The Dark Heir - Nyx

By smplymxlfoy

Theia believed Nyx would come for her, Nyx believed Theia abandoned him. When it's time for Zenova, Nyx's co... More

1. Theia.
2. Nyx
3. Theia.
4. Theia.
5. Nyx.
6. Theia.
7. Nyx.
8. Theia.
9. Nyx.
11. Nyx.
12. Theia.
13. Nyx.
14. Theia.
15. Nyx.
16. Theia.
17. Nyx.
18. Theia
19. Nyx.
20. Theia.
21. Theia
22. Nyx
23. Theia
24. Nyx
25. Theia.
26. Theia.
27. Nyx
28. Theia.
29. Theia.
30. Nyx
31. Theia.
32. Theia
33. Nyx
34. Theia
35. Nyx
36. Nyx
37. Theia
38. Theia
39. Nyx.
40. Theia
41. Theia.
42. Nyx
43. Theia
44. Nyx.
45. Theia
46. Theia
47. Nyx
48. Theia
49. Theia
50. Nyx
51. Theia
52. Nyx
53. Theia
54. Theia
55. Nyx
56. Theia
57. Theia
58. Nyx
59. Theia
60. Theia
61. Nyx
62. Theia
63. Theia
64. Nyx
65. Theia
66. Nyx
67. Theia
ANNOUNCEMENT

10. Theia.

1.1K 36 1
By smplymxlfoy

Theia's choice was Nyx. After cleaning his blood from her skin and crawling into her bed, Theia decided Nyx was the one she wanted to kill. Her life had been hard, and Nyx was the foundation for most of it. He had come into her home, threatened her, and taken every ounce of coin she had left. She wasn't going to struggle to survive anymore, that female was left in the past under Nyx's foot where Theia left her.

She didn't sleep. Theia left her bed at the rising sun and bathed. She pulled on her favorite sweater and pants- a little something to encourage her. It seemed fitting to wear a cloak rather than a coat, since Nyx seemed to terrorize her with one. He hadn't found the bag she kept with her that contained her daily spendings, always keeping a month's worth within it. Theia tucked it into the inner pocket of the cloak and left her house.

"Are you alright?"

The soldier at position beside her front door caught Theia by surprise. She yelped, sending her back into the door. Her ribs still ached from the blow Nyx had given her the night before, so she took a moment to catch her breath.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry for the scare last night. Someone came to my house and frightened me." She tried to speak with cool calm, but the flickering rage emphasized her words. The soldier cocked a brow.

"And the bloodied dagger?"

"Self-defense."

He pursed his lips and looked her over. Apparently he decided she was not a threat, nor in danger, because he bid her a good day and took off into the skies. Theia let out a slow breath and continued to the village. The shops were just setting up for the day, but Theia knew where she needed to be. She lifted the cloak hood over her hair and marched into the blacksmith shop.

The heat from the newly started fires was instant. Sweat beaded on her temple as Theia looked at the displayed weapons. The owner was somewhere in the back, more than likely collecting steel for his next blade.

"What can I do for you?" The older, gruff voice sounded. Theia turned her head to see him stepping from the back room, arm holding long steel poles. He dropped them beside the heating crucible.

"Looking for a dagger," Theia murmured. He raised a hand to his ear and she groaned before repeating herself louder.

"What type? Battle, casual, one on one?"

"Something for a female that lives alone with a male that has a vendetta against her," Theia spoke, giving him a look that solidified her response. The male gave a grunt and a nod, though she saw the grin that teased his lips as he marched over to the display.

"This one does the most damage. It'll hold them down long enough for you to get away. Even the strongest of our warriors need time to heal after a wound from one of these," the blacksmith explained, pulling a strangely shaped dagger from a velvet casing.

