Ad Astra

By ad_meliora

[LGBTQ+ New Adult Fantasy] In the colonized country of Landiani, Fetia is no stranger to the oppressive tacti... More

Author's Note
Map
Glossary
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Author's Note
SNEAK PEEK: Per Aspera Chapter 1

Chapter 11

270 20 14
By ad_meliora

I wake early the next morning, just as the sun is beginning to rise. Today will be my first day dressing Princess Asteria, and while Alba made no threats to remove me, I know I must do a better than adequate job if I want to continue this special duty. I crawl down from my bed quietly, noticing Maria still sleeping soundly. I pull the curtain aside, watching the dark blue sky become painted with shades of orange and yellow. I turn the lamp on and dress quickly, now having perfected the proper way to put on my maid uniform. I can only hope the practice will be enough to assist Asteria with her gown. I gulp nervously just thinking of it. I imagine her outfits must have even more layers than my own, and I have no idea where to start.

In the kitchen, I snack on a fresh apple, knowing I will not have enough time to request a hot meal from the kitchen. I enjoy the silence; the other maids will not be up for a little while longer. I feel for the pocket in my keys then take off, ready to begin my newest duty as a maid. I attempt to walk confidently on the way to the princess's chambers, but it is difficult to hide my nerves in the way that my heart pounds and my hands tremble. If I mess up today, will the princess replace me with Josie? I almost wish Princess Asteria would have chosen an easier task for me, although I am not ungrateful for the opportunity presented to me.

I lighten my footsteps when I pass Alba's bedroom. I doubt she sleeps, but I do not want to draw attention to myself either. The last thing I would desire is for her to catch me on my way to Asteria's chambers and have her decide to observe over me and critique my work.

At Asteria's door, I suck in a deep breath and raist my fist to her door. I knock quietly, far too quiet to wake her if she slumbers, but thankfully, her familiar voice greets me on the other side.

"Come in," Asteria says.

I unlock the door and step inside. Under the glow of her lamplight, Asteria is seated on her couch in a long nightgown, stretching her arms with waking.

"Princess," I say, curtsying. "I was not quite sure if you were awake. I hope I came at an appropriate time. Were you waiting long?"

"No. Sometimes Josie does have to wake me, but I managed to wake earlier than normal today. Anyway, good morning, Fe. Did you sleep well?" she asks.

A strange question to ask, I think, but I nod. "And you?"

"Well enough," Asteria says, letting out a loud yawn. She rises from the couch, and my cheeks burn with embarrassment seeing in her so little clothing, but if I am to dress her each day, it will be something I must get used to.

"Let's head into the bedroom," Asteria says.

She leads me left into a larger room. An ornate canopy bed with white satin sheets sits against the middle of the back wall, almost beckoning me towards it with how comfortable it looks. I smile, wondering what it must be like to doze in such a cozy bed compared to the rickety bunkbed I sleep in each night. A window to the right allows morning streaks of sunlight into the room, and to the left are finely carved wooden dressers, no doubt carrying some of the princess's most expensive clothing pieces. Asteria leads me a comfortable spot near the window that hosts a velvet stool, a tall wardrobe, and a large mirror that hangs on the wall.

"Arabelle left my outfit pieces on the dresser last night," Asteria explains.

"Does she normally?" I wonder.

"It depends. Sometimes I do not want to think about what I want to wear in the morning. I knew that you would be dressing me this morning, so I wanted to make it easier for you," Asteria says.

"Thank you," I say. I turn toward the bed, figuring I should make it before assisting her, but I blink twice, realizing it is already made.

"Don't worry about the bed. I made it this morning since I had some time to spare," Asteria says.

I nod and retrieve the outfit from the dresser. I gulp nervously, staring at the pieces in my hands. There are much more than I had anticipated, and I am unsure where to start.

"Intimidating, isn't it?" Asteria asks from behind my shoulder.

"N-Not at all! I am sure I can figure it out—"

"Don't worry, Fe. I figured you may not have much experience. I can dress myself pretty sufficiently save for some pieces that I will need you to tie. Why don't I run through everything with you, so you know for the future?" Asteria suggests.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be an inconvenience," I say.

Asteria rolls her eyes. "I am tired of you saying you are an 'inconvenience,' Fe. You said it multiple times in the garden yesterday, too," Asteria says. There is a certain element of determination in her voice that I have not heard before and that seems uncharacteristic of the princess that was described to me. "I specifically asked you to dress me. It is only right that I show you how since I know you were not properly trained. Let's start with the stockings."

Asteria dresses slowly, showing me each step in the process. When it's time to tie her corset, that is when I am finally put to work. I stand behind her, carefully fastening the ties on the back.

"Is it too tight?" I ask when she makes a sound of discomfort.

"Loosen it slightly, will you?" Asteria asks.

"My apologies, Princess!" I say, loosening one of the ties I made.

"It's all right, Fe. I know you're still learning," she says soothingly.

I find a comfortable tightness and begin weaving the ribbon through. We stand silently, and I realize this is the optimal time to begin a conversation.

