SWEET NICOTINE | pope heyward

By appetenxe

IN WHICH after a storm of chaos tears through a teenage girl's life she follows the treasure hunt her mother... More

π™Žπ™’π™€π™€π™ π™‰π™„π˜Ύπ™Šπ™π™„π™‰π™€
PROLOGUE
01, home sweet home
02, the island's secrets
03, discovery session
04, exploded celebrations
05, graveyard of the atlantic
06, the diary and it's tales
07, rumble in the jungle
08, the island room
09, the tortoise and the tortoise
10, a boy on a mission
11, kooks vs pogues round three
12, the coastal venture
13, the stowaways
14, a game of distraction
15, the group of stranded teenagers
17, welcome back to reality
18, a runaways simple survival skills
19, the plan
20, location services
21, the church bells
22, it's a long story kid
23, amelia jade whitlock
24, routledge family affairs
25, an actual plan
26, under the overpass
27, three for three
28, something's different
29, the wing woman act
30, deals of confession
31, doctor cameron
32, surprise guests
33, the promise of safety
34, the lost city of gold
35, one big happy family
EPILOGUE

16, a slice of paradise

1.9K 74 43
By appetenxe

❝it's always have and never hold
you've begun to feel like home yeah
what's mine is yours to leave or take
what's mine is yours to make your own❞

-look after you, the fray

chapter sixteen, A SLICE OF PARADISE

DAY TWENTY-FOUR

"I think you need to add more here" AJ suggested to JJ as he used a burnt stick to draw on a piece of beige fabric.

"on the coconut bra?" JJ asked, studying his work of art.

"yeah, on the coconut bra. Maybe on the end of that joint too" The mention of joints made JJ tip his head back with a groan.

"god I miss that stupid Juul"

"how long are you guys going to work on that?" Cleo called out, staring at the pair in disbelief. In her defence, the two had been working on the Poguelandia flag all morning. "AJ, we're going to get more berries and coconuts" The girl took the hint and stood from the sand.

JJ scoffed as he was left to finish the flag on his own and the blonde girl brushed the sand from her body before following Cleo to where Pope was waiting.

"That's what you needed first?" Pope's question was playful and Cleo signalled him to keep moving.

"so you're telling me you had your own house, your own room, and they was gonna give you money to read books?" Cleo changed the subject back to one the group had been talking about the day before, what life looked like before all of the treasure hunting.

"Well, it was a scholarship. and I don't know if I'd have gotten it. It's whatever now" Pope shrugged, picking a few berries up and placing them in the woven basket Sarah had made.

"So you just throw it away to chase treasure with your dropout friends?" Cleo's question made AJ hum in agreeance.

"yeah, your life was set. Why ruin it? Why sabotage your scholarship interview?" AJ added, looking over to the boy.

"It wasn't just about the treasure, that cross belongs to my family. it's important to me and I still haven't lost it"

"We just found out about the cross Pope, what about before that?" AJ questioned, her gaze softening as she turned and walked backwards.

"Yeah, better off keeping what you got than searching for something you ain't gonna find. Did Daddy ever teach you nothing? Sunken treasure. You had the real treasure in your hand, and you just let it go" Cleo and AJ were ganging up on him in their own way, neither runaways seeing why anyone would throw what he had away.

"Okay well, what about you, huh? You had a job on a boat, a life, I'm sure, before all of this. You gave it all up to scrounge for berries in the jungle." He turned from Cleo back to AJ. "and you?" The rest of his sentence didn't leave his mouth, the boy shutting up when he saw the way she raised her brow. "Just saying"

"Well, what we had wasn't better than this. Can't say the same, now, can you?" Cleo pointed out, walking up ahead more with AJ to get some more coconuts.

"I just can't see it" Cleo continued on now that Pope couldn't hear and AJ shook her head.

"I can't either, what a dream"

"You had a good life though, didn't ya?"

"Even before my mom was killed. Life was not on that kind of path" She referenced Pope, knowing Cleo would understand what she was saying. "but, I guess I'm in between the two of you. I can't say I had to do half the things you did" The blonde girl leaned down and picked a few berries, tossing two in her mouth.

DAY TWENTY-SIX

The group of seven were sitting around in a circle, a simple game of truth or dare being played. "John B, your turn. Truth or dare?" Sarah let out, passing the boy the woven hat.

"all right, all right. Truth"

"truth?" Sarah questioned.

