Emerge the Dragonborn | The H...

De evenstar_

"To fight evil; you must first understand the dark." From the blood of dragons, a child shall rise, Born of... Mai multe

A.N
The Cast
The Prophecy
Prologue
- An Unexpected Journey -
Chapter 1 - Songs of Spring
Chapter 2 - A Choice
Chapter 3 - Mister Boggins
Chapter 4 - A Burglar
Chapter 5 - Home Is Behind
Chapter 6 - Braids and Bows
Chapter 7 - Troll Supper
Chapter 8 - Warg Chase
Chapter 9 - Rivendell
Chapter 10 - Night Stroll
Chapter 11 - A Life in Imladris
Chapter 13 - The White Council
Chapter 14 - Thunder Battle
Chapter 15 - The Fever
Chapter 16 - The Emergence
Chapter 17 - Down in Goblin Town
Chapter 18 - Daylight
Chapter 19 - Through The Flames
Chapter 20 - The Great Eagles
Chapter 21 - To The Skies
- The Desolation of Smaug -
Chapter 1 - The Journey Goes On
Chapter 2 - Santuary
Chapter 3 - House of Beorn
Chapter 4 - Threshhold of Shadows
Chapter 5 - Dark of Mirkwood
Chapter 6 - Arachnophobia
Chapter 7 - The Wooldand Realm
Chapter 8 - The Young Prince
Chapter 9 - The Feast of Starlight
Chapter 10 - A Fate Inescapable
Chapter 11 - Barrel Riders
Chapter 12 - A Bargeman
Chapter 13 - Laketown
Chapter 14 - Welcome
Chapter 15 - Ruins
Chapter 16 - Erebor
Chapter 17 - A Dragon Hoard
A.N

Chapter 12 - Moon Runes

209 9 2
De evenstar_

Present Day,
Rivendell

    Anaynah slowly opened her eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun on her face.
What odd dreams she had that night, it must have been being in Rivendell. Being around her old home surfaced many memories.

    She sat up in bed, feeling the softness of the blankets and pillows surrounding her. She looked around the room, taking in the beautiful decor and the intricate woodwork of the furniture. She got up from the bed, feeling the cool wooden floor under her feet. As she walked towards the window, she could hear the soft rustling of leaves and the sound of birds chirping outside. She opened the window, feeling the cool breeze on her face, and was greeted by the breathtaking view of the gardens of Rivendell.

    The towering trees provided shade from the sun, and the vibrant colours of the flowers and foliage created a breathtaking landscape. She could see the gentle flow of the nearby stream and the distant mountains on the horizon. She took a deep breath, feeling the cool and refreshing air filling her lungs.

    This would be the second day the company would spend in Rivendell, and Anaynah thought she best find them soon as she did not know how long they planned to stay here.

    Upon wandering the familiar corridors, she soon crossed paths with Elrond as he stepped into the hallway from a balcony.

    "Adar." Anaynah bowed her head and smiled at her father.

    "Anaynah, dear." Elrond returned the gesture, "Man i vethed? [How did you sleep?]"

    "Gwell nîn na ngwannath vi ardhon, mae nîn yn teimlo'n ffrîsch. [Better than I have for many weeks, I feel very refreshed.]"

    It was true, months it had been since she slept on a bed as comfortable as her own in the valley, and her sleep was very satisfying as she was utterly exhausted.

    "A chenithon? Mae dolur arnoch, o gwbl? [And your wound? Are you in any pain, whatsoever?]"

    "Na, adar. Nîn na leithio thîdh echui, hannon le. [No, father. I am in no discomfort at all thank you.]" Anaynah's heart warmed at her father's concern for her. After all this time he still saw her as his own.
"Nîn na chwedhel leithio thîdh echui i naugrim? Mi acho i leithio ammen na sídh echui ó adhorthad na dîn. [I do not suppose you know where the Dwarves might be? I think it best I have not seen them since dinner last night.]"

    "Nîn na vedui leithio i dhûnath orchui. Aníron boe na i Holbytla na chýr thîdh echui. [I know not where the rest of your companions are. However, there is a Hobbit right here that I believe could use some company.]"

    Bilbo?

