Inazuma x Reader - Lost to Et...

By Obahar_

A gender neutral Y/N has ended up in Inazuma after ending up adrift at sea as a result of their fight with Os... More

Synopsis
Chapter 1: Lost and Found
Chapter 2: The Fixer
Chapter 3: Komore Teahouse
Chapter 4: Sweet Persuasion
Chapter 5: Fatui Afoul
Chapter 6: The Sleepover
Chapter 7: Prophesised Demise
Chapter 8: Strictly Business
Chapter 9: To the Shrine
Chapter 10: Cleansed Out
Chapter 11: Stay-At-Home
Chapter 12: Frozen Time
Chapter 13: A New Cause
Chapter 14: Antagonistic
Chapter 15: The Ritual
Chapter 16: Captainship
Chapter 17: First Conflict
Chapter 18: Wife Beater
Chapter 20: Watatsumi Priestess
Chapter 21: War
Chapter 22: Revealing One's Hand
Chapter 23: Tatarigami Exorcism
Chapter 24: Princess Pampering
Chapter 25: Naganohara
Chapter 26: A Sister's Aid
Chapter 27: Homeward-Bound
Chapter 28: Late for Dinner

Chapter 19: A Risky Gambit

1.7K 62 112
By Obahar_

As requested, Kujou Sara had kindly accepted to support me up the many steps required to reach the Grand Narukami Shrine atop the mountain, with my arm draped around her shoulder as I lightly limped up the mountain beside her. But having reached the top finally, I was brought into one of the many buildings up there, presumably the private quarters of the Kitsune Priestess herself, so as to keep me out of sight of those that were returning to work at the Shrine. And it was here that I really delved into the truth of the matter to the enemy General who has helped me so, all the while with the occasional nugget of wisdom or cheeky comment from Yae Miko in-between her sipping tea and offering us more for both our own cups.

Kujou Sara: "I see... So, being this so–called 'Adeptus of Liyue', then that would make you both from Inazuma and not? How fascinating..."

Y/N: "I suppose so, yeah. And... well... I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this sooner. I guess it was a mix of my not thinking it mattered at the time, and that I didn't want to divulge too much too often to too many people, lest I become a target from less... savoury individuals... again."

Kujou Sara: "Do not fret, not for my sake at least, I seldom rarely find myself irritated to such a degree. Frankly, I find it... quite an intriguing concept."

Yae Miko: "Oh, isn't it so? It really is quite the shame that the little Adeptus isn't particularly welcome here on our Narukami Island as of this moment. I would imagine it to be quite beneficial to have my writers meet you; both for your tale as to how you got to this point, travelling from Liyue to Inazuma, but also simply for what you know of the outside world— things that we have been left unaware of, things that would make for fantastic novels indeed."

Kujou Sara: "... *sigh* Speaking of which. That sea beast that you defeated today, you are certain that she is the only follower who may seek revenge upon you?"

Y/N: "To the best of my knowledge, yes. I was never told of anybody else at the very least."

Kujou Sara: "Excellent. I'll admit, I ask you this as I worry that our vigil over our shores is not currently adequate for another attack similar to the one you fended off mostly singlehandedly. Of course, I will not leave it to chance, and I already have some concepts I have been mulling over that would better provide sentry over the sea that surrounds us all. But regardless, knowing that both the evil God and his partner have been sealed away for the next millennia at the very least... it provides some solace, and I would hope it brings you some too, Y/N. Ah, and Guuji Yae? Would it be quite alright for us to expect the Grand Narukami Shrine to oversee the maintenance of the seal for such a time until a more permanent solution is construed?"

Yae Miko: "Hmm... Well, I suppose that won't be for a good thousand years or so at the very minimum, I dare say that we'll have time to hash out the details in that time, as it were. But in the meantime... would either of you care for some more tea?"

Kujou Sara: "No thank you, I am quite alright. I have learnt all that I needed to of this incident. And I fear that knowing much more might result in a conflict of interests... for the time being, at least. I will be returning to Kujou Takayuki now, so as to give my report of the situation to be thus delivered to the Almighty Shogun... I will, of course, leave some specific details out about the individual who handled such a dilemma... for the time being."

Y/N: "Thank you, Kujou Sara. And I'm sorry for the inconvenience I've caused. Heh. I suppose you can take out some of your grievances the next time we meet, which I presume will be upon the battlefield!"

Kujou Sara: "Yes. I might suppose that would be the case."

Kujou Sara then approached me, with the tiniest hint of a smile on her face, that despite being as small as it was... it really lit up her entire self quite some! She had then extended a hand out towards me, that I presumed she wanted me to shake, and so I met her hand halfway with my own outstretched arm. We then shook five times before she released her hold on me and begun to walk out of the Shrine building that I had been given solace in.

Kujou Sara: "And I will expect no mercy from you, regardless of your own illustrious status. So when we do indeed cross blades, give it your all. I would be interested to see how I fare against such an opponent as yourself. Y/N, Guuji Yae, I bid you farewell for now."

