I Got a Fleet as a Reincarnat...

Από KageNishi

I, Asahi Okura, died of exhaustion on my way to a trip, and God gave me a privilege to be reincarnated. I lov... Περισσότερα

A Warship Otaku Gets a Fleet in Another World
The Voyage Begins
First Time Meeting Enemies...?
Contact
Princess of the Iron-Plated Ship
Japanese Empire
Audience
Strategy Meeting from Bath Time
The Strike Force Sets Sail!
The Big Ship's Guns and an Incident
Ryusei's Assault, the Giant Cannon's Roar
Return and Service
Factory Construction
Factory Completion and Naval Modernization
1 Year Later
Dialogue
Strategy Meeting
Battle
Unceasing Boom
Wyvern vs Propeller Plane
Attack and Aerial Battle of Sasante
Commencement of Amphibious Combat and (Less Than) Strategic Bombing
Towards an Attack on the Capital
Commencing Attack on the Capital
Smash! Banzai! Hip-Hip-Hooray!

Dispatch of Envoys

202 14 0
Από KageNishi

This will be this month's post.

Finally, the next meeting with Thorenbo Olfastar... I have a bad feeling about this lol.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days after receiving a summons from the Meiji Emperor and the accompanying imperial order, Asahi was sitting on the deck of the Kashii, which was anchored in Kii. The surrounding waters of the Japanese Empire were characterized by calm ocean currents suitable for fishing. However, it seemed that both the Kuroshio and the Oyashio Currents existed in the same way as in the old world, and the areas around them had fast-flowing tides, making them excellent fishing grounds. Because of this, the port city of Kii, the largest in the country, had many ships of various shapes and sizes sailing from various nations.

Watching the merchant ships with colorful and diverse flags was quite enjoyable and entertaining.

However, Asahi had no time to think about such things. He was sitting on the bridge of the Kashii, poring over documents related to the Kingdom of Olfastar. Although Asahi was reading the documents while standing, his posture was quite good.

"The Kingdom of Olfastar, huh... Judging from the data and magical photographs, it seems to resemble China from the Ming Dynasty to the early Qing Dynasty... In terms of national power, it's roughly at the same level as this country a year ago, disregarding the size of its territory... Why would such a country suddenly make strangely excessive demands?"

While trying to gauge Asahi's expression, Taihou, who was sitting across from him, asked a question.

"Perhaps they are seeking to increase their own interests by relying on the might of the major powers?"

While still perusing the documents, Asahi grunted and sipped the tea that Hiyou had brewed for him.

"According to what he heard from His Majesty, there had been about thirty years of peace since the 'World War' that engulfed the world... But within that period, Japan seemed to have forgotten its position as a peace-loving nation outside the civilized world. Honestly, besides the talks about tariff reforms, I can't discern their true intentions..."

"I see..."

Observing Taihou's slightly uneasy expression, Asahi asked, "Are you scared, Taihou?"

When Taihou was addressed, she closed her eyes once and reassessed Asahi's face.

"To say scared... It's more like I'm slightly concerned about not knowing what is the right course of action within a different set of values and relations between countries compared to the previous world. And there's also the unclear situation where just a few words could lead to war."

At first glance, it might seem like a weak statement, but what Taihou said made sense. Asahi had also frequently encountered situations in the novels of isekai stories that he loved, where the protagonist or Japan, after being transported to a different world, struggled with completely different values and often suffered from them. He had a vague feeling that this time might be similar.

"I see. Well, if we can settle it with a decisive short-term battle, it will be a resounding victory for us. But if it turns into a long-term war, especially guerrilla warfare, it would be quite troublesome... In that sense, this envoy mission is convenient."

"Huh? What do you mean by that?"

Taihou didn't understand the meaning and was at a loss, while Asahi kept his sharp gaze fixed on the documents without looking away.

"If we confirm the opponent country's infrastructure and the shortest route to the capital on-site, it will be easier to plan strategies in case of emergency, right?"

Asahi's straightforward words made Taihou look up in surprise. With just those words, she keenly felt that Asahi was prepared for the possibility of war depending on the opponent's response. A cold sweat ran down Taihou's smooth cheeks. Was it fear, or was it awe towards Asahi, who had made up her mind? However, Taihou also made up her mind once again.

