My magic is for you, Alpha

By kotthewriter

"He remained silent as he gazed upon her. He awaited her to initiate the conversation. If he was taken aback... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 18

12 0 0
By kotthewriter

"I'll take care of the prisoner and deal with him according to our Northern customs," Caelan stood in Alpha Dean's office, facing the other Alphas. Most of them were seated, still recovering from their night of paralysis.

"And what about his pack?" Alpha Josh was irritated; he wanted Alpha Erik beheaded immediately, but this Northerner was doing everything his way.

"The pack will be absorbed. Those who choose to remain loyal to Erik will be dealt with... the Northern way," Caelan replied. Alpha Dean stood beside him, feeling the strength of his Northern ally.

"Alpha Erik violated the Peace," Alpha Dean added, "and my pack was the one most affected. I stand with Alpha Caelan here. We don't need more turbulence, nor do we need more conflict."

"This is because your sister refused to spread her legs in front of this fucking bastard," cried out Alpha Josh in contempt. His right arm and part of his face were still paralyzed.

"Watch your tongue," Caelan said menacingly, ready to strike. He was tired and hadn't slept, haunted by visions of Erik and his betrayal of the mentor.

"I agree with Alpha Caelan on this one, Josh. Be respectful, especially when talking about my sister. She is not to blame," Dean interjected. A murmur began to spread among the Alphas.

"I think I owe you an explanation for why Erik made such a move," continued Dean, owning the crowd. Arne stood, proudly looking at his son; he had taught him well. "Perhaps Alpha Caelan could help me supply more details, as some of my information is based on conjecture. But," he silenced the Alphas who tried to object, "here's the story."

After Dean finished talking about how he had refused an alliance against the South, which must have triggered Erik to make a move, chaos ensued. The only person who was relieved to hear that was Trish, standing silently in the corner, listening intently. One of the Alphas cried out:

"And did this Northern bastard know this as well?"

"Why should we think Alpha Caelan didn't plan all of this with Erik all along?"

Dean and Caelan stood silently for a couple of minutes.

"Alpha Caelan and his warriors fought bravely by my side," Dean began. "While all of you were lying paralyzed in your beds, as if willingly."

"But Alpha Dean, it does sound suspicious," Alpha Bjorn, who had been very quiet until then, replied. "The only pack available to you was the Great North pack, wasn't it? While all of us were taken by surprise, Alpha Caelan must have known something to prevent his warriors from being paralyzed. Perhaps it was a double game against Alpha Erik, perhaps it was a coincidence. I'd say it's worth investigating."

"There's nothing to investigate," replied Caelan. "My warriors were celebrating at the nearest guesthouse before the planned morning departure. My Beta tried to escape but was also paralyzed. I managed to escape because I didn't sleep... I had insomnia."

"Maybe," continued Alpha Bjorn, "but maybe not."

"Alpha Caelan was with me," Trish said firmly from her corner. She looked like she had seen a ghost. She must not have slept at all.

"Is that true?" Alpha Bjorn smiled, looking back at Caelan and Dean.

"We were together when we heard the noise," Trish continued. "We managed to escape the room and got separated. Alpha Caelan shifted, while I ran to the west wing for the gun. I can't shift, you know that, but I can still protect myself."

Alpha Bjorn remained silent, and Trish sensed that he was still suspicious. She couldn't understand why she had protected Caelan, but she had acted on impulse. He had saved her life on the battlefield, and she wanted to reciprocate. Besides, she couldn't believe that he was capable of betrayal, not after what he had done for her.

"Are we all in agreement?" asked Alpha Dean, and the Alphas muttered their assent. Alpha Bjorn assumed the leadership once more.

"I don't think we have a choice," he began. "If the North is planning to attack the South, there must be growing anti-South sentiments. We are in no shape to wage a war with the Northerners. If they find out that we killed their leader, they would definitely attack us. The one who passes judgement should be a Northerner. While Alpha Caelan stabilizes the North, we need to preserve peace here, improve our trading and cultural connections, and unite us. Alpha Caelan, I would be happy to assist you with anything that I am able to do."

And so it was settled. Alpha Caelan would have to do something that his father could not do: unite the North. He would ultimately have the largest pack of the best warriors, but it would also be the hardest to control. Too much pride was in the Northerners' hearts, and too much distance was between the different North cities. It would take years to make his "kingdom" truly one. Alpha Caelan didn't want this, but he accepted it as something that he would have to deal with. He was determined to succeed.

***

Trish was making a pyramid out of stones and burning herbs in the back yard when Caelan approached her.

"I am helping the fallen warriors to find their path to peace," she said as if anticipating his question.

