Emerge the Dragonborn | The H...

evenstar_ द्वारा

"To fight evil; you must first understand the dark." From the blood of dragons, a child shall rise, Born of... अधिक

A.N
The Cast
The Prophecy
Prologue
- An Unexpected Journey -
Chapter 1 - Songs of Spring
Chapter 2 - A Choice
Chapter 3 - Mister Boggins
Chapter 4 - A Burglar
Chapter 5 - Home Is Behind
Chapter 6 - Braids and Bows
Chapter 7 - Troll Supper
Chapter 9 - Rivendell
Chapter 10 - Night Stroll
Chapter 11 - A Life in Imladris
Chapter 12 - Moon Runes
Chapter 13 - The White Council
Chapter 14 - Thunder Battle
Chapter 15 - The Fever
Chapter 16 - The Emergence
Chapter 17 - Down in Goblin Town
Chapter 18 - Daylight
Chapter 19 - Through The Flames
Chapter 20 - The Great Eagles
Chapter 21 - To The Skies
- The Desolation of Smaug -
Chapter 1 - The Journey Goes On
Chapter 2 - Santuary
Chapter 3 - House of Beorn
Chapter 4 - Threshhold of Shadows
Chapter 5 - Dark of Mirkwood
Chapter 6 - Arachnophobia
Chapter 7 - The Wooldand Realm
Chapter 8 - The Young Prince
Chapter 9 - The Feast of Starlight
Chapter 10 - A Fate Inescapable
Chapter 11 - Barrel Riders
Chapter 12 - A Bargeman
Chapter 13 - Laketown
Chapter 14 - Welcome
Chapter 15 - Ruins
Chapter 16 - Erebor
Chapter 17 - A Dragon Hoard
A.N

Chapter 8 - Warg Chase

231 8 0
evenstar_ द्वारा

A breath of solace it was to be free from the sack. The Ranger felt ever so Closter-phobic. Though many near-death encounters she had come across, this would make for a rather entertaining story.

She tended to the aid of others making sure they all had made out of the sacks and tied down from the spit roast. Once she had made certain everyone was alright, she prodded her way over to the Wizard that proudly observed his work of the rolls, whose arrival was much waited upon.

"Cutting it very close, do you not think Gandalf?" the Ranger taunted, causing a small chuckle to evade Gandalf's lips.

"I believe I arrived exactly when I was supposed to. A Wizard is never late." He replied with warmth in his eyes, "though I know I could have counted on you to have protected them had I not made it back."

He paid her a knowing look which she returned with a curt nod to him. He was right. She would have done anything she had to to keep them alive.
The Ranger sensed another presence behind her, turning to see their leader making his way up to them. Anaynah turned back to face Gandalf,

"I will leave you both to talk."

As she walked away from them both, Thorin eyed her intently. He could not understand what he had witnessed in the combat. Did it even happen? Was it all just simply so fast that she moved before she could have even burnt? Gandalf too noticed this long stare he held, concerned about what he may have been thinking.

Down the hill, Anaynah approached her favourite pair of brothers.

"Anaynah! Are you hurt?" Fili rushed to her side, "I saw the Troll toss you into the flames!" her breath caught in her throat. Fili scanned her face, arms and her whole being for any sign of harm.

"Fili, my darling, I am alright. I am more worried about you being roasted alive! Were you burned at all?" her hand brushed his cheek to inspect for any sore red burns.

"I am fine." Fili smiled gently as he grasped her hand upon his cheek and lowered it gently. With a squeeze, he let go of her clasp as he turned to tend to the rest of his kin.

Anaynah looked a few ways past the Dwarves to spot their burglar gazing up in awe at the Trolls. She smirked and made her way over.

"Bilbo?"

The Hobbit, startled, whipped his head to see his fellow companion approach him.

"Bewildering isn't it?" she began as she knocked upon the knee of the Troll that had hoisted her up. Bilbo smiled softly.

"Yes, uh, make for a good story over an ale I suppose."

The Ranger beamed at the halfling, only then remembering the threats she had been serving him all night.

"I suppose I must apologize. You know, in saying I was planning to skin you myself."
Bilbo gulped, though he knew Anaynah would never touch a hair upon his head, the thought of her attempting so was mortifying, "you could say I have a... hot temper." she laughed awkwardly as she ruffled his hair.

The pair were pulled out of their exchange when a commotion of a Troll hoard filled the air. And so they both followed along.

Not long after did the Company find the cave. The stench was enough to deter any sane being away. However, not many of the Company were wholly sane. The buzzing of flies was constant and the floor was littered with bones from previous meals.

