The Mafiosa's Thorn

By Carlos_G_Peralta

Ever since her husband's tragic passing, Bianca Petali has continued his legacy as boss of the Petali Organiz... More

Author Notes and Mini Reviews
Shakedown
Meeting Pt 1
Meeting Pt 2
Rafael
Fate
A Lit Fuse
Run & Hide
End of A Barrel
Orchidea's Home
Tension
Game
Opportunity
Spar
Unravel
Rattle
Punish
Heartbreak
Decisions
Telephone Game
Date
Consequence
Relief & Tense
Therapy
Dress Up
Concrete
Auction
Spill
Regain
Reward
Steaming
Council
Richie
Sopresa
Fall
Falling
Garner
Rock Bottom
Rising
Fiance
Xianmao
Red
Phoenix
Chills
Declaration
A Moment of Peace
Final Night Pt 1
Final Night Pt 2
Aftermath
Dungeon
Thanksgiving
Fresh Start
Epilogue

Duel

17 6 48
By Carlos_G_Peralta

New York, 11am

Ring......Ring.... "Hello?"

Bianca slowly exhales. "Hi, Maria. Is..Is Isabella there?"

"Just a minute. I will pass her the phone."

While the mafia queen waits, she resists the urge from tapping her right heel on the floor. She almost laughs that her late husband's mistress and her are getting along. Deep down, she's thankful that Maria is watching over her daughter.

"Here she is, Bianca. Take your time."

"Thanks."

Silence greets her. The mob boss takes the first leap.

"You have every right to be mad at me. I lied to you. I thought about our talk...I signed paperwork transferring leadership to Luis. I'm leaving the things you abhor to him. I want to just enjoy my time with you, Miguel, and the new child I want to adopt. I will be only involved in legitimate work. If something happens to me today......just live out the life you want to have.

I love you, Isabella. You will always be my greatest pride."

She allows her daughter time to process what could be her final words. 

Sniffle. "Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for what I said. You were excited to be a mom again."

She smiles. "Apology accepted."

"I...have to go now."

"Okay. Be safe."

The call disconnects. A moment of relief washes through the current mob boss. If things fall apart, at least they spoke.

She turns right into Miguel's arms. His charcoal suit presses against her violet sequin dress. His embrace pulling her deeper. She holds him in place to hear his heart. A melody that provides her more relief.

He lifts her chin to gaze into her emeralds. "That won't be the last time you two speak. I promise you that."

Bianca smiles at her wonderful husband. "I'm so glad you're with me."

"As am I. I wouldn't change how we met. Plus....you didn't kill that cactus."

A laugh escapes her plump lips. "Not yet."

"If you do, I will get you another one."

"Grazie, mi segador (Thank you, my harvester)."

"De nada, mi hermosa flor (You're welcome, my beautiful flower)."

He kisses her forehead before meeting with her lips. Time almost freezes for the newlyweds. Both thinking about their futures.

Miguel isn't worried. He thinks about opening his own flower shop while raising the children they will have together.

Bianca thinks of her daughter coming back into the fold. Their family getting bigger with the adopted children they will have. She breaks the kiss to welcome the new life awaiting them.

The harsh freezing emeralds of her past captivate El Segador.

She pulls on his red tie to follow her. "Let's kill that bitch."

.....

From Giuseppe's Bakery down to Toretto's Furniture Store, a loud silence occupies them. Their mouths don't say a word, but their minds ask questions.

"What if Signora Orchidea loses? What would Xianmao do to us? If Signora wins, will things remain the same?"

Eyes are on the clock as it almost reaches noon. Word of victory will spread like wildfire, changing both the Triad and the Petali Organization forever.

Mr. Toretto stops his trembling hands from yanking off the aggravating wall clock.

"Daddy? Are you okay?"

He wraps his arms around Gia, holding her close to his heart. "Let's watch your favorite show to pass the time."

He scoops her up into his arms and walks to the backroom where a TV rests on a table. After turning it on, he presses the volume to maximum to drown out the fear. His daughter's laughter is ebbing away at the mountain of stress inside him.

.....

The door to the Irish pub opens. The murmurs die from seeing Signora Orchidea, an unmasked El Segador, Luis, Marco, and Diego walk inside. The mafia queen carries a bouquet of white lilies for the special receiver.

Her mauve cloak trails across the wooden floor as they look around.