"this is exciting" Cleo's statement made AJ laugh.

"If you could do it all again...what would you do different?" Sarah's question made the boy think for a second.

"Uh get the gold out before Ward did" JJ answered.

"Maybe hide the cross a little better" Pope shrugged.

"Not yell murderer at Ward, maybe"

"I don't really have any regrets except maybe letting Pope drive" AJ let out.

"uh steal a couple bottles of rum before we jumped off the boat" John B added.

"Yeah, why didn't you do that, actually?" JJ turned to the boy, asking the serious questions.

"yeah, why didn't we?" AJ agreed.

"I dunno, maybe cause we were in a fight to the death?" John B looked to the blonde across the circle from him and she nodded.

"oh right"

"I would look both ways before crossing the street" Cleo answered.

"yeah my bad my bad" John B held his hands up in defence.

"Your turn chief" Cleo reminded him.

"All right Kie, truth or dare" After John B asked, AJ sort of tuned out everything. She turned her head, meeting Pope's eyes on her right. They shared a look before he turned back to the game.

Kiara made her opinions of going home loud and known and AJ watched the way Pope's face started to look more like a mask. Hiding what she knew he was thinking.

"The showers tempting though" Kiara added and AJ tipped her head back.

"a nice warm shower would literally be all I'd need" She let out, thinking of the warm water hitting her back.

"I could use a fat shower right now" John B agreed

"JJ truth or dare?" Kiara turned to the blonde boy and he scoffed.

"I mean, do you even need to ask?" In answer, Kiara pointed to the cliff, a smile on her face.

"big jump, nobody's done it yet. Dare" The teens watched as JJ ran up to the cliff, the six joining at the shore to watch. "do you think he will?" Sarah asked, standing next to AJ.

"Are you kidding? Of course, he will"

"There he is!" John B let out, JJ appearing at the top. The pogues cheered.

"He's not gonna do it!" Cleo shook her head and JJ laughed.

"oh, I won't huh?"

"He's gonna do it. It's highly dangerous, uh, zero reward? Yeah, he's doing it" Pope shrugged his shoulders and AJ nodded. JJ started running and the pogues broke out into cheers again.

"Come on J!" AJ shouted. The boy did a flip before landing in the water and AJ was the first to run into the water, the rest following behind her.

"I actually thought I was gonna die," JJ said, and Pope laughed.

"it looked like you were gonna die"

"my turn!" AJ announced, the girl already rushing towards the shore.

DAY TWENTY-NINE

By the afternoon the rain was coming down pretty badly. The pogues grouped themselves under the natural structure. Their handmade ones helping a bit too.

JJ and Kiara sat at the checker's board. Sarah and John B were by the fire, sitting closely and talking to themselves. Cleo and AJ were putting out the coconuts so they could collect fresh water. They were living off of mostly just the water from coconuts because making ocean water drinkable took a long time so when they were given the opportunity for easier access they had to jump at it.

Pope was sitting by a smaller fire he started, using a stick to poke it. AJ watched from where she was standing, only looking away when Cleo cleared her throat.

The girl's hair was slick to their skin. Their soaked clothes clinging to their bodies. It wasn't exactly the shower they were talking about three days before but it was still good.

AJ pushed some water from her face as she met Cleo's eyes. She looked towards the water and then back to AJ. The blonde got the hint. It was a still moment for one second and then the girls were racing to the water.

Loud laughs caught the attention of the others and they looked over, Cleo and AJ splashing each other with water as they swam out. JJ was the next to run out, peeling his shirt off and discarding it in the sand.

Pope and Sarah ran out, followed by John B and last by Kiara. The water was warm from the sun that shone in the sky earlier that day, now hidden by stormy clouds.

AJ felt arms wrap around her waist, the girl soon lifted out of the water. She gasped, barely having time to close her mouth before she was thrown back in.

"JJ" She scolded when she surfaced, sending a large splash his way.

"who wants to play chicken?" John B suggested and AJ cheered for the idea.

"I'm picking AJ" Cleo announced, swimming over to the girl.

The rest teamed off leaving Pope to ref the matches. First was Cleo and AJ against John B and JJ. John B and Cleo stood eye to eye as AJ got ready to shove at JJ.

"Okay, three two one. Go!" Pope let out, laughing as JJ and AJ both quickly started, the shoving getting more aggressive.

"you're going down pretty boy" She laughed.

