Vigilante PAW

Af BlazingPAW

What does it mean to be a hero? Marshall, Adventure Bay's goofy, cheerful, and clumsy firefighter Dalmatian... Mere

Chapter One: Water Woes
Chapter Two: Enter Everest
Chapter Three: Sinking Feeling
Chapter Four: Ruff Ruff Day
Chapter Five: Lookout Lockdown
Chapter Six: That Night
Chapter Seven: Guilty 'Till Proven Innocent
Chapter Eight: Marshall vs. Adventure Bay-Part One
Chapter Nine: Marshall vs. Adventure Bay- Part Two
Chapter Ten: Fracture
Chapter Eleven: Moonlight Fight
Chapter Thirteen: Friends
Chapter Fourteen: Liz and Marshall
Chapter Fifteen: Moving Forward
Chapter Sixteen: Remnants
Chapter Seventeen: Promise of Past
Chapter Eighteen: Aftermath
Chapter Nineteen: Fading Time
Chapter Twenty: Broken PAW
Chapter Twenty-One: Dream Team
Chapter Twenty-Two: Glacial Gathering
Chapter Twenty-Three: Butterfly Effect
Chapter Twenty Four: Canine Curiosity
Chapter Twenty-Five: Familial Love
Chapter Twenty-Six: Welcome to the Wild
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Vibrant Valley
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Forest Fury
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rainy Days
Chapter Thirty: Rescue Pups
Chapter Thirty-One: Marshall's Inferno
Chapter Thirty-Two: Reflection
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Mayor's Mistake
Chapter Thirty-Four: Forest Friction
Chapter Thirty-Five: Born to Survive
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Shepherd's Succession
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Vigilante PAW
Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Dalmatian's Decision
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Mourning Morning
Chapter Forty: Back in Blood
Chapter Forty-One: Lost Leaders
Chapter Forty-Two: Perspectives of Past
Chapter Forty-Three: A Mayor's Motive
Chapter Forty-Four: Dual Dalmatians
Chapter Forty-Five: Beacon of Light
Chapter Forty-Six: Story of Trust
Chapter Forty-Seven: Story of Resolve
Chapter Forty-Eight: Story of Unity
Chapter Forty-Nine: Story of Teamwork
Chapter Fifty: Story of Heroes

Chapter Twelve: Digging For Dally

523 13 3
Af BlazingPAW

Rocky's plan had taken longer than he and Everest expected. Four days, to be exact. The sun was rising on the fourth day since Marshall's departure from the lookout. During that time, the two pups set a plan into motion. A plan that once they set into motion, they wouldn't be able to go back on.

Sitting in his pup house, the mixed breed dug through a backpack filled with many different items. Everything looked like they were in place. The mixed breed soon closed the backpack, putting it on and standing up. Hopefully, Everest had remembered their agreement from the previous day.

Rocky opened the door to his pup house. Just as planned, he had woken up at the crack of dawn, minutes before Chase would be getting ready to wake the team up. He silently walked to Marshall's pup house, where he and Everest had been meeting in private to discuss anything relating to their plan.

He could hear Rubble's snoring, Zuma's gentle movements as he tossed and turned inside of his pup house. Sounds he had grown used to hearing over the time he spent with the PAW Patrol. With his friends. But ever since Marshall left, it was never complete.

He would let Marshall splash him with water a hundred times if it meant everything could go back to normal.

Everest, meanwhile, was already up and ready, a backpack of her own on as well. She was nearly bouncing off of the walls of her own pup house, wanting to get going as quickly as possible. The Husky had eagerly waited through the days following the day Marshall ran away from the lookout, letting Rocky do what he needed to do.

The backpack on her back was filled to the brim with things Rocky told her to bring along. She knew that the gray pup had a bag of his own, so she was confused as to why she needed to carry more things. How much did they need just to find Marshall?