The Tengu General had now since made herself scarce as she prepared to make the trip back down the mountain alone, and all that remained was myself and the Kitsune Priestess... and the now empty teapot between us.

Yae Miko: "Hmm... Two opposing forces, one a General and the other but a simple Captain, but when not surrounded by their own... then and only then is it when they allow themselves to see the other as more than just an enemy combatant to be quelled. Heh. A tale oft told, rightfully so, it has quite the appeal with the average reader it would seem. Quite the fan favourite, the 'enemies to lovers' trope. Albeit, rarely handled well... but most fans of the theme seem quite easily entertained by even the worst of pairings— but even so, we must not get complacent and allow our standards to drop, else my carefully developed reputation might come to ruin."

Y/N: "I'm sorry, give me a second, that was a lot to process... Are you... Are you talking about me and Kujou Sara? I think you're seeing things that aren't there. We've simply agreed to something that would mitigate a loss of life for both sides during this deadly war."

Yae Miko: "Oho? You think so? Well then, if you say there is no truth to it, then surely such a topic could be written by my writers, no? After all, nobody will expect that the resulting novel was based off of two individuals such as her and yourself. Hm~"

Y/N: "... Is there some hidden meaning with these books of yours? You seem... oddly invested in them, for a Shrine Priestess that is. Is the Shrine struggling for funding or something...?"

Yae Miko: "Haha... You really are quite humorous. But no. I decided to found Yae Publishing House simply because I wished to read more interesting light novels."

Y/N: "That's all...?"

Yae Miko: "That's all. But, it turns out that seeing frazzled authors scraping the bottom of their barrel in a desperate attempt to get their novels finished is where the real amusement comes from. You wouldn't believe some of the excuses they come up with when they're trying to get a deadline extension. Oh, so much more creative than the novels themselves."

Y/N: "I suppose I can see that... I could imagine that such long servitude might end up getting a bit dull over time. And I guess that might be another reason as to why Ganyu has always worked so hard for the Qixing, to keep herself busy and occupied with all sorts of works?"

Yae Miko: "Oh? So you do know Ganyu? I was wondering if you might. Although she never did mention you back then... Hmm, now that you mention it, it's been a while since I last saw Ganyu. Before the Sakoku Decree came into effect, the two of us would often meet to discuss bilateral relations between our two nations. I always found her quite reliable."

Y/N: "Huh... I'd never heard about that before. She'd never even mentioned Inazuma to me before. But I suppose I wasn't really around in Liyue for all that long before I ended up here in Inazuma. And by the time I reawakened, this nation was already locked down. But then... did you only learn about Ganyu in recent years? And not from back during the Archon War?"

Yae Miko: "My my, the Archon War? Haha! Goodness, do you think me so old? Hmm... perhaps I should take some time at the Royal Hot Spring to relax and rejuvenate..."

Y/N: "Ah, my apologies. I didn't mean to insinuate that... well..."

Yae Miko: "Please, it would take far more than that for you to ever have a chance at riling me up. Hehe. You are far too naïve to compete with the likes of me. But, I suppose, should you wish to try... I would not say no to a new target for my teasing~"

Y/N: "I uh... I'm not so sure about that..."

Yae Miko: "A pity. I am quite certain that you would prove to be quite the entertainment in these... rather boring times, what with the lack of travellers we now suffer from. Hmm... actually, now that I truly consider it... I don't think I'll give you the option to decline such an arrangement after all! Hehehe!"

Y/N: "... oh."

Yae Miko: "'Oh' indeed! Now, I would imagine you have already had more than enough excitement for one morning, have you not? I shall give you some space now, so that you might get some much needed rest. Unfortunately for you I will not be able to join you, as I must return to my duties soon. And I suppose I ought to reassure the assuredly circulating rumours amongst my Shrine Maidens, those of today's incident and just what caused the sudden evacuation. In the meantime, you may take advantage of my vacant sleeping quarters. Go on then, off you go!"

The simultaneously teasing and pushy nature of Yae Miko being combined with the fact that I was genuinely quite exhausted had ended up with me relenting to the Kitsune's offer rather quickly. And after being directed towards the bed that I was granted permission to use for the time being, I took off the more uncomfortable pieces of armour and slipped under the covers of the delightful bed that assuredly put the cots of the Resistance Camp to shame!

It wasn't all too long that I fallen asleep in this heavenly bed either, quickly drifting off but mere moments after Yae Miko had closed the door behind her, as she left for her Shrine-related duties... and I wasn't sure whether it was purely because of how exhausted I was, or perhaps maybe because I could finally consider my connection to Osial truly severed... for the next several millennia at the very least! But even if they may one day return from their being sealed, I will at least have freedom from them for the next few years at a minimum so as to focus wholly on what I wish to: on helping the Resistance in its efforts for freedom against the oppressive Shogunate forces, and... to be able to find out just who I actually am... Where in Inazuma will I come to find my old home I wonder?  

* SEVERAL HOURS LATER *

It was definitely much later in the day when I finally awoke from my slumber again. And it was almost assuredly the same day as when I arrived here, as I don't think Yae Miko to be the type of person to allow someone else to rest in her bed overnight for her to have to sleep elsewhere!