"Princess—"

"Please, just call me Asteria," she says.

"What? Are you sure? Alba would be upset—"

"I don't feel much like a princess these days. I understand you wanting to refer to me as 'Princess' and 'Your Highness' when around others in the estate, but I would love to hear my own name from someone else besides Alba. I would love if you would merely call me 'Asteria'," she asks.

I know I cannot deny the princess, so I nod. "Um, Asteria, then," I say.

"Yes, Fe?"

"Thank you for yesterday," I murmur. "I do not know how long it would have taken me to feel better if you had not found me in the garden. I truly am grateful that you listened to me."

"Of course," Asteria says. "Like I said, I would like to get to know you better, Fe. I hope that at least you will feel less lonely if we spend some time together."

"That is very kind of you," I say. "Is...is that the reason you asked me to dress you?"

"Partially. I thought it was appropriate for you to begin taking on some more complex duties," Asteria explains.

"But I am sure Josie does a perfectly adequate job—"

"Josie will have other duties to perform. Honestly, she is too strict with me, always nagging me on what to wear and tying my ribbons too tight when I ask her not to. She does not wake me very kindly either. Once, she even dumped cold water from a flower vase on me," Asteria says, laughing some. "I preferred when Alba used to dress me."

I finish tying Asteria's corset and step away. "Why does Alba still not dress you?" I ask.

"Alba is busy in the mornings now attending to the other maids," Asteria explains. "She dressed me when I was younger. She has known me a long time, since I was just a child. I was thrilled when she decided to accompany me from Magewell to Esterpool. I think the transition would have been much harder without her. Anyway, it is time for you to tie the pockets."

I get to work on the rest of Asteria's outfit, thinking of what she said. If Alba truly knows the princess well, then perhaps I should be making as much of an effort to appease Alba as Asteria. What I cannot learn from Asteria, I may be able to hear from Alba's lips instead.

Asteria instructs me slowly on the rest of her outfit, which I am able to piece together fittingly. Finally, she is left in her gown for the day, looking as gorgeous as ever, as much as I hate to admit it. She wears a dark blue gown today that compliments her eyes.

"You did wonderful, Fe," Asteria says as she admires herself in the mirror.

"Thank you. Although I would not have without your help," I say.

"You will learn quickly, I'm sure," Asteria says. "Would you mind brushing my hair then?" she asks.

I have Asteria sit on the velvet stool in front of the mirror. Her hair is fine and soft to the touch. I run the brush over it slowly, watching beautiful waves to form in her hair. Her blonde strands are so light in my hand that they are almost translucent. I worry I am harming Asteria with each stroke of the brush, but she appears quite content when I look at her facial expression in the mirror, almost as if she is enjoying it.

"How long have you been in Esterpool, Pri—I mean, Asteria?" I ask.

"Eight years," Asteria says. "I came here when I was seventeen," she says.

I do the math in my head. "So you are twenty-five now?"

She nods. "Are you around the same age, Fe?"

"I am twenty-two," I respond, stroking the brush through her hair again. "A few years younger. You've been here quite some time, then. Do you like it in Esterpool?"

"I have grown to like it, I suppose," Asteria says. "It was not my choice to come here. Although I will not bore you with that old tale. My father's decision is always final, of course. I had to do what I could to enjoy my time here. I had the garden installed, I hired the finest chefs, and found the best maids. It is quiet and natural here, at the very least. I do enjoy the peace." There is bitterness in her voice compared to when we first spoke of Esterpool during our introduction the evening before.

"I only ask because you asked me what Landiani was like yesterday," I say.

"I am sure what you feel for your home country is much more favorable than how I feel for Esterpool," Asteria replies.

I worry suddenly I have offended her. "I do not want you to think I value Landiani more than you! I very much have enjoyed my time here in Magnuvia. It is a wonderful country," I say.

Asteria nods quietly. Her silence could mean anything, but I hope it means she does not entirely agree with my statement. Still, I am already prying more than I intended on my first day, and her hair is almost completely brushed out. I grab one last strand, run the brush through it, and let it fall down her back.

"There you are," I say.

"Thank you, Fe," she says, rising from her seat. It is only standing before her now that I truly realize how many inches she has over me, six or seven at least. "I truly appreciate your company, you know. I find you are easy to talk to," Asteria says, snapping me back into the present.

"You as well," I say, overjoyed to hear that comment. If I am easy to talk to, perhaps it will be even easier to receive information from her.

"The cooks should have your breakfast ready in the dining hall. Do you need someone to escort you?" I ask.

"One of the guards will," Asteria says. "Well then, I look forward to seeing you again tomorrow."

I nod and curtsy, and at the entrance to her chambers, we part. As giddy as I am to know that everything went well and that I even was able to pry a little bit of information from Asteria, I feel almost guilty knowing that I will be sharing what she has said in a letter to my mother when I arrive back to the maids' quarters. I try not to let the guilty sway me. After all, I am sure her kindness is merely a farce, and I should not take her feelings into account. I am purely here to gain her trust and then betray it.