"... I understand. Whatever happens, I will follow your command."

"You're overreacting."

Asahi chuckled at Taihou, who was frozen in a tense posture, but his eyes showed no sign of laughter. He was said to have a mild personality in the old world, but Taihou couldn't help but feel terrified at the thought of what would happen if Asahi truly became angry. While thinking about such things, Kashii suddenly appeared on the bridge.

"Commander, it's almost lunchtime."

"Oh, already? Today's menu...?"

"Today, it's Kashii Curry."

"Oh, okay. Taihou, let's go."

As Asahi leisurely left with Kashii, Taihou followed suit. Although the tension hadn't subsided, perhaps due to Asahi's words earlier, Taihou could sense a strong determination in his back... or at least, that's what it seemed like to her.

By the way, Fusou had gone ahead to help prepare the meal.

"Commander, please come this way."

"Oh, my bad."

Originally, the ship had ample space due to its commercial ship structure, but for the few days until they reached Japan, all the shipgirls had gathered in the lead ship Katori's conference room, making it quite cramped. However, this time, with only four people, including Asahi, they could sit comfortably.

On the table were large chicken cutlet curry, steamed vegetables made from locally grown vegetables of the Japanese Empire, and milk. To counterbalance the spiciness of the curry, drinks like milk or lassi went well with it. Asahi, in particular, preferred milk.

Also, vegetables were usually served as a salad, but due to Asahi's preference, they were prepared as steamed vegetable salad. This was also well-received as 'easy to eat.' Although it took some effort to steam the vegetables, the most important thing in cooking, being a form of entertainment, was that it should be delicious.

"Ooh, this looks delicious."

"I focused on moderating the spiciness and emphasizing the umami, according to the commander's preference."

"Well then, let's dig in."

"""Itadakimasu."""

The three of them started eating following Asahi, but he remained silent, despite clearly enjoying the meal. Normally, he would engage in various conversations with everyone, so the change was strongly felt by Fusou, Taihou, and Kashii.

'''H-he's scary!! The Commander's silence is very frightening!!'''

In the end, Asahi didn't say a word throughout the meal.

. . .

The next morning, Asahi woke up to a report from Kashii and saw a vast landmass spread out before him. The land stretched across the horizon, clearly indicating its immense size.

"Ah, is that the port city of the Kingdom of Olfastar?"

"It's the port city of Sasante, I believe."

Indeed, the harbor area was quite large, with numerous ships coming and going. Among them, there were even ships that clearly didn't look like sailing vessels. Judging by their appearance, some of the ships resembled... steam-powered cargo and passenger ships from the Meiji era.

"I see. With the active trade between Japan and the countries to its west, it seems many nations are visiting here."

The sight of a large number of ships coming and going, far surpassing what they had seen offshore, was truly befitting of a port city. Furthermore, there were many ships that appeared to be military vessels bearing the flag of the Kingdom of Olfastar. Among them were wooden ships equipped with a large number of cannons on their sides. By the way, in terms of their shape, they did resemble the old-world Qing Chinese ships.

"The larger ships may look similar to Chinese junks in appearance, but they are essentially warships... almost like ships-of-the-line."

"Ships-of-the-line? What are those?"

"You know, like the HMS Victory of Britain."

"Ah, that one, I see. We generally referred to them as 'galleon warships.'"

Fusou seemed unfamiliar with the term "ship-of-the-line" and, along with Taihou and Kashii, tilted her head until she heard the name HMS Victory. It wouldn't be surprising for those aspiring to join the navy to know about Admiral Nelson's HMS Victory, but Fusou and the others seemed to have some gaps in their knowledge. It's a common occurrence for Japanese people not to recognize something when the name is different.

Leaving that aside...

"Ah, ships-of-the-line were warships that existed from the Age of Discovery to around the end of the Edo period. To put it simply, back then, cannons had low accuracy and a ridiculously short range. So the idea was to load as many cannons as possible, get close, and overwhelm the enemy with their sheer number."