"you think I'm pretty?" JJ asked, the boy ever so slightly stalling a moment which gave AJ the open to give one large shove. Enough to knock the boy's balance. Sending him and John B back into the water.

"Yes!" Cleo cheered as she lowered AJ off her shoulders, both girls making their own handshake up.

AJ swam over to where Pope was, watching in amusement as Sarah got onto Kiara's shoulders, going against JJ and John B. "okay, three two-" The two pairs started and Pope scoffed. "I didn't even say one" He let out and AJ laughed lightly.

"I don't think we thought this through" Cleo announced, the girl looking back to the wet beach. "we're gonna freeze with wet clothes later"

"That's a later us problem" AJ shrugged it off, laughing when she saw Sarah shove John B off JJ's shoulder.

"Okay it's official, you guys are the worst at chicken" Kiara announced and AJ agreed, swimming over. She lowered herself into the water so Cleo could get on her shoulders.

"you're going down pretty girl" AJ winked at Sarah and she shook her head.

"not gonna work on me" She announced and AJ sighed.

"fine, ill up it. don't worry"

"just start" Pope lazily let out, not wanting to count down again.

AJ spent the round making silly faces at Sarah, making the girl laugh. AJ smiled to herself when Sarah's balance shifted a bit. It didn't send Kiara off her shoulders, but it proved it worked.

"oh my god, Pope!" Sarah's concerned voice made AJ's brows furrow, and the girl turned to find him perfectly fine in the water. She should have seen what happened next coming.

Cleo surfaced from the water and wiped her hair from her face. "seriously?" Her comment was directed at Sarah and the girl playfully shrugged.

"just some friendly competition sweets" Sarah returned the wink to AJ from earlier.

DAY THIRTY-TWO

The sun was high in the sky, the warmth spreading to every inch of the deserted island. AJ was sweltering, laying under the shade as she took a break. The others were spread around, doing their own thing.

The sand being kicked at her feet made her open her eyes, staring up at the person who did it. JJ's blue eyes meet hers. "what do you want?" AJ let out, shutting her eyes again.

"why are you all alone?" JJ asked, taking a spot on the warm sand next to her. He played lightly with the sand, letting it coat his hands.

"relaxing." Was all that left the girl's mouth, the blonde enjoying the previous silence.

"yeah, this is so much better than whatever is happening in the OBX" JJ's statement made AJ open her eyes, the girl looking over to him. "it's simple"

"I can't say I envy any other life as much as this" Her words slowed as she took a breath. "except maybe one where my mother is still alive and where my brother isn't dead or screwed up as much as he is now"

"Well, there is no easier life than this. Nothing better than paradise" He leaned back, basking in the cool shade.

"I have to agree that this is better, way better than what's waiting for us in OBX. For all I know, our names are out there and dcfs is looking for me now"

"I mean, we'd figure it out. But we won't have to. We're where we're meant to be"

"you think?" AJ asked, sitting up now.

"yeah, I do" With JJ's words AJ looked around the beach, the pogues spread around, each with smiles on their faces. Nothing could beat this. At least nothing actually possible.

"Yeah, I think you're right"

DAY THIRTY-SEVEN

"Okay, JJ would you rather never smoke weed again or never surf again?" AJ asked as the group sat around the fire. The sun was set and they were all eating some fish he and Kiara had caught fresh.

"that is the most cruel thing someone has ever said" He scoffed and AJ laughed.

"okay fine, fine. would you rather have only eight toes or only eight fingers?"

"hmm" He paused, looking at his hands for a moment. "eight toes, I'd probably make a few bucks selling pics" The group laughed at his answer.

"Oh, I got one" Kiara let out, clearing her throat and looking to Sarah. "would you rather have nipples for eyes or eyes for nipples?"

"What?" AJ let out, a laugh lacing her question.

"eyes for nipples, again, making money selling pics, next" JJ answered.

"uh, would you rather be born without elbows or without knees?" John B asked, taking a bite from his food.

"so like a Barbie doll upper body or lower?" AJ asked, looking over to the boy.

"yeah I guess"

"no elbows. At least I'd be able to sit and walk normal, just can't bend my arms" AJ answered, the others agreeing.

"would you rather be a sea creature or airborne?" Pope asked, leaning forward and warming his hands on the fire.

"uh, flying is pretty cool so airborne" Sarah answered.

"Plus you could just fly everywhere" Cleo added.