The hilt was curved to easily fit in the palm of the hand. The blade- that was unusual. Rather than the flat blade she was familiar with, this one had three edges. They curled around each other before combining into a needle-like point. Easy access, maximum damage. Theia could already imagine the type of wound that would come from this weapon. The tip would create a sliver through the flesh, but the twist of the blade would create a gaping hole that would take days to heal from.

"How much?" Theia asked, though her voice barely above a whisper. The blacksmith knew what she asked. He told her the sum, and her heart nearly stopped. It would be the final of her savings. She had barely enough to cover the cost.

Her throat cleared, hands gripping the fabric of her cloak. If it went her way, she would get her money back. If it didn't, she wouldn't have to worry about money any longer. Theia sighed and unclipped the bag from her cloak and held it out. The blacksmith gave her a toothy grin as he took it and poured the coin onto the counter.

While he counted the money, Theia took it upon herself to hold the lethal weapon. It was comfortable in her hand. She gripped it as though ready to drive it through Nyx's chest. She could almost feel the satisfaction of creating the gaping hole where his heart should be.

"We're done, then," the blacksmith announced, scooping the coin back into the bag. Theia gave a nod and slipped her hand back into her cloak, the dagger in her fist. She didn't bother looking back at the blacksmith as he celebrated his newest sale.

Her mind was set, and she aimed for the house Nyx resided in. Her first choice would be to knock, act as a broken and weak female and beg for the money back. Hopefully, it would start enough of a conversation to get her through the door, she would wait until his back was turned, and strike.

It was a foolish plan, but Theia was running on instinct. Her boots crushed the dying snow as she made her way up the rock-lined road. Her fist shook slightly as she rose it to knock, the dagger snug in her other hand.

The door opened after a long while, revealing the female Cassian had introduced to her. "You're the female from the tavern."

"And you're Cassian's daughter," Theia responded with a tight smile. She had forgotten about the young cousin. Her plan seemed to crumble at the mere sight of her. She couldn't kill Nyx with Zenova in the house. "Is Nyx home?"

Zenova shook her head. Theia noted the small look of disdain on her face. Interesting.

"No, but he should be soon. I'm going into the village to meet some friends, but you're welcome to wait here for him," Zenova chirped. Theia's smile grew genuine.

"Thank you."

She slipped into the house, her eyes roaming the familiar space. Zenova grabbed a coat from the hook and pulled it on, turning to Theia as she buttoned it around her wings.

"Feel free to make something to eat. I was going to be I'm going to the bakery instead," she grinned before slipping out the door. Theia released a heavy breath, her tight muscles relaxing slightly. It was pure luck that the small female was leaving before Nyx returned.

Theia cleared her throat and glanced around the sitting room. Besides the changes in blankets and arrangement of furniture, everything was the same. Her eyes turned to the staircase, her heart feeling as though someone squeezed it. There were more memories on the second floor of this house than Theia could fathom. It was not only where she began to depend on Nyx, or let him take her to bed, but also where Maia had died.

She gripped the banister as she climbed the stairs, eyes set on the door to the left. She would check Nyx's room and forget that bedroom existed. Theia turned to the right and pushed open the familiar door. Her brows furrowed when she realized how wrong she was.

The blankets were embroidered with delicate flowers, and a painting of Nesta and Cassian hung above the fireplace. There were clothes strewn across the floor that would never fit Nyx. Theia's chest deflated as she looked behind herself.

Nyx was staying in the room Maia had died in. Was that a sick joke? Her heart pounded as she shut Zenova's door and slowly stepped towards the other bedroom. Her breathing grew unsteady, the shake in her hands jolting the doorknob as she twisted it.

It didn't smell of death or decay. It smelled of pine, spices, and Nyx. Her eyes fell to the bed. It was donned with dark sheets and a thick fur blanket. A stack of books sat on the side table beside a half empty glass of water and a lantern. Theia swallowed hard as she crept into the room, softly shutting the door behind herself.

