Angel

By theEveofChaos

Young and in love - a reckless combination. When Mattie discovers she's pregnant at the tender age of 15, her... More

Warning
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Epilogue

Chapter 6:

4.3K 184 19
By theEveofChaos

Corey

Shit. We were not prepared for this case. Marc had been doing groundwork for almost two months, and we still had nothing tangible. We had done our best to sever all ties with the Academy when we left Charleston, but it kept finding us. This particular case involved a land merger that was simply a front for a trafficking ring. Our clients were blind idiots that had been swayed by the money and didn't ask questions. If they went ahead with the merger, it would make them accessories and possibly damage our firm as well, but at the same time, I couldn't refuse because we were under contract.

I surveyed the room, noticing Raven and Mattie. He was quite taken with her already, and Brandon, well, fuck, I think Brandon would drag her into the house and never let her leave if he thought he could.

"Mr. Henshaw, thank you for meeting with us today. We hope to resolve the details quickly," Mr. Ramoz said, shaking my hand.

"Yes, I'm sure we can reach some sort of middle ground, gentlemen," I gave him a fake smile and we began. Four hours later we agreed to take a break for lunch. They had been bending over backward to find a way to get the merger to go through, and I was running out of ideas to block it.

Mr. Ramoz and his associate had paused in the hall and were whispering when I noticed Mattie standing nearby listening to their conversation. I frowned to myself, that wasn't really ethical. I'd have to speak with her about it. I waited until they had left and took her elbow. She looked terrified when I closed the door. I started to say something, but she blurted out, "Why the fuck are you working with the cartel?"

I was speechless. How the hell did this little girl know they were involved in the cartel? "I think you need to explain very quickly, Ms. Theriot. Why do you think they are with the cartel?"

"Gente estúpida de mierda, siempre subestimando a la chica rubia," she muttered.

"Holy fuck, you speak Spanish. Just how many goddamn languages do you speak, woman?" I gaped.

She rolled her eyes, "Enough to pay attention, Mr. Henshaw." Ouch, that stung, but I guess I deserved it. "As for how I know, let's just say I was raised in San Jose and not in the nice part of town. Those two lawyers were talking about the Palmas, they've been running cartel drugs for ages, not to mention they also market in human and weapons trafficking. So again, why is this firm working with them? Because if these are the types of clients you host, I think I'll need to tender my resignation effectively like ten minutes ago."

Wow, just wow. I get it now. She's amazing.

"Mr. Henshaw?" she said.

"Sorry, um, please sit," I motioned to the chair and sat across from her. "Okay, what I'm saying has to stay in this room. Only I and my family know the details, not anyone in the firm beyond that." She nodded cautiously like she was still trying to decide if she could trust me or not. "You're right, Mattie, those lawyers represent the cartel and the Palmas gangs off the West coast. I'm trying to figure out a way to tank the deal, but so far, our PI is coming up blank. He has about the same info you do and not much else. We can't seem to catch them in the act of anything that would give cause to quash the merger. Our poor client is just a money-hungry idiot who has no clue about the criminal connection. I can't exactly tell him either without putting a target on my head as well as the firm." I groaned, letting my head fall into my hands.

I felt her hand on my arm and looked up at those jade-green eyes. "You'll figure it out, sir. Just keep stalling until you find a way to tank the deal or get out of your contract with the greedy idiot," she smiled.

My eyes lit up and I grabbed her face and kissed her cheek, "Mattie, you're a fucking genius!" She sat unmoving, eyes wide, and mouth open at my actions. Oh, the things I want to do to that pretty mouth. I put my finger under her chin and closed her mouth, "Careful, little one, if you keep those lips parted I'll be tempted to put something in between them," I whispered and grinned. She turned bright red and leaned back just a bit. "Now dear, I think I need to get you an office and some overtime."

"Excuse me?" she sputtered.

I laughed, "Not for that. For what you suggested. Mattie, you're talented. Far better at contracts than all of my other paralegals and even most of my attorneys. I need you to look over the deals and our initial contract."

"Me," she gaped, "but...but I'm not an attorney, sir." Damn, there's that word again. I swear one of these days I'm going to make her scream it as I fuck her senseless.

I sighed, "I know you aren't, but you have the skills of one. In less than three minutes you tore apart the Franklin contract with not a single resource. That's beyond talented, Mattie, that's fucking amazing! I need your beautiful brain to help me get our firm out of this clusterfuck, please?"

She nodded hesitantly, "I...I can try sir, but I don't know about the overtime. I have to help my MawMaw. Her health isn't good, sir."

"I understand completely. Family comes first. Matter of fact, let my brothers and I take care of getting you back and forth to work for a while. That way you can save some money and we know you're safe." Come on, please say yes I begged in my mind.

"Sir, I, uh," she stammered.

"Please, Mattie."

She sighed, "I'll agree on one condition."

"Name it, anything! You want a raise, done, a corner office, done, anything," I offered.

Mattie sputtered, "No, no, I just need off the afternoon a week from Thursday. If I could leave around noon that would be helpful."

That's all she wants? I'm offering everything I think a young woman would want and she simply wants to take off a half day?

"No." Her shoulders slumped. "No, I'm sorry, you'll have to take the full day. I wouldn't want you to get caught up in something and be late. Better to keep your focus," I grinned as she realized my trick.

