Phase |Steve Rogers|

By smaptainxshmerica

"Now you see me... now you don't" "I am very much alive." When Sabrina Thompson finally agrees to help S.H.I... More

INTRODUCTION
ACT ONE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
ACT TWO
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
ACT THREE
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
ACT FOUR
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
ACT FIVE
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
ACT SIX
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-ONE
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FOUR
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
BONUS CHAPTER: ONE
BONUS CHAPTER: TWO
BONUS CHAPTER: THREE
BONUS CHAPTER: FOUR
BONUS CHAPTER: FIVE
BONUS CHAPTER: SIX
THE SEQUEL: NEW BEGINNINGS
THE END

FORTY-FOUR

776 17 30
By smaptainxshmerica

Once Tony figured out that Steve and Sabrina were telling the truth, he landed onto the raft where Secretary Ross and the others are at.

"So? You got the files? Let's reroute the satellites, start facial scanning for this Zemo guy," Tony says walking towards Ross.

Ross scoffs, "You seriously think I'm gonna listen to you after that fiasco in Leipzig? You're lucky you're not in one of these cells. Ross looks at Tony sternly and leads on through a thick, steel security door. Soldiers stand guard in an operations room. Tony looks at a surveillance screen. it shows Wanda, sitting hunched and bedraggled in a cramped prison cell. Tony's eyes widen at the sight. 

Another security door opens. Tony walks into a chamber surrounded by large, bared windows. Beyond the windows are a number of prison cells. Tony takes in his surroundings. Clint, Scott, Wanda, Sam, and Hallie locked behind bars.

"The Futurist, gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you, whether your like it or not," Clint sarcastically starts clapping.

Tony sighs, "Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'll put you here. Come on."

Clint scoffs, "Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony."

Tony frowns as he gestures around him, "Yeah, but not some super-max floating ocean pokey. You know, this place is for maniacs. This is a place for..."

"Criminals?" Clint finishes for him as he stands up. "Criminals, Tony. Think that's the word you're looking for. Right? That didn't used to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda. Or Hallie. But here we are. Not to mention someone from your team is the one who almost got Sabrina and Rhodey killed. "

"Because you broke the law," Tony points out as he glares at Clint.

"Yeah," Clint scoffs.

"I didn't make you," Tony states.

"La, la, la, la, la..." Clint drones out Tony's voice.

Tony shakes his head, "You read it, you broke it."

"La, la, la, la la..." Clint goes on.

Tony leans closer to the glass before walking away, "Alright, you're all grown up, you got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think about them before you chose the wrong side?"

Clint slams his hands against the glass, "You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it."

Tony walks past Scott, "Hank Pym always said, you never can trust a Stark."

"Who are you?" Tony asks making Scott shake his head. "Come on, man."

Tony walks in between Sam and Hallie's cells. "How's Rhodes? How's Sabrina?" Sam asks as Hallie stands up and looks at Tony.

"They're flying them to Columbia Medical tomorrow. So . . . fingers cross," Tony sighs as he looks at Hallie. "Sabrina's in critical condition but she'll live. She's... uh, currently in a coma right now. I called her family and Jackson and they have a flight tomorrow and Jackson is driving down tomorrow morning. They should be at Columbia Medical when Sabrina arrives."

Tears fill Hallie's eyes, "No..." Sam drops his head down as he paces. 

Tony looks back at Sam, "What do you need? They feed you yet?"

Sam raises his eyebrows, "You're the good cop now?"

"I'm just the guy who needs to know where Steve went," Tony says.

Sam scoffs, "Well, you better go get a bad cop, because you're gonna have to go Mark Fuhrman on my ass to get information out of me."

Tony uses his 'watch' and hacks into the AV system, "Oh, I just knocked the 'A' out of their 'AV'. We got about 30 seconds before they realize it's not their equipment."