What was supposed to be a usually busy Saturday looks like a funeral. Chairs and tables have been cleared. The Victorian style bar side is unlit to focus lighting on the open space. Vladimir stands in the middle of the bar to act as a fair judge. A radio transmitter sits next by his right hand to spread the news.

Each head of the board is there along with their trusted associates to witness this life-changing event. Madame Xianmao stands next to Jia who's wearing a red and black hanfu. The red skirt stops at her ankles. Her raven hair done in a elegant bun with gold chains on top.

Behind her is a sharp dressed Jian who's bandaged up from his secret task of the previous night. Fu stands on his right side while Hei is making repeated calls to a dead Eyun as an act. Yuxan stands behind his boss with an arrogant smile that El Segador will die today.

The Panda spits venom through her eyes at Orchidea. In China, bringing white lilies is a customary gift meant for a funeral.

Bianca responds back with a frost-killing smile. 

Lord Kelpie walks over to her group but stops himself from hugging his beloved colleague.

He offers his hand. A firm shake is exchanged between them. "You look ready, me lass. And congrats on your new marriage."

She kisses Miguel on the cheek. "Thank you. And don't worry....it won't be the last of me."

Lord Kelpie kills the smile on his face. He brings over an empty case. "Vlad and I made sure everyone surrendered their weapons. You must do the same."

Bianca places her S&W 19 into the case along with the others. Seamus closes and locks things up with a key he then drops into his suit pocket.

He points at the two red taped lines on the floor. "El Segador, stand right there."

Before he walks over, Miguel exchanges a hug with Diego. "You are the best friend I could ever ask for."

"If you die, you know what I will do."

A nod of understanding. Diego will avenge him if things go haywire.

Miguel Dominguez-Petali pulls his wife into a dip. Her heart races from the sudden movement before settling down. Their lips lock for what seems like the last time before he pulls her up.

His footsteps glide across the floor to the starting point.

Seamus scans around. "Madame Xianmao, where's your participant? If he doesn't show, you need a substitute or else you forfeit a large asset of yours."

The Triad boss fumes from the inside. Her eyes stare daggers at Bianca Petali who's aloof to the situation.

Jia taps her arm. "Nainai, how about I choose our duelist?"

The Panda and her granddaughter have a sidebar conversation with Hei throwing in his two cents in Chinese.

The boss almost stumbles back from their suggestion, but they were able to convince her.

With a heavy exhale, "Jian will be representing me in this duel."

He steps forward and bows to her. "I won't let you down."

Her sheathed cane sword rests on his right shoulder. "Don't forget it's our lives on the line. You better win."

She lets him go. Jian stands facing the legendary death dealer.

From a bar shelf, Vladimir brings down a box marked with four symbols. A teeth-baring horse, a violet orchid, a fire breathing dragon, and a roaring panda head. Each representing the heads of the board.

He opens while turning it around. Two brown single-round twin pistols greet the duelists along with a see through case of ten lead bullets.

Seamus reminds them of the rules. 30 paces away is the starting point. If either miss, it will shorten by ten. At the ten paces spot, headshots are allowed. After each round, if one fails to continue, the duel is over.

Xianmao stomps her cane. "Before you start, I want to give something to Signora Orchidea."

The hosts express confusion.

Yuxan brings out a small metal box and opens it. Joseph Navarro's decayed heart rests inside.

However, Miguel expresses no reaction to Xianmao's surprise. Little did she know that he had overcame his past.

Bianca throws the bouquet at the Panda's feet. "Just thought I would help with your headstone."

The Triad boss pushes it away with her cane. "I won't need them." 

The men take their respective pistols and load them up with one bullet each. They walk 30 paces away from each other with everyone on the sidelines. Jia clutches her arm tightly, hoping things will be alright.

They stop at their positions and turn. Seamus shouts fire!

Bang! Bang!

Their shots graze the other's shoulder. Blood stains their white shirts, but they can still go. The distance shortens while they reload. They raise their weapons.

"FIRE!"

Bang! Bang!

Miguel winces from the shot to his ribs. Bianca covers her mouth. Tears threaten to leave her eyes.

Jian grunts from the chest wound. Close to the heart but missing it. If it wasn't a ploy, Miguel could have ended him right there.

Jia's lips quiver for her sibling. 

"Can you both continue?" Lord Vmey asks.