And judging from the lack of shadows making it through the window, nor even being visible from outside, I can only assume that its pretty dead on midday. Meaning I got at least ten hours of sleep from this impromptu rest Yae Miko offered me. And I certainly feel much better for it! I can still feel a slight shakiness in my legs, but everything else seems to have recovered well from the good rest, and I'm feeling nearly good as new!

I wasn't yet standing up, just simply sitting upright in the bed I found myself in, looking out of the window to my side. The window that was pointed towards the main courtyard of the Shrine. With the large Sakura tree's branches drooping down into view, and the pretty petals that adorned them seemed to almost be playing with the wind as they danced in the air now free from the branches they were born from. Another thing I now noticed with this window, though, was that it was slightly open— enough so that I could hear the voice that seemed to come from the Shrine.

Yae Miko: "Oh? It would seem they have finally stirred."

I'm not sure how exactly she knew this, or what it was that gave it away to her. But it seemed that the Kitsune could tell that I had woken up, and audibly mentioned it out loud... but did she do this purely for herself? Or was she speaking with someone? I could only hear one set of footsteps moving in my direction though, so I presume it was the former, and that Yae Miko is coming to check up on me and then evict me from her room... but that... that figure that just passed by the window, towards the door... that figure seemed to be quite a bit shorter than Yae Miko is...

* knock knock *

Putting my trust in Yae Miko, hoping that she didn't just hook me in for a long con, I got out of the bed she had lent me temporarily and made my way towards the shut door, my still shaky legs struggling the tiniest amount with the sudden movement, and upon opening the door in question, I quickly recognised the mysterious figure as someone I knew, but someone I definitely did not expect to see up here... or wanted to...

???: "a–Ah, Y/N. It is nice to see you—Oh! I mean that, well, it's most excellent to see you in good health, especially after such an altercation as you had been involved in. I was certain that you would succeed, of course, but I am glad to see that it truly is the case."

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "I uhm... hehe...heh..."

Y/N: "... what are you doing here?"

Ayaka: "o–Oh? You didn't...? I see. Well... One of the Shrine Maidens came to the estate a short while ago, once we had all returned from the evacuation that is, and she told me that my presence had been requested atop the Grand Narukami Shrine. I was actually just talking with the Lady Guuji about the matter, whilst we awaited your waking because... well... the Lady Guuji said that you would like to speak with me?"

Y/N: "She did? Huh..."

Ayaka: "You look confused. Does that mean that this wasn't the case? Oh! My most profuse apologies! P–Perhaps there was a misunderstanding somewhere...?"

Yae Miko: "My my, doubting my word so quickly? How do you ever hope to rebuild the broken bridge between you two if you simply apologise and run away at the first sign of trouble, hm?~"

Ayaka: "l–Lady Guuji?!"

Y/N: "... I should've known you were the one that set this up..."

Yae Miko: "Come now. This nation is already proving to be rather quite hard on its people, surely you can find it in your heart to realise this fickle argument of yours is doing more harm than good to the both of you? I'm sure you agree~"

Y/N: "There wasn't an argument. She simply revealed to me by accident that she considers me nothing more than a tool to use for her goals."

Ayaka: "i– I didn't..."

Yae Miko: "Now now, Y/N, surely it is hardly befitting for one with such a storied history as yourself to be picking fights over such menial matters? Did miss Kamisato, over the time that you were friends with her, ever make you feel like you were 'nothing more than a tool?'"

Y/N: "Well... no."

Yae Miko: "And has she, in the time you've interacted with her, ever felt like your life was at risk?"

Y/N: ". . ."

Yae Miko: "Tut tut. There is my point exactly. Now, I must be returning to my duties, but miss Kamisato here will be needing an escort back down to her estate I might imagine, especially with those rowdy Resistance fighters running amok out there."

Ayaka: "o–Oh, I wouldn't want to make Y/N uncomfortable. I'm sure that I will be just fine—"

Yae Miko: "Now now, there will be no need for that. After all, Y/N here owes me quite the number of favours for past assistance I have given them.  And as such, I think I might just redeem one of them now, for just such an occasion~"

Y/N: "... fine. If that's really what you want of me. It won't kill me to walk beside her, I suppose, and I'm going the same way anyways..."

Yae Miko: "I do expect for the two of you to talk to one another, of course."

Y/N: ". . ."

Yae Miko: "And, as for my second favour, of the three that you still owe me. Why don't you go and fix up that dreadful storm on your little island, hm? I would like to send one of my Shrine Maidens over to the neighbouring island so as to deal with the Thunder Sakura issue I've noticed, but I must admit that the conditions there are a little unfavourable to send one of them over as is... not to mention all the wandering soldiers and war profiteers. So if you could get on that, that would be rather well appreciated, Captain Y/N."

Y/N: "... and how exactly do you expect me to... fix the weather, was it?"