"be able to control animals or see into the future?" JJ posed the question and AJ smiled.

"animals, they could just get me things ya know. I'm, not that so raven"

"Oh, I got one" AJ announced. "Would you rather be someone's pet goldfish or be a wild lizard?" AJ looked at JJ and he shook his head.

"easy goldfish, next" JJ answered

"wait, why goldfish?" Cleo questioned.

"Because I'd get fed"

"but you'd be stupid." AJ pointed out

"that's not new" John B let out and AJ covered her mouth to stop herself from laughing.

DAY FORTY-ONE

The pogues were off in the water as the sun set, and AJ decided to sit back by the fire by herself. She had a lot on her mind, and her nightmares were only getting worse. It felt like every time she shut her eyes she could see Ward killing her mom.

It was getting bad enough that she was getting less sleep every night. She was sure it had to be evident somewhere on her but none of the pogues had brought it up.

"Hey, are you doing all right?" Pope asked, as if reading her mind. The boy was still wet from the water as he sat next to her, the fire warming his body.

"Yeah, I'm fine" She nodded, using a stick to poke around the embers of the fire.

"Are you sure?" He asked and she nodded again, not wanting to get into it.

"you know, out of all the super childish games we've played on the island so far. I kind of can't believe we haven't done shadow puppets" Pope voiced.

"shadow puppets?" AJ questioned, looking over amusedly at the boy next to her. Her worries vanished from her mind.

"Yeah, you know like, this" He used the shadow on the rocks from the fire to do a dog.

"come on, you can do better than that" AJ laughed, encouraging the boy to do more.

"I can do a frog" He let out, moving his hands as AJ watched the rocks.

"oh my god, that's pretty good" She laughed. "here, guess this one" The girl used her hand to make a new shadow.

"uh, deer?" Pope guessed and AJ nodded, a genuine smile spread across her face.

"my mom used to do these all the time when I was younger. We lived in a really bad part of Florida when I was five or six and when it got really bad at night she'd lay in mine and Logan's bed with us so we wouldn't hear what was happening outside" AJ opened up, her smile faltering just slightly.

"you ever just start regretting things you've done or said?" AJ changed the topic, her eyes back on the fire.

"yeah, especially with us being stranded here. I've been regretting a lot of things"

"like the gold hunt?" AJ looked at the boy as she asked the question.

"no" He shook his head. "well, sort of. Before John B and Sarah went missing at the end of summer I said and did some things I wish I hadn't" Pope admitted. AJ was curious to hear what it was but wasn't going to push the boy.

"I fought a lot with my mom before she died, I can't even fucking remember what they were about. That's how insignificant they were. And I can't even, I can't apologize." AJ felt hot tears brimming in her eyes and she tilted her head back to stop them from falling.

"I can't believe I did some of the things I did while I was fighting with my parents. And I can and I have apologized for them, I can't imagine what it feels like to not be able to. I'm really sorry Amelia" The use of her name made the tears drop like rainfall.

He didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her. She reciprocated the hug immediately, her arms falling around him as she tried to stop crying. "I'm so so sorry" He whispered, the boy rubbing circles on her back. It was unlike the time in the store. She let him comfort her, not pulling back or cowering away.

When they fell asleep that night she slept closer to him. His presence brought comfort to her, and for the first night in over a month, she slept with no nightmares

(NOTES)

next chapter is the official
intro of season three!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

716K 19.8K 51
If I'm on fire, you'll be made of ashes too. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 1 FIRST DRAFT βΈ» 05/08/20 β†’ 07/17/20 EDITED βΈ» 02/09/23 β†’ 04/19/23 #1st in...
7.1K 418 18
🏝️ ❛ take you there every night, say that it's only right ❜ ΙͺΙ΄ ᴑʜΙͺα΄„Κœ: marella river, kook princess, blocked out any memories she had shared with the...
50.2K 722 51
discontinued "We're the Pogue's and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time." fem oc x jj maybank SEASON 1 started: 08/02/21 ...
69.6K 2.9K 16
-π–πŽπ‘π“π‡π˜ πŽπ… π˜πŽπ” ᡏⁱᡃʳᡃ αΆœα΅ƒΚ³Κ³α΅‰Κ³α΅ƒ 'π™π™π™šπ™§π™š'𝙨 π™£π™€π™©π™π™žπ™£π™œ 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙬𝙀𝙣'...