Army Goddess

By Profiler2610

Major Angela Karev, also known as Dr. Angela Karev, is coming home for good. Ever since she was 19, she had b... More

Cast (midS7-S10)
Chapter 1: Home
Chapter 2: Torres
Chapter 3: Wedding Fun
Chapter 4: Protocols
update: an
Chapter 5: Trauma
Chapter 6: 1st Years, Honestly
Chapter 7: Appy or Cardio?
Chapter 8: Boys Night
Chapter 9: Dating?
Chapter 10: Coq au Vin
Chapter 11: Play Ball
Chapter 12: Heart in a Box
Chapter 13: Henry
Chapter 14: Aftermath of Henry
Chapter 15: Horrible Torture
Chapter 16: Karev vs Karev
Chapter 17: Valentine's
Chapter 18: Man Brain
Chapter 19: Stupid Brother
Chapter 20: Hearts
Chapter 21: Chief Sloan
Chapter 22: Interviews
Chapter 23: The Question
Chapter 24: Decisions
Chapter 25: News
Chapter 26: Goodbye Mark Sloan
Chapter 27: Surge
Chapter 28: Settlement?
Chapter 29: Food List
Chapter 30: Zola
Chapter 31: Statements
Chapter 32: Happens for a Reason
Chapter 33: NICU
Chapter 34: Guilt-Trip
Chapter 35: Gasoline
Chapter 36: Winning
Chapter 37: Waves
Chapter 38: Karev-Sloan
Chapter 39: Quitting
Chapter 40: Buying
Chapter 41: Domino-Transplant
Chapter 42: LODOX
Chapter 43: Fight
Chapter 45: Offer
Chapter 46: Leaving?
Chapter 47: Storm Part 1
Chapter 48: Storm Part 2
Chapter 49: Leaving
Chapter 50: Jimmy
Chapter 51: Switzerland
Chapter 52: Serving
Chapter 53: Back for Good

Chapter 44: War

1.8K 78 10
By Profiler2610

Season 9, Episode 20

Angela rocks Everett as she walks around her apartment, talking to Alex, "I should ask Bailey to map me. I want to see if I have any of the markers for schizophrenia. I want to know if Everett will have a life like you that leads to shoplifting and other crimes my baby is too innocent to ever commit."

"Okay, I wouldn't have needed to shoplift if you'd not have gotten detention that day," Alex argues, flipping through the channels on Angela's TV.

"Still, I want to know if I'm gonna turn out like mom and if Everett will turn into," Angela fake shivers in fear, "You."

"Everett would be lucky to be like me, isn't that right buddy?" Alex stands up, taking his nephew, "Sure, I also didn't pass my boards, one sister abandoned me for the army and the other was almost killed by our schizophrenic brother, my dad bear me until he abandoned us and my mom is crazy, my wife left me in a note and now I have trouble committing to anyone....maybe he doesn't want to be like me," Alex shakes his head, handing Everett back to Angela.

Angela picks up her phone to email Bailey, "I'm gonna schedule a test with Bailey."

"Yeah, you should get that done as soon as possible."

♤♤♤♤

Angela stands with April, Owen, Webber, Callie and Arizona as they look through items they are giving the visiting doctors from Syria while April explains what they are, "Swag bags for the Syrians. Some, um, sweatshirts and baseball caps, post-its. Ooh, really cool penlights."

Arizona looks at the penlight as April clicks it on, "Ooh, those are nice."

"You're sending post-its to Syria?" Webber asks.

"Yeah, those aren't as important there as they apparently are to some people here," Angela comments, putting on a baseball cap, "Should I get one of these from the gift shop?"

Arizona shakes her head, "Mark had one that he left at Callie and I's apartment somewhere. You can have that one. These hats are so overpriced."

Owen looks to Webber, "Angie and I are working with Doctors Aid International. We've flown in two Syrian doctors. They're general practitioners, but now with the war, they've been recruited to staff the field hospitals. They're getting advanced trauma training with Seattle Pres, and they're here for a crash course in basic surgical skills."

Angela nods, picking up a list of surgeries they need to teach, "They need to learn how to surgeries quick and dirty."

Webber looks to Arizona, "They roped you in? Which must mean that..."

"Yeah," Arizona looks down, "Yeah, they're losing a lot of kids."

"Godspeed," Webber sighs.

"All right, let's get these with the boxes of supplies we're sending with them," Owen says.

"Ah, so Bailey got her genome thing funded. You two got this thing funded. I need to get my cartilage project bankrolled while we still got bank," Callie comments, leaving.