Yae Miko: "Well, it's not just weather now, is it? No, there is most certainly a physical reason as to why there is a never–ending storm. In fact, I believe I heard the refugees of that nation who came to seek aid from the Grand Narukami Shrine had mentioned a 'Kaji' who has stayed behind on the island to fix the mess. Why don't you seek him out? You can make a little field trip out of it, I am sure it will be of little difficulty for you to handle such a task after all."

Y/N: "I'll... *sigh* I'll look into it when I get back. I'll see if I can find this 'Kaji' you mentioned, or at least someone who knows where I might find him."

Yae Miko: "Excellent, as I would hope. Now, off you two trot. I am a very busy woman after all~"

And without even giving either of us a chance to protest, the Kitsune Priestess had already started to stroll away, her hips swaying in a way that exuded the same maturity that she spoke with, and yet the underlaying trickster that she seemed to harbour was also evident with that smug grin I could just about make out to be on her face as she was walking away. And now, with Yae Miko having left, it was now just me and... her.

Ayaka: "w–well... would you wish to leave now? I fear we might be overstaying our welcome otherwise..."

Y/N: "... sure."

* * *

I didn't much want to even entertain the idea of speaking with her, with the Kamisato Ayaka I was now forced to escort for the next while. And it seemed she recognised that too, as she didn't attempt to stir up any conversation with me yet. Walking the entirety of the Shrine grounds atop the mountain peak in a blissful silence. It wasn't until we had reached the combined entrance and exit of the Grand Narukami Shrine and began to walk down the sloped path back down the mountain that Ayaka broke the pleasant silence with an attempt to engage with me again.

Ayaka: "...It is quite the pleasant afternoon, is it not? There is not but a single cloud in the sky. And, when compared to earlier on— when that beast attacked our nation and the sky was covered in such a grim layer of storm clouds, it... it really is quite relaxing." 

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "...As I understand it, Yashiori Island is plagued with similar ongoing storms? That was what Guuji Yae was alluding to, correct? It must be quite nice to take a break from that, even if for just a spell, I might imagine?"

Y/N: "... I suppose it is. But I'm here strictly on business."

Ayaka: "I... I suppose so... *sigh* ...Uhm? Y/N? I hope it isn't too presumptuous of me to ask you this, but... are you sure you're feeling well enough to make the trek back alone?  You seem to be limping a little bit on your legs is all. Are you hurt at all?!"

Y/N: "No. I'm not."

Ayaka: "o–Oh? Could you have perhaps had a couple more hours of rest at the Shrine then? Hmm... Oh, I know! There are still quite a lot of steps left for us to cover before we make it back down to the base of the mountain. But now that you have those glider wings, we could simply glide down to the estate alongside one another...?"

Gliding down...? I suppose that would be a pretty good idea. As I wouldn't then be exerting so much stress on my still somewhat aching legs. And it would make my life easier for this very moment too, what with my current attempt to conceal just how shaky my legs really were from Ayaka... of which felt like Déjà Vu to me for some reason... But even still, despite how good of an idea it is... I didn't want to go through with it. But not just out of a wanting to be petty with Ayaka again, rather...

Y/N: "I... I don't think that would be the best of ideas."

Ayaka: "Oh? Are you perhaps worried that something may happen that would endanger you should you try to glide? If you would be willing, I uh... I would be more than happy to allow you to simply hold onto me whilst I glide?"

Y/N: "That... isn't the reason why..."

Ayaka: "It isn't? Please, forgive me, but I fail to see what the reason might be. Please, if there is anything I might do to assist you, you only need to let me know. I wish to... I wish to... well—"

Y/N: "...It's not me. It's you. Namely, your outfit."

Ayaka: "My outfit? I don't quite understand? My garb should not interrupt with my ability to glide... not that I have tried yet for such a distance, I suppose... But then, if that's what is your worry, then perhaps you might be willing to provide me with aid in returning to the ground in the same way I mentioned earlier? o–Only if you are willing, of course! I would hate to presume and—"

Y/N: "You're wearing a skirt."

Ayaka: "i–I'm sorry? My skirt? I'm not sure I understand what it is that you're implying? There aren't many trees below us, so I should not be at any risk of getting caught in the branches at all, and nor would I intend to go so near to such obstacles even if I was wearing a different attire!"

Y/N: "... *sigh* You do recognise that this is a common path up to a nation-renowned shrine, right? A path that, up until recently, had been closed for evacuation. So, not only will the Shrine Maidens be returning to work, but also any who seek the facilities of the Shrine will also be visiting. And we would be gliding above all of them... with you in a skirt. Is it really that difficult to understand?"

Ayaka: "... o–oh. I see... Yes, I... well, I see your point now. The thought had never occurred to me, I suppose. I just... I was just hoping that I might have been able to offer you some aid like you did to me before..."

Y/N: "It doesn't matter. The longer we talk about it then the longer it'll take me to get back to my needed rest. So let's just walk..."

Ayaka: "Of course. And... Y/N? I hope you don't mind my saying, but... I appreciate that even though you are no longer all that fond of my presence, that you still thought of such a thing in consideration of me."

