Chapter 59

Mattie

"Emilio, have you seen Tori?" I asked him when he came in. "She wasn't at dinner and when I asked Sean he said they haven't seen her since this afternoon when she walked them back to their room."

He shook his head, "No. Did she have plans, maybe a date?"

I stared at him open-mouthed, then said, "Are you insane? If Carlos found her dating, he'd kill her, or worse." He gave me a confused look. "Are you really so blind to that man? He's a monster, Emilio. He thinks of her as his personal possession. He takes pride in adding to her scars and humiliating her." I paused, almost terrified to ask the next question, but I did. "Or did you already know that? Were you just like him before me?"

He sat on the edge of the bed and sighed, "I am not a sadist if that is what you're implying, Mattie. Yes, I was a womanizer, because I knew they weren't you. I had plenty of affairs, but I find no pleasure in hurting women outside of the occasional spanking and consensual play. Yes, I knew he was fascinated with her. Hell, he once offered me several millions for her, but I refused." He dropped his head, refusing to look at me. "Tori was bought and sold repeatedly to pay off her father's debts. I knew the two of them had some type of relationship, but I honestly thought it was agreed upon, not forced."

My fists gripped the sheets until I couldn't take it any longer and I slapped him. "You absolute idiot! Do you have any idea what he did when she sent me to Rico? He flayed her back with a whip, then raped her, forcing her to thank him and beg for more. Why do you think I stood up to him that day? He's obsessed and one of these days he will end up killing her if he gets the chance."

Emilio rubbed his jaw, "That's twice you've slapped me, Mattie," he growled. "I won't raise my hand to you, but make no mistake, there will be a consequence for it." My eyes went wide. "You can't strike someone without being prepared for the blowback, wife. If you intend to remain by my side, you need to fully understand that. Now, I'll go and speak with Carlos. I will heed your warnings about him and hope he hasn't done something reckless. You will stay here, sí?" His voice was colder than it had been in months and I cringed.

"I'll stay, sir," I said softly. "I'm sorry. I just got so angry."

"I understand, little mouse, but my warning is sincere. I'm not saying I'm going to strike you, but others might not hesitate," he said in a softer tone and kissed my head. "Now, rest and I'll find her."

"Thank you," I said as he stepped out the door. I sat waiting, a knot forming in my stomach.

Emilio

It took everything in me not to slap her back, but she was right, I hadn't been properly paying attention to Carlos. If she had seen that much anger and violence in such a short time, then what had I missed over the years? I stopped at Sean and Owen's door, knocking rapidly.

"Emilio?" Owen asked, answering in his boxers. "Is everything okay, do I need to get Sean?"

"Um, sorry to wake you, but I think I might need your help - both of you actually," I said.

"Sure, give us just a minute to get dressed," he replied and shut the door. I could hear voices and shuffling then the door swung open and they appeared in sweats and t-shirts. "How can we help?"

I looked at Sean, "Grab your medical bag, please. I hope Mattie is wrong, but I fear she isn't."

"Wrong about what?" Sean asked.

"No one has seen Tori since you two. Mattie's worried.."

"Carlos," Owen spat, cutting me off. "I'll fucking kill him if he touched her again." I stared in shock at his feral reaction. "Yes, Emilio, we know what that monster has done to her. I've seen the layers of scars she bears from him and others. And while I can't go back and erase her suffering, I sure as hell can end the bastard that haunts her dreams and even her waking moments."

"Who the hell is she to you?" I demanded as we headed down the hall.

"She's ours. We knew it the moment we met her, and I'll be damned if I let her get hurt again," Owen growled. I studied him as we walked toward Carlos's chambers. He was young, but intimidating in a quiet way. I had no doubt he would draw first blood tonight if she was harmed.

I didn't even bother to knock, pushing the heavy doors to his 'playroom' open, and instantly felt the bile rising in my throat. Tori hung suspended from the ceiling by heavy chains that dug into her wrists as her back bleed freely from the multiple wounds where Carlos had and continued to whip her. He turned and grinned, "Care for a round with the whore, boys?"

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Carlos?" I roared as I charged toward him.

"Whatever the fuck I want," he laughed as he pulled a gun out and pointed it at me. "You've gone soft, boss. That perra you call a wife is ruining everything. Who the fuck is she to tell us to stop selling girls and kids? That's my bread and butter, man. Then she has the gall to take my whore from me. I fucking own her - no one else touches her without my permission and a fee of course," he laughed insanely. Tori let out a low moan as her head lolled to the side. He gave her ass a smack as she jolted. "See, my whore likes her pain, gets her off."

"Carlos, come on, you're drunk. You don't want to hurt Tori," I said, taking a cautious step forward, my eyes scanning the room for anything I could use as a weapon. "Just let her down and Dr. Green can take a look at her. No one has to get hurt."

He laughed, "Oh man, you're such a fool. Everyone has to get hurt, boss. Tori, you, your precious wife...you'll all be begging for my favor soon enough. Of course, I'll be boss then." He began backing up, his gun still trained on me. "You want her, then come get her," he said and flipped the handle to the chains. Tori's body began to fall rapidly as Sean and Owen charged forward, I looked away for only a moment as he darted toward the back door. Before I could say anything he let out a grunt, "Fuck!" then stumbled out the door with a knife protruding from his shoulder.

"Get back to Mattie," Owen roared, "We'll be right behind you. Make sure that asshole doesn't get to her."

I felt the blood drain from my face as I ran toward our bedroom. The door was open. Why was the door open?

"Mattie?" I said cautiously as I opened the door. The bed was empty. I checked the bathroom...also empty. "Mattie!" I screamed, realization dawning on me.

She was gone.

Author's Notes:  darkness...you should have known I wouldn't make this easy... I am the Eve of Chaos after all...