and we scored

By amyhopeey

NINI I've spent the last years running away from my past. Now, I've finally found what I need. Friends. Coll... More

a playlist
Scene 1
Scene 2
Scene 3
Scene 4
Scene 5
Scene 6
Scene 7
Scene 8
Scene 9
Scene 10
Scene 11
Scene 12
Scene 13
Scene 14
Scene 15
Scene 16
Scene 17
Scene 18
Scene 19
Scene 20
Scene 21
Scene 22
Scene 23
Scene 24
Scene 26
Scene 27
Scene 28
Scene 29
Scene 30
Scene 31
Scene 32
Scene 33
Scene 34
Scene 35
Scene 36
Scene 37
Scene 38
Scene 39
Scene 40
Scene 41
Scene 42
Scene 43
Scene 44
Scene 45
Scene 46
Scene 47
Scene 48
Scene 49
Epilogue
Extended Epilogue
Author's Note
Sneak peek: 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓌ℯ 𝒽𝒶𝓉ℯ𝒹

Scene 25

4.3K 130 40
By amyhopeey

CADEN

It's right before break that I spot it. An intense red in the crowd. Some strands flying in the air, as someone moves their head.

I blink once, yet the red is gone.

"Everything okay, man?" James comes skating closer to me, noticing how I must have frozen for a few seconds.

"Yeah, all good", I say, trying to shake off the feeling and focus on the game. It is a very important game for our team. Wrencore against Westview. Another Ivy League in Los Angeles. One would think Wrencore is the only university which gathered all the stars, from princesses to billionaires and influencers, yet Westview also has its pride. Michael Hayes, a famous pop star. James Winsgate, owner of the most prestigious men fashion house. All names that one can't look past when thinking about Westview.

The only name I can't look past right now is Ellerie. Simon Ellerie. The guy who slammed one of my guys' face with the stick then pushed him on the ice. Hugh, the one who got the hit, is now sitting on the bench, an icepack pressed to his cheek, looking at us begging to win. Because hitting Ellerie wouldn't pain him as much as losing the game would.

I try to forget the red hair I saw in the stands and focus on winning. I owe that to Hugh. I fight my way to the puck and soon I have it in my control. This is the reason I love hockey. The speed, the rush, that instinct of having to be the best. It all gives me more adrenaline than anything ever could. And it makes me feel alive.

The puck is soon making its way to our opponents' gate. And we scored.

The crowd goes wild. Flags showing out university's logo fly in the air, someone starts chanting, some start calling my name.

The adrenaline kicks again.

Yet I've learned so far. No celebrating until the last points were scored. Anything can happen while we're still on the ice. You're the winner only in the end. Until then, you fight.

A voice fills the room announcing the break. And that's when I see it again.

Looking around the room, I see the red strands flying in the air again. This time as well, I look away and they're gone.

I don't think I've started hallucinating. Yet, I also don't think I saw what I wanted to see. Nini doesn't even know about the game. I learned through my relationship with Tessa that telling the girl about the games only brings conflicts. So, I stopped doing that. Nini couldn't possibly be here. It must be someone else.

James appears behind me again and must have noticed I look all confused: "You okay, cap?"

"Yeah, I'm fine", I lie. He notices. We skate together off the ice and to our coach, who claps hands with us and congratulates us for how we've played so far. Given the fact the break takes 30 minutes since they have to fix something on the ice, I give off my helmet and go with my hand through my wet hair. I sweated a lot and can also feel the sweat on my forehead. I go followed by James to my bag which lies on the benches, take out a small towel and wipe out my forehead. I don't carry much in my bag. Only the clothes I will be changing in after taking off my jersey, my water bottle, a protein bar for after the game and my phone. As soon as I place my towel back inside, I turn to look at the stands again. They are filled with people, both from Wrencore and Westview, so it's almost impossible to find somebody.

"Have you seen a redhead over there?" I ask James. He smirks, probably imagining what I must be thinking, and turns his eyes to the stands, to help me search.

I'm scanning the seats as he asks me: "Why? Do you suddenly think a redhead would suit you?"

Jackpot. My eyes land on the searched person. Nini is standing somewhere on the west wing of the arena, wearing a navy-blue sweater, that matches our team's color. She paired it with a pair of jeans, that show off her curves beautifully. Her hair is put together in a ponytail, giving her a very athletic look. She looks gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Nini seems to have also noticed me, since she now smiles. She waves a bit at me and I have to chuckle. I wouldn't have thought she would be here. Yet she is. And it makes me happy in a way I can't describe.