Her feet brought her to the far side of the bed. Her fingers traced the wrinkle in the sheets, eyes squeezing shut. Everything was so different now, but she could almost feel her mother beneath her fingertips. Pain and longing choked Theia as she stepped back, staring at the bed. It felt wrong to know that Nyx slept there and that her mother's death bed was not left untouched.

The sound of the front door slamming shut had her jumping. Theia muttered a curse and carefully brought herself around the room to the spot behind the door. A surprise attack, then.

"Zen! Did you eat?" Nyx's voice rang from the main floor. Silence responded, and Theia willed her breathing to slow. The stairs creaked under his body weight as Nyx climbed the staircase.

"Zen?" He called out again. Theia squeezed her eyes shut, clinging to the dagger in a sweating fist. A knocking sound came from across the corridor, and then the sound of Zenova's bedroom door creaking open.

"Damn kid," Nyx muttered before his footsteps drew closer. Theia watched the doorknob twist, and she regretted her decision. It would not only be her mother's death in this room, but her own. The door opened, pinning Theia between it and a book case. Nyx appeared, his back to her as he began to shut the door.

Without thinking, Theia leapt into action. Her hand with the dagger rose, aiming between his wings. As soon as her arm moved to strike, Nyx spun. Theia screamed when his hand crushed her wrist, her body slamming into the bookshelf. She hated herself for the way the dagger fell from her grasp, clattering to the floor between them. His other hand caught her by the throat, pinning her to the shelf.

"I knew I fucking smelled you," Nyx spat, his voice as hard as his eyes. Theia didn't back down. She copied his gaze, jaw set tight despite the way Nyx's thumb shoved her chin up.

"Give my money back," she snarled. Nyx's head tilted, a wicked grin spreading across his lips.

"Your money? It was my father's. You took it before running off to a new life. I took back what was his," Nyx growled, his face leaning closer. Theia couldn't help her response. It felt weak to let the confession fall from her lips.

"You never came for me."

The grip around her throat tightened, making her wheeze. Nyx bared his teeth, his eyes falling to the source of the sound. Theia felt that hollowness in her chest grow. She remembered when a touch like this wasn't for pain, but a gentle way to bring her lips to his.

"Come for you? You abandoned me," Nyx responded, shoving at her body before stepping back.

"Your father gave me that money to leave so that you could focus on your responsibilities," Theia blurted, her fingers grazing the sore skin where his hand had been. Nyx scoffed again as he turned away, pacing around the room. Theia took the chance to grab her dagger from the ground and tuck it into her cloak.

"I knew you were a thief, Theia, but a liar, too? It's pathetic. Accept your defeat and get out of my house."

"Ask him," she said, stepping forward. Nyx looked at her over his shoulder. The way he gave her his back was almost like a taunt.

"I have. He said you left at the first sign of an easy life. I could have given that to you. I could've given you everything but you were a greedy bitch. You took what you could get and you left me."

Theia turned her gaze to the center of his back, to the fabric between his wings. She could do it. She could do it while he was distracted.

"How could I have carried that trunk? Your father winnowed me here. He brought the money with us," she muttered, tightening her grip around the dagger.

Nyx turned fully, a lethal glare burning in his eyes. There was no nostalgia behind his hatred for her.

"If you want to keep your life, I suggest you drop that dagger and you leave my house. Come for me again, and I will fucking slaughter you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.8K 273 7
A group of fic's detailing some of the more major scenes of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas from the point of view of Rhysand as he expe...
23.3K 792 52
For everyone who is sick of waiting for Sarah J Maas to finally release Azriel's story. And everyone who doesn't want him to end up with Gwyn or Ela...
40.7K 962 37
Love conquers everything they say, but does it death? The story of two lovers destined to be together but haunted by the ghosts of the past. Slowbur...
121K 3.8K 46
Completed. AzrielxFemale OC - Slow Burn, Fluff, Smut, Soft Az. Lots of Action/Story/Other character involvement. "Coming back is like swimming up to...