She threw her arms around my neck and giggled, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Suddenly she pulled back and blushed, "Oh shit, I'm so sorry, Mr. Henshaw."

"Corey," I said as she tilted her head in confusion. "My name is Corey, Mattie, and you have nothing to apologize for. Hugs from a beautiful woman are always welcome, especially you, little one." Her blush deepened. "Now, we should get you some food before the others get back. Any preferences, dietary restrictions?"

"Oh, no, none, sir," she said softly. "Thank you again."

"My pleasure, little one," I smiled and picked up the phone, but before I could order, Raven and Brandon walked in with sandwiches.

"We, uh, noticed you snag her in the hallway, so I picked up something for both of you," Brandon blushed. "We've got a French dip, shrimp po' boy; cajun shrimp wrap, and a creole steak sandwich. Who wants what?"

She raised her hand, "I'll take the wrap if no one else minds." He handed it to her and sat down next to her, placing a quick kiss on her cheek. Her eyes went wide as she looked at Raven and me. "Brandon," she chided him.

He chuckled, "Too late, beautiful girl, that ship has sailed. I confessed everything when I got home last night."

She nearly choked on the bite she'd taken. Her hand flew to her mouth, "Confessed! We kissed for goodness sake. It's not like we had sex on the front porch, Brandon."

He winked, "Yeah, I'm fairly sure your MawMaw would beat my ass for that. But she still thinks I'm beau material."

"What is beau material?" Raven asked.

"Druzhok," she told him. "She thought Brandon was my boyfriend when he dropped me off last night."

Raven pretended to pout, "I want to be druzhok material too." I thought she was going to pass out. "Let me meet MawMaw, see if she thinks I'm beau material for krolik."

"Todos ustedes van a hacer que me sonroje hasta la muerte. (You are all going to make me blush to death,)" she muttered under her breath and continued eating.

"Woah, you speak Spanish too?" Brandon asked.

"I was surprised too," I told them. "Seems our little one is rather talented. She overheard the lawyers and figured out our situation. Right before you came in, I was offering her anything she wanted to help us review the files for the merger and our original contract with Meadows. Maybe we can find a way out of this."

"What does little bunny want?" Raven said in a husky voice as she blushed further.

I snorted, "She only wanted a half-day off. I told her to take a full day and that we would start providing transportation to and from work."

"Beautiful, why didn't you just put in a request for the day off with your department supervisor?" Brandon asked her. I noticed her body stiffen at the mention of Trish. Hmmm...

"Oh, um, well she said I need to get to the meeting quickly and I just found out that I'd need the day this morning before you picked me up. I guess I just didn't have time," she said quickly - a little too quickly.

"Oh, well next time just tell one of us," he said.

She blinked, "I can't do that. I mean, you're my bosses. What would the rest of the firm think?" She groaned, "Maybe the rides might not be a good idea after all. I don't want any gossip getting started. I'm sure you three have busy lives too."

We exchanged worried looks. I know Bran was already gone for this girl, and I think both Raven and I aren't far behind.

He took her hand and scooted closer to her, "Hey, don't worry about any of that." She lowered her head, but he gripped her chin gently and lifted it. "Mattie, I mean it, we mean it. If you need something let us know, and as for the rides, we want to help. If you won't accept a raise, then it's our responsibility to help with transportation. Taking a taxi twice a day is too expensive."

"But what will people think?" she whispered.

"Don't give a damn what people think, krolik," Raven gruffed. "Only what you think."

"I...I guess it's okay. I mean it would really help," she replied quietly. "Thank you." This girl was something else... "Oh, shoot, we need to get back!"

"Yeah, otherwise Trish will end up signing something she shouldn't," I groaned. Mattie raised her eyes but didn't say anything. "I'll get you copies of everything by tomorrow morning, okay?" She nodded and brushed off her skirt before heading to the door, but Brandon stopped her.

She seemed confused when he quickly pulled her to him and kissed her. Her cheeks were flushed when he finally took a step back. "Damn, that color looks amazing on you, baby. When we're all done, get changed and meet me in the garage to get you home," he grinned as she nodded dreamily.

I nudged his arm when she'd walked a few steps away. "We need to have a talk about her," I said.

He snorted, "Yeah, I knew that comment was coming yesterday. You two are already goners. Axel will fall to his knees, and Marc will flip when he finds out she knows Spanish and used to live in California. She perfect for us, brother, completely fucking perfect." I nodded in agreement. The look of pure happiness on my brother's face was something I had seldom seen. If this girl could make the rest of us even a fraction as happy, then I'd be damned if we let her slip away.

Author's Notes:  I like sassy Corey.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 8.5K 106
Luke Taylor left South Carolina to work with other teams on special Academy missions. While working in San Diego, he meets an unusual young woman wh...
190K 8.2K 40
Nine boys saved Sang from her abusive home. Nine boys loved her, and she loved them. But nine boys wouldn't let her learn to stand on her own two f...
149K 9.9K 45
An Academy/ Ghost Bird Fanfic. Inspired by the characters and story by C.L. Stone. This story contains characters that are similar to the Ghost Bird...
102K 6.3K 74
An academy fanfiction Pria doesn't think she is worthy of dreaming until two Dads show her the love she has never received. Whilst realising what...