sorry to be a burden like this again," Miyake continued. "But I thought bringing this to your attention would help us more."

"This is a conundrum," Horikita muttered.

"I would like to tutor you both privately since I've already tutored Hasebe. But my hands are already full with being a part of two study groups," I added.

"It's fine, Fuky. You've got your own studies to worry about too," Hasebe said.

They both seemed rather defeated at the moment, as they both immediately left the classroom, seeming as the issue likely wouldn't be resolved.

"Fuky?-"

"Don't apologize, you two, I'm sure we can think of something," Hirata said to their walking backs.

"If only someone could take on these two..." Horikita said as she eyed her desk neighbor.

But Ayanokouji offered nothing in response. He was obviously trying to stay out of this.

"I can tutor them," Yukimura interjected into the conversation.

"That's great," I said, clasping onto his shoulder. "You're a diligent and academically gifted student. Besides, having a smaller group allows for a more thorough approach."

"Yes, I'll do what I can. But I'm afraid talking to them will be tricky for me. The studying not so much," Yukimura added.

"Well, I would help break the ice, but I can't do that."

"Well, what can we do then?" Horikita asked.

And in that moment. The most brilliant idea of all ideas hit me.

"I'll have my trusty partner mediate them. He's calm, analytical, quiet, and most of all fits the vibe of this group."

"Who's that? Hirata asked.

I gave a light slap on Ayanokouji's back. "This is who I'm speaking about. He can help."

"What? I have my own studies to attend to-,"

"Hurry up," I said as I ushered him out the door. "You've got to be nice, alright."

"But, I have a stomachache-," Ayanokouji tried to snake his way out of it, but I closed the door on him before he could get out of this amazing opportunity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jeez, it's like people actually care about their grades," I complained.

The library was filled to the brim with students, while it was still quiet, it was also very crowded. Most students were fully focused on their studies as they prepared for finals.

"Your the one to talk. Currently, you are the most likely to be expelled from this school. Even Ike has a higher chance than you," Horikita cruelly replied.

"Come on, you know, I won't go down that easy."

"Get your act together and help other students with their studies then," she shot back.

"Fine, fine," I replied in defeat as I took a seat at the large table we had acquired for our study session.

Quite a few classmates were attending this meeting, even Kiyotaka and Maya had joined us.

I knew they were partners and all in this exam, and considering recent events, Maya would want to be close to Kiyotaka.

But it was quite alarming to see them that close already.

They were practically shoulder to shoulder, I know this is a library, and whispering to each other is respectful but like.

Wow.

This probably wasn't because of Kiyotaka's own initiative, though. He doesn't have any emotions at all anyways.

Even Yamauchi and Ike, who had joined us, stared at the two in confusion.

"Sorry for being late, Horikita-san."

I looked toward the sound of the voice and was quite shocked to see who it was.

Ichinose and eight other members from Class B made their way over to our study session.

"It's no bother," Horikita replied. "I hope you all don't mind. But since we aren't in quarrels with Class B during this final. I thought it would be best to hold a study session with them too."

Ike and Yamauchi jumped at the sight of Ichinose. "No problem!" they replied in unison.

"Well then, should we begin?" Horikita said.

All the other members of Class B took their seats as we were to begin our first study session.

Ichinose took the last free seat that was to my left. "Good to see you, Fukumoto-kun," she replied with her usual warm smile.

"It's my pleasure," I replied. "I'll need all the help I can get."

"Oh no, I'm sure you're as equally academically gifted as you are athletic. If anything, I'll need your help."

"Actually, Ichinose-san," Horikita cut in. "Would you mind personally overseeing Fukumoto-kun's studies for a bit? He'll need all the help."

"Of course, I can!" Ichinose turned to look at me with a worried face. "Are your grades not as high as I expected?"

"It's not that at all," I replied. "Well, since our class has an odd amount of students. One person was going to be forced to take this final alone. And well, that is me."

Ichinose was completely shocked at my statement. "Do you know if the school will give you special treatment as you are writing this final solo?"

"I couldn't tell you."

Ichinose quickly dug into her bag and brought out all her textbooks and notebooks.