"What's that stench!" Bofur retched at the smell, still all slowly making their way in.

"It's a Troll hoard, be careful what you touch!" Gandalf warned. The majority of the Company had now made their way into the cave and got to work trolling around the stash. 

Coins, gems and jewels were scattered across the floor, drawing in the Dwarves.

"Seems a shame to leave it lying around. Anyone could take it." Bofur suggested as he gazed at the coins at his feet.

"Agreed." redheaded Gloin approved, "Nori, get a shovel." They began to dig away, concealing their long-term deposit.

The Dwarves were not the only ones drawn to the gold.

Gold.

Anaynahs eyes flickered from coin to coin. Gem to gem. Enchanted by the sight.
She could not help but sense her mind,
her soul,
slowly slipping away.
She could hear naught but the whispers of the gold. Beckoning for her to reach nigher. The gold glinted in her eyes like that of a predator.
A beast.
The Beast.
The urge she did not comprehend. Nothing else was there. Just the thirst.
The corruption.
The twisted lust dripped like honey.
She was suffocating, drowning in sick passion, an appetite that could never be indulged, an arousal she could not justify, and a slavery it coerced her into.

A firm hand grabbed a hold of her shoulder, hauling her soul back into her body as she found her breath again. Gandalf moved to her side.

"I think it best you wait outside, my dear,"  he ordered, her breath still not fully stable. Quickly nodding, she made haste, stepping out of the foul lair. The fresh air was sweet, something often taken for granted.

Anaynah slouched against a tree not far from the cave, arms crossed and a frown upon her face. She was infuriated with herself. How could she let that happen? Was she truly that weak? Her heart was surely not that faint. She worried, if a small hoard of gold was enough to play tricks upon her mind, what would become of her when...

Pulled out of her thoughts, her eyes darted up to see the Company, one by one protruding from the cave, each pleased with their share of the plunder. Anaynah pushed herself up off the tree and made her way over to them apologizing for leaving as the stench was too foul for her. 

"Somethings coming!" Heads snapped to Thorin as he yelled. The Company rushed out, coming together in defence. Anaynah pushed Bilbo behind her as she stood ahead in the groups, barely noticing the blade that Bilbo now held in fear.

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!"
Through the rustling of the trees, the first thing Anaynah saw burst through was... Rabbits?

"Radagast!" Gandalf exclaimed in delight, "It's Radagast the Brown." Anaynah relaxed. So this was the fifth of the great Israti. Her head tilted to the side as she inspected his unusual appearance.
"What on earth are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you Gandalf." The brown Wizard replied in a hushed but overwrought tone, "somethings wrong, something's terribly wrong."

"Yes?"

They all paid attention, eager to hear the dreadful news.
He opened his mouth to speak, however, naught came out. Again he tried. But nothing.

"Just give me a minute." Fili and Anaynah shared a raised brow,
"Oh! I had a thought and now I've lost it, it was right there on the tip of my tongue!" he was frantic and disappointed... Until he wasn't. He continued to speak, this time sounding like his mouth was full.
"Oh, it's not a thought at all. It's a silly old..." He stuck his tongue out for Gandalf to gently grab a bug and place it in his hand, "... Stick insect."

Anaynah was befuddled at the sight, Radagast was certainly not what she had expected. Radagast finally looked around his surroundings to see he was surrounded by people similar to his size.

"Oh, you've brought Company!"
He exclaimed as he continued his eyes grouping the group. Once they got to Anaynah however, they stopped in their tracks. Almost a look of realisation struck him, he could feel the magic radiating from her, seeping from the cracks of her skin. The Ranger tensed at the uncomfortable stare.
"Gandalf, is that-"

"Uh, um, Radagast, my friend why don't we have a little chat." Gandalf interrupted, causing Radagast to break away from his stare and follow Gandalf down his sleigh.

"What was that all about?" Bofur inquired as he looked up at Anaynah from beside her. She was flustered in trying to think of an answer.

"He's a Wizard, who knows?" She answered with a nervous chuckle before turning around and trudging her way into the trees.

"And where do you think you're off to?" Thorin spoke with irritation as attention was brought back to the Ranger. She scoffed in annoyance before taking a breath, facing Thorin.

"I'm going to scout ahead. That is my job description, is it not?" she answered in mockery before continuing forward. She was annoyed. She had not had the chance to fully calm down from the cave earlier and needed to do so fast. So she put her years and years worth of skills to use.

The Ranger trailed along the clearing. The scanned through the treeline, staying hidden as well as she could. Upon finding a large stone, she crouched down to her knees. It was an adequate place to observe, and she did just so, no sound apart from the gentle hum of the wind.