She shook her head. Why did that even matter? Her and Rocky were going to finally start looking for Marshall! She missed the Dalmatian's presence being around, and she was eager to see him. The Husky wanted to make sure that he was okay, and the best way to do that was to start looking around.

Opening the door to her pup house, Everest didn't hear anyone else outside. She left the small house, closing the door behind her. Before heading to Marshall's pup house, she turned to look at her vehicle for just a moment.

She gently placed a paw on it, her mind wandering back to when it was given to her. When she first joined the PAW Patrol. It was a strange feeling. She wondered what would've happened had she not been invited to join the team back then? What if she and Jake never found each other? Would she still be wandering around the cold climate saving penguins?

Realizing that she was wasting time, the Husky took her paw off of the vehicle, making her way over to Marshall's pup house.

Sitting inside of it was Rocky, who raised an eyebrow once the door opened. Seeing that it was Everest, he lowered his guard.

"Got your bag?" The mixed breed asked, eliciting a nod from the Husky, "Did you see anyone else on your way here?"

Everest shook her head, "Nope, we're all clear."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Rocky asked, "Once we go up there, there's no going back."

"You know, over the past few days, I realized something..." Everest spoke softly, pulling out a folded up paper from under her collar, "What's the point of still being here if Marshall isn't? He doesn't deserve to go through this alone. Nobody does."

The Husky stared at the folded piece of paper in her paws, unfolding it to reveal Marshall's departure note. She had read over the note many times since their first read of it. It was always a motivator to keep moving. To keep striving to find her friend.

The recycling pup's rested face contorted into a smirk, "Good. You're not backing out of this."

"I don't back out of anything!"

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah, yeah. Let's just get to the top of the lookout before Ryder and the other pups start to wake up."

"Sounds like a plan."

After Everest gently folded Marshall's note and put it under her collar, the two made their way to the lookout. It was very rare that they would be up before the sun was. It was even more rare to be up before Chase was. He always seemed to be up first no matter what.

The Husky shook the thought of Chase out of her mind. She wasn't exactly too fond of the Shepherd after how aggressive he was towards Marshall, and later how aggressive he was toward her. She could understand that Chase believed that Marshall was guilty, but the way he talked to her was uncalled for.

Once the two made it to the elevator, they sighed with relief. They didn't need to encounter Ryder or one of the pups and have to lie their way out of whatever question they would have for the two.

The elevator began to rise slowly, approaching the top floor. They knew that Ryder sometimes woke up before Chase instead of at the same time as him, so they really had to pick up their pace.

"Hope you got a good night's sleep. 'Cause I'm not stopping until we find Marshall."

"Someone's eager..." Rocky remarked, looking at the Husky with a raised eyebrow.

Everest nodded, "Why wouldn't I be? Marshall's my friend! I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him."

The mixed breed's face stiffened for a moment. In the time following Marshall leaving, he had completely forgotten about the former fire pup's crush on Everest. Based on the way Everest was acting and reacting to different statements, he could tell that she cared for Marshall, but there really wasn't any indicator of a crush in his eyes. Maybe there was a chance that she didn't feel anything aside from friendship for him.

Rocky raised an eyebrow at his own thoughts, "A chance? No, we're looking at a very real possibility that she only sees him platonically!"

The doors to the elevator slid open, snapping the mixed breed out of his daze. He walked alongside Everest as they made a beeline for Ryder's room. Just like they had planned, Ryder's room was silent. He was still asleep.

Everest quickly took Marshall's note back out from beneath her collar, placing it down in front of Ryder's door. She then let out an exhale. It was time for the finishing touch. Both pups moved closer to the other, reaching over to the pup beside them.

As the sun began to rise, Rocky and Everest walked out of the lookout and picked up their speed as they went down the grass beside the driveway. Rocky thought about how much lighter his head felt while Everest was thinking about how they could ask around.

"So, where do you think we should start looking for Marshall?"

Rocky looked over at her, "We'll start from the coast, then move further inland over time. That way, we'll cover the most ground."