At the time, they were equipped with culverins and carronades which, although they had a short range, were highly powerful. The British fleet, in particular, was known for its devastating impact. However, naturally, these ships had significant flaws.

"The problem with ships-of-the-line is that they are 'carrying an excessive number of cannons...'"

"What do you mean?"

"Carrying many cannons means they also have to carry a large quantity of gunpowder to fire them. What do you think would happen if a modern-level artillery shell were to hit it?"

Upon hearing those words, Kashi gasped and cutely covered her mouth.

"Everything is gone in one hit..."

"Exactly."

"In that case, with just one of our country's naval shells hitting them..."

"It would cause a massive explosion, splitting the ship in two and sinking it. These ships don't seem to have any blast-absorbing steel plates... If they're unlucky, even an 8-centimeter high-angle gun from a second-class transport ship could blow them up with just one shot. It would be a disastrous situation that couldn't be overlooked."

But that was not the only military ship. There was a low, sharp-bowed ship with a figurehead shaped like a dragon. The ship didn't seem to carry any cannons. Moreover, the ship had a roof, and although it was thin, it had iron plates attached to it. At least it seemed capable of withstanding arrows and matchlock guns.

"Is that... a turtle ship!?"

"What are turtle ships?"

As Asahi showed a surprised expression, Fusou asked the question while keeping her eyes on the ship.

"When Japan was in the Warring States period, Hideyoshi Toyotomi launched an invasion of Korea. And you know, the Toyotomi forces lost because their supply lines were cut off in a naval battle. Among the naval forces at that time, there were ships called turtle ships."

It is said that the Toyotomi forces, whose supply lines were cut off by the turtle ship fleet led by Yi Sun-sin, gradually weakened and had to retreat with great difficulty after Hideyoshi's death... or so the story goes, but recently it has been increasingly challenged. In fact, it is even doubtful whether turtle ships actually existed. It is said that the small-scale nature of Japan's transport at the time, as well as various other factors such as insufficient local investigations, contributed to the result.

Regarding the reconstructed turtle ships, there are even stories that they barely floated and couldn't proceed properly, which indicates their state. However, when you see such things floating and sailing normally, Asahi thought that they might have been magically enhanced in some way. From the perspective of Asahi, who loves history, it was a complex feeling of being half delighted to see something that he had only seen in textbooks, and half worried about the trouble it might cause.

"I see. I have a rough idea of their tactics."

"What do you mean, sir?"

"It depends on whether they have aerial capabilities, but if we only consider surface combat, I've pretty much figured out the strategy."

Asahi pointed at the leisurely floating ships-of-the-line.

"While the ships-of-the-line disrupt the enemy fleet with their artillery fire, the turtle ships would swiftly charge in and strike the sides of the ships... preferably below the waterline. Considering that their technological level is around the late Ming Dynasty or early Qing Dynasty, the cannonballs are likely from culverins (muzzle-loading cannons) or carronades, so there's a possibility they won't explode."

"You mean spherical cannon shells?"

With Fusou's words, Asahi replied, "Probably," and took out a camera to start taking pictures.

"Otherwise, the turtle ships wouldn't be able to charge in... right? Maybe even if they had explosive shells, they would stop firing when the turtle ships charge in... In any case, the sheer number is troublesome."

Strictly speaking, pointed projectiles existed even before the introduction of fuses, but if they don't explode, they inevitably have a disadvantage in terms of power. However, if they could create holes below the waterline, it would be a different story.

"A year ago, Japan's cannons were at the level of Franco guns (breech-loading cannons, although the structure of the breech was still immature), with a maximum range of 1 kilometer. And they have a high possibility of not exploding. If Olfastar relies on ramming, at best, they may have long-range culverin guns with a maximum range of 2 kilometers. However, if they have the capabilities of caliver guns, depending on the projectiles, they might explode... But we won't know unless we gain experience in actual combat."

In other words, not only the Okura fleet, including Fusou, but also the newly deployed Matsu-class and Akizuki-class destroyers in Japan could handle dozens of those ships alone. In addition, considering that wooden ships would reach their limits at around 20 knots, assuming they can accelerate with magic, even Fusou and Kashii, who are not particularly fast, would likely win. As for transport ships, since their main engines have been changed, they can all achieve speeds of over 20 knots.