Sam raises his eyebrows as Tony pulls up a holographic image of Doctor Broussard, "Just look. Because that is the fellow who was supposed to interrogate Barnes. Clearly, I made a mistake. Sam, I was wrong."

"That's a first," Sam says shocked at Tony admitting he was wrong.

"Cap is definitely off the reservation but he's about to need all the help he can get. We don't know each other very well. You don't have to..." Tony trails off but Sam cuts him off shaking his head.

"Hey, it's alright," Sam says as Tony leans in closer as Sam sighs and looks at him uneasy. " Look, I'll tell you... but you have to go alone and as a friend."

"Easy," Tony says as Sam tells him the location and starts to head out.

Hallie calls out, "Please take care of Sabrina when she wakes up and tell her that I miss her already."

Tony nods as he leaves and starts to head towards the chopper.

"Stark? Did he give you anything on Rogers?" Ross asks as Tony walks past him.

"Nope. Told me to go to hell. I'm going back to the compound instead, but you can call me anytime. I'll put you on hold, I like to watch the line blink," Tony says as he looks at Ross and smiles before closing the door.

Sitting in the chopper Tony un-clips the sling holding his left arm. He cradles his arm in his hand for a moment. He slowly reaches out the injured arm and presses a button on a panel. The Iron Man Suit wraps itself around Tony, a hatch opens and he flies out of the chopper as Iron Man. He speeds through dark clouds. Close behind T'Challa is at the controls of a Quinjet.

Steve brings his Quinjet into land besides Zemo's caterpillar truck on the remote icy mountain top. The jet's wings fold up beside the fuselage. On board Bucky pulls out rack of guns labeled 'Romanoff'. He takes a light machine gun. Bucky and Steve stand together, waiting for the exit ramp to descend.

Steve looks at Bucky, "You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?"

Bucky smiles, "Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?"

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead," Steve recalls.

Bucky chuckles, "What was her name again?"

"Dolores. You called her Doll," Steve replies.

Bucky shakes his head, "She's gotta be a hundred years old right now."

"So are we, pal," Steve retorts as he clamps his hand on Bucky's shoulder.

Bucky gives him a sad smile as he know Steve is trying to distract himself by recalling old memories. 

Now wearing his helmet Steve walks with Bucky up to the entrance set in rock. The door is still open. "He can't have been here more than a few hours."

Bucky sighs, "Long enough to wake them up."

Steve leads them into the cast bunker. They travel down into the depths inside a caged elevator. it stops in the bowls of the bunker, doors slide open. Steve nods to Bucky and heaves up the cage door. Bucky readies his machine gun and they walk along a corridor, keeping close to a wall. Bucky looks into an alcove full of junk then he and Steve move on up some stairs. At the sound of a loud thud they spin around, aiming down the corridor.  "You ready?" Steve asks.

"Yeah," Bucky replies as they look who is trying to enter. Double doors part, forced open by Tony. Steve stares in surprise. Tony walks towards Steve and Bucky and retracts the suit's helmet.

"You seem a little defensive," Tony says putting his arms up as Bucky keeps his gun up while Steve walks to meet Tony with his shield covering his body.

"It's been a long day," Steve mutters.

"At ease, Soldier. I'm not currently after you," Tony says making Steve put his shield down.

"Then why are you here?" Steve asks.

Tony sighs, "Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."

"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork," Steve says. "It's good to see you Tony."

"You too, Cap," Tony says before he looks at Bucky who still has his gun aimed at Tony. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..." Steve signs Bucky to lower his weapon and he does. Steve looks at Tony and he sighs.

"I know what you're about to ask and she's... alive," Tony says making Steve frown at Tony's pause.

"But?" Steve asks worried.

Tony looks down, "Steve... she's in a coma. She has a fractured spine, broken ribs, head trauma. When she wakes up... there's a chance she might not be the same."

Steve freezes as he takes in Tony's words. Steve shakes his head looking down, "This is my fault... she's hurt because of me. If I would've just done this by myself-"

Tony cuts him off, "No... no. It's my fault. I should've tried to listen..."