"Got it!" Her tail wagged excitedly.

With one last glance back at the lookout, Rocky nodded to himself. He turned away from the lookout and faced the sunrise laid out in front of the two pups.

"We're coming for you, Marshall!"

Sand sifting between their digits, the two pups walked across the shore of Adventure Beach. Yes, it was too early for anyone to come to the beach to swim, but it was still early enough to catch the back end of the sunrise, which the citizens of Adventure Bay loved watching.

Especially one human, whose boat was docked nearby so he could watch the sun rise as well. The human sitting on the boat was the owner of the Flounder, Cap'n Turbot.

"This sunrise is such a spectacular sight across the seascape..." He exhaled, breath taken by the view.

"Cap'n Turbot!"

The man took his eyes off of the sunrise, looking down at who called him, "Rocky? Everest?" He walked down to the entrance of the Flounder to greet the two, "What are you two doing out here so early? Where's Ryder?"

"Er... Well..." Everest began to think about what to say.

Rocky, being the faster thinker of the two, answered, "Just on a quick survey of the beach, making sure there's no trash being left on the beach. Everest was already awake so she tagged along."

"Well I'd say you've been doing a great job keeping these beaches tidy!" Turbot smiled, "Oh, and before I forget, thanks for helping me with my sub. I couldn't thank you properly because of that storm that hit. Want to come aboard?"

Everest nodded, "Sure, but we can't stay for long, we have to keep going."

The man led the two pups on board, walking up to the deck and taking a seat, "Isn't this sight just mesmerizing?"

The two, sitting on their haunches, nodded in response as they watched the sunrise beside the man.

"I heard about Marshall's mysterious plight, you two..." Turbot spoke once more, "...I'm not the best when it comes to serious situations, but I did want to ask, does that have to do with why you're out here?"

Everest sighed, "We're looking for him. We don't know where he is..."

"Have you seen him?"

"Well..."

Two Days Ago

Cap'n Turbot was on his way back to the Flounder after picking up some more treats for a Walrus he knew named Wally. He was walking down the sidewalks of Adventure Bay, whistling a slow tune as he rounded a corner.

He suddenly ran into another adult, nearly dropping the treats he had for his friend. In his scramble to remain upright, his glasses fell from his face.

"Whoops, sorry Cap'n Turbot!" A familiar Mayor picked the dropped glasses back up to give them to him.

His sight clearing up, Turbot looked at Mayor Goodway, giving her his usual smile, "It's fine, as long as the glasses aren't broken..." He began tapping at them.

"How have the waters in the bay been since that storm, though?" Goodway asked, curious.

The marine biologist thought for a moment, "Nothing but smooth sailing since!"

"That's great to hear!" The eccentric mayor exclaimed, "Have you been back in town for long?"

"Nope, not really. I'm just popping in for some snacks for Wally, maybe get some more fuel for the Flounder, and then I'll be back out in the bay."

"So you haven't heard the news?"

"News? No, not necessarily..." Turbot looked a little confused, "What news?"

"Well, there has been a thief in Adventure Bay," She explained, "Upon reviewing security footage, Marshall has been labeled as the prime suspect. Many think it is him."

"Marshall?" The marine biologist looked surprised, adjusting his glasses, "How is everyone so sure? He's a nice pup."

"The pup on the security footage was a Dalmatian. There isn't another Dalmatian in Adventure Bay."

"I guess..." Turbot nodded, his thoughts wandering, "Well, I'm off to grab some fuel, I'll keep an eye out for any thief."

"Thanks, Cap'n."

With that, the marine biologist was off once again, heading back towards Adventure Beach to board the Flounder and head back out into the bay. That was until he caught something at the corner of his eye. He turned to his left to see a familiar black and white spotted pup watching over Adventure Bay. His eyes were roving around, searching for something.

"...Marshall...?"