Edwards heads into the room, holding a chart out to Owen, "Dr. Hunt? Dr. Avery's recommendation on your burn patient."

As Owen looks over the recommendation, April waves Edwards over, "Um, have you rounded on Matthew Taylor yet? He was one of Avery's patients yesterday."

Edwards crosses her arms as she explains, "He was kept overnight for observations, they were worried about a concussion. He'll probably leave this afternoon. I think his mom's coming to get him."

"Tell Avery that's fine. Ready?" Owen looks to the group.

"Yeah."

They move out as April continues to question Edwards.

♤♤♤♤

Owen, Angela, Arizona and April move the trays around in the lab as they talk with the Syrian doctors, "Okay, we're going to try to replicate your circumstances in the field hospital. The most important skills you need in a wartime situation is controlling bleeding."

Angela takes over, "Normally we'd use lasers and argon beam coagulators, but as you can see, for now, we're only using the contents of this tray."

One of the men speaks in his native language before Arizona asks, "Is something wrong?"

"Uh, we, um, before had all of these things, but recently the supply trucks cannot reach us, and the electricity is unreliable, so many of our instruments, we-we cannot use so if you want to, um, replicate our circumstances, we may need to adjust this slightly."

"Please," Owen nods, gesturing, "We're here to make this work for you."

The doctor nods before taking a bunch of supplies off the tray, "This is more right."

"Also," The other doctors shuts off all the lights before holding a penlight up, "Now we go."

"We may need to adjust a few of our methods," Angela tells Owen, who nods in agreement.

♤♤♤♤

Angela carries the box of supplies the Syrians picked up and leads Owen, April and Arizona into the lab room where Callie, Jackson, Alex, Webber, Meredith and Cristina have gathered, "Sorry we had to rearrange your schedules, but this is important. We've got two Syrian doctors here. They used to be GPs, but now they're operating in a field hospital in a war zone."

Owen picks up where she left off, "We were planning on teaching them surgical procedures they could do with limited resources, but it turns out they have way less to work with than we anticipated."

"Just give them more stuff," Alex suggests.

"Thank you, my genius brother, we didn't think of that," Angela deadpans.

Webber explains in a better manner, "When it runs out in two weeks,  they'll be right back where. they started. They want to help them function with what they know they have."

Angela sets the box down in front of her, "Which is this. So, we need to be able to do the procedures on this list using only what is in this box."

The surgeons each take a copy of the list, Cristina instantly shaking her head, "Are you kidding me? There's no way."

"Come on, Yang. Be creative and brilliant," Angela urges. 

♤♤♤♤

"Okay, so they can debride the wounds with a basic instrument set, but now they're faced with a huge risk of infection," Callie says as she, Webber, Jackson and April work on a few of the problems while Cristina, Derek and Meredith work behind them at a separate table. 

"Well, I guess wound vacs are out of the question then."

"You'd be right, sir," Angela nods at Jackson.

"Simple wet-to-dry dressings might work?" April suggests.

Angela shakes her head, "No, those would have to be changed out three times a day. They would use their entire gauze supply with one patient."

Webber thinks for a moment before looking to Callie, who was standing right next to him, "Sugar."

She side-eyes him, "Excuse me?"

He explains no more, "It's not in the box, but they may have it around. It's an osmotic dressing that allows you to avoid multiple dressing changes."

Angela nods, turning to April, "Go find out if they still have sugar."

"Does anybody have any betadine?" Cristina asks from the back.

"I just have bleach," Jackson says.

"Yeah, that'll work," Derek nods, catching the bleach as Jackson tosses it back to him.

Owen comes into the lab as Angela crosses off a couple things on the board, "So anybody ready to start teaching?"

Callie volunteers, "Uh, me. I can do fracture repairs."

Jackson's next, "Yeah, you can put me down. I got a blade I can use for skin grafting."

"Great, get to the lab," Owen nods before turning to talk to Derek while Angela looks over the board, sighing.

"You okay?" Jackson asks, keeping their conversation private.

"Just remembering field hospitals. They are some of the most depressing places in the world and I don't miss being there but I might get called out soon," Angela sighs, looking over some charts.

Jackson looks to her, "Get called out? You're going back? Even with Everett here?"

Angela shrugs, tapping her pen against the clipboard, "I'm still technically active duty on certain missions. I'm not done until those missions are completed and there are some that have been open for almost five years at this point."

The plastics surgeon nods, "Who's gonna watch Everett if you do get called to finish a mission?'

She faces him, "Alex. Or you. Whichever one of you is open to it or if you two need to switch cares at time, that's fine too. But it's not like it's gonna happen anytime soon."