Y/N: "Mhm."

I don't really know why I did care. Why I didn't just leave her to figure out the folly of such an action on her own, once the rumours had started circulating, and the Kamera photos that people would assuredly have snapped and handed out amongst one another. But for some reason... I not only recognised the issue, but I warned her about it too. Why did I do that? I don't care for her anymore, not after learning what sort of person she really is... right?

Ayaka: "Y/N? If I might be allowed to fill the silence again for a moment, I would like to speak my mind about something that has been troubling me... That is to say: Openness. Openness is something I find very difficult. I constantly have to remind myself that as a lady of the Kamisato Clan, there are countless people watching and countless expectations to live up to. I must be a model of exemplary conduct at all times. But even so, shouldn't I still follow my dreams? Shouldn't I... n–no, never mind that last bit. I... well... it's a little bit more embarrassing to admit..."

Y/N: "And why exactly is it that you're talking about this issue with me...?"

Ayaka: "I... well... Truthfully? I suppose it is because you simply do not care. You never did care. Not about who I was to the Inazuman people, nor my position within my clan. You treated me as nothing more than just another fellow human, and I... I really appreciated that. It meant that I could have the opportunity to speak with one without worrying about my image as the Shirasagi Himegimi... to see what it was like to have a... a genuine friend..."

Y/N: "Genuine friends don't often speak behind the other's back."

Ayaka: "I suppose not, no. Although, I... I don't suppose that they would omit information from their friends either, would they? Like you did with your not telling me of your past in another nation?"

Y/N: "My past was none of your concern. And regardless, you only cared so you might know how powerful I might be. And to whether I might be useful in a direct confrontation with the Electro Archon herself, having heard that I bested a God before."

Ayaka: "That was only of interest to me at the beginning, before I met you for the first time. After that... I... I just wanted to learn more about you. I thought it might have proven a good way to become friends, like I had read in those light novels."

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "I really did quite enjoy our time together, as what I thought to be friends I mean. Such a time may have indeed been, regrettably, rather short, and with a... rather unpleasant ending. But I remember the moments that we did share quite fondly: of the conversations that we had together, of the meal that we shared, and the sleepover that followed afterwards. Did you not also enjoy those times together?"

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: *sigh* "I suppose you probably didn't find as much enjoyment in our time together as I did. I suppose you likely have had far better interactions with your real friends, right? Back before Inazuma... and also with Yoimiya..."

I wasn't quite sure what to say to that... because, well, it wasn't strictly true... but fortunately a distraction quickly made itself apparent, as we had reached the foot of the mountain, and we had reached the end of the path. The path that led towards the Kamisato Estate, of which it was my task set by Yae Miko to escort Ayaka back here.

Y/N: "... Well, that's the estate. I suppose this is as far as I need to go to fulfil my request. I'll take my leave back for Yashiori Island and—"

Ayaka: "w–WAIT! Please. Wait, just for a moment longer... please?"

Y/N: "I really shouldn't. I will likely be missed if I take too much longer to return."

Ayaka: "I understand, and I do not wish to be a nuisance at all, but... well... I just noticed that you left your equipment up atop the Shrine, right? Did you perhaps forget to collect it before we left?"

Y/N: "... damnit. I'm going to have to head back up there and get it..."

After all, we're not really in a position to simply replace so much equipment on such a whim. Especially when my armour was not damaged in battle at all, but simply just left behind in a... arguable difficult place to retrieve it, being the Guuji Yae's private quarters found at the Grand Narukami Shrine, on an island we aren't even able to compete on currently. But I suppose, as annoying as this might be to climb back up and down once more, I might at least have an opportunity to speak with Yae Miko once more, to confirm that I did indeed see her commandment through, of walking Ayaka back to her home safely.

And... I suppose I could probably just glide back down instead of climbing back down. Without Ayaka and her skirt accompanying me, I'd be able to simply glide away... I wonder if I could make it to Kannazuka Island from up there by gliding...?  It would certainly help me in avoiding walking on my still exhausted legs at the very least! And—

Ayaka: "No need! Please, allow for me to  send somebody up there to fetch it for you! I... well... I actually had asked Sayu to remain at the estate, should I have need of her services, and... should you have been willing to return to the estate with me, so that she might have a chance of seeing you again... I could have her collect your equipment in your stead whilst you rest here, and then when she returns she could accompany you to the shoreline of Narukami Island perhaps...? She could also source you a boat that you could use, if you would like? And, Sayu willing, she could also escort you up to Yashiori Island also? So that way you might be able to better preserve your strength?"

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "I... I hope I'm not being too forward? Please, only take as much as you wish of my services. I will not be upset should you refuse any particular aspects of my proposal."

Y/N: "... I suppose... I would gladly take you up on your offer. For the sake of my own self-preservation of strength, until I get some more rest..."

Ayaka: "You will? Excellent!! Oh... I mean... Excellent, I am glad to hear that. I will just go and alert Sayu to my request. And then, in the meantime, we could perhaps find somewhere quiet to sit and perhaps have some more tea?"