Present Day

"You saw him?" Everest asked, her tail beginning to wag, "That means he's still in Adventure Bay!" She suddenly hugged Rocky, jumping up and down.

"Wait, did that Dalmatian have a black spot over his right eye?"

The Husky's face fell, "Oh, right..."

Turbot shook his head, "I didn't see any black spot over his eye."

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" She grabbed the mixed breed, spinning him around, "Score one for team Marshall!"

"Team Marshall?" The marine biologist asked, a little confused.

The Husky looked up at Turbot, "Yeah! We're going to make sure Marshall is on the PAW Patrol again, no matter what!"

Turbot looked down at the two pups, who were celebrating with the other, glad to know that their friend was still in Adventure Bay. Turbot smiled at the sight, knowing that Marshall still had a beacon of light shining down on him.

After thanking the man, the duo were off once again, heading further into town.

While their conversation with Cap'n Turbot had gone well, most of the following conversations hadn't.

As they went further inland, the hints and clues as to Marshall's whereabouts were few and far between. Most weren't even willing to talk about the former firefighter pup, turning them away after shutting that part of the conversation down.

The two pups even decided to split up, agreeing to meet in front of Porter's Café after ten minutes.

Rocky started on his end by going to ask Mayor Goodway if he had spotted Marshall under the guise of hunting him down and 'bringing him to justice'. She seemed pretty compliant and willing to talk once he lied to her.

Unfortunately, she only had a similar story to Turbot's, in which she spotted Marshall perched on a roof, searching around. Rocky thanked her anyway, wanting to throw up at the thought of actually bringing him to an unjust justice.

It was baffling how most of Adventure Bay was ready to point the finger at Marshall. Yes, the security footage was of a Dalmatian, but to assume that Marshall was the perp just based off of that was something akin to human racism, wasn't it?

Well it would've been, had the Dalmatian on the footage not been clumsy like Marshall was. He was beginning to think that it was a trait that all Dalmatians had. Wait, wasn't assuming that all Dalmatians were clumsy akin to human racism too?

He didn't know. The lines were a little blurred there...

On Everest's end, she was having about the same luck as Rocky was. No real leads, just sightings. What did she expect? It's not like anyone was supposed to know where the Dalmatian was staying, if he was staying anywhere at all.

Her face fell. What if he was just wandering the streets? Hungry, cold, and alone?

Making her way back to Porter's, Everest's eyes were glued to the sidewalk as she walked. She couldn't shake the image of a hungry Marshall wandering the streets, tired and injured. Her pace picked up a bit on her way back to Porter's Café.

Standing in front of the building was Rocky, who looked over at the approaching Husky.

"Any luck?" He asked.

Everest shook her head, "You?"

"I think you know the answer to that..." Rocky leaned himself up against the wall.

"Why don't we ask—"

"Mr. Porter?" Rocky finished for her, "Don't bother, I already asked. He doesn't know anything. At all. He didn't even seem willing to talk about it."

Everest tugged at the fur on her cheeks, "It's been four days, if we don't find Marshall soon, he really will leave Adventure Bay, or worse, stay hidden for a month and actually go to that pound!"

"I know, I know, I need to think..." Rocky put a paw on his chin.

"Rocky...? Everest...?"

The two heard the voice of a young boy from the door leading inside the Café. Turning around, the duo recognized Alex. The energetic boy seemed a lot more tame as he looked at the two, inhaling to speak once more.

"Did Marshall really steal?"

Both of their ears perked up at the question. All around Adventure Bay, it seemed that everyone had just accepted the accusation as fact. Hours and hours of hearing the same thing, citizen after citizen. But Alex broke that record. Like Turbot, he was actually questioning the accusation thrown at Marshall.

"No, he didn't."

Everest looked over at Rocky, who spoke with a resolute grimace on his face.

Everest joined in, "...And we're gonna prove it! We're gonna bring Marshall back."