"I'll make sure you don't get expelled," she replied with resounding confidence as we began to study.

~~~

"Thank you for your help today, Ichinose. I feel far more confident now," I said.

"It's no problem at all! Please keep me posted on how you're doing."

"Phew... I'm beat," Ike whined as soon as the study session had wrapped up.

"This is not the end, I expect you to keep studying," Horikita answered back.

"Yeah, just be proud I came," Ike yelled back toward us as he raced out of the library with Yamauchi in tow.

"I wish I could have that energy like your class does," Ichinose said.

"Lively in all the wrong ways. I envy you and Class B more," Horikita replied.

"Goodbye, everyone," Kushida said as she left the study group with a few people trailing behind.

Only left me, Kiyotaka, Horikita, Ichinose, and a few other Class B members left.

"Ichinose-san, could I ask you a few questions?" Horikita suddenly asked.

"You guys go on ahead, I'm going to stay and talk for a bit," Ichinose waved off her fellow classmates for some more privacy.

"What did you want to talk about?" asked Ichinose.

"If a friend or ally were in trouble, you'd help them, right?" Horikita asked.

"Absolutely. Isn't that normal?"

"So if someone were to reach out to you for help, you'd offer them a hand. Right?"

"Of course, I would," Ichinose replied without hesitation.

"So, what would be your criteria for who is and isn't a friend?"

I could see the pattern through these questions. Lately, a conflict between Kushida and Horikita had been brewing.

In the past, Kiyotaka, Horikita, and I had dealt with these problems together. But recently, it seemed I was being left out of the loop.

This roundabout method of asking Ichinose what she would do in a position like this may be Horikita hiding the weakness within Class D or something else entirely.

"What do you mean?" Ichinose asked.

"Would you unconditionally help someone if they were from your own class? Even if they didn't bring much value?"

"I'd always be on Class B's side. If someone were in trouble, I'd help. And I'm sure Kanzaki-kun and others would too."

"What if someone in your class hated you. Would you still help them?" Horiktia questioned.

"Without hesitation. I will always be Class B's ally."

"Your friends with people outside Class B, right, Ichinose?" Kiyotaka suddenly joined the conversation.

"Of course, I am, you, Horikita-san, Fukumoto-kun, and many others."

"So, if we were in trouble, and needed one million points, you'd help us?"

"If it's a good reason, I'd help no matter what. The amount doesn't matter," Ichinose replied firmly.

"Wow, you're generosity knows no bounds," I said.

"There is a limit, though," Ichinose said. "For you three, I'd use everything within my power to help you. But someone like Ryuuen-kun... there would be a limit as to what I can do."

"What if someone from Class B and I had the same problem," Horikita continued to press.

"You mean, if I had to pick between one of you?"

"Precisely."

"I can't answer that. It's a hypothetical scenario. And I know in each outcome, no matter who I helped, someone would be hurt."

We were all genuinely surprised at her answers. We all had known Ichinose to be the kind and supportive type, but I don't believe any of us understood the lengths she would go to for someone.

"I never truly believed purely good people existed. Humans are a crafty species, always seeking out their own self-gain," Horikita said. "After hearing your responses, though, maybe there are good people in this world."

Ichinose seemed to be taken aback by Horikita's words. "You give me too much credit."

Up until now, she radiated confidence and certainty throughout our conversation, but her eyes started to dart around the room. Not making eye contact with anyone.

"Truly, you're a better person than anyone I've ever met," I added.

"I don't think I'm that great," Ichinose replied. As tears begin to form in the corner of her eyes.

"Sorry for making you stay around and answer my silly questions," Horikita said.

"No problem, I'll see you tomorrow," Ichinose replied as she quickly left the scene.

"What are you going to do about Kushida?" Kiyotaka asked Horikita.

"I don't know. She's special, so I'll need to be careful."

"I have a few suggestions," Kiyotaka continued. "We could have-,"

bzzz

A notification sounded from my phone.

"Oh, my bad, you two keep talking," I said as I excused myself to check what this notification was about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown ID:

[5 minutes. At the corner of the library with the chess board.]

Fukumoto:

[And how did you contact me?]

Unknown ID:

[Just go.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hm. That was quite odd. But no harm in going.

"Sorry, I'll have to leave you now," I said to Ayanokouji and Horikita.

"It's fine, we were wrapping up anyways," Horikita replied.

I quickly packed up my belongings and headed to the section of the library that had the only chess board.

I had spent quite a bit of time in this facility, so I knew the ins and outs of every part of it.

Unfortunately, the meeting location was on the other side of the library.

What a pain.

~~~

"It seems you got the message?"

"I did. But I wondered why you didn't message me directly."

"I was preoccupied," Sakayanagi said without taking her eyes off the chessboard in front of her.

I pulled the seat out across from her as I watched her play chess by herself.

"This has got to be a lot of fun, playing by yourself," I spoke up.

"Fufu~, when none of your opponents provide a challenge, it gets boring for yourself. Aren't I right?"

"Well, maybe I'll learn chess to give you a challenge."

"Now, Hashimoto-kun informed me you wanted to meet. What did you want to discuss, Fukumoto-kun?"

"I said that half-jokingly," I replied. "But now that I have the opportunity to meet with the queen of Class A, why would I pass up the opportunity."

Sakayanagi finished the chess match as she checkmated herself, I guess.

"Why don't we discuss some place else then?" she offered.

The time was 6:11pm. Keyaki Mall closed around 8pm. So we'd barely have enough time to talk if we left now.

I got up from my chair and offered Sakayanagi my right arm in support.

"We'll need to leave now if we want to make it in time."

Sakayanagi, slowly, but elegantly reached out to my hand for support as she got up from her seat. "What a gentleman you are," she replied.

After quite a bit of walking, we finally made it to a lesser-known cafe in Keyaki Mall.

It took us quite a bit of time due to Sakayanagi's medical condition. But we made it.

I had noticed quite a few people from our year drilling their stares into us as we traveled to the mall.

It's not often Class leaders meet up in public. To also see them in such close proximity with their hands intertwined brought about more stares.

Luckily, the cafe we had chosen wasn't so filled with students.

Being extra cautious, though, we decided to sit near the back corner of the cafe to limit any prying eyes.

"What is it you wanted to discuss, Fukumoto-kun?" Sakayanagi asked.

"It's about this upcoming final exam. More specifically, the Paper Shuffle Exam. I was wondering if you'd be able to indulge in my vision?" I asked.

Sakayanagi responded with her classic smug grin. "I'd be willing to hear you out."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN's:

i wonder what he's got planned????

thank you all for the continued support on this book means alot to me:)

have a wonderful day

bye for now, legends

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.2K 3.3K 28
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, the Masterpiece of the White Room has gone missing, disappearing into thin air one night before the end of spring break. His whe...
297K 3.3K 14
In an alternate universe where Ayanokōji Atsuomi humored the desires of Ayanokōji Kiyotaka, the story changes in more ways than one. Instead of stayi...
22.2K 1K 9
Ayanokouji is no longer the perfect human, his father wanted him to be. Due to the stress of the White Room, Ayanokouji developed dissociative identi...
8.6K 479 20
"I hate you. " "Stay alive.... Kiyotaka...For me..." "Nah, id win." Ayanokoji Kiyotaka was going to advance nurturing highschool, the number 1 pokemo...