As her eyes moved across the landscape, they eventually fell to the base of the boulder. There grew a most peculiar plant. With the look of lavender, but a smell most different. Anaynahs brows came together in puzzlement.
Could it be?

With a hesitant hand, she reached out slowly towards the flower. As soon her fingers came in contact with the plant, they were just as quickly removed. The palms of her hands sizzled as if her hand dipped in acid or melted lava, the pain just as so. She jerked her hand back, hissing through her gritted teeth as she watched her burn fade within a few slow seconds.

Necrothon, in the Common Tongue known as Ashroot.

A long time had been since she came across this species. And it worried her to think where else it could be lurking.

______

Back where the Dwarves had gathered, the two Wizards were off having a very grave and confidential discussion.

Radagast moved his coat to pull out a narrow, cloth leather-wrapped package and handed it to Gandalf. He began to unite it. When he gazed upon the blade within its bindings, the crest of the fire-spitting serpent was forged into the hilt. Gandalf looked up to Radagast concerned.

"That is not from the world of the living."
Radagast spoke grimly, "The marking, the serpent, you know of who it is from."

"He has not shown his face in an age. It has been long since anything but rumour has been heard of him." Gandalf replied in doubt, he knew what his colleague was implying.

"Gandalf, he never ceased serving his master. And now that you have found his successor, he has shown his hand once more."

The Grey Wizard huffed in annoyance, not understanding what could be happening and what this all meant.

A familiar howl sounded in the distance. Everyone now was on high alert, perking up in alarm.

"Was that a wolf? Are there wolves out there?" Bilbo questioned in worry.

"Wolves? No, that is not a wolf." Bofur concluded stepping forward.

Unknownst to them, from a nearby ledge above them, a Warg rose. With a ravenous growl, it leapt forward into the midst of the Company, aiming straight for Dori. However, it never made it. A war cry sounded, the Ranger arose and fearlessly leapt off the ledge, falling straight atop the animal. She wedged her sword deep within its skull, the awful sound caused the others to shudder.
Before they could comprehend, another Warg began to charge at them from the other side. Without hesitation, Kili shot it straight through the head causing it to topple over. Thorin and Dwalin finished it off with their swords and axes.

"Warg scouts!" Thorin grunted as he freed his new Elven blade from the Warg's neck, "Which means an Orc pack is not far behind."

"Orc pack?" Bilbo was mortified. Fili and Kili had told him the horrors of Orcs, but a whole pack of them?
Everyone approached the scene, including Anaynah, with fresh blood now dripping from her blade.

"Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?" Gandalf questioned Thorin urgently.

"No one."

"Who did you tell?!" Gandalf demanded once more.

"No one, I swear!" Thorin repeated, causing Gandalf to step down, "What in Durins name is going on?"

"You are being hunted."
The Ranger tensed, taking a step forward to grasp the Hobbit's shoulder, who leaned into her console. She could only imagine how terrified he must have been.
First Trolls, then Wargs, now Orcs.

"We have to get out of here," Dwalin suggested with urgency.

"We can't! We have no ponies! They bolted!" Young Ori exclaimed as he came down the hill from where the ponies had been with Bifur following.
Anaynah frowned as she realised Haldor too must have been scared off, her heart broke as he was a precious gift from Jahan. She could only hope he had not gone too far.

"I'll draw them off." Eyes turned to Radagast in disbelief at his confident suggestion.

"These are Gundabad Wargs. They will outrun you!" Gandalf said to his colleagues in doubt.

"These are Rhosgobel rabbits! I'd like to see them try."

And so the Company prepared to move off. Anaynah sheathed her sword and tightened her boots for the run, but not before the timid hand of the Brown Wizard stopped her.

"I do apologize I have not had a chance to speak with you, child." Radagast apologised as she bent slightly to his level.

"There is no need, I am honoured to finally meet you. I have heard much about your greatness." she boasted causing him to blush.

"Well, as have I..." her smile faded, "A heavy burden it is you carry, and not much anyone can do to be of assistance." he continued in a hushed voice. Anaynah could see the kind and pure soul he possessed.
"If I can offer you anything, let it be this; to be in tune with the beasts of the world, you must be in tune with yourself."

Anaynah was slightly taken aback by his advice, what did that mean? The beast? What did he know?

"Thank you." Anaynah forced up a smile, "I do hope we may meet again one day."

______

Radagast was not wrong. He would not be outrun. As he drew the Orc pack out, laughing atop his lungs, the Company hid behind a large rock. The Ranger stiffened as the pack ran right across the pt we side of them.