    "I shall see you later, iel nîn. [my daughter.]"
With that, the Elven Lord walked past Anaynah, leaving her in her own company to tend to the homesick Hobbit.

    As she walked onto the balcony, the saw the little figure standing alone, gazing out to the scene before him.

    "Bilbo?" The halfing turned sprung around to see the smiling face of his companion, "Join me for a stroll why don't you?" Anaynah nudged her head out of the hall.

    With a bright smile on his face, Bilbo happily ran to her side as he led them out of the halls.

    Anaynahs heart warmed at the sight of Bilbo gobsmacked.

    "You seem to know where you are going." Bilbo said breathlessly as he caught causing the ranger the turn and look back at the Hobbit. She chuckled at his inquisitive nature.

    "This is not my first time in Rivendell."

The pair walked through the courtyards, eventually following a path that lead them away from the main building.

    "Where are we going?"

    "The stables. I would like to see if I can find a friend of mine." Anaynah grinned down at the halfing who stared at her in curiosity.

Anaynah's and Bilbo greeted by the warm scent of hay and the soft sound of horses weighing upon stepping through the stable doors. The stables were made of smooth stone and polished wood, with high ceilings and large windows that let in plenty of natural light. The horses kept in individual stalls with clean, fresh straw bedding.

Bilbo waited as Anaynay spoke with one of the stable hands in the Elven tongue. It did not take a moment longer before Anaynah darted down through the stables in a jog. Bilbo quickly followed behind her, wondering what had got her in such a hurry.

    The ranger skidded to a halt at the end of the corridor and leant over the final last stall door.
Bilbo puffed air in and out in attempt to catch his breath with his hands on his knees.
When he finally raised his head, he saw Anaynah had walked through the stall door and had her arms wrapped around a white stallion.

    "Your horse." Bilbo said breathlessly as he realised this was the same steed she had been riding the past few weeks since their departure from Hobbiton.

    "Indeed, I am relieved to find he is okay. I has a feeling he would not wander too far so that the Elves may find him. Elven horses seldom stray far from their riders. He was given to me by a dear friend of mine, however I fear it I may have to leave him behind for the rest of our journey" She spoke with saddness as she ran her hand up and down his nose, "How are you liking Rivendell, Master Baggins?"

    Bilbo let out a breathless laugh as he pictured his time here.

    "It is everything I ever imagined it to be." Anaynah beamed at the Hobbit's answer, she could imagine how wonderous this would all be for him, "Lord Elrond has offered for me to stay here instead of leaving with the company."

    Anaynah's ears perked up.

    "A generous offer, Lord Elrond is a kind leader. Imraldis is a wonderful place to live." She spoke with no emotion, almost disappointed that Elrond suggested this to Bilbo for she did not want him to back out of the quest so easily.

    "You are from here yourself, aren't you."
Anaynah's head snapped towards Bilbo at his words as he gave her a knowing look, "I may have overheard you and Gandalf when we first arrived. This was your home once was it not? Why would you ever want to leave a place like this?" Bilbo asked further, causing Anaynah to sigh heavily. She took a few steps towards the Hobbit so that she was directly in front of him.

    "Just as you left your home, Bilbo. you'll find one day that home is not always a place, but more where your heart is."

______

    The afternoon had slipped away from Anaynah as she wandered around the valley with Bilbo deep in conversation simply of their lives. She learnt of Bilbos life before this adventure. She learnt of his family, his parents were Bungo and Belladonna Took Baggins, and he had three siblings, two younger brothers named Drogo and Dudo, and an older sister named Dora. Bilbo was a curious and adventurous hobbit, and often went on long walks in the countryside. He loved to read books and learn about the world beyond the Shire. When he was a young hobbit, he met Gandalf the wizard, Which is why Gandalf apparently had chosen him for this adventure.

    The pair finally departed in the afternoon when she decided she had best freshen up for the evening.

    Anaynah was nearly knocked over in her tracks along the path back to the main hall as a group of dwarves went sprinting across.

    "Anaynah, there you are!" the dark-haired prince chimed as he halted, the rest of the group simply jogging past.

    "Kili! My, where are you all off to in such a hurry?" the woman asked as she stared wide eyed at her friend who grinned in a most cheeky manner.