"All we can do is complete this mission right now... if not. This would've been for nothing," Tony says and Steve nods. All Steve can do now is finish what they started. The three of them cautiously walk along a corridor. T'Challa in his Black Panther Suit is hiding around a corner, watching them. With his helmet and face plate reengaged Tony leads Steve and Bucky towards the enormous chamber with the capsules standing in it.

"I got heat signatures," Tony says.

"How many," Steve asks as they make their way through.

"Uh, one," Tony frowns in confusion.

As they enter the vast chamber the lights come on. Hazy, yellow mist descends within the capsules. As well as Josef, each one contains an enhanced soldier from the 1991 experiment. Steve and the others look around, bewildered.

Suddenly, Zemo speaks out through the speakers, "If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." All of the enhanced soldiers have been shot in the head. Bucky stares at Josef's corpse. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"What the hell?" Bucky mutters looking around.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They brought you here," Zemo says as he appears in a control room. Steve hurls his shield but it flies back. "Please, Captain. The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets."

"I'm betting I could beat that," Tony says getting ready to blast it.

Zemo smirks, "Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark. Given time. But then you'd never know why you came."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve asks angry. All of this, and they're dead. Internally kicks himself as he should've went back to Sabrina.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you. I followed you. But now that you're standing here, I just realized... there's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw," Zemo says staring at Steve who is near the glass glaring at the man.

"You're Sokovian. Is that what this is about?" Steve asks.

Zemo shakes his head, "Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise."

Steve studies Zemo before asking, "You lost someone?"

He looks grave, clicks his tongue, "I've lost everyone. And so will you."

He plays surveillance footage from December 16th 1991. Steve steps over to the screen. "An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumples from within? That's dead... forever."

Tony stares at the screen of a secluded road and the date, December 16 1991. His eyes rove, anxiously. "I know that road. What is this?"

The video plays. That car that the Winter Soldier forced off the road crashes into a tree. Tony watches intently as the Winter Soldier rides up and gets off his motorbike. Steve watches Tony's increasing unease. The driver lies on the ground beside the car. It's Tony's father, Howard. Tony's eyes start to water as he realizes what's happening. Tony glares at Bucky. In the video the Winter Soldier pounds Howard hard in the face with his metal fist killing him. As Tony's mother is yelling for him. In grief Tony closes his eyes for a moment. On screen his father slumps dead. The Winter Soldier puts him in the driver's seat with his face against the steering wheel. Tony stares in horror. Maria's in the passenger seat with blood streaked down her face. The Winter Soldier walks around and grips her throat. Expressionless he strangles Maria. Tony watches the screen stunned. The Winter Soldier walks up and aims a gun at the surveillance camera.

Steve watches Tony anxiously. Tony lunges towards Bucky, Steve stops him. "Tony, Tony."

Consumed with grief and tears glistening in his eyes he turns and looks at Steve, "Did you know?"

"I didn't know it was him," Steve replies.

"Don't bullshit me, Rogers! Did you know?" Tony shouts.

Steve sighs as he looks Tony in the eyes, "Yes." Betrayal is all Tony felt.

A/N: heh. This isn't good at all... Steve why didn't you just tell Tony the truth beforehanddddd.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.3K 1.4K 44
From the time she can remember she was trained, beaten, and worked to the breaking point. But when an unknown group saves her and the winter soldier...
105K 3.1K 43
We could have had it all You're gonna wish you never had met me Welcome to my Steve Rogers x OC story! I hope you enjoy it.
275K 7.5K 40
Hydra, an organization founded on the belief that people could not be trusted with their own freedom, had no regard for human life. One day, when a s...
136K 4.1K 75
When Peter is out on patrol, he comes across a girl who has unique abilities similar to himself. Rosa Woods has been through a lot in her life so wh...