Y/N: "Just somewhere to sit will be fine, thank you. I had plenty enough tea as it is today from the Guuji Yae's teapot."

Ayaka: "I see. I understand. I will be back in just a moment then."

* * *

And just a moment it turned out to be. Ayaka really was quite fast in alerting Sayu to her new mission and then returning to my side just outside of the estate. I didn't see Sayu leave, but I was assured by the lady of the Kamisato Clan that Sayu was indeed inbound to the top of the Shrine. And then, somewhat reluctantly, I allowed for Ayaka to escort me inside the estate's grounds. Where, on our way towards the main building of which she wanted for us to enter together, I was able to espy the staff of the estate cleaning up the place. Whilst I might have prevented any serious damage to the surrounding area in my fight with Beisht, it would seem that the harsh storm's rain and powerful gales of wind had done some minor damages to the usual prettiness of the estate's landscape. Things like tree leaves being scattered across the floor, smaller rocks having been shifted from their ornate positions, and the waterlogged flooring that needed rescuing.

But now, I find myself inside this building again. The very same one that I was about to enter back then, when I first learned of Ayaka's treachery. And when she realised that I had caught her in the lie. And yet... even though I do still believe that to be the case, I can't help but feel doubts start to surface in my heart about it all... for Ayaka was either a fantastic actor and a great liar, or... this really had been a misunderstanding between us both...

Ayaka: "Are you comfortable enough here? I could procure some pillows for you to rest your head if you would like? Or perhaps, you could use my—"

Y/N: "No, I'm fine. Sitting down is fine enough."

Ayaka: "Oh? Okay then... if you are certain?"

Y/N: "I am."

Ayaka: "Well, as long as you're satisfied, that is more than enough for me."

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "Uhm... I... I'm not entirely sure as to what we might talk about now... I wouldn't suppose you would be all that interested in the goings on of the Kamisato Clan, and I haven't really had the opportunity... or the strength to seek new ventures since your departure. And I suppose you probably would be unable to discuss your time at the Resistance either, would you?"

Y/N: "Probably not, no. Not that I've been made privy to the sort of information you would find interesting or useful."

Ayaka: "I see... I'm sorry, but didn't the Guuji Yae mention your being a captain now? Would that perchance mean that you are in charge of some soldiers? How is that? Are they pleasant people?"

Y/N: "I am, yes. There's three of them. Each of them being wildly different to the other... *sigh* I'm not cut out to be a leader."

Ayaka: "Really? I am sorry, but I would have to disagree. Over the time that you spend here on Narukami Island, I have found you to be quite fitting for such a role. You did not ever leave anything to chance, and you would take matters into your own hands when you deemed it necessary. You were also very kind and understanding... although there is obviously a limit as to how much you are willing to take— something that I unfortunately learned the hard way."

Y/N: ". . ."

Ayaka: "I truly do believe that you would make a most fantastic leader that people could stand behind, and I'm sure that those that follow you do too. Could you tell me a bit about them? What are they like?"

The dialogue between us eventually did start to pick up and grow warmer, with Ayaka managing to find a way to worm her way in by getting me to talk about my troops. And we ended up speaking for quite a while about Hayate, Jaren and Yukina. The latter of which caught Ayaka's attention the most, as female soldiers were quite rare here in Inazuma apparently. And Ayaka had asked quite a fair few more questions about Yukina than she did the other two— of which she was fairly cordial and official with her questioning. 

But then, when asking about Yukina, she seemed much more... invested in what she was asking me, and she asked a much wider range of questions for her than she did the other two. Perhaps she knew Yukina from before the war? And that she was just trying to learn more about the fate of an old acquaintance? Not that I asked though, and nor did she explain as such to be the case. We were both being just as difficult as each other, it would seem...

Ayaka: "Well, they all seem very nice. Perhaps one day you might introduce me to them? Perhaps after this war has come to an end?"

Y/N: "Perhaps... assuming that we manage to make it to such an occasion."

Ayaka: "Oh, I am most certain that you will! I have complete confidence in your abilities as well as your fellow compatriots, from what you have told me of them thus far. And regardless, we must have faith in such a result if we ever wish for it to truly come to fruition."

Y/N: "Hmm... I suppose... Say, might I ask you something that has been on my mind for the past while?"

Ayaka: "Oh? But of course! What is it, Y/N?"

Y/N: "I was just wondering... when was it exactly that you actually noticed my forgetting my equipment at the top of the mountain? You didn't sound all that surprised when you pointed it out to me outside of your estate..."

Ayaka: "Ah, well... uh... *sigh* If I am to be entirely truthful with you? It was... Well, it was as we had just started to walk down from the peak of the mountain... but I had gotten distracted from the thought, and by the time I did remember... we were speaking to one another again, and I didn't want to disturb that... I... *sniffle* I must apologise, I did not mean to be such a nuisance again, I promise!"

Y/N: "You... *sigh* Why is it that all my interactions with you end up being manufactured to such a degree? Must you always have such control over every facet of our interactions?!"