Alex's lips turned upwards into a gentle smile. The PAW Patrol really hadn't turned on one of their own. At least, from Alex's perspective they hadn't.

"Are you still looking for clues?" The little boy asked, earning a nod from the pups, "Who did you ask?"

"Everyone!" Everest exclaimed, "Turbot, Mayor Goodway, the farmers, Mr. Porter..."

"What about Katie?" The young boy asked.

The Husky shook her head, "Rocky asked Katie."

The mixed breed suddenly squeaked, looking away.

"...Right, Rocky?"

"I didn't want her to find out that I was dirty, and—"

"Are you serious?" Everest asked loudly, "We're trying to find our friend and you're worried about not taking a bath!?"

"I know! I know! But wet!"

"But Marshall!!"

Alex winced a bit at the yelling, waving as the Husky dragged Rocky away.

Katie let out a sigh as the day came to a close. It was finally time to go home. Business had been a bit slow, despite the sheer amount of animals in Adventure Bay. Even wild animals around Adventure Bay would come to the petty parlor, knowing that was the place to go when they needed treatment. It was a little strange, sure, but no mess is too big, no pet is too small. Or too wild.

The little vet reached up to flip the sign from 'open' to 'closed', but let out a surprised gasp when she saw somebody on the other side of the door. Two pups, to be specific.

"Um... What are you guys doing here?" asked the little blonde as she opened the door, "I'm closing for today."

"Phew..." Rocky wiped his forehead, relieved.

Everest glared at her friend for a moment before looking back up at Katie, "Have you seen Marshall? We've been looking for him."

Katie took a step back, "No, I haven't."

Everest let out a groan, sitting on her haunches and putting her face in her paws. Rocky gently rubbed the Husky's back, concerned for her friend.

The stylist looked a bit closer at the two, especially at their necks, her eyebrows raising in intrigue, "What's going on?"

Rocky turned his attention back to Katie, "We've been looking for Marshall all day... We're worried that he's not doing so well. That he isn't safe, or maybe, that he's—"

"Don't!" Reprimanded Everest as she groaned.

"...Yeah, it's been a long day."

Katie observed the two pups sitting in front of them, reassuring each other that they would find the missing pup, even if they had to spend another day or even a night or two looking for him. Her right hand slowly reached to her dress, gripping on the fabric as she realized the pups were genuinely worried for Marshall.

"You don't think he did all of those things?" She asked the pups, who looked back up at her, "That he's Adventure Bay's thief."

Rocky shook his head, "Not for a second."

Everest nodded in agreement to the mixed breed's statement.

"I'm sorry..." Katie suddenly spoke, her hand gripping tighter on her dress.

The Husky sighed, "It's not your fault, Katie. We'll just keep looking."

Katie looked away, "No, it is my fault."

"Huh?" Both pups looked up at her, confused.

The blonde girl crouched down to get to their height, "I lied. I know where Marshall is."

Everest and Rocky's mouths fell open.

"I... I thought you two were like the rest of them... But... I guess I was wrong."

The two suddenly jumped at Katie, hugging the human and licking her face. The force of the two pups jumping into her knocked her on her bottom, leaving her helpless against the attack of affection. She was glad that there were pups that Marshall would be able to talk to and be with during this time.

"After all, the one thing Marshall needs most in this world right now, it's...."

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

110K 1.5K 28
A Re-Write Based on the Fanfiction by Swarm X Love; stress, courage, worry, and many other emotions packed into a being all at once. It can be heaven...
14.5K 161 8
While on his birthday, the Paw Patrol decide to send Marshall away on a cruise with Everest for a vacation. However, things turn for the worst when t...
397K 5.8K 84
The paw Patrol reimagined as humans in high school. Each one facing their own emotional and physical problems not to mention the bullies. By meeting...
7.3K 50 7
This is a side story for Book 1 of my series (A Journey Never to Forget) Marshall's clumsiness has been causing trouble around Adventure Bay. The cit...