"Come along!" Gandalf instructed once he saw the Wargs had run far enough past them. And so they began to sprint across the open plains, taking by the large rocks when they could, their weapons drawn and ready to use of need be.

Suddenly, Thorin, leading the coming, stopped in his tracks.  Anaynah skidded to a halt as she stood frozen. Not that far in from of them, Radagast had lead the Orcs to run right across them, too close for comfort. Gandalf looked back at the Company and locked eyes with their female, who shook her head in fear, letting him know that she thought this was a terrible idea and that they were in grave danger.

"Stay together." The Wizard instructed once again as he turned around to double back into the barren fields.

Anaynah had not liked this plan to start with. First, she did not like the fact Radagast was on danger, being chased by Orcs. Second, Dwarves were not the best at running for long periods of time from her experience. And running around aimlessly through a field she thought was not the smartest solution.

The Company came to a halt once more at the base of another large boulder. Ori however kept running, nearly being seen before Thorin quickly grabbed him and yanked him back to safety. She crouched again to hide, waiting for the danger to pass. Gandalf began to send them off again one by one hastily.

They did not run for much longer before they found themselves hiding behind another boulder. This time, however, their scent had been picked up.

Silent.
They made no sound. Only thing to be heard was the sick growling from the war that stood above them.
Anaynah could almost hear the sound of her heart thumping in her chest, from anxiety and exhaustion. They could not however remain here, but they also could not run, for the scout would surely see them and alert the rest of the pack.
Thorin turned slowly to Anaynah and Kili signalling his head towards their bows as they were the archers of the troop.

A deep and silent inhale she took as she reached for her arrow and readied her bow. With a quick nod to Kili, the two sprung out from their hiding spot releasing their shots.

While Kili hit the Warg in the neck, it did not kill it straight away.

Anaynahs arrow fell in it's riders gut, however he still managed to pull out his horn. Immediately she fired another, knocking it straight out of his hand. The Warg and it's rider both toppled over, crying shrieks of alarm that would not go unnoticed. She cursed at herself for not aiming for the head.

Dwalin and Bifur silenced them both with their weapons but it was too late.
Howls from the Wargs were now getting closer and closer. Anaynahs stomach sunk in dread as she clutched her bow tight.

They were now right on their trail.

"Move! Run!" Gandalf screamed, and they did exactly that.
As fast as their legs could take them they ran, ran for their lives.

It did not take long for Wargs to catch up to them, no matter where they turned to, they got cut off, and before long they were surrounded.

"Theres more coming!" Kill yelled out to inform Thorin as the Company came in closer together.

"Anaynah! Kili! Shoot them!" Thorin ordered, both of them immediately shooting arrow after arrow, embedding them deep into whatever target they could find.
What they did not know is another Orc in the distance had the same idea with a bow in his hands.

"We're surrounded!" Fili yelled in dismay rushing in closer.
Anaynah was exhausted, arms, legs and back all ached from the strain of the chase. And now she was running low on arrows.

"Wheres Gandalf?"

Anaynah had not realised that she had not seen Gandalf for a few seconds as she had been focused upon the Wargs and their riders.

"He's abandoned us!"

"No!" Anaynah yelled at Dwalin in defence of Gandalf, "He would do no such thing!" However it did not matter, they were now fully cornered.

"Hold your ground!" Thorin demanded, the Orcs now closing in on them, the Company standing strong with their weapons drawn.

"This way you fools!"
Anaynah merely spared a glance towards Gandalf before she turned back to continue to shoot at the Orcs. Her only goal was to keep the Company safe, no one was dying on her watch today.

"Kili!" Thorin called out to his kin who began to run back towards him, "Anaynah! Hurry!"

Anaynah too snapped around to see the Dwarves had all jumped into a rocky entrance, into safety. It was only then when she too sprinted back towards Thorin where Kili was waiting for her.

She was almost there, so near to safety.

However, an arrow sent her crumbling to the ground.

______
Ooooo our first cliffhanger!
Why do you think Anaynah was being aimmed at,
Is there another reason she is being hunted?

- I <3

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

7.2K 225 28
Urzoth, daughter of Azog the Defiler has been trained all her life to do one thing: befriend the dwarves. Ever since her father lost his arm in the b...
32.1K 1.3K 20
Aeolin of Lothlorien has been traveling across Middle Earth for a little over a hundred years. After a loss struck her heart, Lothlorien was more of...
mithril elle द्वारा

फैनफिक्शन

28.6K 843 37
Warrior. Shadow. Ruthless. The freest of hearts and sharpest of tongues. A survivor in her own right. A human girl, born of the ancient blood of Núm...
76.6K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...