Ayaka: "I– I don't mean to... I... I..."

Y/N: "Don't bother trying to come up with some answer. I'm leaving. I'll just go and look for Sayu on my own, and then I'll take my leave."

Ayaka: "y–you're leaving...? But I thought that... Are we not to seek amends, like the Guuji Yae recommended of us?"

Y/N: "And how would you suppose we are to do that? Am I simply to surrender all my grievances with you whilst you still remain exactly as you were? Controlling and deceitful?!"

Ayaka: "p–Please! I didn't mean to! This isn't what I wanted! I...!"

Y/N: "This is to be goodbye, Kamisato Ayaka. I do not imagine we will see much of each other in the near future, or the distant future either... But at least we can say that we officially ended whatever this was between us this time."

Having now stood back up, I could feel a slight twinge in my legs still, but much more bearable than it was earlier on the hike down the Shrine's path down to the estate. And, having given Ayaka my decisive farewell, I had turned about and was heading towards the door that left the small room we were in and back towards the main hall of the building. But it seems that I was not to be allowed to leave so simply, as Ayaka had followed behind a short distance behind me, pleading for me to stop...

Ayaka: "w–wait..."

Y/N: "Why would I? I am not your friend anymore, am I? Do you still want to be friends with me?"

Ayaka: "I... I do!"

Y/N: "... And why is that? Is that because you feel comfortable being around me?"

Ayaka: "Yes! You understand me, me and my awkward self... You have been so kind to me."

Y/N: "Quit acting so spoiled. When you spoke ill of me behind my back, you lost the right to want those things!"

Ayaka: "I..."

Y/N: "I shouldn't have tried to be your friend. I can't associate with you anymore. I don't want to!"

Ayaka: "n–no... wait."

Y/N: "I won't wait. I won't wait for anyone anymore. You've taught me why I shouldn't."

Ayaka: "Y/N... I... Y/N, don't do this! Please, listen to me!"

But I didn't want to listen to her and her honeyed words any longer, no. So instead, I simply continued my walking, leaving Ayaka to follow in my shadow as I made my way for the door that led back outside. That was until... *schwing* I heard the noise of a weapon being drawn from behind me. The sound of the cold steel immediately warning me that I need to turn around and defend myself.

But... what I saw upon turning around to face my ex-friend was not what I had expected to see at all...

Ayaka: "p–Please... Take my blade. I have but one last request to make of you. But please, take it first."

Held out towards me, laying flat horizontal across both of Ayaka's palms, was a sword... presumably her sword, if she had it on hand like this. Unless... unless she had been planning this for a while? Would that be too much, too far for me to assume? Am I being too sceptical at this point? Is she really that conniving? Or should I give her at least this much...?

... Fine. I will take her at her word one last time.

I step back on over to Ayaka, who was looking at me with pleading eyes akin to a begging puppy dog, and I took the gift that she held out to me in a similar fashion as to how she was holding it. With it resting upon both my hands as I inspected the work of it. It was certainly a finely crafted blade, with an ornate styling to it that exuded a sense of royalty and importance.

But now, with her weapon relinquished, I expected for her to say something else, for her to make a request of me– most likely for me to carry her weapon with me into battle against the Shogunate, so that I might remember her or something along those lines. But... what I was met with instead... it was far more confusing...

Instead of speaking, Ayaka had simply fallen down to the ground. Kneeling against the wood beneath us, her head now pressed down on the same hard floor. All this whilst also prostrating herself... is this...? Dogeza? I remember reading about this before in the past, in books that I had read back in Liyue. Supposedly, it has a few reasons to be used, be that to show deference to a person of higher status, as a deep apology or to express the desire for a favour from said person.

But why is Ayaka doing this to me now? Whilst I hold her weapon in my hand? Where she is utterly defenceless and at my mercy...? 

Ayaka: "I thank you. I thank you for trusting me at least this much... Now, all I might still do is to offer you myself and nothing but my whole self."

Y/N: "Huh...? What are you... What are you saying, Ayaka?"

Ayaka: "My life. It is within your hands, for you to do as you wish with it. You have my blade, and I shall not resist should you wish to use it against me, to end me. I leave you the nape of my neck,  open and undefended, so that you may make it clean and avoid dirtying your attire with my blood."

Y/N: "You want me to...? Are you serious? This seems like an overreaction, surely..."

Ayaka: "I wish to mend the schism between us that I have caused. Even if I must pay with my life to do so. All I ask is that you let my transgressions against you die with me, do not hold malice for the Kamisato Clan in my stead, nor the people of Inazuma. And please, save them in the wake of my passing, save the victims of these harsh decrees. If you would still not do so for me, then at least do it for them? The downtrodden people of Inazuma, those who need your help. Please?"

Despite the topic that she was discussing, there was no hint of fear, no catching words in her throat, it did not even sound like she had any worries at all. It seemed to be nothing but determination in her words. She... She really means what she says? She's willing to give her life for the cause? For the people of Inazuma... and so that I might forgive her?