When I arrive back to the maids' quarters later in the morning, only Maria is home, eating her breakfast in the kitchen. She lets out an excited squeal when she sees me.

"Fe! How was it?! I have never dressed the princess alone before. I am surprised you were able to!" Maria exclaims.

"It went well. The princess was nothing but kind and instructive. I think it will be easy for me to get used to my new duty," I say.

"I'm glad. Although I must admit, Fe, Josie was saying horrid things about you this morning. I tried to speak up, but she would not let me," Maria says quietly.

"It's all right, Maria. She made her feelings toward me quite clear yesterday evening. I don't think whatever I say or do will appease her now. If she truly has an issue, she should take it up with the princess," I say.

"Oh, she is far too modest to do that. Either way, I am happy for you, Fe, and I'm sorry Josie is giving you a hard time," Maria says.

"I appreciate it. Um...would you mind continuing to defend me if she says something? As long as it does not harm you, obviously. I truly have been grateful for your friendship. You have been the kindest to me out of the other maids," I say.

"Of course! I am on your side, Fe. In fact, Josie used to bully me when I first started here too. Nowadays I act naïve purely to get her off my back," Maria explains.

I chuckle. "That's clever!"

"Well, I am off to clean up the dining hall after breakfast. I'll see you later today," Maria says.

I nod, thank her once more, and head toward my room. I sit comfortably at the desk and begin composing a letter to my mother.

Dear Elsie,

I am sorry I have not written. It has been quite the adjustment getting situated in Esterpool. However, I come bearing good news – Princess Asteria has assigned me to dress her each morning! I assisted her for the first time today, and it went well. I even had the pleasure of sharing a conversation with her about her experience in Esterpool. I had related to her my own homesickness of leaving Magewell behind, and it is clear she feels similarly. I had not realized it has been eight years since King Ruben sent her here. She remembers the day clearly, since it was not a decision she was happy with. It comforted me to know how lonely she was when she first arrived here too, but she has since had a garden specially created and hand-picked many of her maids to serve her. In fact, our head maid, Alba, has known her since she was a child! I wonder what stories Alba will have to share of a young Princess Asteria growing up. I will have to ask her sometime.

I will write to you more often now that I am becoming more acquainted with Esterpool and the other maids. It is truly amazing that I have the opportunity to interact with Her Highness in such a close proximity. I look forward to sharing more conversations with her in the future.

I hope everything is going well in Magewell. How is Haukea doing? You spoke of her fondly in your past letter, and I would like to know.

All my love,

Fe

Satisfied with the contents of my letter, I seal them away. Hopefully my mother will understand that I am only now reaching a point where I can start gathering information from the princess and will ease some of the pressure for a bit. She should be thrilled that I am now going to be dressing Asteria each morning, leaving me optimal opportunity to learn more about the royal family.

I exit my room and head towards the front door of the maid's quarters, ready to deliver my letter, but I surprisingly find Alba on the front porch. As her eyes laser focus on mine, it is clear that she is coming to see me.

"Good afternoon, Fe," Alba says. "Were you busy?"

"I was going to deliver a letter," I say. "Would you like to speak with me?"

"I suppose we can speak out here. It will not take long," Alba says.

I nod and pause in my footsteps, hoping I will not hate whatever next Alba has to say. She takes a deep breath, one I hope is not a bad sign, and finally speaks. "I am surprised, but you did a satisfactory job of dressing the princess this morning. I even asked about the experience at breakfast, and she was thrilled to have you helping her and noted how much she enjoyed your company," Alba explains. "For now, I will allow you to continue your duties dressing her each morning."

"I am happy to hear that," I say. "I will take the duty seriously."

"I hope you do," Alba says.

I take a step forward, hoping that this marks the end of the conversation, but Alba's voice suddenly becomes more stern.

"And Fe, I hope you treat the princess with respect. Asteria is young and naïve. I know that she is lonely, but you are not to become her friend. I do not know why she has taken a liking to you, but you are her maid first and foremost. Do you understand?"

"Y-Yes," I state. "That is all I imagined us to be."

"Good. Carry on, then," Alba says.

I nod and head toward the mailbox, finding her warning eerie. Is that what caused some of the other maids to leave? Did they become too close to the princess? I cannot imagine what could have compelled Alba to say something such as that in the first place. I suppose that means I must be cautious as I continue extracting information from her.

Shrugging, I carry on and place my letter in the mailbox, curious as to what my mother's reaction will be to my new role.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
23K 1.7K 68
Magic amplifies feelings, feelings amplify magic. Users of magic should be careful that their heads are cool and their hearts are calm when using mag...
209 61 17
Betrothed to the dark prince, Asterin must decide between choosing her duties, or her happiness. She already knows the ways of her family and their p...
92 20 13
Among long rolling hills of green, scattered with wildflowers lived two Kingdoms; that of the humans and that of the lords. The lords lived among all...