    "We are going to bathe before dinner!" Kill announced proudly, "Why don't you join us?"

    Anaynah chuckled at Kilis's sly comment.

    "Thank you for the offer, but I have my own bathing chambers. I shall see you all after for dinner though." Anaynah spoke as she gave him a pat on the arm. Kili simply shrugged.

    "Your loss." with that, he took off in a hurry behind the rest of his companions. Anaynah's rolled her eyes at Kilis's childlike behaviour but couldn't hell the smile that tugged at the corners of her lips at she thought of the encounter.

    Anaynah took a detour, taking a slightly longer route back to the main courtyard. She was loving her time here now that she had confronted her father and wanted to explore her old home grounds.

    In thinking of her father, Anatnah managed to cross paths with him once again, she came to their side to see Lindir beside him, the two sharing a mist horrified expression.

    "Ada! Lindir!" She greeted, however, they simply maintained the same expression.

In her confusion, Anaynah turned her head to the direction that the Elves had been looking.

    Anaynah was not sure what she was expecting, but it certainly was not to see the company as naked as the day they were born, bathing in the fountain in broad daylight. Anaynah's jaw dropped in bafflement and her eyes widened.

    She quickly turned her head away, trying to shake out the image that was now welded permanently into her mind.

    "Well, that is certainly traumatising."

_______

    "Our business is no concern of Elves."

    Anaynah sighed in disbelief at Thorin's stubbornness.
Night had now fallen, and few of them gathered to talk business, the topic being the unreadable map.
Anaynah's stood next to Bilbo, who felt very awkward being a part of this discussion.

    "For goodness sake, Thorin. Show him the map!" the wizard pleaded.

    "It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

    "Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves." Gandalf too was in disbelief, "Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here on the presence of one of the few in Middle Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!" He demanded.

    Everyone looked to Thorin, waiting.

    "It is but our only hope, Thorin," Anaynah spoke softly as she started intensely into his icy eyes, trying to tug at any sentiment she could uncover.

    Reluctantly, he drew the map from out of his coat.

    "Thorin, no!" Balin went to stop his hand, however, Thorin however brushed him aside, stepping up and handing the map to the Elven Lord.

    Elrond slowly unfolded the map, scanning it intently.

    "Erebor." The Elf was puzzled, "What is your interest in this map?"

    Thorin went to speak, however Gandalf beat him to it.

    "It is mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artefact sometimes contains hidden texts. You still read ancient Dwarvish, do you not?"

    Anaynah glanced up to Elrond, now who turned and walked off a few paces, still examining the map. He stood in hue of the moonlight, that shone down a pearly white.
He held the map up higher.

    "Cirth Ithil"."

    "Moon runes?" Gandalf asked in epiphany, "of course; an easy thing to miss."

    "Well in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon the same shape and season as the day they were written."

    "Can you read them?

______

    Elrond had led them to a ledge high up on a cliff side of the Valley. Waterfalls rushed down from every side roaring deafeningly.
The ranger swallowed a lump in her throat as a memory surfaced, a memory from the last time she had been at this cliff.

    "These runes were written on a Midsummers Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago." Elrond spoke as he stepped up towards a large, crystalline podium, placing the map upon it, "it seems you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you Thorin Oakensheild; the same moon shines upon us tonight."

    The clouds part from the bright crescent moon, allowing the white gleam to shine down on the table. Light flows through the map, and to everyone's shock, glowing runes start to take form on the pages.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."
The Elf read the runes as the trailed his finger along the lines, the others listening intently.

    "Durin's Day?" Bilbo questioned.

    "It is the start of the Dwarves New Year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Gandalf explained.

    "This is ill news," Thorin spoke with anxiety "Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

    "We still have time." Balin stepped forward.

    "Time? For what?"

    "To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time. Then and only then, can the door be opened."

    "So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?" Elrond spoke up as he was now enlightened on the dwarves' true objective. Thorin frowned at the Lord, his stare turning sour causing Anaynah to fill with worry.

    "What of it?" He grumbled.

    "There are some who would not deem it wise."
Elrond warned, handing back the map to Thorin who took it gruffly.

    "What do you mean?" Gandalf looked to Elrond.