Next to her are two girls I recognize. Sofia, who is definitely overdressed for this game. Although she might have tried to look sporty with the pants and the blouse, one can't look past the way her clothes scream money. Or the sunglasses on the top of her head. The other girl is the one who always wears headphones on, Dia. She's dressed more normal, with a sweater and a short black skirt. No matter how pretty the other two girls are, my eyes wonder off to Nini again. Who is the most beautiful one.

I stare her sweater again, wanting it off. It doesn't feel right for her to wear a normal plain blue sweater, whereas everyone here has a "WRENCORE HOCKEY" hoodie. And she's the one I actually want to see in that hoodie.

So, I go back to my bag and take my extra hoodie out from there. It is the one with my name and the number 12. My number. Then, I quickly turn to James and tell him: "I'll be right back." He nods smirking and makes his way to his bag, for his water bottle.

I can't get up since there's a big wall separating the ice from where the seats begin; in case the puck might fly off, so that it doesn't hit the guests. So, I take out my phone and quickly text Nini.

ME: Come down.

I watch as she feels the phone vibrate in her pocket, how she takes it out and how she throws me a stare as soon as she read it. I nod, which makes her smirk and do what I asked her to. She comes down the staircase til she's so close, I can hold her hand underneath the railing if I lift myself up on my toes. After I take her hand and curl our fingers, I just stare at her. There were a thousand thoughts in my head about what I could say, yet I just freeze. And all that I say is:

"You came".

"Of course", she answers whispering. "It's a big day for you. I wanted you to know I'm here for you."

I swallow hard, then, as I process her words, I lift myself higher and pull her a bit down so that I can get to her lips through the metal bars. She laughs softly and kisses me more, still holding our hands together. It's the moment I hear the speaker's voice announcing that the game will begin again soon that I put some distance between us. However, not too much distance. I am still holding her close.

"This is for you", I say, handing her the hoodie between the bars. She looks at it surprised, not knowing whether she should take it or not.

"But it's yours", she whispers.

"I know."

"But I am already wearing your team's color."

"But not my name."

"You could give me the hoodie of someone who doesn't need it later. You need it later. You can't go back home shirtless."

"I'd rather go back home naked than having to see any other name on your back."

She swallows hard at my reply. Then asks: "Why?"

"Because you're mine, Broadway."

She blinks a few times at what I said. It's only then that I realize what I just said. And I really hope I haven't scared her or anything, but it is the truth. She is mine. She just didn't know it.

It takes a few seconds before she reacts again. She smirks and takes off her hoodie, remaining in a very short kind of white top for a few seconds. A few seconds, that were enough for me to see her waist and the shape of her body. And for a moment, I found myself regretting that I ever gave her that hoodie. I would like to stare at her forever. Nevertheless, the moment she has the hoodie on, my heart skips a beat. She turns around for a second to make sure her ponytail stays straight and that's when I see it. My name. On her back. My number. On her back. And it seems like that's the place they have always belonged to. Her. She wears my name like she owns it. Like it was always meant to be hers too. Seeing my name there is the dirtiest thing I have ever seen. And it isn't at all dirty. It's just a hoodie. On a girl. But it means more to me than anything. As she turns back to me, I'm frozen. Like I'm literally speechless.

"Everything okay?" she asks me, a bit worried. She makes her hands on the fabric, wanting to give the hoodie off, probably thinking that's the reason I froze. It is. But not because of what she might be thinking of.

"No, keep it", I say, stopping her.

"But it's your hoodie. And it has your name on it."

"It was only ever yours too to begin with."

She smiles, yet as she realizes what I've said, her cheeks turn red. The voice in the speakers announces that the game will begin again. I can also hear Coach Banks calling after me.

"That's my cue", I say, pulling her closer one more time to give her a kiss. "Meet me after the game?"

"Sure", she says. Then adds: "Break a leg."

"I've told you that's only used in theater", I reply chuckling, since she's said that to me before and I corrected her just like now.

"I know. My bad", she answers smirking. I can't hold back a laughter. And after kissing her again, I return to my team, feeling more motivated than ever to win.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 45.6K 64
Abby Ryan has her whole life planned out, up until graduation that is. As a journalism student at the University of Southern Washington, she has one...
3.6K 97 24
I swallow nervously looking away from him "I have them for you." He says quietly. "Have what?" I say lowly, wanting to hear him say it the same way h...
11.3K 342 45
Lyla heads into her final year of College after getting through the summer of dealing with her break up with Shawn. Has she moved on? Even Lyla might...
2.1M 56.4K 54
[COMPLETE] Soz this may be cringe, it was written very long ago A seemingly ordinary, working college girl meets a cool, undeniably sexy boy with m...