"I'll take Everett anytime you need me too. He's my little buddy and I've gotta make sure that I'm his favorite uncle, not Karev," Jackson smiles, lighting the mood.

♤♤♤♤

Meredith sits next to Angela, "Who takes care of Everett if something happens to you?"

She snorts, "Nice opening to the conversation, but to answer your question, Alex. My backups are Jackson and Teddy."

"How did you decide? Derek and I are trying to set up our will but we can't decide who Zola and fetus go to," Meredith sighs.

"I suggest look at who values the same things as you and Derek. Or who understands what you want and will follow through. Alex...he's a great uncle and he knows what I want for my kid as does Teddy and even Jackson at this point. Go with your gut and be smart."

♤♤♤♤

Angela sets Everett's carrier on a chair in the conference room as the board meets to discuss the three infected patients that have come in while Owen briefs them, "Bailey said the second patient isn't responding to antibiotics. So she's going to need surgery."

Webber sighs, "I just operated on the third. He's hypotensive and still pretty unstable."

"Once Murphy's identified all her patients for the day, then we'll get them in here," Owen tells them, "Make sure no one else is infected."

"We're gonna need to make some kind of statement," Jackson adds.

Derek agrees, "Before this gets out there on its own."

Bailey enters the conference room, "Hey, uh, the first patient, Joyce Basche, she didn't make it. I thought that the surgery would get rid of the infection, but..."

Angela sighs, rocking the carrier slightly as Everett starts to fuss, "You need to get cultures on the other two right away. We also need to make sure that we're using the right antibiotics  so that this doesn't get out of control."

Murphy and Meredith are in the doorway as Bailey turns around and starts berating Murphy right away, "We just lost Joyce Basche."

"Dr. Bailey."

"No, she's her patient. She should know."

Meredith continues, stopping Bailey, "Leah checked all the charts. She was only on two of the patients that got the infection. She never touched the third one."

 Bailey doesn't see the point, "What, is that supposed to reassure me? A woman just died."

"It couldn't have been Leah. The only doctor who touched all three patients was you," Meredith says, Bailey immediately deflating.

"We're gonna need to get legal down here," Jackson says, turning his chair, stopping at the phone next to the chair holding Everett, leaning down and tickling the baby's tummy causing a sleepy giggle.

Bailey turns to the board, "Wait. Any-anything could've caused this kind of infection."

Angela shakes her head, "We know that, but nothing's certain until there's an investigation-"

"No, um, I gotta go, cause I have two more people-" Bailey cuts her off.

"Dr. Webber will deal with them," Owen tells Bailey.

"Yeah, this is Dr. Avery," Jackson says into the phone, "Get me Joelle Geller from legal down here, conference room two."

"I will...go over my notes," Bailey nods as Webber leaves the room.

Owen shakes his head, "Sit down, Dr. Bailey."

Bailey argues, "No. M-my patients are in danger."

Derek assures her, "Dr. Webber will take care of them."

"I haven't even told Joyce's husband that she didn't make it," Bailey's voice breaks.

Owen motions for Meredith to go as Bailey yells after her, "I know the man! I don't need Grey to tell him that I killed his wife!"

"Dr. Bailey, please sit down," Owen says again as Bailey looks around at the board members.

"What are you saying?"

Angela stands, closing the door, "He's asking you to sit down and let what needs to happen, happen, just like you would ask of us if this was happening with someone else."

♤♤♤♤

AN: I've disappeared a bit but I'm working on slowly catching up. Give me some time.

I think I am gonna have Angela and Everett disappear for a season and go live with Teddy in Germany or something because I am at the point in this story where I just can not wait until Megan shows up or I am able to get her with someone but I still think at this point that Angela is healing from Mark so let me know what you think.

QoC: What did you think of the Season 19 finale?

Thank you for all of your votes and reads and comments!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 111 28
Isla robbins is the little sister of Arizona robbins. She is just as bubbly as her sister. Isla like her sister takes an interest in peds. Isla tries...
17.2K 377 16
A reimagining of Grey's Anatomy season 16 and the farewell to Alex Karev: Your #izzexisendgame fanfiction! When Meredith Grey was at risk of losing h...
84.4K 2.2K 75
You are going to be the new Head of Pediatrics at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital as the current one is stepping down to pursue Fetal Surgery and the ot...
2M 46.4K 197
Being the youngest of 6 kids isn't easy, its especially harder having them all be doctors. Ivy Shepherd is in her 3rd year of residency when her hosp...