"And then, as I mentioned earlier, there's the issue of aerial capabilities. Any response on the anti-air radars?"

Asking the radar operator, they turned toward Asahi.

"I see ten contacts flying over the airspace of the port city. At least, it appears they are flying in formation, so they are likely to be the aerial forces."

"What direction?"

"2 o'clock, sir."

He leaned out of the bridge and peered through binoculars in that direction.

"That's... a wyvern."

"A wyvern... the flying lizards that we shot down and ate before meeting Elina-sama, is that right?"

After joining the military, Asahi gathered information in Japan and found out that wyverns can reach a maximum speed of 250 km/h. However, there was one terrifying aspect.

"When thinking about how they can continue flying at cruising speeds of around 120 to 150 kilometers per hour, riding on the westward airflow to fly semi-permanently, it's quite unfair."

"I thought the same, sir."

However, in actual military operations, they would need to reach their maximum speed when engaging enemies, and intense combat would quickly deplete their magical energy, causing them to exhaust rapidly. Therefore, only wild wyverns that fly perpetually, migrating south, or travel wyverns used for intercontinental travel can maintain continuous flight.

By the way, the basic tactic employed by flying creatures, including wyverns, is called "hit-and-run." Their attacking methods include a 50-meter range magical flame breath and a fireball called Fire Blast, which converges wind and fire magic. Additionally, in close proximity, they engage in literal melee combat using tail strikes, claws, and fangs. However, these tactics significantly drain the wyvern's stamina, so they are rarely used.

"Well, their speed reaches a maximum of 250 kilometers per hour... It's comparable to the biplanes of the interwar period, maybe slightly slower."

The maximum speed of the British iconic biplane fighter, the Fairy Swordfish, is said to be 220 km/h, so in terms of top speed alone, wyverns are indeed faster.

"Well, the Swordfish was primarily used as a bomber and torpedo bomber during the Second World War and for hunting U-boats. Its purpose was different, you could say."

Legend has it that the Swordfish was so slow that AA guns can't hit it, and that it's so slow that a fighter must stall to engage it in dogfights. However, what concerns Asahi is whether the major powers are enhancing and using wyverns or if they have another type of aerial force. But for now, they have no choice but to focus on the immediate situation.

With various ships of different nationalities and shapes in their peripheral vision, the Kashii, slightly larger than the rest, slowly approached the harbor dock. However, since the dock appeared to be made of fragile wooden materials that could easily be destroyed by Kashii's weight of over several thousand tons, they proceeded with extreme caution. Without tugboats, the judgment of the hydrographers was crucial. They diligently measured the water depth and distance, working hard to establish a berthing arrangement. After entering a berthing position, they managed to successfully dock after approximately one hour.

"The low level of civilization really makes you think a lot... I'm so exhausted..."

Kashii, who had been continuously issuing instructions to ensure that the crew didn't make any mistakes, sat down with an obvious expression of fatigue. As if to say, "Good job," Asahi gently patted Kashii's head, and then prepared to disembark from the ship.

Kashii blushed while pressing her head and said, "P-please don't treat me like a child," but she seemed somewhat happy nonetheless.

"Kashii, I think you'll be able to return within a few days, but if you see any suspicious individuals approaching the ship, feel free to capture them."

Even though she was just a training cruiser, having anti-aircraft guns and radar meant that if the enemy analyzed them and took countermeasures, it could lead to numerous complications. Considering that diplomats were on board the ship, one would assume that normal people wouldn't dare to intervene. However, complacency was not advisable. In this otherworldly realm, Earth's common sense could easily be overturned. It was a way of thinking that Asahi had read in a novel, but his instincts told him that he should always consider the "worst-case scenario."

"Yes, sir, take care."

In the end, Kashii bid farewell gracefully with a light greeting.

As Asahi and the others disembarked from the ship, they made their way to the harbor to find the carriage prepared by the Japanese Embassy in Olfastar.

"Commander, is that the one?"

Fusou pointed to a Western-style carriage with a canopy, and beside the coachman, the Rising Sun flag was raised.