The duelists nod while waking to the ten pace line. The danger zone.

Miguel's dark chocolate eyes harden to play up the act. Jian glares back at him with anger directed for someone else.

Before Seamus could yell fire, Miguel stumbles to a kneeling position. Sharp, shallow breaths leave his lips as he fights to stand back up.

His body sways to and fro with Jian looking on.

Xianmao's cane hurries over to see the legendary El Segador on his knees. "Finish him, Jian!"

"He has to raise his gun first."

"Enough is enough. Hand me the pistol. I will finish them both off."

Seamus and Vlad glance at each other before looking at Bianca for her approval. Her nod validates the decision. Jian hands the Triad boss his pistol.

She cocks the gun and aims at Miguel's head. 

"Aim! Fire!"

The gun clicks but nothing comes out of the Panda's pistol. A gun clicks from behind her head.

Bang!

A 3D printed gun went off. A hole bursts through the head of the Triad boss. Her cane accompanies her falling body to the floor. Everyone else is in shock that Jian had pulled the trigger.

Yuxan charges at the young man, but Miguel fires his round at the temple. The large man falls next to his boss. Dying breaths lift up to the ceiling. Jia shakes from witnessing the sudden death of their grandmother.

Seamus storms forward. "WHAT THE FECK IS GOING ON?!"

Vlad hops over the bar stand for an explanation.

"We planned this from the start," Jian explains. "We will use the loophole of both of us surrendering. Jia is now in charge of the Triad."

Fu gives her hand a gentle squeeze. She focuses her eyes on her brother. "As per the contract, I promote Jian to my right-hand and therefore passing leadership effective immediately."

Bianca's heels click forward. "Not only that, but Luis will be taking over my role as of today. I'm retiring."

Lords Kelpie and Vmey are flabbergasted. They approach the former mob boss who shows them the paperwork. 

While Jian and Miguel receive medical attention, whispers escalate to declarations. Mr. Toretto's backdoor is knocking before an employee calls for him. He leaves his daughter and his feet shuffle from the news. Orchidea's retirement while Luis takes over the operations. He wonders how the new mob boss will treat him.

Seamus embraces Bianca tightly. "I will miss your entrances."

"Oh, behave, you pervert."

"Seriously, I wish you the best. Give Isabella my regards."

Vladimir shakes hands with her. "I'm proud of the work you put in so far. You earned your retirement."

"I will miss you too."

She attends to her husband who's being helped by Diego.

"And I just recovered from the prior injury."

"It was time for rest anyway," she smiles before locking lips with him. "Let's go home."

The retired mob boss and harvester walk arm in arm to embrace their new lives.

Jia gently embraces her sibling with tears streaming down her face. "It worked. It worked."

He rubs her back. "You're now free, little hare. Free to go wherever you want."

He slowly drifts away to greet Seamus. Lord Kelpie gives him a firm handshake.

"Congratulations, Lord Fenghuang (Phoenix). Once you are well, I will send the Board paperwork for a clean transition."

"Thank you."

"I'm still going to call you Laddie Jian."

He chuckles but stops from the pain. "I will allow it."

The Triad celebrates their new leader later that night. Fu, Hei, and Jian's men raise toasts of prosperity to Lord Phoenix. The new boss smiles, but sadness sat underneath it.

Jia decided to move her and Raven out of the state to get away from the Triad business. He embraces the promise she made: I will see you again, Tortoise. Just give me time to breathe.

His sip of rice wine complements his rise to success. Overcoming his abuse. He has no idea what will happen next, but he's much happier than he's ever been. Being the new boss was second only to his sister's freedom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

273K 4.4K 31
Bianca Romano, a regular 19 year old college student studying to become a nurse, working two jobs to care for her disabled mother. Giancarlo Bartolo...
12.5K 312 29
• • • Stefano Daniele Magini - young businessman, billionaire, and leader of the Italian Mafia. He is a strong, smart, hot, egoistic, cold, cheeky m...
11K 402 37
#10 in Mafia Romance- 10/11/21 #8 in Italian Mafia - 5/1/22 Verena Di Genova is the daughter of the Italian mafia, coming from a tragic past she had...
31K 970 45
Violet Iris Rowan, 25, grew up in a poor neighborhood in New York, with her sister and mom. Her mother worked multiple jobs to keep a roof over her d...