Is she truly that desperate for forgiveness? To atone for what she did? She would so easily throw her life away for such things... for me...?

Y/N: "Ayaka... You really are an idiot, aren't you..."

Ayaka: "Think what you will. I have made up my mind, and I... I wish to set things right, to restore your trust in the Inazuman people!"

Y/N: "That's not... *sigh* That's not what I meant..."

It seemed she wasn't understanding what it was that I meant without it being explicitly said. But perhaps she might understand from a more... visual cue? And so I gave her one. Not by slicing her blade through her exposed neck like she was expecting me to, but rather by throwing the blade to the ground. A harsh sound of metal meeting the hard wood floor ringing out throughout the building. A sound which made Ayaka visibly flinch— I suppose because she had expected it to be the last sound she might hear before it all faded away for her...

Y/N: "Look at me."

Ayaka: ". . ."

Y/N: "Ayaka. Look at me... Please."

Reluctantly, it seems, she obeyed my request. Her neck slowly operating so as to fulfil my wish and to bring her face up from the ground, her eyes remained closed and yet her face had now come entirely into view. Eventually, once her head had finished tilting upwards, that was when her eyes finally opened back up— a hint of curiosity was definitely present on her face, but the majority of what I saw when I looked at her now was steadfastness: what I could only assume to be an unwavering devotion to her word.

Also on her face, as I had just noticed, was a very evident red mark on her forehead. A mark that I assume was caused by her pressing her head down against the hard wooden floor with as much pressure as she did, in this pose of apology that she had thought necessary in this overdramatic scheme of hers.

Y/N: "You truly stand by what you said?"

Ayaka: "I do, yes."

Y/N: "Well then, so will I. For I will not break the promise I made to myself, of which I vowed to never spill another's blood so needlessly again, and I will not kill you and break that promise for such a reason as you have given me."

Ayaka: "You won't...? But then... that would mean...?"

Y/N: "You were willing to give your life for this. For something I would have likely just moved on from, truth be told. This truly matters to you, to make amends... no matter the cost to you... and that, well, that... I suppose is reason enough to try and let bygones be bygones."

Ayaka: "r–Really?!"

Y/N: "Yes. I... I am willing to try and start afresh, to give you another chance. To try being... friends again."

Ayaka: *sniffle*

Y/N: ""a–Ayaka?!

Ayaka: "I... I must apologise! *sniffle* This is hardly befitting of me to... to break down like this... The last time that I could recall losing my composure to such a degree... *sniffle* was back when my parents..."

Ayaka had cut herself off here, seemingly too sad to say any more. And she certainly now looked it... what with her previously assertive and steadfast aura now crumbling away in favour of a broken down façade— of tears flowing down her cheeks like a waterfall, dropping down onto and staining her outfit with little droplets of sadness. And yet... the smile on her face made it very difficult for me to believe that this was purely sorrow.

Ayaka: "you... You are really willing to give me a second chance...?"

Ayaka was still kneeling down on the ground, looking up at me, and this... this isn't how I wish for our dynamic to be, for either of us. If we are to actually be friends, then this time it will be as equals, without any level of hierarchy over the other. I... I wasn't quite ready to attempt any physical contact with her yet, so instead of reaching over and pulling Ayaka back up to her feet, I instead decided to just kneel down in front of her, so that I would be at her level instead.

Now down on the ground with her, our eyes on the same level with one another, I felt like we could probably continue this conversation between one another... with neither of us having any advantage over the other, like real friends would.

Y/N: "I am. I'm willing to put past transgressions behind us, if you are willing to forgive my... rather sour attitude I adopted in recent times?"

Ayaka: "I— Of course! I would love for nothing more! You... You are truly too kind, Y/N. Thank you. Your charity and kindness on towards me will not be taken advantage of again, I promise you this."

Y/N: "I'm... I'm glad to hear it. But, you know? You really took quite the gamble there, in that I would not just follow through with what you asked of me. To kill you with your own weapon."

Ayaka: "Really? You think so? I didn't believe it to be a gamble at all. I had total trust in you after all. I had complete trust in you, Y/N."

Y/N: "That... That doesn't really help your case. It makes your willingness to sacrifice yourself seem much less risky, if you knew I would not follow through with it. But... out of respect for this fresh start, I'll let it slide."

Ayaka: "Thank you, Y/N. I look forward to a long and prosperous relationship with you, my first real friend!"

<8302 words>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.9K 2.8K 23
"What exactly are you?" "I'm a demon, wait no... That will be an understatement... I'm the Devil of the Flame Underworld." ---------- "Love, huh? I'v...
97.1K 3.2K 25
"Apologize," he said seriously as he leaned on his table while his arms are folding on his chest. "I'm fucking sorry." "LANGUAGE." "...motherfucke...
110K 4.5K 29
Nahida, or rather Y/N in this case, has suddenly been transported into another world! Like the novels that hail from Inazuma --where the protagonists...
60.2K 1.9K 22
Before Kujuo Sara, there was another, another commanding force that raised his sword and valor in the Electro Archon's name. He who was known as the...