"Whatever makes you at peace, but I don't think they care," Caelan replied.

Trish was conflicted about this man. She had this strange feeling that he was playing the role of this broody Northerner, when in reality, he was ready to open up to her. She was afraid that it was just her imagination. She didn't want to entangle herself with someone who didn't understand her love for art and her beliefs.

"Why did you say that we were together last night?" he suddenly asked.

"You have a problem with that?" Trish smiled.

"That was very unthoughtful, that's true. For your reputation and for my principles. But it helped to shut these Alphas up, and I'm grateful to you."

"Look," Trish looked at Caelan, overwhelmed with emotion, "I know that you were not part of Erik's plan. You saved my life out there. I told them that we were together to protect you, but you need to tell me... You need to tell me that it's true and that you didn't know anything about it. Alpha Erik killed so many of my pack. He killed Shaun, Dean's Beta!"

Caelan paused to catch his breath. Trish looked stunning in her moment of vulnerability, but she was also waiting for his response.

"I didn't," Caelan replied, exhaling sharply. He knew he was lying, but there were too many nuances, and Trish was too distraught to explain it to her. He wasn't proud of himself, but he lied anyway.

"Good, but then why didn't you sleep?" Trish asked.

"You heard me, I had insomnia. After what you did the other night, I was afraid to fall asleep."

Trish began to walk around the stone pyramids, and Caelan followed. "It's funny that even after I showed you what I can do, you still deny these rituals as nonsensical. You said that people in the North can believe whatever they want, but do they practice their sacred rituals?"

"No, practicing is forbidden. You can believe whatever you want, but you must do it silently, behind the walls of your home."

"I guess the North wouldn't suit me well," Trish smiled sadly, her hopes for something more quickly evaporating.

"The problem with religion is that most people don't understand what you're doing. Not understanding quickly leads to misunderstanding and fear. Both of these things make people do stupid things. As the leader of a large pack that is about to become even larger, I cannot allow these shallow freedoms to risk the most important thing."

"And what's that?" Trish asked.

"Stability."

They stopped and looked at each other. They were no more than one foot away, yet it seemed they were standing far apart. Caelan was about to bridge the gap when they heard Luna Alexandra calling for Trish. It was time to bury the warriors.

***

They lit a large fire. Trish stood on a small hill, dressed entirely in black, chanting with other women. It was a ritual of farewell to the fallen warriors. From the hill, she could see the packhouse, the entrance with what used to be a lawn now reduced to just pieces of dirt. People bid farewell to their friends, husbands, wives, and even children. Some stood frozen, while others sobbed quietly. Astrid was pale, looking out to the horizon, lost in her thoughts. She stood in front of Shaun's grave and stared at it. She ignored everyone who went to say goodbye to Shaun, not even Lars and Lianna, Shaun's mother, who was drowning in tears. Her soul had left her body, searching for Shaun's, but it couldn't find him. She was alone.

"Astrid," Trish approached her, wanting to put a hand on Astrid's shoulder but deciding against it, "I'm so sorry."

Astrid didn't reply.

When everyone returned to the packhouse, Trish cautiously approached Caelan, who stood near the kitchen door leading to the front yard, the same door she used before shooting Erik.

"You're leaving tomorrow?" she asked. It was awkward being near him today; she felt so much more but couldn't express it.

"Yes, in the morning."

"What will you do with... him?" she decided not to say Erik's name.

"He will face judgment by the Alpha and the Northern Council, most likely beheading."

"I see," Trish didn't know what to say but continued to stand near him.

"Don't think about it too much. How are you feeling?"

"I feel weird, sad, and helpless. I've never seen werewolves die in battle before. My heart broke each time one of my pack fell on the grass," Trish said.

"Death is inevitable. They had a glorious death. They died for their pack," Caelan replied.

"Is that what you tell yourself about the death of those you loved?" Trish asked.

"No."

Caelan fell silent for a moment, lost in thought and remembering something. Trish thought the conversation was over, but then he spoke up again.

"No, my loved ones never died gloriously. Come, let me tell you a story."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 71.6K 70
"You're angry, frustrated. You want some form of release. I can help you with what you want." I drop my hand to trace the edge of his wrist sensually...
146K 7.7K 41
• Completed • • Highest Ranking #2 Paranormal October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #4 Romance October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #1 Matebond April 2021...
3.2M 23K 5
Excerpt only: I quickly run in their direction as my claws elongate into fierce points. I watch as a man in all black strikes down and kills one of...
34.9K 1.1K 29
He stared at the bodies on the ground , at the girl covered in blood . "you're late " she said standing up . her eyes narrowed at him and before she...