"Oh, there's no doubt. That's it."

When Asahi and the others showed their identification to the coachman, he respectfully bowed.

"We have been waiting for you. Please, everyone, get in. We will now take you to the capital, Incala."

The coachman had an unexpectedly calm and gentle manner of speaking, which actually eased the tension in Asahi and the others.

"Thank you. Nice to meet you..."

"Now, please get in."

As instructed by the coachman, Asahi and the others boarded the carriage. The carriage started moving with a creaking sound, slowly making its way from the port city of Sasante to the capital city of Incala, 50 kilometers away.

. . .

During the journey, nothing noteworthy happened, and Asahi and the others arrived in the capital city of Incala in the afternoon of that day. Perhaps due to the magical devices reducing its weight, the carriage was able to maintain a fairly fast speed of about 15 kilometers per hour, which was fortunate.

"So magical devices can be used like this... If they could be installed on airplanes, could it significantly reduce takeoff distance?"

"If they could make propeller-driven planes even shorter, it would certainly be impressive... But rather than that, it seems like it would be useful for jet fighters that fly during the Commander's era."

"We'll have to study it later."

While discussing such thoughts, they evaluated the defensive capabilities of the walls surrounding the capital.

"At the very least, there are a large number of cannons on top of the walls... and the walls themselves are made of brick... so it's safe to assume they are from around the 1600s in terms of capabilities."

"In that case, with our tanks and self-propelled guns..."

"We could easily break through, including the city gates. However, there's a possibility of being shot by arrows and firearms from the top of the walls, so it would be wise to clear the walls with machine gun strafing from aircraft in advance. We want to eliminate the possibility of the army being attacked by surprise."

With the Type 1 10 cm self-propelled gun and the Type 4 medium tank, it should be more than possible to destroy the city gates from a distance where the enemy can't reach. If anything, the Type 1 10 cm self-propelled gun had armored frontal protection, but its top and rear were open, leaving it defenseless. Therefore, it would be necessary to attack from the maximum possible range, but as long as they were cautious, they shouldn't sustain any significant damage.

"Actually, the Chi-Ha might have been more useful against opponents like this... Should we have built it for infantry support?"

"The Chi-Ha was indeed a tank designed for infantry support. However, the Chi-To tank can fire high-explosive shells properly, so there shouldn't be a problem, right?"

"Ah, you're right."

It is often said that British tanks, especially infantry tanks and cruiser tanks, had a hard time because they could only fire armor-piercing shells and lacked high-explosive shells for infantry support. By the way, the tank that received a good reputation in the UK for being more suitable for infantry support was the familiar M3 Medium Tank from the R****t Team. This was because it was appreciated for being 'less prone to malfunctions than their own tanks,' 'able to fire high-explosive shells,' and 'easy to handle.'

Well, compared to the infantry tanks and cruiser tanks that fell on the British side, the relatively solid (albeit rough) design of American tanks might be easier to use... Is that good enough for the creator of tanks?

Anyway.

"Well, that might be true. It puts a burden on the researchers, but we need them to also develop armored vehicles alongside the new tanks. Aircraft, new types of warships... it's all a lot of responsibility, you know?"

"They're currently researching some quite complex mechanisms. Oh, right... was it hydropneumatic suspension?"

"Yeah, once that's completed... our country's vehicle development will greatly advance. Considering the future, it's essential for defense."

As they discussed such future prospects, they entered the walls of the castle, and amidst the bustling city, they saw a particularly large building at the farthest reaches.

"That's Koulupe Castle, the Royal Palace of Olfastar."

At first glance, its design resembled Chinese castles, and the style of surrounding the city with walls seemed reminiscent of ancient Chinese ones seen in manga like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The carriage stopped in front of an inn close to the castle.

"Please stay at this inn tonight. The audience with King Olfastar is scheduled for tomorrow morning."

"Understood. Thank you for your efforts thus far."

As Asahi handed a tip to the coachman, the coachman leaned closer.

"Sir, please be cautious. King Thorenbo is... quite a piece of work, so it's unlikely to go smoothly."

"I appreciate your warning."

Asahi watched the coachman depart and then entered the inn.