    "You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle Earth," Elrond turned to leave, but not before calling out to the ranger, "Anaynah, would you join me in my study soon? He continued on out away from the cliffside.

    Thorin turned to look at Anaynah with a most confused look. He had noticed Anaynah had been spending a great deal of time with the Elf Lord since they'd been here. Anaynah smiled nervously.

    "I shall meet you all later."

    With that she quickly scurried down the stairs.

_______

    "You asked to see me, adar?"

    Anaynah knocked upon the door of Elrond study before peaking her head through.

    Elrond's study was a spacious room, with tall bookshelves lining the walls. The shelves were filled with leather-bound tomes, scrolls, and ancient artifacts. A large wooden desk dominated the center of the room, with an ornate chair behind it. The desk was cluttered with maps, letters, and quills. A large fireplace crackled in the corner, casting flickering shadows across the room. The walls were adorned with tapestries depicting scenes from Middle Earth's history, and a large window allowed the moonlight to stream in, illuminating the room with a cool glow. Overall, the room had an air of quiet elegance and scholarly refinement.

    She felt a sense of foreboding as she walked towards the door, wondering what he wanted to talk to her about. When she entered the room, she found Elrond sitting at his desk, poring over a scroll.

    "Anaynah dear," Elrond said, looking up. "Ae, aníron nîn. [Please, come in.]"

    Anaynah sat down in one of the chairs across from Elrond's table.

    "Man le hilithon nin? [What did you want to see me about?]" she asked, though she knew the answer to that already. Her father sighed with a most worrisome expression.

    "Im nîn aur hen. [I believe you know.]" Anaynah's eyes dropped to her hands in her lap, "What is it exactly you plan to do."

    Anaynah took a second as she tried to think of her answer to Elronds question.
In all truth, Anaynah did not know herself. She did not know what she was going to do.
The plan was for Bilbo to retrieve the Arkenstone. But what then? What was she expected to do if Smaug indeed was still there?

    "I will do what I must."

    "It is foolish!" Elrond stood up abruptly, his voice slightly raised.

    "Tis not."

    "You do understand what you are getting yourself into."

    "No adar, you do not understand! Do you forget what I have done?"

    Elrond grimaced at the painful memory.

    "That does not mean anything-"

    "It means everything! That was but a taste of my power. That was the beginning.
It is my destiny." Anaynah stood to meet her father's eyes, "is that not what you told me all those years ago? Is that not the very prophecy that talks of my depravity?!"
Anaynah pointed to the familiar scroll that sat upon his desk, now worn in with age from the countless times it had been read.

    Elrond let out a frustrated breath. Anaynah saw the pain and fear in his eyes. She walked around her table to come face him, gazing deep in his eyes.
This was not the fear of a guardian of Middle Earth, this was the fear of a father.

    "You yourself told me, ada, that I will need to make choices. Choices to lead me away from the corruption of my predecessor. I do not know what it is we shall find in the mountain, nor do I know what is to become of me. But we both know that if I do not do this; if I sit aside whilst I let others fight my battle, then we are halfway to understanding what the prophecy truly means. I do not wish to choose the darkness, however that does not mean that the darkness cannot consume me. For whatever reason, I am chosen to help bring forth the demise of our world.
And for that reason, I must do this.
This is my choice."

    Anaynah now held her father's hands. They had only just reunited the night before and now Elrond faced the terrifying thought of losing her once more.

    "Smaug is not just any dragon. He is a creature of darkness and fire, and he will stop at nothing to destroy anyone who opposes him."

    "Then I suppose I will have to destroy him first."

_______
I wanted Anaynah and Bilbo to have some time together to build a friendship, again I hope you enjoy these slower easy paced chapters. Don't worry, as you all know, the pace will quicken very soon!

PS, keep in mind even though I have mapped this story out, some chapters are ready to go and some I write along the way. I will always go back and change things/add things in if I see fit so bear that in mind.

- I <3

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
426K 18.8K 57
WATTYS SHORTLIST 2018 The heart desires the unreachable. A rare creature born of Middle Earth must undo the damage of her predecessor, who helped for...
76.6K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...
40.5K 1.3K 36
"But, you can't be with two people at the same time. If you really did love the first one, then why would you have fallen for the second?" she added...