"Commander, this inn is considered top-class among the Kingdom of Olfastar."

"Oh, really? Then I shall enjoy it."

Since the sun was already setting, they decided to have dinner immediately. The table had a Chinese-style appearance, but it lacked a rotating platform. Naturally so, because adding a rotating platform to a Chinese table was something that originated not in China itself but in Japan, with the famous Garden Teahouse in Meguro being its birthplace. Not only ramen, but there are quite a few Chinese-influenced things that developed in Japan.

"It seems to be a course menu... I wonder just how many dishes we'll be served."

"According to the reputation in neighboring countries, the food here is highly delicious. The king himself is quite a gourmet and has a discerning taste."

Japan is the same, but countries with many food enthusiasts naturally develop their cuisine. Italy, France, Russia, and so on.

What about Britain? It's a country of laborers, so... America? What can you expect from such a rough country...?

As a result, every dish was incredibly delicious. The appetizers, soup, meat dishes, and main courses all had rich flavors. It was so good that Asahi even thought, "I should be careful not to accidentally bomb this inn if something happens." Particularly, the ramen-like dish served at the end had a profound taste. When Asahi couldn't help but ask, "What kind of broth is used in this!?" he was told, "It's made with a one-year-old wyvern." He was left speechless.

Apparently, in this world, there are two types of wyverns: those used for combat and those used for livestock, and Olfastar is the largest producer of livestock wyverns in the Third World Continent. It was an unexpected, delicious aspect of a country that they considered a potential enemy.

"...I let my guard down."

"It certainly was delicious."

"The seasoning was exceptional. It didn't overpower the taste of wyvern, yet it enhanced the flavor... That's a part that deserves praise, regardless of the level of civilization."

Asahi, who was both a food enthusiast and someone who cooked himself, made up his mind, that if a war happened here for some reason or another and that if they win, he would definitely bring a chef from here.

But that's beside the point.

. . .

The next day, standing in front of Koulupe Castle, the royal palace of Olfastar, a gatekeeper pointed his spear forward.

"Who goes there!?"

"I am an envoy from the Japanese Empire. I have come to convey a message to His Majesty."

By the way, the time was a surprisingly early 8 o'clock in the morning (according to Asahi and his companions' watches). Since they were told "first thing in the morning," they had indeed woken up early and prepared themselves. However, since the other party did not specify the time, it ended up being quite troublesome.

"W-wait a moment!!"

The guard hurriedly entered the gate and emerged again after about 20 minutes.

"The King will see you. You don't have any weapons, right?"

"No, we do not possess any."

Asahi unbuttoned his military uniform and opened it up. Since they didn't have any knives or similar weapons, the guard seemed to trust them, muttering "I see." Furthermore, Fusou and Taihou also unbuttoned their military uniforms and showed their undershirts. The guard couldn't help but be transfixed by the ample chest armor that expanded without leaving any gaps in their uniforms. Some of them even seemed to be slightly hunched over.

"How do you like it?"

Startled by Asahi's words, which carried a hint of annoyance, the guard cleared his throat in an intentionally forced manner.

"V-very well. You may pass."

As the gate opened with a heavy creaking sound, a splendidly adorned interior stretched out before them.

"Now then. A meeting with the King. I wonder what it will entail."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Kingdom of Olfastar is going to show a little unexpected 'excellency.'

I will post the next chapter on July 29th.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

517K 17.4K 73
Child of the Eldest Gods from the East, Heiress of Earth and Legacy of Stars and Magic, Has the Affinity to Balance the Peace of Nature, Fated Love i...
24.3K 855 13
In this timeline, Rimuru Tempest will arrive to the cardinal world 300 years early... The "FATE" of many people will change and new characters will b...
Re:Cursed Από

Περιπέτεια

39.5K 1.3K 20
Y/N: CAN I GET A REDO PLSS!!!. Dark: Nope. Y/N: WHY?!, It was all good I got my isekai cheat skill and I got to design how I look like in the end all...
15.5K 755 45
Hello Readers! This is my first fan fiction, and English is not my native language, so I hope you point out any Mistakes, be it grammatical or with t...